Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 6 of 8
Re: Track Talk: She's So Cold
Posted by: matxil ()
Date: April 24, 2019 13:10

DandelionPowderman

Hopkins, that's a great description of one of the reasons we love the Stones (and Keith) so much, methinks.

Everybody can play it, but no one can play it like that. Lots of people don't understand this. Brilliant! thumbs up

thumbs up

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: April 25, 2019 04:44

The beauty of the guitaring in this song is its simplicity, restraint and taste - one of their finest songs, especially considering the guitar work, which is as intimate as Monkey Man, Think I'm Going Mad, Moonlight Mile, Slave, Worried About You and Let It Bleed, just to name a few.

Date: April 25, 2019 20:49

GasLightStreet
The beauty of the guitaring in this song is its simplicity, restraint and taste - one of their finest songs, especially considering the guitar work, which is as intimate as Monkey Man, Think I'm Going Mad, Moonlight Mile, Slave, Worried About You and Let It Bleed, just to name a few.

Frankly I don't hear any resemblance between the guitaring on Moonlight Mile and She's So Cold.

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: April 25, 2019 21:08

Moonlight Mile has MT's magic and Jagger's vocal amazing. The outro looping solo.
Keith's guitar is missing and thus the rolling stone guitar sound is absent.

Date: April 25, 2019 21:33

Track Talk: She's So Cold new
Posted by: DandelionPowderman ()
Date: April 24, 2019 11:05

<i mean it's almost nothing of a guitar section part yet it's spectacularly driving; you couldn't have got a more crisp rhythm guitar sound or groove>

Hopkins, that's a great description of one of the reasons we love the Stones (and Keith) so much, methinks.

Everybody can play it, but no one can play it like that. Lots of people don't understand this. Brilliant!

Keith Richards on Guitar Moves -

[www.youtube.com]

Keith's saying its all rhythm and in the right hand was so profound to me - Most do not understand without the right hand you have little. If you would make the perfect guitar player you would want Keith's Right Hand and you have so many players you had the left hand.(Assuming you are right handed.).

Another example of less is better and feel and when to play and not play is on
Worried About You.

Date: April 25, 2019 21:56

OpenG
Moonlight Mile has MT's magic and Jagger's vocal amazing. The outro looping solo.
Keith's guitar is missing and thus the rolling stone guitar sound is absent.

It has Jagger's guitar in open G if I'm not mistaken, which represents the Rolling Stones guitar sound . At least I wouldn't notice the difference if I hadn't been told It's Jagger playing and not Keith.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-04-25 21:57 by TheflyingDutchman.

Date: April 25, 2019 21:58

TheflyingDutchman
GasLightStreet

Frankly I don't hear any resemblance between the guitaring on Moonlight Mile and She's So Cold.

Maybe because they aren't the same song?

Date: April 25, 2019 22:03

GasLightStreet
TheflyingDutchman
GasLightStreet

No, because the guitarring on she's so cold is more minimalistic and imo more sterile, not the least because of the 8-tees measa boogie sound.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-04-25 22:07 by TheflyingDutchman.

Date: April 26, 2019 02:29

The guitar sounds on She's So Cold yet alone SOME GIRLS-DIRTY WORK are sterile in the aspect of them being clean.

The point that was missed is the guitar playing in She's So Cold, the minimal aspect of it, is also well represented on the tracks I mentioned, not that any of them sound the same or have the same tone.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: April 26, 2019 11:31

Anybody can cover their arse behind a saturated, distorted guitar sound ...

...It's creating sublime Rock N Roll with those clean to edge of breakup guitar sounds that sorts the men from the boys. grinning smiley

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: April 26, 2019 13:28

Live, when it works, it's one of their best.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: April 26, 2019 13:40

Spud

Indeed.

Date: April 26, 2019 13:48

Spud

My point exactly. To my ears the clean sound doesn't cover their arse. But maybe I'm a bit spoiled indeed.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: April 26, 2019 13:53

I played the studio cut just last night, from the new Abbey Road re-master set.
The guitars on this track sound especially good to me ...and it's certainly my kind of guitar playing .

Date: April 26, 2019 14:52

Spud

...It's creating sublime Rock N Roll with those clean to edge of breakup guitar sounds that sorts the men from the boys. grinning smiley

Very good point; and IMO that is the crux of the Stones sound. And why so many other acts who try to sound Stonesy don't get it right. They play too fast; too loud; too distorted.
The Stones are a R&B, Country band.
Stones hardcores know all this. Listening to outtakes will teach you a lot. Hearing the early stirrings of "All Down the Line"; or "Honky Tonk Woman" w/o Taylor. A lot of Keith's genius in those days was recognizing the magic in those sparse basic tracks; and hearing the final version in his head already. "Gimme Shelter" is sooo slow. You speed it up, and the power is gone.
For that matter 'Start me Up"...the one time the band was out-keefed by a student.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 26, 2019 16:02

the beginning of my indoctrination...

Date: April 26, 2019 16:19

As long as all this "clean re-inventing the wheel" doesn't trash the Jones and Taylor Years, it's fine with me. smoking smiley

Date: April 26, 2019 16:25

Palace Revolution 2000

The Stones are a R&B, Country band...

They are, or should say were much more than that.

tongue sticking out smiley

Date: April 26, 2019 19:53

: Track Talk: She's So Cold new
Posted by: Palace Revolution 2000 ()
Date: April 26, 2019 14:52

Spud

...It's creating sublime Rock N Roll with those clean to edge of breakup guitar sounds that sorts the men from the boys.

Very good point; and IMO that is the crux of the Stones sound. And why so many other acts who try to sound Stonesy don't get it right. They play too fast; too loud; too distorted.
The Stones are a R&B, Country band.
Stones hardcores know all this. Listening to outtakes will teach you a lot. Hearing the early stirrings of "All Down the Line"; or "Honky Tonk Woman" w/o Taylor. A lot of Keith's genius in those days was recognizing the magic in those sparse basic tracks; and hearing the final version in his head already. "Gimme Shelter" is sooo slow. You speed it up, and the power is gone.
For that matter 'Start me Up"...the one time the band was out-keefed by a student.

Good point on those early signature songs - I was hooked early on when I discovered the stones in the eraly 70's- Keith's basic acoustic guitar on the intro for YCAGWYW sounds perfect - he is and was just perfect on acoustic guitar and as we all know many of the early songs the music and arrangements started on acoustic guitar.

Date: April 28, 2019 11:16

TheflyingDutchman
GasLightStreet
TheflyingDutchman
GasLightStreet

No, because the guitarring on she's so cold is more minimalistic and imo more sterile, not the least because of the 8-tees measa boogie sound.

I'm sure you meant 70s mesa-sound (it's the Mark I). Santana had it by 1975 already.

Date: April 28, 2019 13:04

DandelionPowderman
TheflyingDutchman
GasLightStreet
TheflyingDutchman
GasLightStreet

I'm sure you meant 70s mesa-sound (it's the Mark I). Santana had it by 1975 already.

You may be absolutely right DP, the MK1, but it had a clean channel I assume ?

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: April 28, 2019 13:35

does anyone have that clip where they slaughter it live? it almost fell apart. 1982 european tour. it's really funny to watch and interesting how they find their way back in. cant find it on youtube anymore somehow.

Date: April 28, 2019 13:58

guitarbastard
does anyone have that clip where they slaughter it live? it almost fell apart. 1982 european tour. it's really funny to watch and interesting how they find their way back in. cant find it on youtube anymore somehow.

Wembley 1982. It's on Youtube smiling smiley

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: April 28, 2019 16:49

Here it is (see above), enjoy: [www.youtube.com]

Date: April 28, 2019 16:56

A glorious clusterfuck. hot smiley grinning smiley

Date: April 28, 2019 17:03

The joys of live music. thumbs up

Posted by: punkfloyd ()
Date: April 28, 2019 17:08

Can we analyse that disaster? It seems like Keith started out OK, bu the rhythm section came in off beat and it took them for even to get synched up.

Bill's expression at 3:58 is priceless.

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: April 28, 2019 17:40

Stoneage
Here it is (see above), enjoy: [www.youtube.com]

6:52

Is he heading for the parking lot?

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: April 28, 2019 17:43

She so Cold is a song that sounds good but is really not a good song at all. It is like Start Me Up. Songs like this are like Pop Hits. You like them for a few months and then get tired of them because there is really nothing to them. They cannot play a good version like because it's only real quality is it was recorded so well in the first place.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: April 28, 2019 18:38

ahm so hott fuh huh ahm so hott fuh huh ahm so hott fuh hurrr
bleeedin' volcaaaannnnnnnnooohhhhh
you got the bitch puttt yo haanndds on the heat heat heat heat

ahm so hott 4 huh hott jottttnjostsassxaaszxdtgsae4

hops likie

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-04-28 18:38 by hopkins.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 6 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1626
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home