Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1920212223242526272829Next
Current Page: 26 of 29
Re: Oslo 26 May 2014 Rolling Stones show live updates
Posted by: Powerage ()
Date: May 28, 2014 11:46

Yes, it was. Years ago. I love 1989-1990 versions. And of course those with Taylor.

DandelionPowderman
It's so easy to understand that they won't skip SFTD when watching this video. It was indeed one of the highlights thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-28 11:49 by Powerage.

Posted by: Wroclaw ()
Date: May 28, 2014 11:48

dcba
DandelionPowderman
About setlists: ALL of the newspaper reviewers in Norway, as well as the so-called experts were shaking their heads and thought it was a horrendous decision to put Worried About You and Emotional Rescue in the setlist - instead of Angie/RT/WH and other more well-known songs.

That doesn't bode well for future shows : Jagger is an avid review reader and he might be tempted to go back to a "solid" (surprise-free) setlist... confused smiley

The skeletal format for this tour is set - regardless of what would be written in this newspaper, or that blog. The Stones are an extremely heavy battle ship that cannot be turned out of its route in the middle of the cruise. They can switch certain songs, but the general route is set prior to the tours starting point.

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: May 28, 2014 11:56

DoomandGloom
Well yeah, to continue to bitch about Taylor and how he's used just turns us Taylorites into complainers so I choose to accept the way it is. I do agree it's crummy and it would be nice to hear him on ADTL for example. Someone earlier mentioned the rehearsal lists as a band tease but I imagine they just touch on those rare songs for their own pleasure and outside reporting fans are over stating the seriousness of the way it's rehearsed.

Its nuts (and bad marketing) not to have MT playing on ADTL. He made that tune! Not to give him one of the solos and let play along for the rest is a deal breaker for me. I would have had him strumming along on five other tunes too. Yes this is old news by now but I will not change my thinking

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-28 12:02 by triceratops.

Date: May 28, 2014 11:59

dcba
DandelionPowderman
About setlists: ALL of the newspaper reviewers in Norway, as well as the so-called experts were shaking their heads and thought it was a horrendous decision to put Worried About You and Emotional Rescue in the setlist - instead of Angie/RT/WH and other more well-known songs.

That doesn't bode well for future shows : Jagger is an avid review reader and he might be tempted to go back to a "solid" (surprise-free) setlist... confused smiley

All the reviews were great, though. 5 out of 6 in every paper I've seen smiling smiley

Date: May 28, 2014 12:00

Rambler was a blast:

Posted by: Powerage ()
Date: May 28, 2014 12:05

Epic Taylor !

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: May 28, 2014 12:13

Whether you like it or not, MT is a "special guest" not a 6th member... Therefore his contribution must and will be minimal.

This policy meets Jagger's point of view : the Stones sahll never become a nostagia act. If MT was allwoed to play on ADTL or YCAGWYW people would say "oh they went back to the 72-73 formula".

Jagger would hate that...

Posted by: Wroclaw ()
Date: May 28, 2014 12:24

dcba
Whether you like it or not, MT is a "special guest" not a 6th member... Therefore his contribution must and will be minimal.

This policy meets Jagger's point of view : the Stones sahll never become a nostagia act. If MT was allwoed to play on ADTL or YCAGWYW people would say "oh they went back to the 72-73 formula".

Jagger would hate that...

AND..., and not to contradict Jaggers alleged point of view, it might be that Taylor too feels that way! after all those years, being regarded as "that guy who left the Stones and never really made it since then", the current formula might be what he wants as well - making the money he needs, getting the recognition he surely likes as well but not dragging himself on the stage enough time to be remembered as "that guy who after being broke, fat and used to playing bars - got a CLEMENCIA from sir Jagger". We tend to forget that for the majority of the RS gig audience the Stones are the 1981-2014 Stones... they have seen random clips of the BJ era and maybe seen GS (movie). They are NOT families with "Ladies and gentleman", STP tour, Brussels affair... Hell - they probably never heard of Kleermakers channel on YT! winking smiley They know the Stones as that band with Jagge running from side to side while KR and RW blow riffs with a fag in their mouth. They are NOT waiting for a redone version of the Stones with the 2014 MT on half of the songs.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-28 12:26 by Wroclaw.

Posted by: muffie ()
Date: May 28, 2014 12:35

triceratops
DoomandGloom
Well yeah, to continue to bitch about Taylor and how he's used just turns us Taylorites into complainers so I choose to accept the way it is. I do agree it's crummy and it would be nice to hear him on ADTL for example. Someone earlier mentioned the rehearsal lists as a band tease but I imagine they just touch on those rare songs for their own pleasure and outside reporting fans are over stating the seriousness of the way it's rehearsed.

Its nuts (and bad marketing) not to have MT playing on ADTL. He made that tune! Not to give him one of the solos and let play along for the rest is a deal breaker for me. I would have had him strumming along on five other tunes too. Yes this is old news by now but I will not change my thinking

Fingers crossed, their easing Jagger back into form with a low risk, warhorse heavy first show. Should keep the critics and most of the audience happy.

As much as I love the RS, a 'soundtrack of a lifetime', their lack of letting MT play on his signature work tunes is turning me off the band. MT was a key ingredient in elevating the RS to the greatest RnR band during their golden period.

So how about it then? Jagger & Co corporation, you guys have had plenty of time in the sun. RW's even got a fat paycheck out of it for his exquisite guitar work. Now how about giving the people what they want? Let MT play for God's sake.

Posted by: DoctorFreddie ()
Date: May 28, 2014 12:47

odean73
Lorenz
bv
odean73
Anybody know if the northern lights poster will go general sale?

The Northern Lights poster is sold as a litograph at N. kr. 750 which is US $130 or Euro 85. I think I will make my own poster from the source file, because I want it my own size and in a nice print. It is the best poster in years, capturing a lot about Norway and the Stones - stars, northern lights, trees, mountains, the date, the tongue, a real beauty.

Had the same idea, any idea where to get the source file?

I just realised that there was only so many made of these posters.

Any luck with the source file?

The northern light litograph was a limited edition of 150 ex.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: May 28, 2014 12:52

EPIC Midnight Rambler as posted at 1200 by DP - THANKS!!!! .....

Mick Taylor though clearly has forgotten his 'slide', and searches for it in a few pockets before spying one on the side of Charlie's riser, obviously Keith's, gives Keith a "how about it?" look and Keith gives a nod..."yeah u can borrow it".....

and then at about 11.10, Taylor gives Keith a "phew its bloody hot in here" look

PRICELESS....

but the song, after the breakdown, and 'restart' is PURE KEITH.....just beautiful

Date: May 28, 2014 13:01

muffie

Fingers crossed, their easing Jagger back into form with a low risk, warhorse heavy first show. Should keep the critics and most of the audience happy.

As much as I love the RS, a 'soundtrack of a lifetime', their lack of letting MT play on his signature work tunes is turning me off the band. MT was a key ingredient in elevating the RS to the greatest RnR band during their golden period.

So how about it then? Jagger & Co corporation, you guys have had plenty of time in the sun. RW's even got a fat paycheck out of it for his exquisite guitar work. Now how about giving the people what they want? Let MT play for God's sake.

Are you serious? Do you know how risky it was for them playing Can't Be Seen with Keith in charge, for the first time in 24 years? And Mick really gave everything he had on songs like Worried About You and ER.

Worried About You, ER, LSTNT, Can't Be Seen and All Down The Line are songs that they DON'T normally play.

So how could this be "easing Jagger back into form"?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-28 13:07 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: May 28, 2014 13:02

bitusa2012

Mick Taylor though clearly has forgotten his 'slide', and searches for it

...again !?!
At Glastonbury, Ronnie had to lend him his one...

How hard can it be, remenbering all the gear you need, bringing it with you on stage, and then remembering again where you've put it... if you only play on one song!!?

No Taylor bashing; just saying.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: May 28, 2014 13:18

RoughJusticeOnYa
bitusa2012

...again !?!

How hard can it be, remenbering all the gear you need, bringing it with you on stage, and then remembering again where you've put it... if you only play on one song!!?

MMmmm must watch Glasto again to see this. Very funny in Oslo, outer jacket pocket? No.... inner jacket pocket? No ....tap down all pockets...no, bugga...oh look on the drum riser......

Date: May 28, 2014 13:21

RoughJusticeOnYa
bitusa2012

...again !?!

What often happens is that you'll put your slide on your amp, or some other place - ready for use later in the song. A little bump by someone, however, makes that bottleneck roll away. And when you're searching for it, it's gone smiling smiley

Ronnie was obviously tired of this, and drilled a hole on the side of his Gibson Les Paul grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-28 13:42 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: May 28, 2014 13:34

DoctorFreddie
odean73
Lorenz
bv
odean73
Anybody know if the northern lights poster will go general sale?

The Northern Lights poster is sold as a litograph at N. kr. 750 which is US $130 or Euro 85. I think I will make my own poster from the source file, because I want it my own size and in a nice print. It is the best poster in years, capturing a lot about Norway and the Stones - stars, northern lights, trees, mountains, the date, the tongue, a real beauty.

Had the same idea, any idea where to get the source file?

I just realised that there was only so many made of these posters.

Any luck with the source file?

The northern light litograph was a limited edition of 150 ex.

I might have to start bidding now on ebay, thanks for the info.

Posted by: Niek ()
Date: May 28, 2014 13:37

What a great vid from MR!!
So close up.
How I love them.

(Always took candy from strangers)

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: May 28, 2014 13:43

DandelionPowderman
Erik_Snow
Did I allready post a "review" here? Can't remember
Well it was a very nice show, much better than the 6 concerts I saw in 2006/2007
Worried About You was one of the highlights, and so was Can't Be Seen despite of the mistakes.....I knew there would be mistakes when they started that one. A song not played since 1990 AND with Keith in charge.......
But he reached the high notes and everything so it was real good

There are 3 songs that I wish they skipped; Miss You, Honky Tonk Women and Brown Sugar. We have heard them enough, thank you.

Mick Taylor only played on one song....was he sick that day? And he didn't really shine on that one song either

I'll give the concert 6 out of 10 stars or maybe even 7, it was rocking

Good to see you enjoyed the show, Erik.

Taylor played on two songs, though.

Yes indeed. For goodness sake, Erik. Pay attention. How could you miss that show-stealing acoustic guitar strum on "Satisfaction" ?

Date: May 28, 2014 13:55

LOL, Gazza! I forgot that Taylor has to steal the show to be credited on guitar grinning smiley

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: May 28, 2014 14:00

DandelionPowderman
Powerage
StonesCat

It's just disappointing, after seeing how great he played on Rambler, how he can be shelved for the rest of the concert. Most "Taylorites" have by now faced reality, but it's just depressing seeing how he's used, and knowing what could be from rehearsals and his limited appearances in shows.

Yes, for sure. Without forgetting the Keith HTW solo disaster, very commented in France on different boards.

This MR wasn't Taylor's best moment either. But the version was great, imo.

Playing a few bum notes in a solo is not a disaster, btw. Taylor did that as well. This is the Rolling Stones we're talking about here. They always play a few bum notes.

He didn't seem very inspired, to put it mildly. This Rambler was a shadow of the Shanghai rendition where Taylor was set free to do something new and special. This was the old routine, not the way Taylor used to play with the Stones back then. Plus the huge difference between his role during the rehearsals and his very limited role during the shows.

Date: May 28, 2014 14:02

DandelionPowderman
RoughJusticeOnYa
bitusa2012

...again !?!

What often happens is that you'll put your slide on your amp, or some other place - ready for use later in the song. A little bump by someone, however, makes that bottleneck roll away. And when you're searching for it, it's gone smiling smiley

Ronnie was obviously tired of this, and drilled a hole on the side of his Gibson Les Paul grinning smiley

>grinning smiley<

Date: May 28, 2014 14:03

He was indeed "set free" in Oslo as well.

The version was absolutely fantastic. What you mean is that Taylor wasn't as good as he was in Shanghai smiling smiley

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: May 28, 2014 14:05

After looking at all the pages since last night,I am so glad that most posters who were there,or just watched on youtube, and also the newspaper reviews in Norway and U.K. are mostly positive.

Theres no doubt about it that this was a fantastic show and a great ,great, opener for the European Tour .

To me ,everything about it was great................. from the opening for the first couple of minutes before JJF, the setlist ,the extended versions of a few songs ,the mistakes and the laughter from band members,the interaction between Mick and the crowd, the different versions of a couple of songs,the fantastic audience that made the Stones look really happy on stage.

These are just a few reasons off the top of my head why this gig was so good.

I will probably think of a few more during the day. >grinning smiley<

Posted by: Grison ()
Date: May 28, 2014 14:09

We can wine about the setlist, we can wine about the stage, we can always wine about our own tragedys, however:

Monday Night was a phenomenal start of the European Tour and once again the Stones proved to be ON FIRE. Mick Jagger was absolutely stunning. Forget about wrong Intros which by the way belong to the Stones since they've been born. Forget about the winers and welcome back to fabolous shows. Of course I would have loved to see the Tonguepit stage, of course I would have loved 22 songs. But all in all thank you Rolling Stones. The low point if one can speak of such was for me Mick Taylor this time. He didn't catch up on Midnight Rambler, while Keith and Ronnie saved the song clearly. Taylor for me was not focused as he used to be last year. Anyway they did a tremendous show again and the heat in this arena was just like being in a Sauna. Imgaine the temperature on stage.

Posted by: zgubi ()
Date: May 28, 2014 14:11

There was a story today from Billboard how the Stones are no.1 in the top 25 live acts since 1990. That was the last time Keith Richards played “Can’t be seen”, until last night of course.

And last night Mick Jagger sang “Worried about you”, one of the many songs people might have been skipped due to the recent storm in the Rolling Stones world.

But he sang it, and he sang it good and determined, he didn’t show that he’s still got it, he simply showed that it’s possible, you fall down and you get up and get stronger and better.

Throughout the night he looked relaxed, confident, excited to be back on stage and he made all the songs feel like a breath of fresh air.

I think in this particular occasion nobody new what to expect, or had no expectations. And yet the concert exceeded any kind of expectations.

When I was in Australia for the originally scheduled tour I met a few people and made some friends. In Oslo I managed to meet all of them without even setting up a date, place or time. These are the kind of Stones coincidences, just follow your path and you’ll get to the right place, this time… Oslo.

I went to the pre-show meeting at the Radisson Hotel and Joha from Finaland recognized me as “the lucky girl from Abu Dhabi”. I met Bjornwulf who hosts the big Stones forum, Ken from Japan, Gabor from Hungary, people from New Orleans and all over the USA, people from all over the world.

Oslo is a small city compared to the enormous European capitals. Stones t-shirts everywhere, more and more as I got closer to the Arena. I went with Lucky Dip tickets and I got standing.

We entered the arena dominated by a huge stage. New design, new start and the Stones back in Europe after many years and back on tour after a difficult couple of months.

Opening Act was good, local Big Bang from Norway warming up the crowd before the Bigger Bang smiling smiley

Right on the clock the lights dim and there goes the drum intro. It’s such an exciting feeling these few seconds before the show starts, I was jumping with excitement and clapping my hands like a little kid.

Keith Richards enters the stage with a few off chords rocking to Jumping Jack Flash and the next second they all jump on stage and the crowd goes wild… I was booooorn, in a Crossfire Hurricane!

They look good, they feel great and we’re back on top of the world.

Next song: It’s Only Rock ‘n Roll and the song sort of tells the story of the Stones secret, it’s only music but it makes the world go ’round and trumps everything. When they get to “suicide right on the stage” part Mick puts an accent on the lyric, he’s not afraid to say it.

Then they get on to All Down the Line where they pay tribute to those who were their inspiration for doing this, we’re seeing history in the making and how people inspire other people to do what they love and it just goes like that in a historical loop.

Tumbling Dice and then the big surprise of the night: Worried about you. I have only seen this on video recordings but being there live to hear it cannot compare. At one point Mick starts telling a girl about all the things she promised, you could guess who the girl is, you could guess the hurt in the song but he does it in a way that heals the hurt. I absolutely loved this moment.

They go on then to their most “recent” hit song Doom and Gloom the soundtrack to the tour announcement that send thousands of people into early mornings trying to get tickets.

Oslo’s song of choice was “Let’s Spend The Night Together”, luckily one that they now smiling smiley Mick even said he knew Oslo would have wanted “Take On Me” by A-ha from Oslo but that it was too high-pitched, he did play the first verse in the chorus tho’

Emotional Resuce, the funky, full bass song that premiered for me in Abu Dhabi. Everyone’s dancing and singing, it’s a great moment whenever they play it.

Then it’s Honky Tonk Women, band introductions and Keith comes on stage puffing some smoke from behind the ears (Norway is probably not that tolerant to smoking indoors although Ronnie lit up a few later on).

Keith goes into You Got the Silver and then to my delight he sings Can’t Be Seen. Another I’ve never heard in concert before, he hasn’t played it for 14 years and it’s rocking! I was singing this song on the street in Oslo before the show so it was an excellent surprise to hear it in concert. This song became the soundtrack for Oslo.

Playful time comes during Midnight Rambler, Mick Taylor back on stage with a band for some good jamming with guitars, harmonica and an excellent vibe.
Miss You and Gimme Shelter, man that Lisa Fischer could sing. She’s like their Goddess parading to the middle of the arena with her strong vocals.

Start Me Up and the whole arena is singing and clapping, and dancing! And as the lyrics go, If you start me up I’ll never stop it’s obvious that this band will never stop, the stage is where they belong and what keeps them going after so many years. And will full energy and excitement!

Sympathy for the Devil got the most fans in Oslo, the background with the burning trees, the memorable rhythm and the heavy piano got everyone’s attention.

Brown Sugar creates the same hysteria as Start Me Up and the band goes off stage.

Few minutes later they bring on the choir for an excellent rendition of that very special song where you learn that everything happens for a reason, it’s a magical moment, You Can’t Always Get What You Want. They changed the ending giving it a happy twist to the surprise of the entire audience.

Then they enter Satisfaction, they walk all across the stage, Mick’s running like a little kid and everyone gets satisfaction. The band and the crowd alike.

When the last chord is played and everything stops Keith’s leaning down on his feet holding his guitar by his side looking at the arena. He’s given it all out there and now he’s staring the arena with fulfillment “We’ve done this and man it was good”, Ronnie’s brushing his hair, everyone’s taking a breath and you can really see they put a lot of energy into the show.

We’re kind of the same way, tired and happy, this was a great show, what a come back, what a phenomenon, what legends!

Next day at the train station and at the airport everyone was proudly wearing Stones t-shirts. And we’re moving on to the next chapter: Lisbon!

Oslo in pictures click here.

Highlights and Oslo video in this 5 minute clip, there is a small part in Romanian where we’re talking about some pubs, the rest is for the books, enjoy:

I make daily videos on the tour at [youtube.com]
Going to: London - Manchester - Twickenham - Berlin - Marseille - Prague - Warsaw

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-28 14:13 by zgubi.

Date: May 28, 2014 14:15

...Cool, zgubi!
Always a pleasure reading you, here.

Rock on!!

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: May 28, 2014 14:18

DandelionPowderman

The version was absolutely fantastic. What you mean is that Taylor wasn't as good as he was in Shanghai smiling smiley

If you don't see the difference ... He got much more room in Shanghai, even a second solo. Of course Taylor can play as good as in Shanghai. He also wasn't at the final bow I've read. That seems another indication to me.

The rehearsal week reports were great. I think I'd rather would be there than at the show itself.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: May 28, 2014 14:35

zgubi
....When the last chord is played and everything stops Keith’s leaning down on his feet holding his guitar by his side looking at the arena. He’s given it all out there and now he’s staring the arena with fulfillment “We’ve done this and man it was good”, Ronnie’s brushing his hair, everyone’s taking a breath and you can really see they put a lot of energy into the show.

We’re kind of the same way, tired and happy, this was a great show, what a come back, what a phenomenon, what legends!....

Thank you, I enjoy reading the detailed first hand reports from people who actually went to the shows.

Date: May 28, 2014 14:39

kleermaker
DandelionPowderman

If you don't see the difference ... He got much more room in Shanghai, even a second solo. Of course Taylor can play as good as in Shanghai. He also wasn't at the final bow I've read. That seems another indication to me.

The rehearsal week reports were great. I think I'd rather would be there than at the show itself.

These guys play by instincts on songs like MR. It was a 11:46 version, and I don't think it was deliberate that he didn't take a second solo, kleerie.

Date: May 28, 2014 14:40

I think the whole Worried About You clocked in on over 7 minutes. Here's 6:22 of them thumbs up

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1920212223242526272829Next
Current Page: 26 of 29

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1308
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home