Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1617181920212223242526
Current Page: 26 of 26
Re: OT: TICKET SCALPING ...the end might be coming into sight
Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: February 27, 2020 15:28

As long as there is greed and status, there will be ticket scalping.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: February 27, 2020 17:52

Elmo Lewis

Now scalpers (Stubhub, etc) are doing things like sponsoring stadiums & teams. It's here to stay. I have never been able to understand how Ticketmaster is allowed to scalp their own product. It's insane. I watched a PBS documentary on Jeff Bezos where he talked about "consumerism" like it was a religion. Of course with him as the high priest. Strange & in a lot of ways bad times.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: February 27, 2020 18:32

Elmo Lewis

I should have said "are", not "is".

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: February 27, 2020 19:50

crholmstrom
Elmo Lewis

Now scalpers (Stubhub, etc) are doing things like sponsoring stadiums & teams. It's here to stay. I have never been able to understand how Ticketmaster is allowed to scalp their own product. It's insane. I watched a PBS documentary on Jeff Bezos where he talked about "consumerism" like it was a religion. Of course with him as the high priest. Strange & in a lot of ways bad times.

What is there to disallow and how would you do it?

Live Nation pays huge upfront fees for the right to produce whole tours so they can do whatever it takes to recoup their investment and make a profit.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: February 27, 2020 21:35

Tickets seem available for all shows, even San Diego.

Date: February 27, 2020 22:03

Dan
crholmstrom
Elmo Lewis

Live Nation pays huge upfront fees for the right to produce whole tours so they can do whatever it takes to recoup their investment and make a profit.

Back in the day, any scalping was illegal in any form. Things were a lot more straight forward. Out of respect for BV, won't get into a discussion about the politics or morality of it. I try to do all I can to avoid scalping, resort fees, flexible pricing, etc. It's hard work but am largely successful. Also, I try to find ways to avoid dealing with large corporations. Until recently, I work for 1 of the bigger ones & disillusioned would be a good word. I don't make any judgements on how anyone chooses to live their lives. I just choose to try & live as I described. My motto is be what you want to be, do what you want to do. It's all good as long as no one gets hurt & I don't have to watch if I don't want to. Haha. smileys with beer

Date: February 27, 2020 22:54

crholmstrom
Dan
crholmstrom
Elmo Lewis

Back in the day, any scalping was illegal in any form. Things were a lot more straight forward. Out of respect for BV, won't get into a discussion about the politics or morality of it. I try to do all I can to avoid scalping, resort fees, flexible pricing, etc. It's hard work but am largely successful. Also, I try to find ways to avoid dealing with large corporations. Until recently, I work for 1 of the bigger ones & disillusioned would be a good word. I don't make any judgements on how anyone chooses to live their lives. I just choose to try & live as I described. My motto is be what you want to be, do what you want to do. It's all good as long as no one gets hurt & I don't have to watch if I don't want to. Haha. smileys with beer

Scalping is primarily a trespassing violation with regards to unauthorized ticket selling on private property. If you have any evidence that any ticket reselling at all was illegal in all 50 states (I assume you are in the U.S.) I would love to see it.

Date: February 28, 2020 04:30

Dan
crholmstrom
Dan
crholmstrom
Elmo Lewis

Scalping is primarily a trespassing violation with regards to unauthorized ticket selling on private property. If you have any evidence that any ticket reselling at all was illegal in all 50 states (I assume you are in the U.S.) I would love to see it.

I just know how it was in Seattle when I was in high school in the late 70s. It was a city by city, state by state thing. As far as Livenation goes, we managed to have concerts before they existed. I suppose you know that they own Ticketmaster, too. Incidentally, we survived just fine before them, too. We used to camp out at ticket outlets for big shows such as Led Zeppelin in 1977 for 1 example. I actually beat them in a dispute & got an apology from the CEO of Livenation. They refused to sell me disabled seats to a Seattle Seahawks game illegally as I am certified by the state as disabled. I sicced a local consumer advocate on them & was on tv. It got picked up a little nationally, too. TM of course tried to throw the Seahawks under the bus when they had nothing to do with it. I ended up with the apology & prime tickets to the biggest game of the year. In gratitude, the Seahawks also were selling me disabled seats at season ticket prices for some years. Check out article below. It's all just wrong. Greed uber alles. Why are corporations considered people? It's just already obscenely rich douche bags living off the fat of the land contributing nothing. Sorry for the rant.

[www.tampabay.com]

Date: February 29, 2020 02:40

crholmstrom
Dan
crholmstrom
Dan
crholmstrom
Elmo Lewis

I just know how it was in Seattle when I was in high school in the late 70s. It was a city by city, state by state thing. As far as Livenation goes, we managed to have concerts before they existed. I suppose you know that they own Ticketmaster, too. Incidentally, we survived just fine before them, too. We used to camp out at ticket outlets for big shows such as Led Zeppelin in 1977 for 1 example. I actually beat them in a dispute & got an apology from the CEO of Livenation. They refused to sell me disabled seats to a Seattle Seahawks game illegally as I am certified by the state as disabled. I sicced a local consumer advocate on them & was on tv. It got picked up a little nationally, too. TM of course tried to throw the Seahawks under the bus when they had nothing to do with it. I ended up with the apology & prime tickets to the biggest game of the year. In gratitude, the Seahawks also were selling me disabled seats at season ticket prices for some years. Check out article below. It's all just wrong. Greed uber alles. Why are corporations considered people? It's just already obscenely rich douche bags living off the fat of the land contributing nothing. Sorry for the rant.

[www.tampabay.com]

It's just a concert. People can stop spending the money and the prices come down. Consumers are absolutely at fault, they drove the prices up by continuing to pay whatever was asked.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: February 29, 2020 14:50

I am very glad to see that this thread, which is now coming up for six years old, still gets woken up by folk once in a while and used.

For those of you that can be bothered to look at the first page, or couple of pages, you'll see that my reason for starting it in the first place was essentially to (a) blow off steam/vent my frustration at the manipulative practices being pursued at that time by the various players plying their filthy trade in the 'secondary market', and (b) alert others who were perhaps less wise as to all the games being played out by these companies - and perhaps help them avoid getting royally screwed in their pursuit of Stones tickets.

So what's changed in those six odd years ? Well, if we recognise that there has always been scalping/touting in 'some form or other' (and there always will be), the question really relates to the phenomenon of ticket re-selling in internet era, and on a truly industrial scale at that. If we stick to that as the question, then what's changed ? Where are we now ? Worse off ? Better off ? Largely in the same place ?

There have been countless 'investigations' over recent years. Some have been performed by government(s), some have been courtesy of the press (investigative journalism), there has been whistleblowing galore, a myriad of lurid 'exposés' from various sources. Companies like SEATWAVE and GETMEIN came and went, VIAGOGO (and now STUBHUB - because they were acquired by VIAGOGO) still somehow manage to exist. TICKETMASTER has been rumbled as essentially scalping its own tickets, trying to disguise this under the banner of 'platinum' or 'dynamic pricing' etc.

In early 2020 we find ourselves in a world where things like this are happening:

[www.theguardian.com]

[www.youtube.com]

It constitutes 'movement' of some sort on the issue I suppose, 'the issue' being that of the curse of industrial scale scalping, deceit, malpractice, market manipulation - all to the detriment of the event going public.

So for the 'average Joe' who wants nothing more than a good old fashioned 'fair crack' at face value tickets for an event and to not get drawn into this murky world that the secondary market has evolved into - where do people think we are in the spring of 2020 ?

Are slowly moving towards being able to benefit from a slightly fairer and more transparent environment in which to buy tickets for events, or basically going backwards !!??

Comments ?

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-02-29 15:01 by paulywaul.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: February 29, 2020 15:34

Do scalpers pay taxes on the profits they make on reselling tickets?
Rockandroll,
Mops

Date: February 29, 2020 17:08

rollmops
Do scalpers pay taxes on the profits they make on reselling tickets?
Rockandroll,
Mops

In America, yes.

If they sell thru exchanges or are getting massive deposits in their bank accounts, then their payouts are reported to the IRS.

Now street scalpers buying and selling in the parking lot can probably under report income and profits.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: February 29, 2020 21:17

Legal companies that resell tickets help selling out shows. They reach out to persons who rarely go to concerts. The resellers have connections with unions and work Associations who inform people that they are shows. It is more expensive than buy it from Ticketmaster but for the folks not in the knowing it is easier. So maybe there is a purpose for those cies to exist.
Rockandroll,
Mops

Date: March 6, 2020 00:05

Excellent interview with NATB president Gary Adler.

This is a podcast, about 45 mins

[adlerlawpllc.com]

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: April 14, 2020 05:05

Date: April 14, 2020 07:55

<<< The Twitterverse and other social media sites exploded after the story broke. Among many things posted online were a chorus of comments that Ticketmaster’s actions were not endearing the company to its customers. Many were not printable. >>>

A mastery of understatement !!

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: April 14, 2020 13:24

Early Today on NBC reported today that Ticketmaster changed there policy where they are not issuing refunds for postponed events which we already knew . My hope is people wake up and tell Ticketmaster where to go ! Who knows maybe Congress will take this up and do something about it . Negative attention could maybe force something positive to happen ?

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: April 14, 2020 21:12

Hey Ticketmaster the chickens are coming home to roost

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: April 14, 2020 21:41

TheGreek
Early Today on NBC reported today that Ticketmaster changed there policy where they are not issuing refunds for postponed events which we already knew . My hope is people wake up and tell Ticketmaster where to go ! Who knows maybe Congress will take this up and do something about it . Negative attention could maybe force something positive to happen ?

You have to be shittin me. I can't believe this egregious behavior!!!!!

OT (possibly) VIAGOGO GOT FINED
Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: October 2, 2020 15:26

Jolly good news from Australia.

VIAGOGO fined by the main consumer regulator - $7m (AU).

[www.theguardian.com]

Let's hope they suffer.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Re: OT (possibly) VIAGOGO GOT FINED
Date: October 2, 2020 17:10

CaptainCorella

[www.theguardian.com]

Let's hope they suffer.

Better late than never !! Viagogo have been plying their filthy deceitful trade for years ...

Re: OT (possibly) VIAGOGO GOT FINED
Date: October 3, 2020 02:27

CaptainCorella

[www.theguardian.com]

Let's hope they suffer.

I would be surprised if they had 7 million yen on hand right now.

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: October 22, 2020 15:20

[www.theguardian.com]

Competition watchdog intervenes in Viagogo's $4bn takeover of StubHub

Regulator says deal between controversial ticket resale firms would harm consumers

The UK element of the takeover of ticket resale website StubHub by its rival Viagogo has been provisionally blocked by the competition watchdog, throwing the future of the controversial $4bn tie-up into doubt.

The Competition and Markets Authority (CMA) said Viagogo, which pressed ahead with the deal despite a warning from the watchdog, must now address its concerns, potentially by selling all or part of StubHub.

Stuart McIntosh, the chair of the CMA inquiry group, said: “The evidence we’ve seen so far consistently points in the same direction – that Viagogo and StubHub have a market share of more than 90% combined and compete closely with each other.

“We are therefore concerned that their merger could lead to secondary ticketing customers facing higher fees and lower quality services. We’re now inviting comments on our provisional findings and possible remedies.”

The takeover has already been described as the “worst deal in history” after it was completed shortly before the pandemic shut down the vast majority of live events around the world.

The CMA is understood to have received submissions from music industry groups concerned about the power the combined company would wield.

Both firms have drawn fire from musicians such as Ed Sheeran, as well as from MPs, for repeatedly misleading consumers and exploiting alliances with powerful ticket touts to profit from fans’ devotion to their idols.

Date: October 22, 2020 16:19

Beast
[www.theguardian.com]

Competition watchdog intervenes in Viagogo's $4bn takeover of StubHub

Regulator says deal between controversial ticket resale firms would harm consumers

The UK element of the takeover of ticket resale website StubHub by its rival Viagogo has been provisionally blocked by the competition watchdog, throwing the future of the controversial $4bn tie-up into doubt.

The Competition and Markets Authority (CMA) said Viagogo, which pressed ahead with the deal despite a warning from the watchdog, must now address its concerns, potentially by selling all or part of StubHub.

Stuart McIntosh, the chair of the CMA inquiry group, said: “The evidence we’ve seen so far consistently points in the same direction – that Viagogo and StubHub have a market share of more than 90% combined and compete closely with each other.

“We are therefore concerned that their merger could lead to secondary ticketing customers facing higher fees and lower quality services. We’re now inviting comments on our provisional findings and possible remedies.”

The takeover has already been described as the “worst deal in history” after it was completed shortly before the pandemic shut down the vast majority of live events around the world.

The CMA is understood to have received submissions from music industry groups concerned about the power the combined company would wield.

Both firms have drawn fire from musicians such as Ed Sheeran, as well as from MPs, for repeatedly misleading consumers and exploiting alliances with powerful ticket touts to profit from fans’ devotion to their idols.

VIAGOGO should simply have been put out of business (period) f***ing donkeys' years ago, they are a disgrace and an affront. And everybody knows it ......

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-10-23 17:47 by paulywaul.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1617181920212223242526
Current Page: 26 of 26

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1841
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home