Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1617181920212223242526...LastNext
Current Page: 21 of 29
Re: Oslo 26 May 2014 Rolling Stones show live updates
Posted by: Perh ()
Date: May 27, 2014 14:29

2:28 with YCAGWYW

[youtu.be]

Posted by: Powerage ()
Date: May 27, 2014 14:34

Strange.

DandelionPowderman
Powerage
Taylor only on MR and Satifaction ?

Yes. And not with the band during the final bow..

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: May 27, 2014 14:42

Looking forward to your report Bjornulf !!!!!!!!!!
Jeroen

Posted by: mongennanji ()
Date: May 27, 2014 14:48

Speaking of the "sad sad sad set list", I find myself kind of feeling like hearing that song again, along with Mixed Emotions etc. -- when The RS played these lead tracks from the then new album night after night on the Steel Wheels Tour, I thought they would become future workhorses, but in reality they haven't. After a quarter of a century's absence from the set list, they now have become semi-rare, semi-deep cuts, and it could be as refreshing to hear them live as Can't Be Seen.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: May 27, 2014 15:05

alieb
ROPS
Once again they reharse all this great music,and then come show time is like they get afraid,and go back to the same old boring set,but like somebody else said we can't expect anything more from 70 year old men....

Hasn't Mick said in the past that they know that if they play obscure stuff that they will lose the majority of the audience? I don't know if it's a case of being afraid or rather just realizing that there are only 15 IORR members in the audience...

Again - songs on albums that have sold millions of copies apiece cant be, by any stretch of the imagination, described as 'obscure'. An 'obscure' Rolling Stones song is something like 'Jump on top of me' - not something from 'Sticky Fingers'.

If Mick is too reticent to perform them, it says more about him than the audience.

Date: May 27, 2014 15:12

aint nothing wrong with that setlist,
All Down the Line, ER. Worried, Lets Spend the Night! And any show with both Shelter and Rambler is great to me
Guess, im the only one who is unimpressed with the stage. The lighting looks great at times though.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-27 16:09 by Donkey Girl Scout.

Posted by: alieb ()
Date: May 27, 2014 15:25

Gazza
alieb
ROPS
Once again they reharse all this great music,and then come show time is like they get afraid,and go back to the same old boring set,but like somebody else said we can't expect anything more from 70 year old men....

Hasn't Mick said in the past that they know that if they play obscure stuff that they will lose the majority of the audience? I don't know if it's a case of being afraid or rather just realizing that there are only 15 IORR members in the audience...

Again - songs on albums that have sold millions of copies apiece cant be, by any stretch of the imagination, described as 'obscure'. An 'obscure' Rolling Stones song is something like 'Jump on top of me' - not something from 'Sticky Fingers'.

If Mick is too reticent to perform them, it says more about him than the audience.

Yeah okay, but I think you know what I mean by 'obscure'- stuff that your average person who has enough money to spend on a Rolling Stones ticket wouldn't be familiar with. It definitely does say more about him than the audience, but I wouldn't say it's not a smart decision, business wise.

Posted by: StonesAustria ()
Date: May 27, 2014 15:26

Keith´s jacket last night, it was probably the worst stage Outfit ever seen on him. Can anyone stop him wearing this "I´m your Couch potato grandpa" kinda stuff. Even if ist YSL it is still bs. Totally turns me off. I mean really ......

Do the girls still scream, when you perform on stage? KR: Not on stage, but when I perform, yeah.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: May 27, 2014 15:43

I'm still hoping they bring out CYHMK with Taylor for a few shows...

Thanks DP and others for your reviews!!

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: May 27, 2014 15:56

DandelionPowderman
The show was brilliant. Sloppy as hell, way too loud and in a room full of echo where the best sound in the house was supposed to be.

After a blistering set by the warm up-act, Big Bang, I was curious about how the Stones would follow. One simple answer: By turning up the volume - loud! (And Big Bang was loud as well, mind you).

In short, the first half of the show was a bit shaky, with some exceptions:

- Worried About You was stunning!
- The rendition of Let's Spend The Night Together was probably the best I've ever heard
- Emotional Rescue was great fun, although Mick had some hearing problems (something he had quite a few times during the show - starting singalongs on the wrong beat etc.)

They had problems ending All Down The Line (which was a fantastic version anyway), and kept on playing forever, before Ronnie wrapped it up by pushing his effect pedal, playing the riff on his light strings to get Keith and the horns on track.

Then came Keith's set...

A lovely You Got The Silver. I like his other ballads, but on nights like these you'd want him to keep it in the setlist forever.

Can't Be Seen...
What a mess! What a lovely mess!! grinning smiley From the get-go, this is awesome. A guitar heavy version, with great singing from Keith. Then they get lost - or more correctly Keith gets lost, and Ronnie had a vague idea of what to do, but obviously wasn't quite sure smiling smiley What happened was that Keith just withdrew from it all, and kept on playing one chord. The rest of the band tries different solutions, because Keith didn't consider starting the next verse as an option. The Ronnie decides to step up. He moves over to Bernard and Lisa, points at Bernard and a couple of seconds later Bernard sings the beginning of the bridge, with Keith following a second later. All the same, this was a lovely experience of an organic band, who takes chances and creates music on the spot without taking themselves to seriously thumbs up

MR was great as always, and Mick Taylor played his a$$ off. He got great reviews in the norwegian press, and the ever-returning question of why they're not using him more was asked again.

And now, there is a reason why the warhorses get played everytime! My goodness, how good those songs were yesterday. This Gimme Shelter is up there with the best ones ever. Despite Mick's hearing problems, something he coped with by cutting words and by "speak-singing", his interaction and dueting with Lisa was simply amazing. Of course I'm biased by watching that from a couple of meters distance, but it was lovely - and the crowd was amazed.

We know the rest of the set, we heard the songs many times in concert - but when played well, those songs are the best songs in the world - and yesterday they were goose-bumpingly fantastic.

They added a new little gosple coda on YCAGWYW after the ending, which took the audience completely by surprise. That was brilliant thumbs up

Cheers to all the new IORR friends I've made during this week. It's been a gas! smileys with beer

Best and most surprising show ever ...

Date: May 27, 2014 16:01

kleermaker
DandelionPowderman
The show was brilliant. Sloppy as hell, way too loud and in a room full of echo where the best sound in the house was supposed to be.

After a blistering set by the warm up-act, Big Bang, I was curious about how the Stones would follow. One simple answer: By turning up the volume - loud! (And Big Bang was loud as well, mind you).

In short, the first half of the show was a bit shaky, with some exceptions:

- Worried About You was stunning!
- The rendition of Let's Spend The Night Together was probably the best I've ever heard
- Emotional Rescue was great fun, although Mick had some hearing problems (something he had quite a few times during the show - starting singalongs on the wrong beat etc.)

They had problems ending All Down The Line (which was a fantastic version anyway), and kept on playing forever, before Ronnie wrapped it up by pushing his effect pedal, playing the riff on his light strings to get Keith and the horns on track.

Then came Keith's set...

A lovely You Got The Silver. I like his other ballads, but on nights like these you'd want him to keep it in the setlist forever.

Can't Be Seen...
What a mess! What a lovely mess!! grinning smiley From the get-go, this is awesome. A guitar heavy version, with great singing from Keith. Then they get lost - or more correctly Keith gets lost, and Ronnie had a vague idea of what to do, but obviously wasn't quite sure smiling smiley What happened was that Keith just withdrew from it all, and kept on playing one chord. The rest of the band tries different solutions, because Keith didn't consider starting the next verse as an option. The Ronnie decides to step up. He moves over to Bernard and Lisa, points at Bernard and a couple of seconds later Bernard sings the beginning of the bridge, with Keith following a second later. All the same, this was a lovely experience of an organic band, who takes chances and creates music on the spot without taking themselves to seriously thumbs up

MR was great as always, and Mick Taylor played his a$$ off. He got great reviews in the norwegian press, and the ever-returning question of why they're not using him more was asked again.

And now, there is a reason why the warhorses get played everytime! My goodness, how good those songs were yesterday. This Gimme Shelter is up there with the best ones ever. Despite Mick's hearing problems, something he coped with by cutting words and by "speak-singing", his interaction and dueting with Lisa was simply amazing. Of course I'm biased by watching that from a couple of meters distance, but it was lovely - and the crowd was amazed.

We know the rest of the set, we heard the songs many times in concert - but when played well, those songs are the best songs in the world - and yesterday they were goose-bumpingly fantastic.

They added a new little gosple coda on YCAGWYW after the ending, which took the audience completely by surprise. That was brilliant thumbs up

Cheers to all the new IORR friends I've made during this week. It's been a gas! smileys with beer

Best and most surprising show ever ...

hot smileysmileys with beer
Thanks Dandelion and Kleermaker. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Great show and Setlist !!!
Jezus, what a band !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
jeroen

Posted by: michaelsavage ()
Date: May 27, 2014 16:10

dcba
michaelsavage
Sad sad sad set list. Oh well

This post is meant to be ironic, right? confused smiley

Unfortunately, NO

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: May 27, 2014 16:19

Where is BV?

Posted by: Wroclaw ()
Date: May 27, 2014 16:20

StonesAustria
Keith´s jacket last night, it was probably the worst stage Outfit ever seen on him. Can anyone stop him wearing this "I´m your Couch potato grandpa" kinda stuff. Even if ist YSL it is still bs. Totally turns me off. I mean really ......

No joke - he looks like a homeless. Just hand him a supermarket cart and he would be able to walk the streets of any big city in the west unrecognized.

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: May 27, 2014 16:21

shattered
Where is BV?

Somewhere in the air between Oslo and Lisboa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-27 16:23 by 1962.

Date: May 27, 2014 16:27

michaelsavage
dcba
michaelsavage

Unfortunately, NO

i think Savages remarks should be reported, but BV is not on line.
jeroen

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: May 27, 2014 16:42

"Should be reported" . .?! Where have we got to?

Posted by: Heart for Stones ()
Date: May 27, 2014 16:43

Opening + Jumping Jack Flash

video: [www.youtube.com]

All the Best!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-28 00:55 by Heart for Stones.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 27, 2014 16:44

This thread was a great read BTW...felt like we were there.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: May 27, 2014 16:46

drbryant
Little disappointed that they've stayed with a 19 song set. But for most Europeans, they heard many songs for the first times which is nice. First time for Doom & Gloom, Emotional Rescue and and CBS, and Worried About You is a great deep track. Good show.

So a Stones show is no good unless they play many short songs? The show lasted 2h 20 min ...

Bjornulf

Date: May 27, 2014 16:46

Heart for Stones
Opening with JJF
video: [youtu.be]

All the Best!

Best version I've ever heard !

Posted by: Svartmer ()
Date: May 27, 2014 16:53

corriecas
michaelsavage
dcba
michaelsavage

Unfortunately, NO

jeroen

So you seriously think that it should be forbidden to have an opinion about the setlist? I will see them in Stockholm, but I can´t deny that it would be nice to see some more "obscure" songs in the set.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: May 27, 2014 16:55

RockandRollCircus
Thanks DP. I wasn't meant to be harsh...maybe I was, although the solo did resemble one of those hurdle jumpers at the olympics who are doing great and then trip on the 3d to last hurdle spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
as seen here [www.youtube.com]

Thanks for the link, the "smile" is at about 2'12" and doesn't look like a "WTF" to me, more like the face he did at LA3 when Taylor was soloing like crazy on CYHMK, i.e. he was happy ;-)

Based on the clips and particularly HTW it seems Mick was actually having fun yesterday and not being the "ultra-serious/pro" (for lack of a better word combination). Can't remember the last time I saw him like that...at the Trabendo possibly...it was a huge contrast a month later at the O2 when he looked dead serious during "I wanna be your man", working the (pretty unresponsive) O2 crowd. Anyway that was then, this is now and it's good to see him like this! Did those in attendance get that feeling too?

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: May 27, 2014 17:02

Mick is really a great professionnal. The class.

Hum, Keith solo on HTW is not good at all and quite out of tune... (1'43 to 2'12...)

Technical problem ?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-27 17:14 by Powerage.

Date: May 27, 2014 17:11

Svartmer
corriecas
michaelsavage
dcba
michaelsavage

Unfortunately, NO

jeroen

So you seriously think that it should be forbidden to have an opinion about the setlist? I will see them in Stockholm, but I can´t deny that it would be nice to see some more "obscure" songs in the set.

No, its not forbidden. but Savages remarks are...............
anyway, i think there wont be any more obscure songs in the setlist for a long time. except for Stockholm, cause i will be attending !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hahahaha
and ronnie and keef know this , so they shall do their utter best to give us a great show.

jeroen

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-27 17:12 by corriecas.

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: May 27, 2014 17:29

Based on the clips I've listened to, the band sounded a little rusty indeed. On the other hand, I think they'll get better and better as the tour progresses.

Date: May 27, 2014 17:30

<Thanks Dandelion and Kleermaker>

smiling smiley

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: May 27, 2014 17:32

Wake me up when Taylor is on another song than MR and SF. I don't care for the rest of the show.

Date: May 27, 2014 17:35

Donkey Girl Scout
aint nothing wrong with that setlist,
All Down the Line, ER. Worried, Lets Spend the Night! And any show with both Shelter and Rambler is great to me
Guess, im the only one who is unimpressed with the stage. The lighting looks great at times though.

.... Except for the fact that the 'Fan Vote' was rigged for "Let's Spend the Night Together" .... a song that was already played in Norway by the Stones in 2006 AND in 1998.

They were rehearsing "Let's Spend the Night Together" in that exact slot in the set list nearly 72 hours BEFORE the voting supposedly closed.

If the vote must be rigged,then rig it in a way that at least the non-warhorses are not repeated.

There is enough repetition with the warhorses. They should forget about repeating the non-warhorses,in my view. There are way too many other options.

Instead of "Let's Spend the Night Together",they should have played either "Get Off of My Cloud" or "When the Whip Comes Down".

Additionally,if they did a better job of looking back at past set lists in given locations (as they claim to do),they would have played "Rocks Off" instead of "All Down the Line".

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: May 27, 2014 17:56

Think I'll go to bed as well . .

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1617181920212223242526...LastNext
Current Page: 21 of 29

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1832
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home