Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 5 of 8
Re: Track Talk: She's So Cold
Date: September 6, 2015 15:30

Keith wrote the verses on Ruby Tuesday, and probably on loads of tunes from the 60s. Then "something" happened in the early 70s, probably the drug haze.

Between Happy and BTMMR Keith didn't write a whole song, according to Mick.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: September 6, 2015 16:47

From what I remember there is a lot of speculation that Brian wrote a lot of Ruby Tuesday. . .

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: September 6, 2015 16:51

DandelionPowderman
Keith wrote the verses on Ruby Tuesday, and probably on loads of tunes from the 60s. Then "something" happened in the early 70s, probably the drug haze.

Interesting. Thanks for the correction.

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: September 6, 2015 17:00

LongBeachArena72
Turner68
DandelionPowderman
Not Stones by numbers, because it's so different.

agreed!
if mick had just taken more time with the lyrics, it could have been a classic song.

I'm curious about something: how do people know which songs Mick wrote the lyrics for? Did he write the lyrics for everything he sang, but not for the tracks Keith was on lead vox? Did he write the lyrics only on those songs which are "his," i.e., that he brought to the band, while Keith wrote the lyrics for those songs that he brought to the band? Is there a compendium anywhere which lists who wrote what or is this just kind of understood?

There seems to often be a fair amt of certainty on this topic (who wrote what) which honestly mystifies me.

I would love to see a thread where its discussed what part songs were written by whom. The problem would be way too many would just through stuff out there and claim to know things they don't know. I am sure accuracy wouldn't matter to many.

Date: September 6, 2015 17:02

"It was probably written about Linda Keith not being there (laughs). I don't know, she had pissed off somewhere. It was very mournful, very, VERY Ruby Tuesday and it was a Tuesday".

- Keith Richards, 2003

"Ruby Tuesday is good. I think that's a wonderful song. It's just a nice melody, really. And a lovely lyric. Neither of which I wrote, but I always enjoy singing it".

- Mick Jagger, 1995

quote=Turner68]
DandelionPowderman

Interesting. Thanks for the correction.[/quote]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-06 17:04 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: September 6, 2015 17:20

The only other recording from the Emotional Rescue album that I like.

Number of guitars on 'She's So Cold'?
Posted by: sbetz ()
Date: January 7, 2019 22:03

Always kinda liked this rocker but have had a tough time separating the guitars. Sounds like 3 to me - Keith probably doing an overdub but not positive. Anyone know for sure?

Thanks,
Steve

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-07 22:05 by bv.

Re: Number of guitars on 'She's So Cold'?
Posted by: audun-eg ()
Date: January 8, 2019 00:22

3 guitartracks. 2 main rhythm parts separated in each channel. A third «lead» track comes in centered at the two brakes. Sounds like all played by Keith.

Ronnie is listed both on guitar and pedal steel, but if so, it`s removed from the final mix. I for sure can`t here him.

[www.reverbnation.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-08 00:27 by audun-eg.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: January 8, 2019 11:39

audun-eg
3 guitartracks. 2 main rhythm parts separated in each channel. A third «lead» track comes in centered at the two brakes. Sounds like all played by Keith.

Ronnie is listed both on guitar and pedal steel, but if so, it`s removed from the final mix. I for sure can`t here him.

Wood plays a rhythm track, a slide track, a solo track and there's a pedal steel in the back. Richards plays the main track which is edited down from umpteen tracks no doubt.

Mathijs

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: January 8, 2019 12:24

The mixing desk has always been where the real "guitar weaving" goes on grinning smiley

Just one of the things I love about this band on record.

Sometimes two guitars sound like five... other times five guitars sound like two ...and its huge fun trying to figure it all out.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-08 12:25 by Spud.

Date: January 8, 2019 14:15

I hear around 5 or 6

Posted by: glimmerman ()
Date: January 8, 2019 22:01

Seriously wonderful weaving on this one. At the Danceteria album debut party, I asked Keith if that third guitar in was a five-string (since 5 strings were usually the opening heavy-lifters). He said "yeah, there's a lot on that one".

Date: January 9, 2019 01:51

I hear 2. Keith sounds like he's in standard and Ron sounds like he's in open g. Keith is playing the main riff and Ron is playing slide and doing some additional strumming. Ron also plays pedal steel in the song. If you listen to the stereo channeling you'll hear that it really is only 2 guitars that are weaving in and out of each other perfectly.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: January 9, 2019 02:16

You hear two guitars: standard-tuning main riff, Open-G rhythm, slide, and pedal steel. Got it.

Date: January 9, 2019 14:54

I say it is 5. The two main guitars, the two slides (pedal and slide) come in for solo, and at end, around 3:50 another straight one comes in. Not sure why several posts say "there are two guitars", and then go on to list 4 of them
But to be honest; in my earlier post I was thinking about "Eileen"; got the two songs confused.

Posted by: audun-eg ()
Date: January 9, 2019 17:37

Mathijs
audun-eg

Wood plays a rhythm track, a slide track, a solo track and there's a pedal steel in the back. Richards plays the main track which is edited down from umpteen tracks no doubt.

Mathijs
Are you sure the slidetrack is Ronnie? Does sound more like Keiths way of playing slide than Ron.

[www.reverbnation.com]

Posted by: jahisnotdead ()
Date: April 16, 2019 03:52

She's So Cold is one of my all-time favorite Stones tracks. I get such energy from the fast songs on Emotional Rescue. I love the intense, chugging rhythm of this song.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: April 16, 2019 06:45

I don't hear any open G on this one. The intro is in standard. The slide is all over the place, not sure how people can't hear it.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: April 16, 2019 12:18

GasLightStreet
I don't hear any open G on this one. The intro is in standard. The slide is all over the place, not sure how people can't hear it.

Although I live in Florida - I caught the 2014 show in Boston TDA Arena Friday Night. they Played night before on Thurs as well

She's so Cold was played at concert attended. It as strange as they really wanted to get that song right. They pulled it off.

Open G? Then we listen to GYYOO or even EOMS - I am not a musician but I love music.

This whole Open G talk where e and when did this start? I like the more course chord sound. It' s just a preference.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: April 18, 2019 19:52

Chris Fountain
GasLightStreet

Although I live in Florida - I caught the 2014 show in Boston TDA Arena Friday Night. they Played night before on Thurs as well

She's so Cold was played at concert attended. It as strange as they really wanted to get that song right. They pulled it off.

Open G? Then we listen to GYYOO or even EOMS - I am not a musician but I love music.

This whole Open G talk where e and when did this start? I like the more course chord sound. It' s just a preference.

I don't understand what you're asking about nor does that make much sense.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: April 21, 2019 04:53

I love ice cream.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 21, 2019 05:31

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: April 21, 2019 12:00

As mentioned there may be some confusion with respect to "She's so Cold" But damnit- Pistachio Ice Cream Rocks!!!!

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: April 21, 2019 13:05

Live, Leeds, 1982: [www.youtube.com]
Live, Austin, 2006: [www.youtube.com]
live, Hampton, 1981: [www.youtube.com]
Official promo video: [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: April 21, 2019 22:35

Chris Fountain
As mentioned there may be some confusion with respect to "She's so Cold" But damnit- Pistachio Ice Cream Rocks!!!!

Agreed. Especially pistachio flavored spumoni (Italian ice cream)

Posted by: jp.M ()
Date: April 21, 2019 23:12

...Austin Texas 1982 is for me their greatest Live Video...( even if there are some little rerecordings....!!)

Posted by: Spodlumt ()
Date: April 22, 2019 02:21

Is this video the only time Charlie Watts has used two rack toms as opposed to his usual four piece drum set? Also - is it just me or did he wear the same shirt every night on the 1981 tour? What a character....

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: April 22, 2019 03:48

love it; the guitars are so excellent. everything is.
i like to make fun of them runnng out of material
she's so cold, she was hot; i'm just sure she's lukewarm in a swarm or sumthing...
but i love it; i don't have a critique about any of it; production or anything,
but i don't have criticism of this one that wouldn't be positive and appreciative...

as an aside, cuz hops, i more and more enjoy The Stones without videos.
for me it's a personal thing; i love their personalities and have gone
and and on and on and on and on and on about each of them,
and chuck,
whoa stop me...

he's not a Stone you know...
wtf, you have Tim's autograph and BRAG about it! kidding...sorrta...
...just for fun; i'm thinking only of Mick's health just for fun;
tho he'll probably be doing the boogaloo when I've morphed into a VERY
heavy cannabis plant. your welcome future generations....

anyway; i love the splash and making fun of the outfits; and tryig to style
myself more like charles Good Will Here I come...
...but

i want to Listen to music...
if a band or singer puts up a still or two i'd more likely to go back to That
version unless it's spectacularly fun and engaging video , and that's personal too;

i mean, even on stuff I've tried to help others with,
and they were very comfortable performers making good records;
hot records; but still
i'll listen to Hard Drivin Man by J. Geils in the studio version
with just the Cover of the LP on the video, rather than a good live version
and Peter Wolf is an Amazing, Amazing natural funky and powerfully engaging Front man; to this day, most likely.

but for me seeing Mick blowing smoke out of his mouth; well, it's a cheap thrill i guess;
i don't hate it or anything; but it's sorta like a dam beetle cartoon;
they had a cheesy The Beatles cartoon show with very bad accents and all that....very bad art;
but the caricatures were very distinct and solid....

and that's what I did when I listen to this one; and i really like this one and some others of that era Very much...
i saw the dated DW type hot pastel clothes and all that.
god i had a print on one of my sports jackets I'm still ashamed of...
i mean keith would wear it on stage; and it wasn't as loud as most at the time;
but it was cheesy....
lol same with She was Hot; it's a good song done well but the cartoon show doesn't interest me much.

and i really Love this one. like a tombstonnne; i mean it's great rhythm guitar thing that is so very very cool; those guitars are silvery chunkfest.
they are precise but loose somehow; we all go on and on about 'swing' or whatever.
i mean it's almost nothing of a guitar section part yet it's spectacularly driving; you couldn't have got a more crisp rhythm guitar sound or groove
out of Nashville maybe; i mean it's a funky sound but it rock and rolls...
i mean it's world class great at this point imo,
they take a pretty much 'not much of a song per se' and just Kill it with groove and tude.
regardless the lack of 'heaviness' of a sftd type 'profound' lyric (it IS profound!)....
it's what they do; it's great. the vocal is great; it's great.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-04-22 03:54 by hopkins.

Date: April 24, 2019 11:05

<i mean it's almost nothing of a guitar section part yet it's spectacularly driving; you couldn't have got a more crisp rhythm guitar sound or groove>

Hopkins, that's a great description of one of the reasons we love the Stones (and Keith) so much, methinks.

Everybody can play it, but no one can play it like that. Lots of people don't understand this. Brilliant! thumbs up

Date: April 24, 2019 11:17

Glad to see you here man! smiling smiley

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 5 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1995
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home