Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 3 of 8
Re: Track Talk: She's So Cold
Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: February 22, 2015 05:32

treaclefingers
stupidguy2
I've always believed this album remains underrated by many older fans...
which always struck me as cynical.
From the posts here, ER, and SG, were seminal for a whole generation of us coming of age in 1979-80....
It was my punk rock.

It was the first Stones album I got into. When I first heard Emotional Rescue, I didn't even like the song. So when SSC blew my mind, I just bought the 45. But then I liked the flip side, and I think I heard Where the Boys Go on the radio, so I took a flyer and bought the album (that and Billy Joel Glass Houses the same day).

Since then, I've bought every stones album in every configuration possible, many duplicates in sealed condition, every box set, and every single 45, UK and US, all many times over.

I also have purchased a Billy Joel double greatest hits CD.

Ha, not the same day for me, but I did also get Glass Houses, on 8-track. I got into Billy Joel a bit but got bored with him quick. He never had the staying power for me that the Stones did. I actually never listen to him anymore. I don't think I've played a Billy Joel track in the past 20 years.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: February 22, 2015 06:21

LeonidP
treaclefingers
stupidguy2
From the posts here, ER, and SG, were seminal for a whole generation of us coming of age in 1979-80....
It was my punk rock.

It was the first Stones album I got into. When I first heard Emotional Rescue, I didn't even like the song. So when SSC blew my mind, I just bought the 45. But then I liked the flip side, and I think I heard Where the Boys Go on the radio, so I took a flyer and bought the album (that and Billy Joel Glass Houses the same day).

Since then, I've bought every stones album in every configuration possible, many duplicates in sealed condition, every box set, and every single 45, UK and US, all many times over.

Ha, not the same day for me, but I did also get Glass Houses, on 8-track. I got into Billy Joel a bit but got bored with him quick. He never had the staying power for me that the Stones did. I actually never listen to him anymore. I don't think I've played a Billy Joel track in the past 20 years.

Not the well known songs. But they're some less famous are kind of interesting, like 'Billy the Kid'.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: February 22, 2015 07:24

24FPS
LeonidP
treaclefingers
stupidguy2
It was my punk rock.

Not the well known songs. But they're some less famous are kind of interesting, like 'Billy the Kid'.

I may be wrong but I get the feeling treacle was being humorous when mentioning Billy Joel. It made me laugh anyway. peace

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: February 22, 2015 08:06

LeonidP
stupidguy2
LeonidP
Emotional Rescue was the first 'new' Stones album that I ever experienced .... (I bought Some Girls after seeing them on SNL). A local radio station was playing the entire album about a week before being released. I remember sleeping at a friends house just to stay up and listen to the debut. We were sitting there taking in all the songs, and then all of a sudden this riff/beat started up. We were so excited I think we even started jumping around the room to it.

It's always been one of my favorites! I love the not-so-obvious build up to the end.

You wrote my own story....
I had seen them on SNL (the rerun in 79) and then the SG 8-track, and the summer of 1980 was all about the Stones, and then ER came out. I remember listening to the single, and being just blown away by the weirdnesso of it: the strange, off-beat rhythm and syncopation...
And then my local rock station also played tracks from the album right before its official release date, so for about a day or two, you were hearing Indian Girl, All About You, Send it to Me etc...and people would call in and comment and request...It was a huge deal. All this coincided with a Stones A-Z the next weekend to celebrate the release.
That was my official christening as a real fan, not just them as a curiosity...
I was all in...

That's awesome, we're twins. I recall an A-Z weekend too, not sure if the same one as you. That was the first time I ever heard C***sucker Blues - the station actually played that song on the air!

I was already a huge Stones fan by the time the ER album came out ... after Some Girls, I got Hot Rocks & Made In the Shade, ... then a few others, I can't remember the order - many of the early ones. Anyway I was also buying them on 8-track, so I had the shortened Shattered version - never knew it was longer until several years later.

But Emotional Rescue was a big deal for me, as stated before, it was the first time I was able to experience a 'new' Stones album as it came out. I saw your other post ... I always loved the album, but still, I just can't put it on the same plain as Some Girls.

BTW, All About You ... I never heard Keith sing like that before, it didn't sound like the same voice that sung Happy and Before They Make Me Run. My friend and I were convinced for a while that it was Ronnie singing.

We're the same person!
I got Hot Rocks and then Big Hits and Fazed Cookies... And I cant, for the life of me, remember the order of the rest...
We were on a parallel track!

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 22, 2015 09:18

Naturalust
24FPS
LeonidP
treaclefingers
stupidguy2
It was my punk rock.

I may be wrong but I get the feeling treacle was being humorous when mentioning Billy Joel. It made me laugh anyway. peace

well it was an attempt at humour...whether it lands successfully is always open to question.

Date: February 22, 2015 09:30

treaclefingers

well it was an attempt at humour...whether it lands successfully is always open to question.

I get (and appreciate) your sense of humor. Sometimes it's even better when someone takes it seriously. grinning smiley The many different cultures and first languages of people here guarantees some rough landings...but when in question with your posts these days, it's a pretty safe bet to assume comedy is involved. peace

Posted by: artofstone ()
Date: February 22, 2015 20:04

@NICOS: thank you!

best regards, artofstone
[exhibition on main st]

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: February 23, 2015 03:56

I'm assuming Keith used the green MXR delay?

Anyone ever a/b the green MXR delay and the MXR Carbon Copy? If so, any similarities?

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: February 23, 2015 11:40

Hmm... one of the most liked songs in Stones canon if we look at the responses here: not a single negative comment about the original studio version!

And I don't vote against. It is one of those 'kids, don't try this at home' pieces the Stones show why they are real masters. Structurally the song is simple as hell, just three chords and the melody loosely going along the lines. 'Anybody' can do that... and would do nothing. But is there where the real genius of Stones lies: incredible sense of intuition in finding the right notes, timings, sounds, instruments, nuances; an ability to build up a capturing drama within such a simple format (both musically and lyrically). That's a product of natural talent married with hard work and experience. Of course, it is not always so easy for them either. I think "She's So Cold" is one of their best groovy rockers they ever have done. They just nail it there.

As far as the live versions go, unlike many here, I liked the 'rushed' versions of 1981/82 tour. Probably there was some (post-) punk influence in the original, but those are clearly seen when played over-fast... Jagger's vocals especially - check, for example, HAMPTON - are full of punk edge.

- Doxa

Posted by: MartinB ()
Date: February 23, 2015 12:01

Doxa
It is one of those 'kids, don't try this at home' pieces the Stones show why they are real masters. Structurally the song is simple as hell, just three chords and the melody loosely going along the lines. 'Anybody' can do that... and would do nothing. But is there where the real genius of Stones lies: incredible sense of intuition in finding the right notes, timings, sounds, instruments, nuances; an ability to build up a capturing drama within such a simple format (both musically and lyrically). That's a product of natural talent married with hard work and experience. Of course, it is not always so easy for them either. I think "She's So Cold" is one of their best groovy rockers they ever have done. They just nail it there.

- Doxa

Very true. But is not this the very definition of the Stones in general?

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: February 23, 2015 12:13

MartinB
Doxa
It is one of those 'kids, don't try this at home' pieces the Stones show why they are real masters. Structurally the song is simple as hell, just three chords and the melody loosely going along the lines. 'Anybody' can do that... and would do nothing. But is there where the real genius of Stones lies: incredible sense of intuition in finding the right notes, timings, sounds, instruments, nuances; an ability to build up a capturing drama within such a simple format (both musically and lyrically). That's a product of natural talent married with hard work and experience. Of course, it is not always so easy for them either. I think "She's So Cold" is one of their best groovy rockers they ever have done. They just nail it there.

- Doxa

Very true. But is not this the very definition of the Stones in general?

Yeah. That's why I think "She's So Cold" - with things like "Tumbling Dice" or "Rocks Off" - belongs to those school book cases in displaying the unique Stones 'magic' at its very best.

- Doxa

Date: February 23, 2015 12:17

More punch and better dynamics, with less distorted guitars. Another Mesa Boogie/MXR-homerun thumbs up

Posted by: geoffc ()
Date: February 23, 2015 17:16

I have always wondered if there was originally a more complete sax solo, but it was later faded out after a few bars?

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: February 23, 2015 19:32

It's been a single over here - and I didn't like it.
Some nice moments but it has always been more of a filler track to me.
For shure not a classic. Not even close.
I'm surprised so many seem to like it that much.

Date: February 23, 2015 21:43

CousinC

it revels in it's sparseness...that guitar intro is sublime.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 24, 2015 00:07

Doxa
Hmm... one of the most liked songs in Stones canon if we look at the responses here: not a single negative comment about the original studio version!

And I don't vote against. It is one of those 'kids, don't try this at home' pieces the Stones show why they are real masters. Structurally the song is simple as hell, just three chords and the melody loosely going along the lines. 'Anybody' can do that... and would do nothing. But is there where the real genius of Stones lies: incredible sense of intuition in finding the right notes, timings, sounds, instruments, nuances; an ability to build up a capturing drama within such a simple format (both musically and lyrically). That's a product of natural talent married with hard work and experience. Of course, it is not always so easy for them either. I think "She's So Cold" is one of their best groovy rockers they ever have done. They just nail it there.

As far as the live versions go, unlike many here, I liked the 'rushed' versions of 1981/82 tour. Probably there was some (post-) punk influence in the original, but those are clearly seen when played over-fast... Jagger's vocals especially - check, for example, HAMPTON - are full of punk edge.

- Doxa

Live this song sucks, to my ears anyway. But the studio version...

It's beyond fantastic. The mix is incredible (as is the mix for the entire LP). One thing I noticed, after years of listening to it, was something strange - there's one guitar track that disappears and then just somehow comes back and it's not even noticeable. "Who would believe you were a beauty indeed... night fades when the rain comes" is the area where Keith's guitar (left speaker) just... disappears (exactly at 3:07). Ronnie's chime comes back in faintly at about 3:18 and solidly at 3:20 and then Keith's comes back in at about 3:41 ('I'm the burning bush') - there's a few seconds where it sounds like there are zero guitars ('nobody will know, when you're old'), which probably means there aren't, ha ha, and also then 'I'm the burning bush' they all come back - and it's very difficult to tell if you aren't paying attention. They're very back in the mix. The bass and drums and lead vocal are way up front. It's such a bizarrely crisp yet quiet song.

In the 3:58-4:01 frame there's a nice little three note three string descending yet ascending thing Keith liked to do on the STEEL WHEELS tour - I think this is the first song he ever did that. It does it twice and it's difficult to tell if that track is anywhere else in the song; seems to be an end tag.

Excellent background vocals from Jagger. It sounds like there's a conversation going on at times. He did some great vocal work on EMOTIONAL RESCUE and UNDERCOVER in terms of album to album. Certainly a peak.

Posted by: DoctorFreddie ()
Date: February 24, 2015 03:12

Doxa

- Doxa

Love the studio version but many live versions are not good. Listen to the london wembley 82 version. Thats a very untogether band playing the song, but its the Stones and i fu.... love itsmiling smiley

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: February 24, 2015 05:10

treaclefingers
CousinC

it revels in it's sparseness...that guitar intro is sublime.

And right after the guitar break, when they come back into the song's main riff, I always loved that ...I can't describe it, but its a sustained lick, it almost sounds like a steel guitar...that's the magic chord.
It's frenetic and yet smooth at the same time, with Mick's delivery converying both humor and passion and heartbreak...resignation and urgency.
I used to assume it was Ronnie on steel...he was doing alot of that in this period.

Date: February 24, 2015 08:00

DandelionPowderman
More punch and better dynamics, with less distorted guitars. Another Mesa Boogie/MXR-homerun thumbs up

Spoken like a true gear head, credit to the electronics. winking smiley peace

Date: February 24, 2015 10:51

GasLightStreet
Doxa

- Doxa

It's beyond fantastic. The mix is incredible (as is the mix for the entire LP). One thing I noticed, after years of listening to it, was something strange - there's one guitar track that disappears and then just somehow comes back and it's not even noticeable. "Who would believe you were a beauty indeed... night fades when the rain comes" is the area where Keith's guitar (left speaker) just... disappears (exactly at 3:07). Ronnie's chime comes back in faintly at about 3:18 and solidly at 3:20 and then Keith's comes back in at about 3:41 ('I'm the burning bush') - there's a few seconds where it sounds like there are zero guitars ('nobody will know, when you're old'), which probably means there aren't, ha ha, and also then 'I'm the burning bush' they all come back - and it's very difficult to tell if you aren't paying attention. They're very back in the mix. The bass and drums and lead vocal are way up front. It's such a bizarrely crisp yet quiet song.

In the 3:58-4:01 frame there's a nice little three note three string descending yet ascending thing Keith liked to do on the STEEL WHEELS tour - I think this is the first song he ever did that. It does it twice and it's difficult to tell if that track is anywhere else in the song; seems to be an end tag.

Excellent background vocals from Jagger. It sounds like there's a conversation going on at times. He did some great vocal work on EMOTIONAL RESCUE and UNDERCOVER in terms of album to album. Certainly a peak.

Apart from Mick forgetting the lyrics from the get-go, I thought the version we got at Roskilde was pretty good. Both tempo-wise and (if we look past a few Keith-flubs) the guitar playing.

Posted by: wandering spirit ()
Date: February 24, 2015 11:37

She's So Cold was the song that made a Stones fan out of me at the age of 15...still love it a lot. like many already mentioned, for me it is a kind of archetypical Stones rocker. it is exactly this kind of song which makes me love the band and their music.
P.S. The Hapmton version of She's So Cold is great too! At the moment i prefer it even to the studio one.

Posted by: chatoyancy ()
Date: February 24, 2015 11:44

I think the lyrics of both "She's So Cold" and "Start Me Up" were written about a girl from San Francisco who was given a ride in a Stone's car but who declined to sleep with any of them. Both songs include car imagery. Michael Shrieve from San Francisco is on percussion. Many hidden clues.

Date: February 24, 2015 11:51

chatoyancy
I think the lyrics of both "She's So Cold" and "Start Me Up" were written about a girl from San Francisco who was given a ride in a Stone's car but who declined to sleep with any of them. Both songs include car imagery. Michael Shrieve from San Francisco is on percussion. Many hidden clues.

Is there any percussion on this track at all?

Date: February 24, 2015 15:26

wandering spirit
She's So Cold was the song that made a Stones fan out of me at the age of 15...still love it a lot. like many already mentioned, for me it is a kind of archetypical Stones rocker. it is exactly this kind of song which makes me love the band and their music.
P.S. The Hapmton version of She's So Cold is great too! At the moment i prefer it even to the studio one.

wow, that song seems to have made a fan out of a lot of us, AT AGE 15!

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: February 24, 2015 15:54

DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet
Doxa

- Doxa

Apart from Mick forgetting the lyrics from the get-go, I thought the version we got at Roskilde was pretty good. Both tempo-wise and (if we look past a few Keith-flubs) the guitar playing.

They can't go wrong with this masterpiece of a three chord song. This song is one of the ten best songs they ever wrote. Yes, all eras included.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: February 24, 2015 16:03

DandelionPowderman
rumple21
There was some discussion on this board some time back about 'how' original the Stones version of 'She's So Cold' is - Willie Nile claims they stole it from him...

[www.iorr.org]

The title? Because the music is completely different..

Music: Hang Fire, refrain Shes so cold, the vocals. But, still , Shes so cold is pure Stones.

Date: February 25, 2015 01:06

Redhotcarpet
DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet
Doxa

- Doxa

They can't go wrong with this masterpiece of a three chord song. This song is one of the ten best songs they ever wrote. Yes, all eras included.

love the love for this underrated track.

Posted by: chatoyancy ()
Date: February 25, 2015 07:54

Michael Shrieve said: "I'd go to the studio to hang out with the Stones and every once in awhile there needed to be some percussion on a tune and I was there and just did it. It was just small stuff like tambourine, cowbell, or maybe some timbales. I played on the Emotional Rescue record and Tattoo You and I played drums on Mick's first solo album."

Michael was 17 when he played drums for Santana at Woodstock and at Altamont.

Date: February 25, 2015 08:25

Yeah, but did he play on this track?

Date: February 25, 2015 09:03

DandelionPowderman
Yeah, but did he play on this track?

I doubt it. The track is sparse enough to hear all the parts and I sure don't hear any additional percussion. peace

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 3 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1618
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home