Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1920212223242526272829Next
Current Page: 28 of 29
Re: Oslo 26 May 2014 Rolling Stones show live updates
Posted by: The Worst. ()
Date: May 28, 2014 19:47

proudmary
The Worst.
Mick had a message for all of you that complain about the total number of songs in the set list. I think it was before Honky Tonk Women, that Mick pointed out the fact that when they did their first gig in Norway some 49 years ago, they only played 9 songs - which he admitted was "a bit cheap". And now, half a century later (when they're in their 70s), they perform a phenomenal concert lasting for more than two hours.

You were there,The Worst? Did he say something else? some jokes in Norwegian? and what the story about the A-Ha song?

He had rehearsed a few lines in Norwegian. After IORR he said:
Det er fantastisk å være tilbake i Norge. (It is fantastic to be back in Norway!)
Tusen takk! (Thank you!)
Det er all norsken jeg kan. (That's all Norwegian I know.)

Before Worried About You he said "Vente litt" which simply means "wait a bit" (for the crew to get the keyboard in on stage).

He also said something I think no one understood (At least I didn't).

During the introductions he pointed out in Norwegian that Ronnie had new jogging shoes.

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: May 28, 2014 19:49

mr is the highest moment of the show thanks to mt.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: May 28, 2014 20:18

You look pretty fit, are you a runner ?

The Worst.
gotdablouse
Anyway...how much use did they make of the catwalk? Similar to HP, i.e. a bit of Mick, a bit of Ronnie and Keith and Mick during Miss You and quite a bit of Mick and Lisa for GS ?

Mick used it a lot. More than he did in London I would say.
I was standing right next to the catwalk, and he was out there dancing, clapping, smiling, singing and running frequently during the show.
It was more or less only during the first two songs that he didn't use the catwalk.
Even on Worried About You, he was out there to entertain the crowd.
Keith and Ronnie used it for some solos, but only on Miss You did they walk
all the way down to the platform at the end of the catwalk.
And of course, Lisa and Mick danced closely on Gimme Shelter.

Just have a look at this video from ca. 4.30 minutes to get an idea of how Mick used the catwalk.
It is the last song of the show, but Mick is still on fire.

Thanks, that's good to hear that it's getting used quite a bit. It's really unlikely they won't have it in Paris although no seating plans have shown it yet. It's a good way for Mick to get "closer" to the audience. Talking about getting close, some people in GC who were front let and right probably didn't get that good of a deal. Did you have to get in early to get a good spot? Unless you're there among the first and can go for the "angles", you're probably better off being on the catwalk rail further back.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-28 20:20 by gotdablouse.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: May 28, 2014 20:23

Bellajane
I love reading the reviews and people's opinions about the concerts...not to mention all the videos and photos that have been posted..thank you so much! When there are lengthy discussions and arguments, many times they do get heated and nitpicking, and many times I don't entirely agree with what's being said..but, what the heck, I can't complain as I find it all very interesting and a learning experience.

Great attitude Bella smiling smiley

Posted by: The Worst. ()
Date: May 28, 2014 20:37

gotdablouse
You look pretty fit, are you a runner ?

The Worst.
gotdablouse
Anyway...how much use did they make of the catwalk? Similar to HP, i.e. a bit of Mick, a bit of Ronnie and Keith and Mick during Miss You and quite a bit of Mick and Lisa for GS ?

Mick used it a lot. More than he did in London I would say.
I was standing right next to the catwalk, and he was out there dancing, clapping, smiling, singing and running frequently during the show.
It was more or less only during the first two songs that he didn't use the catwalk.
Even on Worried About You, he was out there to entertain the crowd.
Keith and Ronnie used it for some solos, but only on Miss You did they walk
all the way down to the platform at the end of the catwalk.
And of course, Lisa and Mick danced closely on Gimme Shelter.

Just have a look at this video from ca. 4.30 minutes to get an idea of how Mick used the catwalk.
It is the last song of the show, but Mick is still on fire.

Thanks, that's good to hear that it's getting used quite a bit. It's really unlikely they won't have it in Paris although no seating plans have shown it yet. It's a good way for Mick to get "closer" to the audience. Talking about getting close, some people in GC who were front let and right probably didn't get that good of a deal. Did you have to get in early to get a good spot? Unless you're there among the first and can go for the "angles", you're probably better off being on the catwalk rail further back.

I was there pretty early, had a good spot next to the catwalk 10-12 meters from the stage. That's the perfect position IMO:
You are very close, can see Charlie Watts and everything that's going on, and your neck won't hurt.
But I think you'll have a good view from any point in the golden circle.
During the encores I moved back to the end of the circle, where it was more space and a bit colder (it was very, very hot inside the arena). The view was excellent.
The two GIANT screens on the sides are razor sharp. Never seen anything like it.
Don't worry, you'll have a great experience with a golden circle ticket.

PS: I'm just a bit bitter that I didn't score a golden circle ticket in Paris.
I'm "only" in the stands. But it's gonna be great anyway!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-28 20:56 by The Worst..

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: May 28, 2014 20:45

kleermaker
DandelionPowderman
He was indeed "set free" in Oslo as well.

The version was absolutely fantastic. What you mean is that Taylor wasn't as good as he was in Shanghai smiling smiley

If you don't see the difference ... He got much more room in Shanghai, even a second solo. Of course Taylor can play as good as in Shanghai. He also wasn't at the final bow I've read. That seems another indication to me.

The rehearsal week reports were great. I think I'd rather would be there than at the show itself.

Now only in all shortness:

I found that Mick Taylor looked very much inspired and by my non-instrumentalist's ears also sounded that way. Even more than on the second night in Hyde Park. Sought every now and then to get involved in coplay. But, in hindsight, maybe got frustrated when Ron Wood played some solo towards the end and maybe excluded Mick Taylor from doing so. Frustrated because "Midnight Rambler" really is the only song for him to take part and then not being admitted to finish it. As a full time participant of the concert, I guess it would have been completely different and OK that Ronnie "stole" that solo, but not in this situation. I also noticed Mick Taylor's absence at the final bow, slightly wondering, but without reflecting so much on it then.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-28 20:47 by Witness.

Date: May 28, 2014 20:46

Sounds good, can't wait!

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: May 28, 2014 20:48

Ronnie always plays the last solo on MR on this tour, Witness.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: May 28, 2014 20:51

DandelionPowderman
Ronnie always plays the last solo on MR on this tour, Witness.

I see. I noticed it now then, being even nearer than in Hyde Park.

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: May 28, 2014 20:55

dcba
Whether you like it or not, MT is a "special guest" not a 6th member... Therefore his contribution must and will be minimal.

This policy meets Jagger's point of view : the Stones sahll never become a nostagia act. If MT was allwoed to play on ADTL or YCAGWYW people would say "oh they went back to the 72-73 formula".

Jagger would hate that...

The contrast to this is the Eagles taking Bernie Leadon on tour with them last year after a 38 year absence. [www.rollingstone.com]

The Stones should have done the same with Mick Taylor. The Eagles are no slouches at marketing themselves, they knew bringing Bernie Leadon back would be a crowd pleaser. The Stones (Mick) are astute businessmen too, they failed here when I see how the Eagles did it and I am in no way an Eagles fan. And this stiff arming of MT makes me less of a Stones fan.

Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: May 28, 2014 21:26

Ha, so I just saw my girlfriend recorded Can't Be Seen on video. I uploaded the interesting part quickly. Funny to see how the song is kind of going nowhere with Keith clearly a bit lost - Ronnie then decides to get things moving again and Keith quite happily accepts the way out. I love how they don't let things fall apart!

video: [youtu.be]

(will follow-up with a higher resolution)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-28 21:28 by Lorenz.

Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: May 28, 2014 21:35

The Worst.
proudmary
The Worst.
Mick had a message for all of you that complain about the total number of songs in the set list. I think it was before Honky Tonk Women, that Mick pointed out the fact that when they did their first gig in Norway some 49 years ago, they only played 9 songs - which he admitted was "a bit cheap". And now, half a century later (when they're in their 70s), they perform a phenomenal concert lasting for more than two hours.

You were there,The Worst? Did he say something else? some jokes in Norwegian? and what the story about the A-Ha song?

He had rehearsed a few lines in Norwegian. After IORR he said:
Det er fantastisk å være tilbake i Norge. (It is fantastic to be back in Norway!)
Tusen takk! (Thank you!)
Det er all norsken jeg kan. (That's all Norwegian I know.)

Before Worried About You he said "Vente litt" which simply means "wait a bit" (for the crew to get the keyboard in on stage).

He also said something I think no one understood (At least I didn't).

During the introductions he pointed out in Norwegian that Ronnie had new jogging shoes.

Yeah, funny - he said something once to absolutely no crowd reaction and he looked a bit confused and shrugged it off, saying "whatever". grinning smiley

Posted by: dennycranium ()
Date: May 28, 2014 21:55

Congrats to all who attended.
I would welcome any setlist, even a warhorse heavy one.
Stones songs are like great friends.
I'd be disappointed if JJF and SMU didn't show up to the party.

Posted by: Bellajane ()
Date: May 28, 2014 21:59

kleermaker
Bellajane
I love reading the reviews and people's opinions about the concerts...not to mention all the videos and photos that have been posted..thank you so much! When there are lengthy discussions and arguments, many times they do get heated and nitpicking, and many times I don't entirely agree with what's being said..but, what the heck, I can't complain as I find it all very interesting and a learning experience.

Great attitude Bella smiling smiley

Thanks kleermaker!!smileys with beer

Posted by: Adams ()
Date: May 28, 2014 22:02

Can't Be Seen in the video does not sound like there was something wrong a lot. Live it sounded more 'lost'.
I think I saw you in the queue Lorenz. I was at the main gate and it was a bit too crowded to say 'hello'. I also look a little bit different than in 2007 so did not want to cause any confusion by calling from the crowd smiling smiley

Posted by: marko ()
Date: May 28, 2014 22:33

what kind of home? i can still transfer audiotapes onto cdr,,even my old nakamichi won´t work,tape player is easy to get.Glad you enjoyed the show,i´m not going to make it this time anywhere.

Posted by: GeorgV ()
Date: May 28, 2014 22:53

The Oslo concert was a good one. Despite the very high (and sometimes bad) sound and bad acoustics in the arena (and VERY hot), the performance was a very good one.
As others have written there were some sloppiness and mistakes here and there but that's part of the game, and nothing that destroys the experience of a good performance and a band on fire. On a good night, this is still (one of the) best live band(s) in the world.

The opening chords of JJF cut throgh the air like a razorblade, and a very good version too which promised good for the rest of the night.
Mick (an also the rest of the band) did a very good performance on Worried, and Keef touched him, smiled and almost joined in on the crowds applause after this. A very fine moment between the two of them.
Honky Tonk Women was another highligh tonight. Sometimes it is boring, but here the groove and the drive was there right from Keiths damned good feeling on the opening riff.
Keith did an ok solo, but a few strange bum notes. Mick walked over to him, gave him a smile(?) and said something to him. They looked like good old friends.

I thought Mick Taylor looked a little uncomfortable when he entered the stage for MR. Maybe it was just my imagination. Anyway, another good version of this song

Mick performed extremely well, talked, smiled and was in good mood and seemed to enjoy beeing on stage again. Ronnie did his job, played well, interacting with Chuck and pulling things together when needed. Espicially on Can't be seen, and bringing home All Down The Line that just kept on and on. Keith was focused and played well. Charlie was good as always. During the introduction Mick got him a few meters out on the catwalk before he resisted, and Mick commented 'That's as far as he goes'.

I was standing in GC, Ronnies side near the catwalk and not too far from the stage
Mick used to catwalk a lot. Keith and Ronnie was out there on Miss you, Keith on Sympathy too. And Lisa on GS.

The band seemed to to have a really good time. Lots of smiles, nods and interactions between the members. The really seemed to enjoy beeing on stage together again.

Looking forward to Paris next (and then Stockholm) !

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-28 23:24 by GeorgV.

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: May 28, 2014 23:21

"SURPRISING. IT IS THE 1ST TIME SINCE MANY YEAR THAT ITALIAN PRESS IS SO POSITIVE. USUALLY IT WAS ALWAYS " NOSTALGIA ACT, OLD BAND, SAME SONGS, THEY PLAY FOR THE MONEY ONLY ETC ETC " .
SUDDENTLY IT SEEMS THAT EVERYBODY FIND OUT THAT THEY ARE THE BEST, 1 CUT ABOVE THE OTHERS (WE KNEW THAT ), AN IMMENSE BAND.
NOW IT IS ALMOST TOO MUCH, AFTER 2 POPES THEY ARE READY TO BECOME SAINTS..
VERY GOOD NEWS"

Andrea66, i remember very positive, even enthousiastic reviews on italian press in 2006, after the gig at "Meazza". Comments like "Stones, sono loro i campioni del mondo" (from "Unita", if memory helps), etc.

Speaking about the general, usual "mood" of the press as for the Stones (i'm not talking about Italy specificly), i think there is a "double" rule. Before the concerts, many comments are always harping on the same string - about the Stones "playing for the money only", etc. But the vast majority of the concerts reviews are exuding absolute respect and appreciation for the band's performances.

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: May 28, 2014 23:24

I could say that the rule i just mentioned seems a bit like "Janus"...

Posted by: latvianinexile ()
Date: May 29, 2014 00:28

Some of my pics

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: May 29, 2014 00:48

Alimente,re your dig at Eric's friends, never figured you for the jealous type!

By the way, is it only me or does that red feather boa Jagger is wearing
look extremely...cheap?

Posted by: angee ()
Date: May 29, 2014 01:14

Yeah, that red "boa" seems to be the 14 on Fire version of the long dark gorilla coat...not appealing, either time.
At least the other one looked more substantial, richer, I suppose.

Great pics, latvianinexile.

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: May 29, 2014 01:19

I just love those reviews, pictures and videos. Thank you so much.

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: May 29, 2014 02:47

latvianinexile
Some of my pics....

WOW!!! Those are some great pictures, good job, Thanks for sharing here.

Date: May 29, 2014 03:02

Nice pics, what song was Matt Clifford playing on? I spotted an extra keyboard player on WAY but I think it was Tim Ries?

--------------

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: May 29, 2014 03:23

angee
Yeah, that red "boa" seems to be the 14 on Fire version of the long dark gorilla coat...not appealing, either time.
At least the other one looked more substantial, richer, I suppose.

Great pics, latvianinexile.

The Gorilla coat was a L'Wren creation ...so I read..

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: May 29, 2014 03:25

stonesrule
Alimente,re your dig at Eric's friends, never figured you for the jealous type!

There's jealousy in every human being, to varying degrees, no matter what each and every individual claims...that's my lifelong experience, and believe me, I'm not exactly young anymore!

By the way, is it only me or does that red feather boa Jagger is wearing
look extremely...cheap?

Now that's the kind of topic I'd prefer to discuss here from now on...the looks, the dresses, the number of hugs, eye contacts,because everything else -not to speak of setlists, music or even artistic development!- seems to provoke tension, hassles and fights whereas discussing Mick's red feather boa creates such a peaceful easy feeling... Yes, it looks cheap - but extremely cheap? Let's not judge it too harshly...

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: May 29, 2014 03:42

latvianinexile,

Excellent photos. I'm the Scotsman you met a few times over the weekend - the one with the US flag Licks Tour shirt. I saw you achieved front row, standing alongside the German woman who lives in Egypt (didn't get her name, but she spoke perfect English and lived in Egypt).

I got to front row on the Podium at the end of the catwalk.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: May 29, 2014 06:44

Hell's bells...Herman Melville is one of the greatest writers in literature.
Guess if his work isn't on video, it isn't fit for IORR.

Posted by: a bigger nut ()
Date: May 29, 2014 07:15

Now I am just back to my town, Tokyo.
Oslo show was marvelous.

Honestly, I got a little disappointed when Mick revealed a winner of fan vote.(I voted Heartbreaker)
But LSTNT was really good. In LSTNT, Keith was very sharp not only his guitar but his chorus with Mick. I was really impressed.

As some guys writing, "Can't Been Seen" was a kind of highlight of the show. I was standing just in front of Ronnie and easily found he was a bit confusing but he signed to Chuck, Bernard and Lisa to support Keith. It was funny moment.grinning smiley

And I could see beautiful "Worried About You" and "Emotional Rescue", both I missed at Asian leg.
No reason to have complain about setlist. I could get 100% satisfaction.

If I didn't meet some IORR guys from Europe at Asian leg in March, I would never think of going to Europe. I was really surprised there are so many people coming to far east to see Stones and found it is worth to do it.
I have to say thank you, guys.

Probably Oslo is the last Stones show of this year for me.
But I hope to see Stones and some guys met at venues. Maybe next year...

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1920212223242526272829Next
Current Page: 28 of 29

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2188
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home