Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
"Dylanologists" and "Stones hardcore fans"
Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: May 21, 2014 17:55

I just ran across a Bob Dylan quote about his hardest followers,
the so-called "Dylanologists", made in 2001:

In an interview conducted by Alan Jackson for The Times Magazine in 2001,
before the album [Love And Theft ]was released, Dylan said “these
so-called connoisseurs of Bob Dylan music…I don’t feel they know a thing,
or have any inkling of who I am and what I’m about. I know they think
they do, and yet it’s ludicrous, it’s humorous, and sad. That such
people have spent so much of their time thinking about who? Me? Get
a life, please. It’s not something any one person should do about another.
You’re not serving your own life well. You’re wasting your life.”

I know that every group has followers that go beyond some "point",
maybe even here. I would call myself a "hardcore Stonesfan", having seen
them XX times, paying thousands for their music and memorabilia.

So who does Dylan mean? The guy who bought the house next to his birthplace?
Or the 100+ concert goer? I think it´s a hard quote. But that´s Dylan.

I can´t imagine the Stones saying such things about, well, us. I´d be very pissed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-21 18:10 by TooTough.

Re: "Dylanologists" and "Stones hardcore fans"
Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: May 21, 2014 18:03

That's one of the most intellegent things Bob Dylan has ever said (IMHO)...and he has said a lot of intellegent things...smoking smiley

Date: May 21, 2014 18:06

BluzDude
That's one of the most intellegent things Bob Dylan has ever said (IMHO)...and he has said a lot of intellegent things...smoking smiley

...referring that to Dylan fans (not Stones fans), as they are more vicious (not you Gazza) than most hardcore fans I know.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: May 21, 2014 18:11

I'm with Bob and Bluz Dude.

As for IORR fans, many are intelligent and lead full lives. The Stones are a beloved hobby but not the focal point of their existence.

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: May 21, 2014 18:11

Thanks God The Rolling Stones never allowed their fans to take the band too seriously.
Just have a good time.
It's only rock and roll after all isn't it?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-21 18:12 by 1962.

Posted by: Dreamer ()
Date: May 21, 2014 18:13

It's not a hard quote. It's honest.
Why pay thousands for their music and memorabilia confused smiley
Hundreds ok for regular cd's or vinyl and some shows here and there but thousands? And memorabilia?
Two quotes:

I don’t feel they know a thing,
they do, and yet it’s ludicrous, it’s humorous, and sad.

I can´t imagine the Stones saying such things about, well, us.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-21 18:15 by Dreamer.

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: May 21, 2014 18:17

TooTough
I just ran across a Bob Dylan quote about his hardest followers,
the so-called "Dylanologists", made in 2001:

In an interview conducted by Alan Jackson for The Times Magazine in 2001,
before the album [Love And Theft ]was released, Dylan said “these
so-called connoisseurs of Bob Dylan music…I don’t feel they know a thing,
they do, and yet it’s ludicrous, it’s humorous, and sad. That such
people have spent so much of their time thinking about who? Me? Get
a life, please. It’s not something any one person should do about another.
You’re not serving your own life well. You’re wasting your life.”

I know that every group has followers that go beyond some "point",
maybe even here. I would call myself a "hardcore Stonesfan", having seen
them XX times, paying thousands for their music and memorabilia.

So who does Dylan mean? The guy who bought the house next to his birthplace?
Or the 100+ concert goer? I think it´s a hard quote. But that´s Dylan.

I can´t imagine the Stones saying such things about, well, us. I´d be very pissed.

I have never understood why people get caught up in the lives of musicians that they like.. Very strange indeed. I wouldn't walk across the street shake any of their hands..Like to listen to their music and that's it.

I think Dylan is far and away the greatest artist of the rock era but have no respect for him at all. I work with a lot of people I respect a lot more..Just the fact that he fell for the Hurricane crap and actually lied his way through a song about it bothers me, and the death Of hattie Carrol hoax bothers me about him..

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: May 21, 2014 18:23

Dreamer
It's not a hard quote. It's honest.
Why pay thousands for their music and memorabilia confused smiley
Hundreds ok for regular cd's or vinyl and some shows here and there but thousands? And memorabilia?
[/b]

32 years being a fan and thousands is just fine.
And memorabilia is i.e. books and posters for example.
What´s wrong about that?

but
Hundreds for regular CDs and some shows here and there?

Just hundreds? Where do you get your tickets from?

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: May 21, 2014 18:48

stonesrule
I'm with Bob and Bluz Dude.

As for IORR fans, many are intelligent and lead full lives. The Stones are a beloved hobby but not the focal point of their existence.

thumbs up

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: MILKYWAY ()
Date: May 21, 2014 18:48

Bob has got some kooky followers all right.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: May 21, 2014 18:52

BluzDude
BluzDude

...referring that to Dylan fans (not Stones fans), as they are more vicious (not you Gazza) than most hardcore fans I know.

That's a good point. I remember at the Bob Dylan show I saw overhearing his fans in line before the show... the negative talk on here is nothing compared to how they can be.

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: May 21, 2014 18:59

Why should Bob care? If that's what the y want to do, them let them do it (and 'waste their life.'). He should be happy as they are likely consumers of his records. Same with the 'Stones hardcore fans.'

Date: May 21, 2014 19:02

Dylan & the Dead must have been interesting to see (from a perspective of watching the fans).

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: May 21, 2014 19:07

Dammit I thought I knew Bob then he goes and says a thing like this!winking smiley

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: May 21, 2014 20:36

Just found this: "Something's Missing in Dinkytown", journalmpls.com, May 15-28, 2014, 711 15th Avenue SE is now a hole in the ground. This apartment is where the first tape recording completed by Herrn Dylan and a copy is available at the History Center for use. I would scan but no scanner. Sorry.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: May 21, 2014 20:51

I've never quite understood the phenomena of being too close to a performer or group. Frankly, I think it's a little odd to follow the Stones around the world and see very gig. (No disrespect, BV). I would be bored to tears. Same with Bob. At least with Bob he mixes up the setlist a lot more, but it would be trying, listening to Bob sing night after night.

I went to a Dylan concert with a guy in 2001 who knew how to get all the live shows and he listened to them in his car. I thought they were hard to listen to, and the quality stank. I've never liked listening to the Stones boot 'Liver Than You'll Ever Be' because it's such a crap recording. (Unless there's a true soundboard out there).

I never got those guys that would go through Dylan's garbage. How pathetic. He's a friggin' pop artist. Period. Did they think they'd find the secret to life sniffing Bob's discarded egg carton?

I read on here about people that just have to have whatever redundant product the Stones put out. Why would a real fan need Grrrrr, when you could just download Doom and Gloom? There is nothing on there you shouldn't already have in SACD for the Klein era, and various remasters for everything after.

I think Dylan, in the late 60s, and the Stones after Altamont, worked to quiet down the obsession level of a certain rabid minority of their fan base. Maybe 'It's Only Rock & Roll' was part of that.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: May 22, 2014 03:04

stanlove

.Just the fact that he fell for the Hurricane crap and actually lied his way through a song about it bothers me, and the death Of hattie Carrol hoax bothers me about him..

LIED? A whole lotta mischaracterization goin' on there.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: May 22, 2014 03:42

Being Bob Dylan? All in a day's work I'm sure. Nothing to obsess on....

Posted by: slew ()
Date: May 22, 2014 04:14

Stanlove is pretty much right. A former teacher of mine who loves Dylan had this to say about him. "I love his music and feel that he is really not that nice a person and I'm okay with that. I feel the same way about Mick he can come off as such a dick but I don't care I love his music with the Stones. the way I feel about Mick or Keith is irrelevant I love the music. I would go across the street and shake their hand and just thank them for all the sounds and I'd do the same with Bob.

Posted by: rob51 ()
Date: May 22, 2014 05:55

I think what Dylan says is perfectly senseable and he's only being real. What does it help anyone to be so over the top infatuated by any other human? So what if they wrote and played some really great music? So did Harry down the street and he never made a dime out of it, let alone become so famous people would steal his turds.
I think it's fine to be a fan of certain groups or people but lets be sane about it. Mick Jagger himself would have more respect for you were you to behave normaly should you run into the guy than if you made an ass of yourself being all weird and overcome so yeah, I understand exactly what Dylan said.

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: May 22, 2014 06:51

24FPS
I've never quite understood the phenomena of being too close to a performer or group. Frankly, I think it's a little odd to follow the Stones around the world and see very gig. (No disrespect, BV). I would be bored to tears. Same with Bob. At least with Bob he mixes up the setlist a lot more, but it would be trying, listening to Bob sing night after night.

I went to a Dylan concert with a guy in 2001 who knew how to get all the live shows and he listened to them in his car. I thought they were hard to listen to, and the quality stank. I've never liked listening to the Stones boot 'Liver Than You'll Ever Be' because it's such a crap recording. (Unless there's a true soundboard out there).

I never got those guys that would go through Dylan's garbage. How pathetic. He's a friggin' pop artist. Period. Did they think they'd find the secret to life sniffing Bob's discarded egg carton?

I read on here about people that just have to have whatever redundant product the Stones put out. Why would a real fan need Grrrrr, when you could just download Doom and Gloom? There is nothing on there you shouldn't already have in SACD for the Klein era, and various remasters for everything after.

I think Dylan, in the late 60s, and the Stones after Altamont, worked to quiet down the obsession level of a certain rabid minority of their fan base. Maybe 'It's Only Rock & Roll' was part of that.

Agree with almost all of this. One of the differences between Dylan and The Stones is that while both "blinked" at a certain point in their careers when confronted with the superheated cauldron of fame and notoriety and "cultural importance," Bob late in his career (beginning with TIME OUT OF MIND) found his way back, regained his nerve, and created some of the greatest records of his life.

The Stones never came back, artistically. They're a great, fun band to see live (amazing considering their ages), but they retreated from the knife's edge and chose to circle the world endlessly on a decades-long greatest hits tour.

Posted by: thosewildhorses ()
Date: May 22, 2014 08:06

nightskyman
Why should Bob care? If that's what the y want to do, them let them do it (and 'waste their life.'). He should be happy as they are likely consumers of his records. Same with the 'Stones hardcore fans.'

yes indeed and paid for his fame and fortune....winking smiley

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: May 22, 2014 10:18

LongBeachArena72
24FPS

Agree with almost all of this. One of the differences between Dylan and The Stones is that while both "blinked" at a certain point in their careers when confronted with the superheated cauldron of fame and notoriety and "cultural importance," Bob late in his career (beginning with TIME OUT OF MIND) found his way back, regained his nerve, and created some of the greatest records of his life.

The Stones never came back, artistically. They're a great, fun band to see live (amazing considering their ages), but they retreated from the knife's edge and chose to circle the world endlessly on a decades-long greatest hits tour.

Well put.

Posted by: Dreamer ()
Date: May 22, 2014 11:47

stonehearted
Being Bob Dylan? All in a day's work I'm sure. Nothing to obsess on....

Deyyoh!
I like the dog training with just the instrument smiling bouncing smiley

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: May 22, 2014 12:25

Yes them that spent time diggin in what Dylan ment with this or that is quite boring..he has made some great songs and thats it...two or three hundreds to be precise...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Braincapers ()
Date: May 22, 2014 13:29

Bob has had 50 years on his own not part of a group sharing the load, he's had people going through his bins, he's been the spokesman of a generation, he was introduced at Live Aid as 'transcendental' and every lyric he writes is analysed and interpreted.

He's probably seen more fan excess than most. I mean this is site for serious Stones fans but we don't analyse every song Mick and Keith ever wrote for hidden meanings.

Posted by: GOO ()
Date: May 22, 2014 14:34

Great quote

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: May 22, 2014 16:23

Some Stones hardcore fans resemble soccer fans, "Keith is in his best form ever", "so and so many sold tickets", "Last tour was the greatest ever and the next will be even better".

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: May 22, 2014 16:52

LongBeachArena72

One interesting question is whether the Stones did what they did in that direction, out of their own unprovoked wish? Or if the recordbuying public and concertgoing audiences would not let them act otherwise?

If I had had my own firat wish, the two concerts I am going to attend these coming weeks, would have had no songs, outsides encores, that belonged to releases elder than their latest two studio albums. On the other hand, extra materiale from the vaults released since then, might have figured in setlists. However, not so many would probably have wanted that package, I believe not even many of those who criticize them for playing greatest hits.

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: May 22, 2014 17:09

Redhotcarpet
Some Stones hardcore fans resemble soccer fans, "Keith is in his best form ever", "so and so many sold tickets", "Last tour was the greatest ever and the next will be even better".

That's pretty harsh...so you think soccer fans are lunatics?

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1587
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home