Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1819202122232425262728...LastNext
Current Page: 23 of 29
Rolling Stones - Oslo 26 May 2014
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: May 27, 2014 21:27

Ragnar Singsaas

Re: Oslo 26 May 2014 Rolling Stones show live updates
Posted by: Powerage ()
Date: May 27, 2014 21:28

The set list is quite fine !

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-27 22:38 by Powerage.

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: May 27, 2014 21:31

stonesrule
Remember a few days ago when Erik Snow, tongue in cheek, declared rock music was "childish"?

According to a certain member of the Rolling Stones who knows Erik, "Blimey,
the kid was on fire in the audience dancing his ass off."

Nice fairytale, but I have no doubts that it was a great show and a major event for those who were there, no matter what they played or how they played it!

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: May 27, 2014 21:33

It still amazes me that people on here argue about set lists...for one thing we should be glad that this tour is even happening - many, including me, had serious doubts after the Keith acident that they would ever play again and I certainly didn;t think it would be a world tour. Also, of course they are going to play their greatest hits/warhorses. The vast majority of the people paying to watch them want to hear these iconic songs. When I was watching them at Glastonbury last year, I could over hear quite a few groups of people and they were going crazy at JJF, Brown Sugar Gimme Shelter. If they played more obscure songs, yes us hard core fans would be pleased (unless they murdered them) but there would be a lot of criticism for the people who had turned out to see them for the first time expecting to catch the big songs on what is likely the last tour of any note.

Cast your minds back over the decades, the Stones have never been particuarly adventurous with set lists and it aint going to change now. Just enjoy what is at the table.

Posted by: Bastion ()
Date: May 27, 2014 21:36

crumbling_mice
It still amazes me that people on here argue about set lists...for one thing we should be glad that this tour is even happening - many, including me, had serious doubts after the Keith acident that they would ever play again and I certainly didn;t think it would be a world tour. Also, of course they are going to play their greatest hits/warhorses. The vast majority of the people paying to watch them want to hear these iconic songs. When I was watching them at Glastonbury last year, I could over hear quite a few groups of people and they were going crazy at JJF, Brown Sugar Gimme Shelter. If they played more obscure songs, yes us hard core fans would be pleased (unless they murdered them) but there would be a lot of criticism for the people who had turned out to see them for the first time expecting to catch the big songs on what is likely the last tour of any note.

Cast your minds back over the decades, the Stones have never been particuarly adventurous with set lists and it aint going to change now. Just enjoy what is at the table.

I agree with this. I think the only thing The Stones could do to improve the setlist is increase it to 25 songs; playing more rarities. Best of both worlds.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: May 27, 2014 21:59

Yep that would certainly help! It's not clear why they went from 23/24 in 2012 and 2013 in the USA and even 21 at Glasto to 19 now...it seems that they realized they could get away by playing only 19 songs at HP. It seems no "journalist" has bothered asking them so far.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: May 27, 2014 22:05

Funny they are playing longer sets today then they did when they were
kids..

I find it amazing at 70+ that they are playing as many songs as they are!

Posted by: astmalia ()
Date: May 27, 2014 22:12

Waaw, I can't wait for the official live CD/DVD that will be released!

Posted by: thecitadel ()
Date: May 27, 2014 22:20

There is no way they could play longer than last night every night for a tour - even if Mick reverted to normal energy levels on stage (Oslo was extreme), the others would struggle.

So to do more songs they would need to drop Rambler, YCAGWYW or both (gain say 3 songs) and replace with shorter songs - and probably also avoid longer versions of Shelter and other tracks

Posted by: Heart for Stones ()
Date: May 27, 2014 22:24

Midnight Rambler (song # 12) 11:48

video: [youtu.be]

All the Best!

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: May 27, 2014 22:25

crumbling_mice

hot smiley
Jeroen

Date: May 27, 2014 22:39

[www.byzegut.fr]

The Rolling Stones, pathétique sad smiley
Le solo de Keith Richards à 1'41" çà fait du mal à la musique, ça se traine, c'est faux !

(The Rolling Stones, pathetic sad smiley
Keith Richards solo at 1'41 "hurts the music, it crawls, it's out of tune !
)

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-27 22:42 by Powerage.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: May 27, 2014 22:40

alimente
With a setlist down to only 17 (Mick lead vocals) + 2 (Keith lead vocals) songs, it has become extremely difficult for any *real* surprises to surface during a show. You have the warhorses, you have the "semi-warhorses" (Street Fighting Man, All Down The Line, Bitch, Live With Me, Dead Flowers, Wild Horses,Ruby Tuesday, Beast Of Burden, Worried About You, Angie and the like = you name 'em!), and then you have the third category, the "real surprises" - extremely rare or looooong ago performed songs or even live debuts. In this category, only "Emotional Rescue" -out of all obscure songs!- managed its way to a quite regular setlist entry, whereas Lady Jane, Around And Around, Under The Boardwalk, Silver Train remained one-timers so far.

Worried About You is not a "semi warhorse". Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think it ever been played in Europe, except in theaters on the Licks Tour.

Doom & Gloom and Emotional Rescue have never been played in Europe (unless people flew to the London shows in 2012/2013) and of course Can't Be Seen was last played on the Steel Wheels Tour.

You have to remember - how many people track Stones setlists on a nightly basis? Of those people, how many actually attended shows in the US or Asia on this latest tour and will be attending shows in Europe this summer? I'm just guessing, but maybe a couple hundred? This whole "setlist" thing has only become a fashionable topic since the internet has allowed people to sit at their computers monitoring the shows. I mean, back in 72, they played the same setlist every single night of the tour, and they were the greatest live band in history.

Posted by: Fillmore ()
Date: May 27, 2014 22:42

crumbling_mice

Very good call, I think. And what was performed last night was only the beginning of the European tour. Many gigs to follow, many songs to be played. Maybe a handful of forgotten (…) gems. We´´ll see. I´m just glad they´re not only "there" but alive and kicking major butt. And maybe the setlist will change between festivals (Pinkpop, Werchter…) and cozier shows in living rooms like Waldbuhne. We´ll see and we know where we will read about it winking smiley.

Cheers, Fillmore

Date: May 27, 2014 22:44

hot stuff
kids..

That's a fair point. I first saw them when I was 12 years old in Honolulu in 1973. I think that the show was a little over an hour long. But, I remember every detail - it changed my life; who knows what I might have accomplished if I hadn't spent hours upon hours on the Stones . . . .

Posted by: gibsonman ()
Date: May 27, 2014 22:49

What a fantastic eevening it was last night to wrap up a great week for me. First beeing outside four rehearsals. Feeling the excitement build up for the show. It was a great experience to meet more of you iorrians from all over Europe. And beeing outside the rehearsals listening to the songs together with you is something I will never forget... smiling smiley

I have always wanted to be FOS at a Stones show. And yesterday I made it!! And it was great... smiling smileyso close to the band, seeing the interactions between the bandmembers and feel the energy from stage. And what an energy they had!!! Some mistakes as in "can't be seen", but thats just the charm about live performances. But to me, seeing a live rocknroll show is more about feeling the energy than to listen for mistakes and hoping for perfection...

A week where I was at four rehersals, met several iorrians, had a chat with Taylor, fischer, keys and fowler, saw one of the best shows I have ever seen of the Stones and made it to FOS, ended with getting one of the setlist from the stage. That one is to be framed and hung on the wall.

For you who are going to the rest of the shows: you have something to look forward to...... smiling smiley

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: May 27, 2014 22:52

drbryant
hot stuff
kids..

That's a fair point. I first saw them when I was 12 years old in Honolulu in 1973. I think that the show was a little over an hour long. But, I remember every detail - it changed my life; who knows what I might have accomplished if I hadn't spent hours upon hours on the Stones . . . .

lol----Could be in jail or worse. Kept us out of trouble...haha.

I was at the 78 Philly show that they ended early. But I had a blast even through
it was a short show. To my young ears at the time it was pure Stones.

Its more how they play then How long they play.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: May 27, 2014 22:56

Agree with you entirely and great to see you Friday night.

Such a great feeling amongst all us fans, and will never forget it. >grinning smiley<

Posted by: gibsonman ()
Date: May 27, 2014 22:58

crawdaddy
Agree with you entirely and great to see you Friday night.

Such a great feeling amongst all us fans, and will never forget it. >grinning smiley<

thumbs up

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: May 27, 2014 23:00

gotdablouse

It's not clear why they went from 23/24 in 2012 and 2013 in the USA and even 21 at Glasto to 19 now...

Yes, it's a little bit unclear, but I mean we should also think of Charlie - he turns 73 years next Monday and he has to drum the whole 2 hours of the concert.

Posted by: waterrats ()
Date: May 27, 2014 23:03

Powerage
[www.byzegut.fr]

Le solo de Keith Richards à 1'41" çà fait du mal à la musique, ça se traine, c'est faux !

)

[www.youtube.com]

Well, judging from the youtube-video, Keith got the wrong key 2 times for some notes, but only shortly. The rest of the solo was ok, IMHO.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: May 27, 2014 23:22

crumbling_mice

My argument isnt directed at the Stones per se. More at the sort of audience they target themselves at. As I said, the Stones 'deserve better'.

Its a fair point about them not being adventurous over the decades. They did however dig deeper back then. When the number of songs get shortened, the songs that fall by the wayside are always the deeper material.

And for the record, I'm delighted theyre touring again and I'm looking forward to seeing them in two weeks.

Posted by: Heart for Stones ()
Date: May 27, 2014 23:22

You Can't Always Get What You Wantvideo: [youtu.be]

All the Best!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-28 00:06 by Heart for Stones.

Date: May 27, 2014 23:29

Ok ?!...confused smiley

waterrats
Powerage
[www.byzegut.fr]

)

[www.youtube.com]

Well, judging from the youtube-video, Keith got the wrong key 2 times for some notes, but only shortly. The rest of the solo was ok, IMHO.

Date: May 27, 2014 23:37

Powerage
Ok ?!...confused smiley

waterrats
Powerage
[www.byzegut.fr]

)

[www.youtube.com]

Keith didn't play particularly well in the first show in Tokyo, and I thought he was done. The second show was one of the best I have seen him play in the past decade. The third show was OK, with some less than inspired moments. Don't count him out

Date: May 27, 2014 23:39

gibsonman
What a fantastic eevening it was last night to wrap up a great week for me. First beeing outside four rehearsals. Feeling the excitement build up for the show. It was a great experience to meet more of you iorrians from all over Europe. And beeing outside the rehearsals listening to the songs together with you is something I will never forget... smiling smiley

I have always wanted to be FOS at a Stones show. And yesterday I made it!! And it was great... smiling smileyso close to the band, seeing the interactions between the bandmembers and feel the energy from stage. And what an energy they had!!! Some mistakes as in "can't be seen", but thats just the charm about live performances. But to me, seeing a live rocknroll show is more about feeling the energy than to listen for mistakes and hoping for perfection...

A week where I was at four rehersals, met several iorrians, had a chat with Taylor, fischer, keys and fowler, saw one of the best shows I have ever seen of the Stones and made it to FOS, ended with getting one of the setlist from the stage. That one is to be framed and hung on the wall.

For you who are going to the rest of the shows: you have something to look forward to...... smiling smiley

Great post. Thanks

Date: May 27, 2014 23:40

Drbryant, are we speaking about lotery or music ?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-27 23:43 by Powerage.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: May 27, 2014 23:46

crumbling_mice
It still amazes me that people on here argue about set lists

Probably some people have nothing better to do.

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: May 27, 2014 23:55

drbryant
hot stuff
kids..

Those Honolulu shows were fantastic. Which one did you attend? Don't bother about what could have been. smiling smiley

Re: Rolling Stones - Oslo 26 May 2014
Posted by: dcba ()
Date: May 28, 2014 00:02

rollmops
bye bye johnny

Mick's shirt patern ressembles Hieronymous Bosch's style it seems.
Rock and roll,
Mops
[en.wikipedia.org]

I'd say more Gustave Doré...

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1819202122232425262728...LastNext
Current Page: 23 of 29

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1859
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home