Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 3 of 14
Re: Why no Mick Taylor in final bow?
Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: May 29, 2014 15:39

kleermaker
duke richardson
I guess it's possible he wants this very limited role. Maybe he's much happier with his own bands in small venues.

Of course he doesn't and of course he isn't.

you sound certain, do you know Taylor?

I don't but its clear he's a retiring (no pun ) personality who never has been comfortable within the giant Stones ..

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: May 29, 2014 15:43

Father Ted
duke richardson
Stoneburst
duke richardson
...>>how come nobody here seems willing or able to post the truth about why taylor is on board with the lads these days? i know several posters are aware of what's going on. fear of reprisal? banning?<< (SadDayBadDay )

still waiting for the truth..or something..

Was SadDayBadDay banned after he posted this?

indeed there was a banning and it had something to do with his challenge..

he's the Joker and the Riddler combined..

He got banned for asking people to guess why MT was playing with the Stones? I didn't realise that MT had been brought back for some ulterior reason. Is there a story here?

I really don't think there is. Maybe there were some doubts about Keith and/or Ronnie going into the tour and he could have been seen as insurance. However, Ronnie has regained a form we haven't seen in ages and is playing great and Keith, while still pulling some big gaffes from time to time, has improved dramatically since the tour started and I don't think there is much cause for concern with either of them anymore.

Beyond that, it's a nice nod to their past to have him on board, and his underuse is probably due to mundane business/money matters.

More involvement means he could demand a bigger cut or royalties on things like the Hyde Park DVD, and it's no secret that MJ drives a hard bargain. That doesn't seem like a big conspiracy at all.

Also, the "show" has been structured the way it is from the get-go, and it's locked in. MT on rambler is like the local choir on YCAGYW, or the "old bluesmen" video that plays during song 6 in the set, regardless of what that song is.

Yeah it's a drag he doesn't get to do more but I don't feel there is any nefarious intrigue lurking behind the scenes.

Just my outsiders pov, for what it's worth.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-29 15:50 by andrewt.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: May 29, 2014 15:47

It's been discussed quite a bit here since he "officially" came back for the US 2013 tour (rehearsals in LA) and people in the know confirmed he was hoping he'd get to play more, actually I think he said so much in an interview. It looked promising after the Echoplex gig and the LA/3 gig a year ago exactly, alas it was not meant to be. Still, it's great to have him on an extended MR, imagine how disappointed everyone would have been if he hadn't been on board for "14 on Fire Europe"...

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: jammingedward ()
Date: May 29, 2014 15:48

There is also the fact that up until the Europe tour and rescheduled Oz dates they made a point of mentioning his involvement in the tour. Suddenly his name dissappeared from the press blurbs.

Posted by: Bellajane ()
Date: May 29, 2014 15:49

flacnvinyl
Chacal
NICOS
Because they see him as a guest I gues't.........at least it looks like this.......pity though I never make prediction as this will be the last tour (they already predicting this back in '73)......but if it is they should let him play more songs

No, that's not it.
If you watch the video of 'Satisfaction plus final bow' in Oslo, you'll see that Taylor is present for the first bow, but then makes a point of walking off the stage despite the invitation to stay for the next one.

He looks unhappy in most candid photos. We can't count out the fact that he quit and was invited back. That's it. Not full member as much as we would like. Mick is in charge... the fans want him to play a stronger role. But a 30+ year absence will certainly knock him down a notch or two. I'd love to see him there for the last half of the show....

I wonder why he's unhappy. He was unhappy as a Rolling Stone in the 70's and now, as well...possibly? Who knows what's going on behind the scenes and in his head for that matter. The fans want more, he is unable to deliver for whatever reasons...too much time has elapsed, old antagonisms and power-plays have resurfaced, he's being treated poorly, he's bored playing the old tunes. It's anyone's guess. It's tough to figure out. I wonder what the future holds for him and his re-association with the band...future tours, recordings?

Date: May 29, 2014 15:59

Bellajane
flacnvinyl
Chacal
NICOS
Because they see him as a guest I gues't.........at least it looks like this.......pity though I never make prediction as this will be the last tour (they already predicting this back in '73)......but if it is they should let him play more songs

No, that's not it.
If you watch the video of 'Satisfaction plus final bow' in Oslo, you'll see that Taylor is present for the first bow, but then makes a point of walking off the stage despite the invitation to stay for the next one.

He looks unhappy in most candid photos. We can't count out the fact that he quit and was invited back. That's it. Not full member as much as we would like. Mick is in charge... the fans want him to play a stronger role. But a 30+ year absence will certainly knock him down a notch or two. I'd love to see him there for the last half of the show....

I wonder why he's unhappy. He was unhappy as a Rolling Stone in the 70's and now, as well...possibly? Who knows what's going on behind the scenes and in his head for that matter. The fans want more, he is unable to deliver for whatever reasons...too much time has elapsed, old antagonisms and power-plays have resurfaced, he's being treated poorly, he's bored playing the old tunes. It's anyone's guess. It's tough to figure out. I wonder what the future holds for him and his re-association with the band...future tours, recordings?

andrewt wrote "Beyond that, it's a nice nod to their past to have him on board, and his underuse is probably due to mundane business/money matters.

regarding the mundane money matters- with this bunch is it mundane? I bet its pretty not mundane to Taylor, but I agree with your point that his limited involvement could be because of negotiations..

I sure hope for future touring..especially this fall in the US ..
recordings? probably more songs for download rather than an album..

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: May 29, 2014 16:09

jammingedward
There is also the fact that up until the Europe tour and rescheduled Oz dates they made a point of mentioning his involvement in the tour. Suddenly his name dissappeared from the press blurbs.

Good point, that could also mean that he's "back" (no longuer a "guest" ) and/or they don't feel they need to use his name to create a "buzz". How long can he be a "guest" anyway before it starts looking "silly"?

I think it's the usual problem that we as fans don't really get to understand, the fact that these guys don't discuss much at all, they just get on with the business at hand. Mick and Mick's people call the shots, the 3 other "partners" probably get some "early notice" of upcoming plans and get to "ok" them, but everyone else is probably left "guessing" a lot of the time, Taylor like the others. They probably get the call "we're touring XYZ from DATE1 to DATE2, are you in?"...and who's going to turn down the best gig in town?

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-29 16:09 by gotdablouse.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: May 29, 2014 16:10

Would a person who plays on every single concert be considered a guest artist?

Posted by: muffie ()
Date: May 29, 2014 16:12

I'd say the Stones threw him a bone so he'd cease TV appearances as a daggy relic doing old Stones tracks, diluting the Stones perpetually youthful brand. His limited appearance on stage may mean the Stones have little confidence in his current abilities. Could be related to MT's serious addictions, a battle KR has seemingly conquered. Maybe KR has some advice he can volunteer? MT hits those cigarettes pretty hard.

Posted by: erad ()
Date: May 29, 2014 16:17

muffie
I'd say the Stones threw him a bone so he'd cease TV appearances as a daggy relic doing old Stones tracks, diluting the Stones perpetually youthful brand. His limited appearance on stage may mean the Stones have little confidence in his current abilities. Could be related to MT's serious addictions, a battle KR has seemingly conquered. Maybe KR has some advice he can volunteer? MT hits those cigarettes pretty hard.
Ahh have you seen how many Ronnie puffs back?

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: May 29, 2014 16:19

muffie
His limited appearance on stage may mean the Stones have little confidence in his current abilities. Could be related to MT's serious addictions, a battle KR has seemingly conquered. Maybe KR has some advice he can volunteer? MT hits those cigarettes pretty hard.

He played a splendid solo during the rehearsals on Knocking (see the reports), played the best MR since 1973 in Shanghai, some months ago. He looks good. This speculation of yours is pointless.

Date: May 29, 2014 16:20

Stoneage
Would a person who plays on every single concert be considered a guest artist?

A habitual guest I guess.

Date: May 29, 2014 16:31

Bellajane
flacnvinyl
Chacal
NICOS

No, that's not it.

I don't think he was unhappy as a RS in the 70's. Yes he quit, but he's never been able to clearly explain why.

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: May 29, 2014 16:39

duke richardson

andrewt wrote "Beyond that, it's a nice nod to their past to have him on board, and his underuse is probably due to mundane business/money matters.

regarding the mundane money matters- with this bunch is it mundane? I bet its pretty not mundane to Taylor, but I agree with your point that his limited involvement could be because of negotiations..

I sure hope for future touring..especially this fall in the US ..
recordings? probably more songs for download rather than an album..

I'll venture that MT's income in the last two years is a huge bump up from where he was at before, and that his retirement fund is much healthier as a result.

Of course, with the massive dollars the tour rakes in I could see him looking around and thinking "hey, wtf?",but as you pointed out MT is a taciturn kind of guy to begin with so he may only appear to be pissed off when he's not actually.

I would love, love, love to see him do more onstage because I think he really elevates the performance of the whole band, first and foremost, rather than because of any idea I may have about what's "right".

When I say mundane, I don't mean to imply that it's unimportant, only that I don't think there is some deep, dark, scandalous drama or soap opera going on.

Date: May 29, 2014 16:41

gotdablouse
It's been discussed quite a bit here since he "officially" came back for the US 2013 tour (rehearsals in LA) and people in the know confirmed he was hoping he'd get to play more, actually I think he said so much in an interview. It looked promising after the Echoplex gig and the LA/3 gig a year ago exactly, alas it was not meant to be. Still, it's great to have him on an extended MR, imagine how disappointed everyone would have been if he hadn't been on board for "14 on Fire Europe"...

If he only will (be able to) play Ramblers like in Oslo I wouldn't be disappointed at all if he wouldn't play on this tour anymore. The Shanghai Rambler won't be surpassed. Hail to the person who filmed it and uploaded it to YT, because there's only one YT-video of that epic Rambler.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: May 29, 2014 16:43

kleermaker

I don't think he was unhappy as a RS in the 70's. Yes he quit, but he's never been able to clearly explain why.

Andy Johns : out of revenge against M&Keef,he talked MT into leaving the Stones...
Nick Kent : MT thought the Stones were finished (Keith was about to die from H and the band had no inspiration left) so he left the Titanic before it sank...

There are as many "why MT left" theories as there are "JFK was murdered" theories. grinning smiley
If I get to meet Dominic Lamblin (head of RS Records for France) I'll ask forhis theory.

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: May 29, 2014 16:44

jammingedward

Could be that if for some reason Taylor drops out, the Stones can't be charged with false advertising. Maybe he's not as much of a "sure thing" as he was last year. Pure speculation, obviously. But I hope to see him when/if they play NYC again, as I was very disappointed when he didn't show at Barclay's.

Date: May 29, 2014 16:52

bleedingman
jammingedward

Could be that if for some reason Taylor drops out, the Stones can't be charged with false advertising. Maybe he's not as much of a "sure thing" as he was last year. Pure speculation, obviously. But I hope to see him when/if they play NYC again, as I was very disappointed when he didn't show at Barclay's.

As far as I know they didn't advertise with Taylor for this leg of the tour. And reading the rehearsal reports there's not any reason at all to think "he's not as much of a "sure thing" as he was last year." On the contrary. As I said before our Norwegians friends and fans heard him play a splendid solo on Knocking and even initiate You Gotta Move.

Posted by: Stoneburst ()
Date: May 29, 2014 17:18

andrewt
Father Ted
duke richardson
Stoneburst
duke richardson
...>>how come nobody here seems willing or able to post the truth about why taylor is on board with the lads these days? i know several posters are aware of what's going on. fear of reprisal? banning?<< (SadDayBadDay )

still waiting for the truth..or something..

Was SadDayBadDay banned after he posted this?

indeed there was a banning and it had something to do with his challenge..

he's the Joker and the Riddler combined..

He got banned for asking people to guess why MT was playing with the Stones? I didn't realise that MT had been brought back for some ulterior reason. Is there a story here?

I really don't think there is. Maybe there were some doubts about Keith and/or Ronnie going into the tour and he could have been seen as insurance. However, Ronnie has regained a form we haven't seen in ages and is playing great and Keith, while still pulling some big gaffes from time to time, has improved dramatically since the tour started and I don't think there is much cause for concern with either of them anymore.

Beyond that, it's a nice nod to their past to have him on board, and his underuse is probably due to mundane business/money matters.

More involvement means he could demand a bigger cut or royalties on things like the Hyde Park DVD, and it's no secret that MJ drives a hard bargain. That doesn't seem like a big conspiracy at all.

Also, the "show" has been structured the way it is from the get-go, and it's locked in. MT on rambler is like the local choir on YCAGYW, or the "old bluesmen" video that plays during song 6 in the set, regardless of what that song is.

Yeah it's a drag he doesn't get to do more but I don't feel there is any nefarious intrigue lurking behind the scenes.

Just my outsiders pov, for what it's worth.

Define 'story', I guess. This was posted here a few months ago - [www.keno.org] - and the interpretation sounds about right to me:

'They could not answer the question as to why MT isn't playing on any of the songs that he recorded with them, both are totally in the dark with this and agree it makes zero sense as to why..... but..... I was told one last thing from my most trusted insider. He told me there was something he could not tell me about as to something that is going down that would make more sense as to why MT is being limited right now. That got me guessing of course, and I can't but think it's a money issue. IMO only, the only other thing it could be is that maybe it's a MT health issue? I was told he wants to play on more songs for sure, and that Keith and Ronnie loves him being up there playing with them. But where MT wants to play on more songs, maybe he can't because of his health? That's only a guess now, and we know MT has had these issues for many years now. But looking at what else I was told, about MJ calling the shots on how many songs MT plays on, then it couldn't be a health issue with MT. So I still think it's a money thing that's getting in the way and nothing more.'

FWIW I agree with you that a money issue is the most likely explanation. I know nothing about the law in this area but can well imagine that a certain level of involvement would give Taylor a claim to royalties, proper crediting or both on any further DVDs/live albums resulting from the current tour. The 'MT health issue' trope is a bit of a dead horse that a lot of people flog to try and rationalise Taylor's marginalisation, rather unconvincingly. I've seen Taylor solo gigs where his pleurisy was playing up and he looked bloated, tired and unhappy; he still performed sets nearly as long as those the Stones do currently and played outstanding guitar throughout. The idea that Taylor is marginalised because the Stones - a band that toured with a zombiefied Keith and self-destructive Ronnie throughout the past decade - aren't sure of his health is obviously ridiculous.

BTW, I have no idea if the subject of the above Gasland thread is what SadDayBadDay was referring to, but it seems likely.

Posted by: Chacal ()
Date: May 29, 2014 17:21

dcba
Andy Johns : out of revenge against M&Keef,he talked MT into leaving the Stones...
Nick Kent : MT thought the Stones were finished (Keith was about to die from H and the band had no inspiration left) so he left the Titanic before it sank...

There are as many "why MT left" theories as there are "JFK was murdered" theories. grinning smiley
If I get to meet Dominic Lamblin (head of RS Records for France) I'll ask forhis theory.

Well that should be most 'enlightening' as Monsieur Lamblin only met Taylor in passing when he was still with the band and had no plans to leave.
Also: Lamblin's involvement (until the late 70s) was with the label that had a distribution deal with RSR.

Posted by: Captainchaos ()
Date: May 29, 2014 17:29

I thinkn everyones in agreement he's been underused, and that the majority can see the band seems to step up a gear when he's there on stage.

IF this is the last tour it's a shame all we get is midnight rambler & CYHMK.
I've also noticed that where he plays in MR appears to be slowly getting reduced to just being allowed to fully express himself in the 'Jam' sections of the song now.

Initially he was playing nice higher neck counter riffs in the verse's rather than the oslo performance of safe simple chord strums that add half as much. being lower volume in realtion to the other 2, UNTILL he strats his riffing 'showcase' section. Then we get Ronnie now playing the latter section, where as before MT played this section.

to me that kinda does come across as putting him in a box of 'yeah here's where MT gets to play lead'. Outside of that he's not needed.. booooooooooooooo sad smiley

Date: May 29, 2014 17:31

Bellajane

I think it's quite clear to anyone that attended shows in North America 2013, on the Asian tour this year (or even watched videos), that Taylor is perfectly able to deliver ?

When the 'powers that be' allow him to walk on stage, that is... sad smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-29 17:32 by Chacal.

Date: May 29, 2014 17:35

Captainchaos
I thinkn everyones in agreement he's been underused, and that the majority can see the band seems to step up a gear when he's there on stage.

IF this is the last tour it's a shame all we get is midnight rambler & CYHMK.
I've also noticed that where he plays in MR appears to be slowly getting reduced to just being allowed to fully express himself in the 'Jam' sections of the song now.

Initially he was playing nice higher neck counter riffs in the verse's rather than the oslo performance of safe simple chord strums that add half as much. being lower volume in realtion to the other 2, UNTILL he strats his riffing 'showcase' section. Then we get Ronnie now playing the latter section, where as before MT played this section.

to me that kinda does come across as putting him in a box of 'yeah here's where MT gets to play lead'. Outside of that he's not needed.. booooooooooooooo sad smiley

Well observed and said (and sad).

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: May 29, 2014 17:37

All I can say is that in my brief conversation with him a year ago today--or possibly yesterday--he said he wanted to play as much as possible and that "he" (I assumed MJ) was going to be giving him more songs as the tour went on. But that didn't happen. (Mind you, he also thought he'd played 6 songs in LA.)

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: May 29, 2014 17:44

Chacal
Well that should be most 'enlightening' as Monsieur Lamblin only met Taylor in passing when he was still with the band and had no plans to leave.
Also: Lamblin's involvement (until the late 70s) was with the label that had a distribution deal with RSR.

Well he took enough pix of the band to fill a gallery so I guess he was reasonably close to the band...
[www.iorr.org] if you missed the thread.

DL also took Polaroids of the band the day after MT left. [culturebox.francetvinfo.fr] (pix #12 and 13).

So he might remember a thing or two... winking smiley

Date: May 29, 2014 18:07

dcba
Well he took enough pix of the band to fill a gallery so I guess he was reasonably close to the band...
[www.iorr.org] if you missed the thread.

DL also took Polaroids of the band the day after MT left. [culturebox.francetvinfo.fr] (pix #12 and 13).

So he might remember a thing or two... winking smiley

I was already familiar with the photos, but I still fail to see how attending a couple of 1970 French gigs, Montreux rehearsals 1972 and popping into the studio during filming of two promotional videos should make it possible for DL to explain why Taylor left.

Unless Lamblin took photos of the inside of Taylor's head of course.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 29, 2014 18:12

Aquamarine
All I can say is that in my brief conversation with him a year ago today--or possibly yesterday--he said he wanted to play as much as possible and that "he" (I assumed MJ) was going to be giving him more songs as the tour went on. But that didn't happen. (Mind you, he also thought he'd played 6 songs in LA.)

It's a head scratcher. By everything we've seen, MT has stepped up the game on the songs he's contributed on, and seems as though he'd be up for playing more, yet now, his role is being minimized even after all the positive.

I can imagine him being embarrassed to come aboard for the final audience bow, perhaps not feeling he'd contributed enough to warrant the accolades.

It will be very interesting if we ever actually find out what the heck is going on.

Date: May 29, 2014 18:14

treaclefingers
Aquamarine

It's a head scratcher. By everything we've seen, MT has stepped up the game on the songs he's contributed on, and seems as though he'd be up for playing more, yet now, his role is being minimized even after all the positive.

I can imagine him being embarrassed to come aboard for the final audience bow, perhaps not feeling he'd contributed enough to warrant the accolades.

It will be very interesting if we ever actually find out what the heck is going on.

it is a head scratcher. all could change in the next few shows.. he might bust out on Sway or something..

Posted by: StonesCat ()
Date: May 29, 2014 18:36

duke richardson
treaclefingers
Aquamarine

it is a head scratcher. all could change in the next few shows.. he might bust out on Sway or something..

Well, they soundchecked Knocking before the last show, and he played it at the last big super festival, so who knows.........You'd think that that meant there were still, at least, considerations given to doing other stuff besides Rambler.

Date: May 29, 2014 18:45

If they regularly have the same problems with CYHMK, as in the rehearsals, I can understand if they won't play it again. I hope I am wrong, though

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 3 of 14

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 2836
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home