Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1112131415161718192021...LastNext
Current Page: 16 of 26
Re: OT: TICKET SCALPING ...the end might be coming into sight
Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: July 17, 2018 13:59

Dan
johnnythunders
Sounds like it did not go well for fans during ticket sales for new Paul McCartney tour ...[www.nme.com]

It didn't go well for those who didn't get the tickets they wanted. However I would say it went really well for the promoters and Paul McCartney.

No doubt ... a ticket sold is a ticket sold I guess ? Regardless of who buys it in the end, either for very little or for a huge mark-up ?

This is why in order to curb these insane exploitative and deceitful excesses of the 'secondary market' - the real initiative has to come from artists and their managers. It would seem that as yet, McCartney and/or his management hasn't/haven't come round to the same way of thinking as say Sheeran, Taylor Swift etc - to name but two. At least they seem aware of the extent to which their fans are getting royally f***ed by these organisations and the various shenanigans they involve themselves in. Judging by his silence on the matter, McCartney either isn't, or worse still - doesn't give a toss !

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: July 17, 2018 14:14

paulywaul
Dan
johnnythunders
Sounds like it did not go well for fans during ticket sales for new Paul McCartney tour ...[www.nme.com]

It didn't go well for those who didn't get the tickets they wanted. However I would say it went really well for the promoters and Paul McCartney.

No doubt ... a ticket sold is a ticket sold I guess ? Regardless of who buys it in the end, either for very little or for a huge mark-up ?

This is why in order to curb these insane exploitative and deceitful excesses of the 'secondary market' - the real initiative has to come from artists and their managers. It would seem that as yet, McCartney and/or his management hasn't/haven't come round to the same way of thinking as say Sheeran, Taylor Swift etc - to name but two. At least they seem aware of the extent to which their fans are getting royally f***ed by these organisations and the various shenanigans they involve themselves in. Judging by his silence on the matter, McCartney either isn't, or worse still - doesn't give a toss !

sad smiley

For me a big part of the problem is all these presales for people who aren't necessarily fans of the artists - being a customer of a particular phone network, credit or debit card company or taking gas or electricity from a sponsoring supplier.

An open invitation for the touts(scalpers) and bots if ever there was one.

I will do what I've done to good effect several times before. Turn up on the day ticketless, wait for prices to fall and buy at the last gasp. But I'd rather it wasn't necessary in the 1st place and a way could be found to ensure that the genuine fans are looked after.

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: July 17, 2018 19:28

paulywaul
Dan
johnnythunders

What has Taylor Swift done, other than max price her tickets and rope her fans into pyramid schemes for access?

Paul McCartney has a inordinate amount of platinum priced tickets and many of the tickets on the secondary market are placed there by his team. If unsold, they end up on the primary again at some point.

And one more thing often overlooked is that for some reason, Ticketmaster at least, for major events initially releases tickets in small batches with a bigger block coming between 10:10 - 10:20 though now TM has some bizarre policy of blocking customers after 3 click throughs. To deter scalpers or pressure you into buying whatever garbage you are offered first?

Date: July 17, 2018 20:25

Dan
paulywaul
Dan
johnnythunders

What has Taylor Swift done, other than max price her tickets and rope her fans into pyramid schemes for access?

Paul McCartney has a inordinate amount of platinum priced tickets and many of the tickets on the secondary market are placed there by his team. If unsold, they end up on the primary again at some point.

And one more thing often overlooked is that for some reason, Ticketmaster at least, for major events initially releases tickets in small batches with a bigger block coming between 10:10 - 10:20 though now TM has some bizarre policy of blocking customers after 3 click throughs. To deter scalpers or pressure you into buying whatever garbage you are offered first?

Or in other words 'bait and switch'. In such circumstances, it's best to wait until the last gasp when all these parasites and chancers sh*t their pants and are forced to sell or suffer a total loss. I can get to the O2 Arena quickly, cheaply and at short notice and that's what I'll end up doing here.

When there are months to go before show day, it's easy to create a false impression of high demand. The clock running down soon finds them out.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-07-17 20:28 by grzegorz67.

Date: July 17, 2018 20:41

grzegorz67
Dan
paulywaul
Dan
johnnythunders

Or in other words 'bait and switch'. In such circumstances, it's best to wait until the last gasp when all these parasites and chancers sh*t their pants and are forced to sell or suffer a total loss. I can get to the O2 Arena quickly, cheaply and at short notice and that's what I'll end up doing here.

When there are months to go before show day, it's easy to create a false impression of high demand. The clock running down soon finds them out.

Yes, though sometimes the demand is real and the price keeps going up.

However I think these shows are in December which is the absolute softest month for events overall.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: August 5, 2018 01:28

This one really ticks me off...

[nowtoronto.com]

Scalpers cash in on benefit show for Danforth shooting victims
Ticketmaster isn't allowing resales, but that hasn't stopped scalpers from turning to resale sites, eBay and Kijiji

BY OLIVIA BEDNAR

Tickets for Billy Talent’s TOronto TOgether benefit concert sold out within minutes on August 1, but are now appearing on other websites for up to eight times the original price.

The show, which takes place at the Danforth Music Hall on August 11, was organized after the a mass shooting on July 22 on the Danforth resulted in the death of an 18-year-old woman and 10-year-old girl and left many others injured.

The concert will be hosted and headlined by rock band Billy Talent and feature other Canadian artists including City and Colour and PUP, with all proceeds going to the #TorontoStrong fund via the Toronto Foundation in support of the victims.

Ticketmaster, the official seller, removed their resell option for this show but tickets, which were originally $50, immediately started appearing on resale websites. The highest listing was found on SeatGeek for a ticket for about $420.

One Kijiji user made a post in search for a pair of tickets to the show with this description:

“Looking to get tickets to this show for face value. All of you selling tickets to a CHARITY show for over 3 times the face value should be ashamed of yourselves. Let actual fans see the artists they love. If you have kindness in your heart, and some tickets to let go, let me know.”

Hiked up prices for the show can be found on many other popular resale sites as well including eBay, where a seller has posted a pair for $700, or $350 a piece, ScoreBig, with listings up to $282 each and StubHub, with tickets going for the equivalent of $350 in Canadian dollars.

After NOW inquired about why they were reselling tickets for a benefit show at such a price, one Kijiji user selling a pair for $600 replied: “It’s my job. Same amount goes to charity no matter who buys the tickets. They could have charged more and given more to charity. I believe they have agents, managers, lawyers, and accountants working for them that can all figure out this 'demand' thing people talk about."

Really, scalpers?

Posted by: Leonioid ()
Date: August 5, 2018 03:32

^ Sad situation.... and is why I do not have a huge issue (which the whiners do) with The Stones selling their tickets for so much money these days. The Stones seem to have mastered the art of sliding pricing... the further back a ticket is the cheaper it gets... then they toss in lucky dips and it is a pretty way to price tickets. The Stones price their tickets at what the market will bear.

It is a shame all that money being made by resellers (an extra 300 bucks) is not going to the charity.

If the Stones sold all tickets for $50.00 the exact same thing would happen, The Stones would loss the money given to scalpers.

Date: August 5, 2018 03:53

Leonioid
^ Sad situation.... and is why I do not have a huge issue (which the whiners do) with The Stones selling their tickets for so much money these days. The Stones seem to have mastered the art of sliding pricing... the further back a ticket is the cheaper it gets... then they toss in lucky dips and it is a pretty way to price tickets. The Stones price their tickets at what the market will bear.

It is a shame all that money being made by resellers (an extra 300 bucks) is not going to the charity.

If the Stones sold all tickets for $50.00 the exact same thing would happen, The Stones would loss the money given to scalpers.

They could stop it at a stroke by personalising all the tickets i.e. your name is printed on the tickets and you’re ID’d on the way in. That way they can’t be resold so the touts are wasting their time and money buying them. The Stones did that in Barcelona last year. I had to show my passport.

Date: August 13, 2018 10:25

Hmmmm. Interesting:

Ticketmaster to close Seatwave and Getmein in October. That still leaves us with Viagogo and Stubhub but it’s a start and gets rid of rhe ludicrous conflict of interest that is Ticketmaster’s ownership of those sites.

[www.bbc.co.uk]

Posted by: yorkshirestone ()
Date: August 13, 2018 10:37

grzegorz67
Hmmmm. Interesting:

Ticketmaster to close Seatwave and Getmein in October. That still leaves us with Viagogo and Stubhub but it’s a start and gets rid of rhe ludicrous conflict of interest that is Ticketmaster’s ownership of those sites.

[www.bbc.co.uk]

Interesting but can’t see stubhub and Viagogo following suit as not owner by primary ticket outlets. I’ve only us d stubhub v occasionally in the past to shift the odd ticket at less than face value or to buy the off ticket at less than face value.

Date: August 13, 2018 11:57

grzegorz67
Hmmmm. Interesting:

[www.bbc.co.uk]

Same story here:

[www.independent.co.uk]

Anyway, two a**hole industrial scale scalping sites down, that leaves two to go (Stubhub and Viagogo) ..........

With luck it won't be long before they're history !!

Date: August 13, 2018 12:05

From the BBC article ....

<<< The decision to shut down Seatwave and Get Me In comes a month after the Irish government backed a bill that would ban the resale of tickets for more than face value >>>

<<< At the same time, the UK's Competition and Markets Authority is conducting an investigation into the secondary market and has said it is considering legal action against the Swiss-based firm Viagogo >>>

Yay !!! >grinning smiley<

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: August 13, 2018 12:13

I don't know what the average concert goer will gain from these closures ?

I predict that more and more tickets will be wrapped up in expensive packages and VIP sections, especially with older acts who traditionally have wealthier audiences. The Stones and Macca been the most obvious ones. The ticket agencies and THE ARTISTS will just find another way to extract every last penny.

I'm either leaving it until a few days before or turning up tickeless on the day from now on. I did 10 shows on this summer's No Filter and only paid full price once for the section I was in .We well and truly turned over the resellers and it felt GOOD.

sc uk

Posted by: glimmertwinz ()
Date: August 13, 2018 12:21

grzegorz67
Leonioid

They could stop it at a stroke by personalising all the tickets i.e. your name is printed on the tickets and you’re ID’d on the way in. That way they can’t be resold so the touts are wasting their time and money buying them. The Stones did that in Barcelona last year. I had to show my passport.

Date: August 13, 2018 12:23

I remember Barcelona last year, and it was a nightmare. Ridiculous waiting times and checks.

Most gigs festivals that I have been to, I have benefited from cheap tickets through the scalpers.

Date: August 13, 2018 12:37

glimmertwinz
I remember Barcelona last year, and it was a nightmare. Ridiculous waiting times and checks.

Most gigs festivals that I have been to, I have benefited from cheap tickets through the scalpers.

I turned up early and it was fine. A bit slow, but with patience, fine.

Posted by: yorkshirestone ()
Date: August 13, 2018 12:42

Never paid more than face value on stub hub it serves its purpose for bagging cheap last minute tickets tho I object strongly to the industrial scale scalping it enables, so a bit conflicted really.

Date: August 13, 2018 12:46

straycatuk

I predict that more and more tickets will be wrapped up in expensive packages and VIP sections, especially with older acts who traditionally have wealthier audiences. The Stones and Macca been the most obvious ones. The ticket agencies and THE ARTISTS will just find another way to extract every last penny.

I'm either leaving it until a few days before or turning up tickeless on the day from now on. I did 10 shows on this summer's No Filter and only paid full price once for the section I was in .We well and truly turned over the resellers and it felt GOOD.

sc uk

Viagogo and Stubhub (owned by e-Bay) are continuing. I agree that those sites become useful at the last minute when prices fall off a cliff and the touts get screwed. Turning up ticketless on the day is a good ploy too. My best result was £100 into O2 (£326 face) Show 1 in 2012, albeit missing the start.

Macca's tickets are actually quite reasonably priced, so the touts have hoovered them all up.

I did 11 shows and paid full price a whole twice, the first GA Dublin at £70GBP (decent value) and Warsaw £158 for Gold Standing - great show but an absolute rip off for what it was as there was an outer pit as well as the normal pit. I lucky dipped all the rest.

If I go to the US, I'll either do dips again or turn up ticketless.

I don't think you'll ever stop ticket touting - it's been happening since time immemoria for all types of entertainment events and will always happen in one form or another. At most UK shows, notably at the London Stadium, I saw the touts buying up people's spares cash in hand outside the stadium and selling them on at a profit. I heard GAs got down as low as £20 each!

There's always e-Bay auctions too, where it's often possible to score some great bargains if you wait until the last minute. I've done that before.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-08-13 12:54 by grzegorz67.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: August 13, 2018 12:58

Neoliberals overhere are talking about entrepreneurship all the time. That everyone should be an entrepreneur. How good it is for the economy. I would be sad
to see such an industrious entrepreneurship as ticket scalping go. The free market in all its glory. What's the matter with you? Have you all become communists?

Date: August 13, 2018 13:04

Stoneage
Neoliberals overhere are talking about entrepreneurship all the time. That everyone should be an entrepreneur. How good it is for the economy. I would be sad
to see such an industrious entrepreneurship as ticket scalping go. The free market in all its glory. What's the matter with you? Have you all become communists?

There's entrepreneurship and there's being a parasite, providing no goods or services yourself but merely buying goods you're not interested in yourself (i.e. tickets) before the people who really want them can get hold of them and selling them on to said people at a vast profit whilst adding no value whatsoever. That is tantamount to barefaced theft - from both performer and audience members.

Producing goods and services yourself by your own honest sweat and selling them at a profit to a willing buyer is fine and good by me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-08-13 13:06 by grzegorz67.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: August 13, 2018 13:15

Okey, Grzegorz. But ticket scalping works like the stock market. You buy shares, holds on to them for a while and then sell them on. To either a gain or a loss. No one is complaining about the stock market...

Date: August 13, 2018 13:24

grzegorz67
glimmertwinz

My bladder almost exploded!!! lol

Date: August 13, 2018 13:28

Stoneage
Okey, Grzegorz. But ticket scalping works like the stock market. You buy shares, holds on to them for a while and then sell them on. To either a gain or a loss. No one is complaining about the stock market...

A ridiculous and invalid analogy. Everyone who buys and sells on the stockmarket is free to buy and sell at a time of their choosing, in trading hours.

By use of complex algorithms and other underhand tactics, the ticket touts are obstructing those who want to actually consume the service offered i.e. a concert. They are interfering and providing nothing of any value whatsoever themselves. Parasites.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-08-13 13:33 by grzegorz67.

Date: August 13, 2018 13:41

glimmertwinz
grzegorz67
glimmertwinz

There was a swimming pool down the road from the queue letting queueng fans use the toilet. Once inside, I went to the loo once and ran in and grabbed my spot at the end of the Catwalk. (in GC) No beer before the show or else my bladder would have exploded too sad smiley. 2 years ago, I got front row dead centre at a Macca concert in Belgium (Rock Werchter) and went 16 hours without a loo trip...

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: August 13, 2018 14:26

grzegorz67
Stoneage

A ridiculous and invalid analogy. Everyone who buys and sells on the stockmarket is free to buy and sell at a time of their choosing, in trading hours.

By use of complex algorithms and other underhand tactics, the ticket touts are obstructing those who want to actually consume the service offered i.e. a concert. They are interfering and providing nothing of any value whatsoever themselves. Parasites.

The laws of supply and demand ought to apply - except that the touts are artificially restricting the supply, by the use of various devices to obtain a lot of tickets which Joe Public never gets any opportunity to buy from the authorised seller at the original price. This, and not resale as such, is my real objection to industrial scale ticket-scalping.

Anyway, it looks as if Ticketmaster might have plans to do a bit more in-house scalping: see the description of the Platinum service and dynamic pricing in this article:

[www.theguardian.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-08-13 14:46 by Green Lady.

Posted by: exhpart ()
Date: August 13, 2018 17:09

grzegorz67
glimmertwinz
grzegorz67
glimmertwinz

There was a swimming pool down the road from the queue letting queueng fans use the toilet. Once inside, I went to the loo once and ran in and grabbed my spot at the end of the Catwalk. (in GC) No beer before the show or else my bladder would have exploded too sad smiley. 2 years ago, I got front row dead centre at a Macca concert in Belgium (Rock Werchter) and went 16 hours without a loo trip...

Don't think I'd do that for Macca lol ...maybe the Second Coming

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: August 13, 2018 17:10

Here's some tips:

a) Always scalp AT the stadium. Cash prices are always lower than credit prices (ie. Internet Venders/Scalpers)

b) Wait until you hear the opening riffs. Tickets "magically" drop to 1/2 their face value at this point.

unless you HAVE to be there for the opening song, this is always your best bet (if you want a "cheap(er)" ticket).

c) If Scalper Dude won't drop his price, walk away....he'll chase after you (especially if the concert has already started).

If you don't truly care about the opening song and/or whether you get into the show or not, you'll find you never get ripped off (and can often get a great deal).....your emotional "need" to see the show is what leads you to get ripped off.

If you are using StubHub or Viagogo or any other Internet (legalized) Scalping Service....expect to get ripped off. Full stop.

Date: August 13, 2018 17:15

paulywaul
grzegorz67
Hmmmm. Interesting:

[www.bbc.co.uk]

Same story here:

[www.independent.co.uk]

Anyway, two a**hole industrial scale scalping sites down, that leaves two to go (Stubhub and Viagogo) ..........

With luck it won't be long before they're history !!

Don't count on it and don't be fooled. Getting rid of these 2 sites is just a propaganda move to pretend they are doing something for the consumer, when in fact they are doing the opposite and actually increasing their ability to fix prices and gouge.

Getting rid of these 2 sites is just creating a Duopoly - which will be (is) far worse for the consumer.

Online Ticket Re-sale (ie. Legalized Scalping) is one of the biggest scams going and this is just another means to increase profit margins at fans' expense.

See my other post - only scalp AT the stadium and use cash-only.

Date: August 13, 2018 17:26

Stoneage

The Stock Market? Yeah...that's rigged too.

Date: August 13, 2018 18:46

straycatuk

sc uk

Of course if any profit motive is removed, then it also removes many opportunities to exploit the situation for bargains.

And I find it interesting in the article I read that fans can still sell their tickets thru resale at face or LESS than face when it's my experience that TM never allows you to undercut their own primary inventory, so if you are looking to get back anything, at a loss, you are forced to use secondary sites that have such exhorbitant fee structures that while you are losing $50 on a pair, the end user is still paying more than face.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-08-13 18:58 by Dan.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1112131415161718192021...LastNext
Current Page: 16 of 26

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1725
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home