Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: MICK vs. BON, the numbers are in...
Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: June 4, 2014 11:12

I was lucky to see AC/DC with Bon when I was in high school. About when the live album was out. They were third bill to Ted Nugent & Cheap Trick. Totally blew those guys off the stage (& I liked Cheap Trick a lot. Still do.). @ 1 point Angus got on Bon's shoulders & they ran around the arena floor whilst Angus solo'd. He was a great front man.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 4, 2014 15:37

crholmstrom
I was lucky to see AC/DC with Bon when I was in high school. About when the live album was out. They were third bill to Ted Nugent & Cheap Trick. Totally blew those guys off the stage (& I liked Cheap Trick a lot. Still do.). @ 1 point Angus got on Bon's shoulders & they ran around the arena floor whilst Angus solo'd. He was a great front man.

could you imagine Mick on Keith's shoulders?!

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: June 4, 2014 22:18

Money Talks is my favorite ACDC song.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: June 4, 2014 22:31

Hey Treacle, interesting thread. One thing we must remember is that AC/DC wasn't huge when Bon was still alive. Popular in Australia and Europe but not much success in North America until Highway To Hell. It wasn't until Back In Black came out that suddenly everyone was discovering their back catalog. I remember every weekend party I went to in highschool back in 1981, AC/DC was always being played! Dirty Deeds wasn't even released here until early 81 to capitalize on the sudden success of BIB. It's unfortunate that Bon didn't live to see the huge success the band would eventually achieve (I'm sure they would have still been huge if he had not died).

Posted by: Monkeytonkman ()
Date: June 4, 2014 23:32

treaclefingers
OK, not getting too many takers on this thread so far, so obviously we need to consider broadening the scope just to be more inclusive.

How about this, Rolling Stones vs. AC/DC by album?

First up, Sticky Fingers vs. Back In Black. Sticky sold around 4 million world wide.

Back in Black, over 50 million. Gulp.

Let's go in track order, for simplicity.

SIDE ONE

Brown Sugar vs. Hells Bells = closer than you think, but we must go with Brown Sugar

Sway vs. Shoot To Thrill = again close, got to go with the Stones on this one.

Wild Horses vs. What Do You Do for Money Honey = ok, stones trifecta here.

Can't You Hear Me Knocking vs. Given The Dog A Bone = I wanted to give this to AC/DC, just for the title, but stones again, no comparison.

You Gotta Move vs. Let Me Put My Love Into You = OK, let's say this is AC/DC by a hair, again, just for the title.

SIDE TWO

Bitch vs. Black In Black = wow...so very difficult this one. Bitch by a nose.

I Got The Blues vs. You Shook Me All Night Long = finally an ease one, AC/DC

Sister Morphine vs. Have a Drink on Me = morphine vs. alcohol. Alcohol.

Dead Flowers vs. Shake A Leg = close, but have to go with Dead Flowers

Moonlight Mile vs. Rock and Roll Ain't Noise Pollution = easiest choice in the matchups.

OK, so by a score of 7 to 3, we have a clear winner, Sticky Fingers!

Never let tens of millions of album sales difference influence your decision, sticky is the better album!

Oh man. I Like this game!

No way on gods green earth I'd take moonlight mile over rock 'n roll aint noise pollution though.

This match is Fixed!!!!

\m/

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: June 5, 2014 00:31

Let's face it, it takes balls to put out a song like this. As a Mick vs. Bon scenario, what Stones song would you put up against it for comparison?

Posted by: Monkeytonkman ()
Date: June 5, 2014 13:37

Short n curlies?

Date: June 8, 2014 22:21

DGA35
Hey Treacle, interesting thread. One thing we must remember is that AC/DC wasn't huge when Bon was still alive. Popular in Australia and Europe but not much success in North America until Highway To Hell. It wasn't until Back In Black came out that suddenly everyone was discovering their back catalog. I remember every weekend party I went to in highschool back in 1981, AC/DC was always being played! Dirty Deeds wasn't even released here until early 81 to capitalize on the sudden success of BIB. It's unfortunate that Bon didn't live to see the huge success the band would eventually achieve (I'm sure they would have still been huge if he had not died).

You are quite correct. I recall hearing about Highway to Hell I think, when I was in high school, but I certainly didn't hear it.

In fact, my first memory of AC/DC was hearing the song Back In Black on America's TOP Ten TV show on a Saturday afternoon - with Casey Kasem of course.

But you're right, right after that they released Dirty Deeds, which I bought, and then I proceeded to by the whole back catalogue. I remember buying For Those About To Rock in 1982 I think...and thinking it was OK but not loving it.

I stopped buying AC/DC after that. I think I have Who Made Who as well, but I don't own any other post Back In Black albums.

I think what I appreciate most about Bon, beyond the growly vocal was the sense of humour he brought to the songs.

Date: June 8, 2014 22:22

stonehearted
Let's face it, it takes balls to put out a song like this. As a Mick vs. Bon scenario, what Stones song would you put up against it for comparison?

Parachute Woman - my heavy throbbers itchin' just to lay a solid rhythm down.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: June 8, 2014 22:31

I don't get it

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: June 8, 2014 22:59

I'm a little confused myself, but seems like the rest of them are having fun. I really don't see any comparison between the two singers. Apples and oranges.

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: June 8, 2014 23:20

I love AC/DC, I love Bon Scott, so charismatic, and a fantastisc lyricist.

But Mick Jagger is Mick Jagger...

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-08 23:23 by powerage78.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: June 8, 2014 23:27

stonehearted
Rockman

Love that photo, just hilarious! I wonder how the guy in the Genesis shirt made out that night--probably still has those jeans stored away somewhere, in a box, a bag, or a case, with the unopened condom packet still in one the pockets.

Or."keep ya talons off him ya witch, he promised me............

Date: June 9, 2014 04:52

ozziestone
Comparing Fool to Cry to The Jack is stretching things a bit.

why, aren't they both love songs?

Date: June 11, 2014 10:02

powerage78
I love AC/DC, I love Bon Scott, so charismatic, and a fantastisc lyricist.

But Mick Jagger is Mick Jagger...

And while Brian Johnson has charisma, I don't think it's nearly as great as Bon.

Which makes me wonder, had he not died, what would we be saying about Bon now, with a larger body of work to compare? Still not MJ I agree but what else would we have seen?

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 11, 2014 10:16

And while Brian Johnson has charisma,....ya reckon????

ROCKMAN

Date: June 11, 2014 10:40

Rockman
And while Brian Johnson has charisma,....ya reckon????

hey, I'm trying to be nice.

Date: June 11, 2014 12:06

...Nice!!! ... crumbie answer Treacle ..Nice is a friggin' biscuit ya have with ya granny ............

ROCKMAN

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: June 11, 2014 12:45

Brian is the man !

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Date: June 11, 2014 16:33

Rockman
...Nice!!! ... crumbie answer Treacle ..Nice is a friggin' biscuit ya have with ya granny ............

speakin' of crumbie...that biscuit looks like it could get a bit crumbie on ya shirt.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: June 11, 2014 18:49

treaclefingers
OK, not getting too many takers on this thread so far, so obviously we need to consider broadening the scope just to be more inclusive.

First up, Sticky Fingers vs. Back In Black. Sticky sold around 4 million world wide.

SIDE ONE

Brown Sugar vs. Hells Bells = closer than you think, but we must go with Brown Sugar

Can't You Hear Me Knocking vs. Given The Dog A Bone = I wanted to give this to AC/DC, just for the title, but stones again, no comparison.

You Gotta Move vs. Let Me Put My Love Into You = OK, let's say this is AC/DC by a hair, again, just for the title.

SIDE TWO

Moonlight Mile vs. Rock and Roll Ain't Noise Pollution = easiest choice in the matchups.

Never let tens of millions of album sales difference influence your decision, sticky is the better album!

Ummm... Bon Scott didn't sing on Back in Black, he was dead and replaced by Brian Johnson.

This is like someone using the Van Halen album 5150 as an argument for David Lee Roth, lol!

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: June 11, 2014 18:57

Jagger could never have the voice Bon has in Squealer!

Date: June 11, 2014 22:30

speakin' of crumbie...that biscuit looks like it could get a bit crumbie on ya shirt......that's why ya should always eat biscuits in the nude ... no matter where you are treacle

ROCKMAN

Date: June 12, 2014 02:29

jamesfdouglas
treaclefingers

SIDE ONE

SIDE TWO

Ummm... Bon Scott didn't sing on Back in Black, he was dead and replaced by Brian Johnson.

This is like someone using the Van Halen album 5150 as an argument for David Lee Roth, lol!

I don't expect you to read the entire post Jimmy, but reading the first line in this case woulda helped!

treaclefingers

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1859
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home