Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Oasis vs Stones
Posted by: Marnix ()
Date: May 29, 2005 23:40

When I hear the new Oasis single ´Lyla´ on the radio or see it on mtv it reminds at ´Street Fighting Man´ of The Stones. Especially the intro and also the music of the chorus. Did anyone noticed this too or am I wrong about this ?

Re: Oasis vs Stones
Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: May 29, 2005 23:41

of course its a rip off. Its blindingly obvious!

and theres a song on their new album called "Mucky Fingers" too. Wonder what inspired THAT title....

Posted by: country honk ()
Date: May 30, 2005 00:07

Funny....

Oasis has mostly been a copy of Beatles.....

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: May 30, 2005 00:20

That must have been what I heard in passing today when I was out and about. I didn't know what it was but IMMEDIATELY thought it was a rip-off of Street Fighting Man.

Posted by: riffhard72 ()
Date: May 30, 2005 01:38

As soon as I heard it, I thought it was Street Fighting Man. Ridiculously and blatantly ripped off.

Oh well. Whoever said Oasis did anything original??

Posted by: Tornandfrayed ()
Date: May 30, 2005 01:42

riffhard72 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> As soon as I heard it, I thought it was Street
> Fighting Man.

Same here.
Oasis are so overrated, it´s not even funny. Still doesn´t prevent me from going to see them this Saturday winking smiley

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: May 30, 2005 01:57

Definitely some of SFM in that one.
Since they're Beatle mad, I think the "mucky Finger"
may come from a bastardized reading of "Come Together."
"Monkey finger, he soot, coca-Cola, etc...."
Nevertheless, I've always liked the band...for some reason.

Posted by: kienan ()
Date: May 30, 2005 05:29

the only good thing going for them now is Zak Starkey (a Beatle connection?). just hope he's going back to play with "the Who" when there tour is over.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 30, 2005 09:01

Zak is the son of Ringo. Keith Moon learned him to play drums btw.

Posted by: Rank Outsider ()
Date: May 30, 2005 09:08

I guess Zak's pa gave him a piece of advice too.

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: May 30, 2005 10:28

Indeed it's amazing. Just bought the cd because I'm going to the club gig in Brussels next saturday. I'm not a fan of the band but I think one should go if having a chance to see them in a venue with a capacity of 2000 people.

Posted by: elvisloose ()
Date: May 30, 2005 11:03

yeah,i think they should call the album "thieves like us"
the whole album sounds like stones,kinks,velvet,beatles.
but they're doing well

Posted by: LA FORUM ()
Date: May 30, 2005 11:16

Actually they steal mostly from the Soundtrack of our lives on this one. At least on Lyla

Date: May 30, 2005 11:48

Yes it is indeed Street fighting man. Thiefs indeed.

Posted by: The Stones ()
Date: May 30, 2005 12:00

I think "Lyla" is a pretty decent track and I'd prefer using the term borrowing, although I perfectly understand the copycat allegations, in this case rather than stealing.

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: May 30, 2005 13:14

I started a thread about this some time ago.
Everybody heard SFM in this song.

[iorr.org]

Posted by: phd ()
Date: May 30, 2005 13:33

Sorry, but that song does not remind of SFM. It is much more commercial. A soap opera...should sell well. As was not the case for SFM

Date: May 30, 2005 13:45

But the verse is a rip off. It's the same melody, riff and chords.

Posted by: Edward Twining ()
Date: May 30, 2005 13:56

There's also the Sweet's Blockbuster in the instrumental parts.

Posted by: RnT ()
Date: May 30, 2005 18:22

Well, to be honest: I'd rather listen to Oasis rock 'n roll ripp offs on the radio than boring 'originals' like Keane and Coldplay.

Posted by: stones40 ()
Date: May 30, 2005 18:46

Most youngsters of today have never heard Street Fighting Man by the Stones or anything from the 60's era.
Therefore Oasis (blatant copiers never originalists) can safely ripp of riffs by the Stones,Beatles/Kinks and their fans think that their music is brand new.
They have been around for 10 years and are very big in Britain & Europe so they must have something going for them.
Oasis have tried on 4 occasions to break America but Americans are not as easily fooled re Rock music as Europeans are and they have failed.

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: May 30, 2005 18:53

I still am not sold on Oasis. Noel is definetly a good somgwriter but, but...It reminds me of the Karl wallinger deal. World Party. He is excellent. But there is so much tribute, inside jokes and nods to others in-the-know, that I rarely hear anything straightup original. I listen and it's likie "Oh yes there's Prince...there's tyhe Stones...there's Beach Boys...."
It's like that with Oasis and the Beatles. Now the newest album so far on the radio I have been digging a lot. I was also surpsied to hear SFM so blatantly in the song. Now this is where soemone should step in and sue if at all. Leave the Verve alone and go after Noel.

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: May 30, 2005 22:28

Oasis even covered "Street Fighting Man" a few years ago...

"got to be worked on
don't have no bark nor bite..."

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: May 30, 2005 23:44

"Americans are not as easily fooled"

There is music that sells in Europe and not in the States. But there's also music that sells in the States and not in Europe. It has nothing to do with fooling people.
And by the way... Morning Glory reached quadruple platinum in the states. Be Here Now entered the charts at #2.

Oasis was a phenomenon in the mid 90s. The released a fabulous album (Morning Glory) and deserved their status as britpop-greats.

After that they kept on releasing the same album over and over again.

They never said they were original. Noel played the entire Stones, Beatles, Kinks catalogue his entire life. Once in a while something from those catalogues is featured in a song.
Noel can write decent songs... but they are way over there peak right now.

It's not because of the age of oasis fans that Noel ripps off other songs. Actually most of their fans know Get It On (Riff in Cigs & Alcohol), Imagine (Piano intro Don't Look Back in Anger), those two are the only ones that directly come to mind... they don't ripp off all the time... once in a while a great hook.

Posted by: stones40 ()
Date: May 31, 2005 02:18

Glad to see Bowiestone that you have picked-up at least 2 rip-off s from other peoples songs.
There are many others in the Oasis song catalogue ,borrowed or should one say stolen from others.
Perhaps Alan Klein might be interested in persuing Oasis over the copy of Street Fighting Man.
This is unlikely as Alan Klein is a very wealthy man
thru owing copywright to Stones songs from 1962-1971.
The Gallagher Bros have to be admired for creating a sound interwoven from over a dozen bands creative work.
Originality deserves to receive credit whilst copying
others and publishing songs as their own only deserves contemp.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1802
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home