Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 4 of 8
Re: Track Talk: She's So Cold
Date: February 25, 2015 09:18

Naturalust
DandelionPowderman
Yeah, but did he play on this track?

I doubt it. The track is sparse enough to hear all the parts and I sure don't hear any additional percussion. peace

That's what I thought as well.

Posted by: umakmehrd ()
Date: February 25, 2015 19:20

Yes a classic indeed - kinda the story of "life as men"....

Posted by: Pete66 ()
Date: February 25, 2015 21:01

Killer intro, great song, fun video. From the great 1978-81 years in which they released 3 terrific albums and zillions of outtakes, most of which are probably better than their official releases since 1981.

Somehow when played live, She's so cold is just too fast for my taste. Same with Shattered and Let me go from these years. Always liked the studio version much better than the live ones.

Pete.

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: February 25, 2015 22:23

Pete66
Killer intro, great song, fun video. From the great 1978-81 years in which they released 3 terrific albums and zillions of outtakes, most of which are probably better than their official releases since 1981.

Somehow when played live, She's so cold is just too fast for my taste. Same with Shattered and Let me go from these years. Always liked the studio version much better than the live ones.

Pete.

This is probably one of my all-time favorite videos. It's lipsynched, but they look like they're having so much fun. Its got a great energy and pop, and just adds to the song's feel.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 25, 2015 23:08

Perhaps it was recorded but it sure sounds like it wasn't used.

Date: February 25, 2015 23:10

GasLightStreet

If Keith and Ronnie recorded what they "played" in that video, it would be the weirdest recording ever...

Date: February 25, 2015 23:14

DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet

If Keith and Ronnie recorded what they "played" in that video, it would be the weirdest recording ever...

HA! Yeah! Look at all of those 1978-1983 videos! Not anyone playing anything remotely close to what's actually played! ESPECIALLY the TATTOO YOU video singles! Brilliantly horribly awesome!

Date: February 25, 2015 23:16

Indeed! >grinning smiley<

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 25, 2015 23:26

...The Stones have never took any of their videos seriously ...
There's always been an underlying touch of humour...But hey that's life ain't it ?? ...231 ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: March 3, 2015 16:01

I love this song but have never seen it performed live in 21 lifetime shows ! I've missed it by one gig 3 times since it returned to the set in 2005.

In 2006 I was in Cardiff (it was played 2 days earlier in my native Glasgow)

In 2007 I was in Paris (it was played 2 days later in Lyon)

and last year I was in Sweden (it was played 2 days later in Roskilde)

angry smiley

My favourite ever version was the rough, dirty, riffy version from Hampton, 1981. Probably not very good playing technically (as a guitarist what do you think [if you've heard it] DP?) but there's something I love about the rawness of it, especially the bridge. Mick's vocals are a bit shouty too.

Date: March 4, 2015 17:47

Why wasn't this track included on REWIND, JUMP BACK or FORTY LICKS when something... lesser or considerably worse was (Fool To Cry, Respectable, Rock And A Hard Place, You Got Me Rocking, Stealing My Heart, Keys To Your Love)? It only made the 80 track version of THE SIMIAN MISTAKE.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: September 5, 2015 07:08

Musically it's great straight ahead rock-n-roll... i wouldn't even call it stones by numbers because it's got this great feel that i don't recall them having before.

Lyrically, though... I think this is the bands' declaration that they intend to not be relevant any more. It's hard to believe that the same group that recorded "sympathy for the devil", "gimme shelter", "let it bleed", and "torn and frayed" recorded a song with these lyrics.... unless you go back to IORR and "short and curlies" and think "oh yeah, i forgot, they kind of gave up on themselves"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-05 07:10 by Turner68.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 5, 2015 08:39

Turner68
Musically it's great straight ahead rock-n-roll... i wouldn't even call it stones by numbers because it's got this great feel that i don't recall them having before.

Lyrically, though... I think this is the bands' declaration that they intend to not be relevant any more. It's hard to believe that the same group that recorded "sympathy for the devil", "gimme shelter", "let it bleed", and "torn and frayed" recorded a song with these lyrics.... unless you go back to IORR and "short and curlies" and think "oh yeah, i forgot, they kind of gave up on themselves"

Yes indeed...lyrically they're just having fun and I think you can allow that. The performance on that cut is just so good. Just love the guitars.

Posted by: Moonshine ()
Date: September 5, 2015 08:39

This and the great All About You the 2 gems off ER, brilliant vid with MJ camping it up.
Gotta agree with Turner re the lyrics though. Think he was just tossing them off by this stage.
That said, the whole band sound great on She's So Cold. Love playing this in the car, turned up to the max of course.

Posted by: Tops ()
Date: September 5, 2015 09:25

GasLightStreet
Why wasn't this track included on REWIND, JUMP BACK or FORTY LICKS when something... lesser or considerably worse was (Fool To Cry, Respectable, Rock And A Hard Place, You Got Me Rocking, Stealing My Heart, Keys To Your Love)?

Agree. It's a bit sad. Should have been included. It's time for the mainstreamaudience to hear this great song.

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: September 5, 2015 11:58

GasLightStreet
Why wasn't this track included on REWIND, JUMP BACK or FORTY LICKS when something... lesser or considerably worse was (Fool To Cry, Respectable, Rock And A Hard Place, You Got Me Rocking, Stealing My Heart, Keys To Your Love)? It only made the 80 track version of THE SIMIAN MISTAKE.

I have never understood the preference to this track. Yes, it's a fine rocker but so is a lot else. To compare it to their finest achievements is beyond my understanding. I have seen them perform it once, in Roskilde in 2014, and it was among those tracks were it was clear they would just rush through it and get along. Keith looked bored and Mick rushed through the lyrics.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: September 5, 2015 12:09

Blueranger
GasLightStreet

I have never understood the preference to this track. Yes, it's a fine rocker but so is a lot else. To compare it to their finest achievements is beyond my understanding. I have seen them perform it once, in Roskilde in 2014, and it was among those tracks were it was clear they would just rush through it and get along. Keith looked bored and Mick rushed through the lyrics.

Yup- "boring" clearly defines this song. I had to experience this song in Orlando. The setlist of this tour is still disturbing.

Posted by: iamwaiting ()
Date: September 5, 2015 15:23

My whole family sat in our living room around the stereo waiting for WLUP in Chicago to play the whole Emotional Rescue album the day it was released. We had always liked the Stones, but they became #1 after Some Girls. I'll never forget hearing She's So Cold for the first time. An amazing riff with great tone and delay. Charlie's perfect use of a Chinese cymbal, Bill's bum bum bum bum bass line, Ronnie's slide, Mick's low harmonies. Such a crazy fun song. Makes me happy every time I hear it, especially on the radio.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: September 5, 2015 16:02

First heard it in a shopping center while strolling along a row of refrigerators... back then I didnt know its the Stones, but the song stuck in my mind.
There are better ones, but it is very pleasurable. Certainly the best rocker on ER.

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: September 5, 2015 17:13

HMS
First heard it in a shopping center while strolling along a row of refrigerators...

How apropos!

Drew

Date: September 5, 2015 17:52

Not Stones by numbers, because it's so different.

Date: September 5, 2015 18:09

DandelionPowderman

agreed!
if mick had just taken more time with the lyrics, it could have been a classic song.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 6, 2015 01:50

Turner68
DandelionPowderman

agreed!
if mick had just taken more time with the lyrics, it could have been a classic song.

Better lyrics? Not sure it would have been worth it. The song is a vibe and a performance and it absolutely kills. I think better lyrics are fine but they would have been lost. Besides, they're funny and clever.

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: September 6, 2015 02:49

Turner68
DandelionPowderman

agreed!

I'm curious about something: how do people know which songs Mick wrote the lyrics for? Did he write the lyrics for everything he sang, but not for the tracks Keith was on lead vox? Did he write the lyrics only on those songs which are "his," i.e., that he brought to the band, while Keith wrote the lyrics for those songs that he brought to the band? Is there a compendium anywhere which lists who wrote what or is this just kind of understood?

There seems to often be a fair amt of certainty on this topic (who wrote what) which honestly mystifies me.

Posted by: OldSoul ()
Date: September 6, 2015 05:02

I thought, except for rare instances, Keith wrote the melodies and Mick wrote the lyrics. Not true?

The sunshine bores the daylights out of me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-06 05:03 by OldSoul.

Posted by: Chester ()
Date: September 6, 2015 05:11

Love this song. Remember hearing it for the first time on my clock radio when it first came out - KQ92 in Minneapolis. Took my 8-year-old daughter to Orlando show in June and we both heard it live there. That's truly mind-boggling to me. Wonder if Orlando is the last time they ever play it together, or if they'll dust it off again.

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: September 6, 2015 06:07

OldSoul
I thought, except for rare instances, Keith wrote the melodies and Mick wrote the lyrics. Not true?

According to many people on this board Mick writes a lot of songs essentially by himself. Apparently Keith does the same. They bring their songs to the studio where the band hashes them out. I was just just wondering why it was possible to say with such certainty, for example, that Mick wrote the lyrics for "She's So Cold."

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: September 6, 2015 06:08

OMG, the clock radio! I had a transistor radio powered by a single 9 volt battery pressed to my ear as a young kid listening to the radio station.

Thanks for sharing good memories. I first heard She's So Cold in a friend's basement in MN (it was an EM LP!) about age 10 I think- Oh we were dancing!
In the car's great too, pounding the steering wheel to the line: SO GODDAMNN COLD she's so cooooooldddd

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-06 06:09 by 35love.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: September 6, 2015 06:38

And c'mon now this is fun, 14 on Fire rehearsal She's So Cold
[youtu.be]

Date: September 6, 2015 07:13

LongBeachArena72
OldSoul

According to many people on this board Mick writes a lot of songs essentially by himself. Apparently Keith does the same. They bring their songs to the studio where the band hashes them out. I was just just wondering why it was possible to say with such certainty, for example, that Mick wrote the lyrics for "She's So Cold."

I think that (each separately) is how it is understood to have happened after wwiii.
In the golden era many songs are described as Keith having come up with an initial
Sketch of the music and mumbled incoherent lyrics and maybe a chorus. This is specifically how satisfaction and wild horses are described - he wrote the music and the chorus. I actually can't think of any pre-wwiii song that mick sings where it's understood that Keith wrote the verses. Eg although "beast of burden" is a "Keith song" I would be shocked if mick didn't write most of the lyrics outside of the chorus.

Of course we don't have great information about such things and even what the principals say can be suspect.

I take the Keith version of "soul survivor" to be an interesting example of what Keith does with a song prior to mick coming in and doing the lyrics and vocals, worth checking out.

I think it's well understood that mick sings lyrics he is comfortable with
However if you think anyone on here is "absolutely certain" about exactly what happened in a studio 35 years ago you might be reading more into their words than is intended.

Edited 8 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-06 07:22 by Turner68.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 4 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1675
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home