Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 3 of 7
Re: The Rolling Stones in Oslo May 2014
Posted by: bv ()
Date: May 23, 2014 01:02

Yesterday was chaotic with many press people and tight security. It was great to hear them in my own neighbourhood, like a 15 minutes drive from home. But I have piled up weeks of work into this week's schedule, because I leave the country for the tour on Tuesday. So too little sleep and too much work makes it harder to follow the band I love so much up close ...

I never made it to the Fornebu Race yesterday. By then I was at the Jar rehearsals. So much more fun to be close to the Stones, and like a friend of mine said out there -- you can run 10k every day, but you don't have the Stones rehearsing within biking distance from home that often.

My wife has given up on my availability ever since they started rehearsing in London recently. She could talk to the dog and get more feedback. I have to admit I have been a zombie lately. But when they arrived into Oslo they made life a little bit easier for me. Except for my tight work schedule. I managed to do a conference in the morning today in Oslo, as well as a 3 hours training course, a delayed train ride and then over to the Jar rehearsals, just in time. So no worries.

Today was all different. Only two from the press, and they were there as fans more than just press I think. When you stay from start to finish you do your job by heart and not just because they pay you. The rest of us were fans and neighbours. We were 10-15 in the afternoon, and by the time the band finished the rehearsals, we were 30-40. Friends I have been on tour with 10-20-30 years ago met up. Fans and friends from Kristiansand, Oslo, Asker, Bærum, Østfold many places around in the area, almost like we had a school reunion but there was no invitation and no school class, we just came to the same place, like the pilgrims to Mecca.

And we got to hear them run through famous and great songs we probably will get on Monday, like "Miss You", "Out Of Control" - two takes with great sound because they opened some doors, "The Last Time", "Start Me Up", and more. Also, since we did not hear that well, we could talk. A lot. About shows we we went to in 1989 USA, Ullevi 1982, Valle Hovin 1990, so many great moments we share. That is the great thing about the rehearsals. It is not just about listening. It is not just about stalking. Some got a pick. Some were filmed for the Stones vaults. The press got their fan stories. Stonesland is the best place on the planet when you are among friends, and we have a story of 40-50 years to share most of us.

Then the Transam Trucking trucks came. Two of them. From Fornebu. They are moving out. Then Mick left. Then Charlie. Then Ronnie. Then Keith. They even rolled down the window and said hi to us and goodbye. The press got their photos and we got the smiles and the handshakes we always aim at from the Stones. Smiling happy fans on a hot early summer day at Jar, the center of Stonesland for a few short days. The lilacs are in blossom all over and the fans are warming up for the big event with close contact with the band members.

Now it is four days until the tour start on Monday. I will get on my bike tomorrow. I will race by the fjord to the city, but I will do a turn out to the old Fornebu airport and check out what is happening there. Then I will meet friends yet again, and I might even have a beer because I am biking, and I can dream about a rehearsed version of may be Silver Train or may be Memory Motel and for sure Rambler with Taylor.

I am easy to please. All I need is the Stones. And they are right here waiting for me every day. Where I live. In my home town...

REPORTS FROM THE THREE REPORTERS ON SITE TODAY:

TV2:
Her får Stein «high five» fra Stones-gitaristen
JAR (TV 2) Ronnie Wood (66) var i kjempehumør da han forlot øvingslokalene på Jar. Det ga Stein Halvorsen et uforglemmelig øyeblikk.
[www.tv2.no]

Budstikka :
Venter på et glimt av Stones
Helt fra Kristiansand til Jar har Anders Mellerud (27) reist for å vente på de gamle guttene i Rolling Stones.
[www.budstikka.no]

VG:
Keith Richards om Norge: - So far so good, brother : Keith Richards om Norge: - So far so good, brother
[www.vg.no]

Bjornulf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-23 01:13 by bv.

Re: The Rolling Stones rehearsals in Oslo May 2014
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: May 23, 2014 01:30

Thanks for the report and the links. Great stuff.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: May 23, 2014 02:28

bv
I am easy to please. All I need is the Stones.

And a beer every now and then smileys with beer Cheers mate

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: May 23, 2014 02:41

Those short clips just go to show that the Stones never fail to generate excitement wherever they go. There is nothing to beat those guys.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: May 23, 2014 02:43

Beast
There is nothing to beat those guys.

You got that one right

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: May 23, 2014 02:55

Great to hear all the latest news.
Gatwick airport tonight...................Oslo tomorrow morning..............Stones gig on Monday night.

Lots to look forward to. smileys with beer

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: May 23, 2014 04:23

Doxa
bye bye johnny

Funny to think how much those two guys are discussed here, and how much tension is put here between them by "Taylorites" and "Woodities", and now they are sitting there on the backseat together... Isn't that lovely?

- Doxa

I think it's great. Just wish they'd let Taylor play a little more.

Date: May 23, 2014 04:25

Beast
Those short clips just go to show that the Stones never fail to generate excitement wherever they go. There is nothing to beat those guys.

And to think they have been generating this kind of excitement now for almost 52 years is hard to comprehend. If you were a fan of the band from the beginning then you must feel like you have been living in some kind of heaven on earth for the last half century.

Date: May 23, 2014 04:26

71Tele
Doxa
bye bye johnny

Funny to think how much those two guys are discussed here, and how much tension is put here between them by "Taylorites" and "Woodities", and now they are sitting there on the backseat together... Isn't that lovely?

- Doxa

Maybe they will.

Posted by: stonesstein ()
Date: May 23, 2014 06:18

Agreed, perhaps with Taylor playing a smoking lead on 100 Years Ago!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just saying........................

stonesstein

Kick me like you did before
I can't even feel the pain no more
Rocks Off, 1972

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: May 23, 2014 06:51

Rokyfan
LongBeachArena72
VOODOOSEBI
bv
This thread is about their visit to Oslo. I don't think we should spend time discussing set lists here. We should be glad they are still on tour performing, and I love every song they do. The day I don't enjoy a particular Stones song then they will carry be out in a coffin.

sorry, you´re completly right with every word you say. i don´t wanted to offend anybody, i just wanted to explain why i´m not hoping that ER gets a permanent slot in the set

But you are right bv, you have to be happy & i am very happy, that they are still out there and doing it in a fantastic way.

can´t wait that the games will begin again next monday in oslo>grinning smiley<

all the best

Yikes!

This reminds me of the Billy Mumy Twilight Zone episode called "It's A Good Life," in which a child with lethal telekinetic powers holds a town hostage:

[en.wikipedia.org]

I think it's Ok to have an opinion here, right? Or not?

classic episode. Apt citation also. It is OK to have an opinion. Just keep it to yourself.

Understood. Thanks.

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: May 23, 2014 08:31

I walk a smile. This is going to cook.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: May 23, 2014 09:05

thanks for the story BV .
Guess the band will take some rest, and then hey.................

Jeroen

Posted by: champ72 ()
Date: May 23, 2014 09:55

Doxa
bye bye johnny

- Doxa

It sure is.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: May 23, 2014 12:28

Nice report BV. It's great that a thing you love never lets you down and continues to channel the same excitement as from the first day you heard and saw it.

Date: May 23, 2014 12:48

Thanks for that report BV, nicely done! You are absolutely right that when going to a Stones gig, the music is only half of it.....meeting friends and fellow fans is a huge part of the thrill of being in a city when the Stones are in town. I will not be in Oslo but am sure everyone will give the band an especially HUGE welcome, well alright!

Date: May 23, 2014 12:56

So, what are they doing now, maybe rehearse at the Arena?????
Jeroen

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: May 23, 2014 14:26

I've had a walk around Oslo S rail station area and warmer here than I expected.

Went past the shop with the Trolls outside.

Just got to my place at Oslo Hostel Ronningen which isn't too far from bus and metro I think.
Room not ready yet so killing time after an uphill walk that made my legs tired.

Anything happening anywhere tonight.????

Hope to see some of you from IORR soon. >grinning smiley<

Posted by: chriseganstar ()
Date: May 23, 2014 14:50

crawdaddy
I've had a walk around Oslo S rail station area and warmer here than I expected.

Just got to my place at Oslo Hostel Ronningen which isn't too far from bus and metro I think.
Room not ready yet so killing time after an uphill walk that made my legs tired.

I'm flying up from Newquay to Gatwick on Sunday, over to Oslo on Monday morning, got a room at the Gardermoen airport Hotel, easy to get to Lysaker Station for the show and then fly back on Tuesday afternoon. Where is everyone meeting for beers beforehand ? Hope to see you Monday afternoon.

Satisfied since 1976

Posted by: tussler ()
Date: May 23, 2014 14:54

One my way south to Oslo with a happy smile smileys with beer

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: May 23, 2014 14:57

71Tele

Yeah, the whole concert.

Posted by: JumpinJeppeFlash ()
Date: May 23, 2014 15:59

chriseganstar
crawdaddy

I'm flying up from Newquay to Gatwick on Sunday, over to Oslo on Monday morning, got a room at the Gardermoen airport Hotel, easy to get to Lysaker Station for the show and then fly back on Tuesday afternoon. Where is everyone meeting for beers beforehand ? Hope to see you Monday afternoon.

Expensive beer, be prepared to pay 80-100 NOK for each beer. Thats about
$12-14.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: May 23, 2014 16:25

His Majesty
Doxa
bye bye johnny

- Doxa

Well, being third men they had/have a pretty unique view of The Rolling Stones, seems they handled things quite differently though. grinning smiley

They both seem to have had to eventually swallow their pride and their masters cocks though. eye popping smiley

Brian would rather die than do that. >grinning smiley<

Do you have a line with his ghost?

Date: May 23, 2014 16:48

kleermaker

No, that passed away when it heard the horrible Hot Stuff. eye popping smiley

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 23, 2014 17:00

His Majesty
kleermaker

No, that passed away when it heard the horrible Hot Stuff. eye popping smiley

you don't like it eh?

Me, I, can't get enuff!

Date: May 23, 2014 17:06

treaclefingers

Me, I, can't get enuff!

Up to that time it was the lowest musical point of their career.

All it needed to complete the cheese fest of highlife party music was the inclusion of clinking cocktail glasses. grinning smiley

Back to Olso. thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-23 17:11 by His Majesty.

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: May 23, 2014 17:26

Good to see them doing Out Of Control. Out of all the "recent" songs , that seems to translate the best on stage.

Date: May 23, 2014 17:28

andrewt
Good to see them doing Out Of Control. Out of all the "recent" songs , that seems to translate the best on stage.

Yeah , it was a Killer on stage, Loved it.
Jeroen

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: May 23, 2014 18:44

Yep wonder why it was only played at O2/1, something must have gone wrong for them...not that anyone noticed AFAIK.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: May 23, 2014 19:33

Thanks, bv for the report.

Is Mick smiling? That´s the most important thing to me at the moment.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 3 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1782
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home