Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 8 of 11
Re: Tel Aviv 04 June 2014 Rolling Stones show live updates
Date: June 5, 2014 16:01

Hey Pauly, nice review. Must have been especially fun to watch the band you are passionate about with your relatives whom had never seen the Stones before. A great description of the overall vibe of the gig from your vantage point as well. As for your other story......wtf was he thinking, unbelievable!

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: June 5, 2014 16:02

Ladykiller
duke richardson
..and MT did not play on satisfaction?

If Mick Taylor plays with an acoustic guitar on 'Satisfaction' or not, its doesn't matter. Because you can't hear him during Keith & Ronnie play the electric guitars. If Mick Taylor would also play an electric guitar on 'Satisfaction', then it would be of course another story.

of course and it still adds to the amazement ..

why they only really have Mick Taylor on one song..

we'll just have to accept it..

Date: June 5, 2014 16:03

Ladykiller
duke richardson

If Mick Taylor plays with an acoustic guitar on 'Satisfaction' or not, its doesn't matter. Because you can't hear him during Keith & Ronnie play the electric guitars. If Mick Taylor would also play an electric guitar on 'Satisfaction', then it would be of course another story.

Of course you can hear him. Listen for yourself from 0:10 and on...

Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: June 5, 2014 16:07

paulywaul

...The Rolling Stones in Tel-Aviv on 4th June 2014.

Simply f***ing great it was !

Great,great review, paulywaul!!!

And you are right - it was Mick's show. So much power and passion. He definitely has another stage presence than in Hyde Park(my only live Stones experience)
Seems to me - I might be wrong - that Jagger is somehow different performer now in these last European gigs. Remind me of all the RS movies of 70s early 80s I've seen

Date: June 5, 2014 16:08

DP- after seeing one of the earlier vids of satisfaction, it looked like he wasn't on it..this one is much better

thanks.

Date: June 5, 2014 16:14

duke richardson
DP- after seeing one of the earlier vids of satisfaction, it looked like he wasn't on it..this one is much better

thanks.

And much closer to the soundscape you get in the arena smiling smiley

Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: June 5, 2014 16:29

The Rolling Stones in Tel Aviv: Nothing less than a natural phenomenon
[www.haaretz.com]

Posted by: Ladykiller ()
Date: June 5, 2014 16:44

DandelionPowderman
Ladykiller
duke richardson

Of course you can hear him. Listen for yourself from 0:10 and on...

you can hear MT only a little bit (which is just like nothing), but absolute not the way like you can hear him on 'Midnight Rambler'.

The guitar solo by MT is more than absolute killer in "Can't You Hear Me Knocking"! They should allow MT to play this song in every concert on this tour!!!

Date: June 5, 2014 16:48

<you can hear MT only a little bit (which is just like nothing)>

Ah, you were comparing it to guitar solos! That's another matter smiling smiley

Taylor does a fine PERCUSSIVE job on Satisfaction with the acoustic guitar.

Posted by: sodapop ()
Date: June 5, 2014 16:54

slew
What is with all of the whining on this board. Here is what we get lately:
1) Keith is somehow a liability to the Rolling Stones. Hello Keith is the spirit and soul of the Rolling Stones we have people suggesting that he should take a limited roll. Well folks if he did that it would no longer be the Rolling Stones. The photo of the Stones getting off the plane in Tel Aviv someone stated Keith looks old and lost. Please he looked fine in the other photos snapped moments before or after.

2) The setlist is filled with "warhorses" I prefer to call them some of the best songs in rock history and for most of us the songs that got us all interested in the Stones. The Stones have never played in Israel do expect them to go out and play Stoned or Gomper? No. They are going to play the hits. One day in the near future we will only hear cover band trying to do these songs justice and will wish that the Stones could play them,

3) They don't sound like they did in 1973. Of course they don't its 2014 and most of these guys are over 70 and they still put on one of the best rock shows out there!

4) Lisa is a cow and can't sing anymore. I wonder what that poster looks like.
Lisa can still sing and no she is not the sex pot she once was but I give the Stones credit for keeping her around.

We should all be thankful that these guys are out there playing and should not take it for granted.

I can not take all of the negative crap that everyone seems to write.

oh please....most of the stuff on here is of the Tiger Beat mentality...it's actually more interesting to read posts that have some content and weight - vs. the slobbering over Keith Richards lousy guitar playing and the fact he can't hold a thought.

Date: June 5, 2014 17:14

<it's actually more interesting to read posts that have some content and weight - vs. the slobbering over Keith Richards lousy guitar playing and the fact he can't hold a thought.>

This is Keith Richards (70) rocking hard yesterday in Tel Aviv. All the reports so far, from good, long time posters who went to the show, tell that he and the others did a great job.

Posted by: JS ()
Date: June 5, 2014 17:14

Our heroes visited the Western Wall -- check it out!!!!

Charlie Watts: [www.facebook.com]

Ronnie Wood: [www.facebook.com]

Mick Jagger: [www.facebook.com]

Chuck Leavell: [www.facebook.com]

Date: June 5, 2014 17:17

DandelionPowderman
<it's actually more interesting to read posts that have some content and weight - vs. the slobbering over Keith Richards lousy guitar playing and the fact he can't hold a thought.>

This is Keith Richards (70) rocking hard yesterday in Tel Aviv. All the reports so far, from good, long time posters who went to the show, tell that he and the others did a great job.

playing JJF in this pic I bet..

great pic of Keith!

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: June 5, 2014 17:34

caschimann
paulywaul
Here's a story I have to share with everybody.

As my cousins and I were entering the site, we got held up in a short line of people that were waiting to go through security, because some guy was getting turned inside out and was being asked lots of questions, and the line wasn't moving. We simply moved to another line and 5 minutes later we were in.

About an hour later we were talking to some people sat on the grass next to us and who had also been caught up in that particular roadblock, and they explained to us what security had found on the guy. They'd found a bloody hand grenade.

It turned out the guy had nicked it from his army base, and effectively removed the explosives part of it, but thought it would be a nice thing to let off at the end of the show just to "localise" the pyrotechnics in his part of the GA area !! A homemade incendiary device, just to add to the festivities !!

Jesus Christ, only in Israel !! Take a camera - OK. Take water - OK. Take your sandwiches - OK. But in Tel-Aviv - take your hand grenade as well !!

It takes all sorts, I'm only glad the bastard (and his celebratory homemade incendiary device) didn't make it in and wasn't hanging out in our vicinity.

FFS !!

What a story.
Mick - who is on IORR very regulary - will have a smile/shock.
And will enjoy your review above.

Wow. You think Mick Jagger spends one second of his time reading internet boards about the Rolling Stones (i.e., that he spends his time reading what you and i have to say)? Hah! That is hilarious.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: June 5, 2014 17:51

That's a great story, paulywaul, thanks for sharing with us. thumbs up

Here's some videos I found today:

Posted by: muenke ()
Date: June 5, 2014 17:55

Rokyfan
caschimann
paulywaul

As my cousins and I were entering the site, we got held up in a short line of people that were waiting to go through security, because some guy was getting turned inside out and was being asked lots of questions, and the line wasn't moving. We simply moved to another line and 5 minutes later we were in.

About an hour later we were talking to some people sat on the grass next to us and who had also been caught up in that particular roadblock, and they explained to us what security had found on the guy. They'd found a bloody hand grenade.

It turned out the guy had nicked it from his army base, and effectively removed the explosives part of it, but thought it would be a nice thing to let off at the end of the show just to "localise" the pyrotechnics in his part of the GA area !! A homemade incendiary device, just to add to the festivities !!

Jesus Christ, only in Israel !! Take a camera - OK. Take water - OK. Take your sandwiches - OK. But in Tel-Aviv - take your hand grenade as well !!

It takes all sorts, I'm only glad the bastard (and his celebratory homemade incendiary device) didn't make it in and wasn't hanging out in our vicinity.

FFS !!

What a story.

Wow. You think Mick Jagger spends one second of his time reading internet boards about the Rolling Stones (i.e., that he spends his time reading what you and i have to say)? Hah! That is hilarious.

Why should it be? they have got tablets and stuff and, before going to sleep, for sure enough time for surfing a Little bit ... why not having a look at iorr? he´s a human beeing ...

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: June 5, 2014 17:59

duke richardson
DandelionPowderman

playing JJF in this pic I bet..

great pic of Keith!

Really great! Deserves a spot on the front page, I think. smiling smiley

Lovely reports everyone, thanks so much for the pics, posts, and videos!

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: June 5, 2014 18:21

paulywaul

FFS !!

On my most recent visit to Israel (which was my son's first), we were coming back from a movie late at night, on a bus on Dizengoff, and in the seat just in from of us was a soldier cleaning his rifle. My son just turned around to me and said, "WTF!"

Posted by: Wroclaw ()
Date: June 5, 2014 18:24

BTW… among all phrases (in Hebrew) the Jagger produced (almost between each and every song…) there was one the proved that he either read seriously, or was briefed by someone who knows the history of the Stones in this country – He introduced the band as “Anachnu HaAvanim Hamitgalgelot” – “We are the Rolling Stones” – some anachronistic comment about the days (lasted until the mid 80’s) that British invasion bands were given names in Hebrew – something that sounds ridicules today… Herman Hermits (Mitbodedei Herman), The Who (HaMi), The Beatles (HaHipushiot), Cream (Katsefet), The Animals (HaHayot). The remark drew laughs from the older people who recalled that in some embarrassment perhaps, while the younger ones were sure he was making a joke.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: June 5, 2014 19:01

These performances are tremendous. They are younger here than a year and a half ago. Could be the dry heat and the event itself but this tour is hitting new heights..

Posted by: RockinBud ()
Date: June 5, 2014 19:19

It is no coincidence that our band played the night of the holiday of Shavuot which commemorates Gods gift of the Torah to Moses on Mt Sinai...thank God for giving the Rolling Stones to the world

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: June 5, 2014 19:24

does anyone know if the PM Bibi Netanyahu was at the show ?

Posted by: Sjouke ()
Date: June 5, 2014 19:26

It was a short night after the gig in Zürich, with lots of traffic before getting home and a very early flight on Monday morning from Basel to Tel Aviv. We had a few days to spend in Israel before the concert, so we had time to visit the Old City in Jerusalem and meet with some friends in Tel Aviv. But Wednesday was the day we were all waiting for: the Rolling Stones for the first time in their career in Israel. Due to a Jewish holiday (Yom Ha Shavuot) from Tuesday evening until Wednesday lot of places were closed and the show would start only at 21.15 so all people would be able to travel to the park in time. First of all, Wednesday was hot, really hot, there was this terrible “khamsin” and temperatures were very high. A good opportunity to spend some time on the beach and in the water. Close to 18.00 we arrived at the Ha Yarkon Park and we just followed the people towards the venue. There were no directions in English, only in Hebrew. The gates were still closed. But soon the gates opened and people were entering the field. There was not so much choice in merchandising. They only had a handful of the 14onFire T-shirts, one Tel Aviv specific one, but nothing with Hebrew text on it. Also the choice of food and drinks was very limited compared to other European venues. It was a long wait in the heat until the support act started. I don’t remember his name but he is very popular in Israel and the public reacted very enthusiastically. But we were all waiting for the Rolling Stones first appearance of course. Around 21.15 the lights went off, the drum beat started and the show was on! It was already completely dark from the beginning. They started off with a blistering sharp Start Me Up followed by You Got Me Rocking again, just like in Zürich. It was clear from the beginning that Keith was on fire and playing much better than in Zürich. Next was IORR and Tumbling Dice, both with nice video captures and also the public was completely giving their best. Mick Jagger was actually talking a lot in Hebrew, to the pleasure of the audience. Then first change of the show and it was expected as first show in Israel to get more Hot Rocks than usual: Angie was played, was it the first time this tour? It was a great version anyway, followed by the “new” song Doom And Gloom, which was largely picked up by the audience. The web request was Get Off Of My Cloud followed by the next surprise Paint It, Black. Somehow I expected this song to be in the list because of its oriental vibe and it worked well. From this point the show was song wise the same as in Zürich, but somehow qualitative much better. The Keith songs were more focused this time and both You Got The Silver and Can’t Be Seen sounded much better. Midnight Rambler is the highlight of the show every time. The song is brought to another level by Mick Taylor and the public loved it. Then it was time for the real Hot Rocks… all the big hits, we know these songs so well, but they were played good and it was pure enjoyment in the audience. On paper these same songs might look boring, but when being there they are not and they are simply one of the best classic rock songs ever. So we got Miss You with a lot of singing from the audience, Gimme Shelter with a great Lisa Fisher, Jumping Jack Flash, Sympathy For The Devil and Brown Sugar (with a good intro this time). The encore YCAGGWYW with a local choir and Satisfaction finished this historic show for Israel and the Rolling Stones. We were all hot, tired, sweated and half de-hydrated, but got one of the greatest shows ever. It was relative easy to get out of the park and with a taxi we were within 20 minutes back in Tel Aviv center for some well-deserved cold beers to enjoy this great night in Tel Aviv. Again a short night, since we have an early flight to Basel… next stop for me is Düsseldorf.

sjouke

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: June 5, 2014 19:34

muenke
Rokyfan
caschimann
paulywaul

FFS !!

What a story.

Why should it be? they have got tablets and stuff and, before going to sleep, for sure enough time for surfing a Little bit ... why not having a look at iorr? he´s a human beeing ...

Hahaha. You think what Mick Jagger is doing in bed before he goes to sleep is reading us. Hahaha.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: June 5, 2014 19:36

Rokyfan

Hahaha. You think what Mick Jagger is doing in bed before he goes to sleep is reading us. Hahaha.

Him no, but one of his assistants...?

Posted by: Wroclaw ()
Date: June 5, 2014 19:38

TheGreek
does anyone know if the PM Bibi Netanyahu was at the show ?

Dont think so. Security would have been tight and felt. BTW thebsecurity at the gates was very lazy... people git beer bottles in large numbers. They also did not enforse the large lence camera ban.

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: June 5, 2014 20:27

I've just been able to watch a couple of clips, but what I've seen has impressed me. Sounds like an "on" night. Midnight Rambler may be second only to Shanghai. Ronnie's solo at the end is great and his gritty tone is righteousthumbs up.
Love Mick cueing Keith (and Charlie) to come back for the fast part at the end.
They way Mick delivered "and it hurts" was great, and hey, he introduced Mick Taylor!

The other vid I caught was SFTD, and it's one of the better Keith solos I've heard from this go-round. If it wasn't for the backing track his playing would probably lock in with the band more.

I can be quite critical at times but that sounded about as good as possible relative to the current tour.

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: June 5, 2014 20:38

proudmary
paulywaul

...The Rolling Stones in Tel-Aviv on 4th June 2014.

Simply f***ing great it was !

Great,great review, paulywaul!!!

And you are right - it was Mick's show. So much power and passion. He definitely has another stage presence than in Hyde Park(my only live Stones experience)
Seems to me - I might be wrong - that Jagger is somehow different performer now in these last European gigs. Remind me of all the RS movies of 70s early 80s I've seen

Glad you got to see that. There's never been anyone better fronting a rock band.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: June 5, 2014 20:57

Splendid review indeed, Paul - thank you!

And thank you Dandelion P for that brilliant photo of Keith - who took it, please and thank you?

And someone PLEASE tell us more about Mick telling the band "Shut up already! Damn!" during Ramber -
when did he yell that, and what moved him to? I love it! And did they shut up already or not so much?
Minds want to know! :E

Date: June 5, 2014 21:04

with sssoul
Splendid review indeed, Paul - thank you!

And thank you Dandelion P for that brilliant photo of Keith - who took it, please and thank you?

And someone PLEASE tell us more about Mick telling the band "Shut up already! Damn!" during Ramber -
when did he yell that, and what moved him to? I love it! And did they shut up already or not so much?
Minds want to know! :E

#StonesTelAviv

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 8 of 11

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1794
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home