Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 7 of 8
Re: Track Talk: She's So Cold
Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: April 28, 2019 18:42

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-04-29 00:35 by hopkins.

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: April 28, 2019 19:07

I do not pretend that SSC is something more than just a fun song with just power chords, the listener does not expect to hear jazz chords or adding bass notes to major chords. Its a great fun song simple for the most part is better and Keith always had the sound of how the guitars should sound. Take MR - using the capo at 7th fret in standard was the perfect choice and sounds perfect for Keith instead of playing the Barr chords etc. Keith used open tunings, and capos better then most guitar players of his generation and wrote and recycled some many riffs but to his credit he had a 20 year run before his ideas and just playing songs in the rock format reached its potential you can only write so many songs using suspended chords etc. But Keith can pickk up an old acoustic guitar and put a smile on your face. I would listen to Keith on acoustic today rather then see is guitar peers play electric these days.

Date: April 28, 2019 23:45

punkfloyd
Can we analyse that disaster? It seems like Keith started out OK, bu the rhythm section came in off beat and it took them for even to get synched up.

Bill's expression at 3:58 is priceless.

Elton John analysed it 50 years ago already by saying: "Many artists want to be perfect, but The Rolling Stones? They don't give a damn !! "

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-04-28 23:46 by TheflyingDutchman.

Date: April 29, 2019 08:25

I love Keith's lead fills on SSC. But the magic is within the overall sound of the track. The drums, the bass, Ronnie's mellow-sounding guitar and Keith's knife sharp clean sound. The guitars give perfect counter points.

I never noticed before the UMG remasters, but after the ..."when you're old...-part", When Keith's guitar disappears, an open G-guitar enters when Keith comes back in - leading to an increasing number of fills by Keith. A perfect crescendo.

Date: April 29, 2019 13:07

DandelionPowderman
I love Keith's lead fills on SSC. But the magic is within the overall sound of the track. The drums, the bass, Ronnie's mellow-sounding guitar and Keith's knife sharp clean sound. The guitars give perfect counter points.

I never noticed before the UMG remasters, but after the ..."when you're old...-part", When Keith's guitar disappears, an open G-guitar enters when Keith comes back in - leading to an increasing number of fills by Keith. A perfect crescendo.

I think this live version is completely different than the studio version, more distorion, there's more going on. The "mistake" in the beginning is fun, they should have kept that going foor at least a minute, a very odd intro.

Date: April 29, 2019 13:38

TheflyingDutchman
DandelionPowderman

I think this live version is completely different than the studio version, more distorion, there's more going on. The "mistake" in the beginning is fun, they should have kept that going foor at least a minute, a very odd intro.

You're talking about Wembley smiling smiley

The song became a different tune live, when Keith arranged it for open G. He plays it in standard today with even more distortion. I wish he would play the correct intro sometime..

She's So Cold (Edit)
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 26, 2020 18:24

9-22-1980

Re: She's So Cold (Edit)
Posted by: wiredallnight ()
Date: September 26, 2020 20:09

a goddamn clean edit...

Date: September 26, 2020 21:21

Radio Disney version haha thanks for sharing

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 26, 2020 21:26

She was beautiful though!

Date: September 27, 2020 03:28

When I listened to it, I had to go figure out where the edit was. Great edit. This song is one of my faves, it's stellar. 40 years ago this week, I thought its own thread might be cool.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: September 27, 2020 05:57

If she is so cold, maybe try dating a different girl?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-09-27 06:51 by Chris Fountain.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: September 27, 2020 10:44

GasLightStreet
9-22-1980

I love this song...edit or not!!!

Posted by: Lynd8 ()
Date: September 27, 2020 13:33

Normally I like hot women better, but when it comes to the Stones, I like "She's So Cold" better than "She was Hot". grinning smiley

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: September 27, 2020 14:21

They played this song at Boston 2 2014 I was there.

Date: September 27, 2020 15:32

GasLightStreet
When I listened to it, I had to go figure out where the edit was. Great edit. This song is one of my faves, it's stellar. 40 years ago this week, I thought its own thread might be cool.

WHOA! 40 years, thanks for the reminder Skippy. The week I became a lifelong fan! I heard it on an AM Station on my clock radio and the rest is history.

Date: September 27, 2020 19:04

treaclefingers
GasLightStreet

WHOA! 40 years, thanks for the reminder Skippy. The week I became a lifelong fan! I heard it on an AM Station on my clock radio and the rest is history.

It cracks me up to think that I was 10 years old when this song came out.

Date: October 2, 2020 15:19

GasLightStreet
treaclefingers
GasLightStreet

You turn, or have turned 50 this year...Happy half century!

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: October 2, 2020 16:09

It was on the radio in the fall of 1980 - the last time my beloved Georgia Bulldogs won the national championship......sad smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-10-02 16:09 by Elmo Lewis.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: October 2, 2020 19:25

I love this tune . Great sharp guiatrs and Mick really fires this tune . Keith twangy guitar is da bomb -it's so good, and Ronnie's Steel guitar is so delicious and killer Bass from Bill and ditto for Charlie !!!!! Some could say that Charlies drums are understated but in a way Chartlie is driving the bus on this one taking them all on the ride together .

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-10-02 19:38 by TheGreek.

Date: October 2, 2020 22:31

treaclefingers
GasLightStreet
treaclefingers
GasLightStreet

I did. The next day... well, let's just say that, COVID aside, it's been a really shitty year.

Date: October 3, 2020 16:52

GasLightStreet
treaclefingers
GasLightStreet
treaclefingers
GasLightStreet

I did. The next day... well, let's just say that, COVID aside, it's been a really shitty year.

Sorry to hear that. Let's hope that we've 'bottomed out' and we're all about to head on a major upswing.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: October 3, 2020 17:57

GasLightStreet
treaclefingers
GasLightStreet

I was 30 and could relate. Guitars are so excellent.

Posted by: drwatts ()
Date: October 3, 2020 18:04

TheGreek
I love this tune . Great sharp guiatrs and Mick really fires this tune . Keith twangy guitar is da bomb -it's so good, and Ronnie's Steel guitar is so delicious and killer Bass from Bill and ditto for Charlie !!!!! Some could say that Charlie's drums are understated but in a way Chartlie is driving the bus on this one taking them all on the ride together .
I've said it before. Don't mind saying it again, Charlie is the star of this fine lp. His drumming is sheer perfection. And not a click track in site!

Date: October 4, 2020 00:41

This song sums up the perfection of the sound they got on this album. It's simply awesome.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 4, 2020 00:54

She should go ta Room 21 ... the heater is always on

ROCKMAN

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: October 4, 2020 01:59

This is one of my favorite Stones songs, really showed me they still had it even on a "singles" level. And Charlie's drums are great, he and Bill as a rhythm section were outstanding.

I remain dubious about "edits", though.

jb

Date: October 4, 2020 05:32

.... they've snipped goddamn ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: October 4, 2020 08:55

Oh I didn't mean I didn't think there was an edit, I just don't like edited versions for much of any reason.

jb

Date: October 4, 2020 09:08

Yeah ...same here .... That old hack
job smother to that classic last track on
Goats Head is just pure goody goody apple pie stuff .....

ROCKMAN

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 7 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1812
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home