Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 2 of 8
Re: Track Talk: She's So Cold
Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: May 19, 2014 21:28

I like the sparse guitar playing on it, it kind of has a country sound.

Date: May 20, 2014 15:39

Bill Wyman.....

we miss you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: rumple21 ()
Date: May 20, 2014 16:15

There was some discussion on this board some time back about 'how' original the Stones version of 'She's So Cold' is - Willie Nile claims they stole it from him...

[www.iorr.org]

Date: May 20, 2014 16:21

rumple21
There was some discussion on this board some time back about 'how' original the Stones version of 'She's So Cold' is - Willie Nile claims they stole it from him...

[www.iorr.org]

The title? Because the music is completely different..

Posted by: rumple21 ()
Date: May 20, 2014 16:55

Different certainly but i do think there are similarities. Anyway as far as I know Nile didn't pursue any legal claim so...

Posted by: Tops ()
Date: February 21, 2015 00:58

So underrated. One of my favourite songs. Great song live.Should have been played live more often.... I'm a fan of both the fast punkier version from 81/82 and the one from Toronto 2005.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 21, 2015 01:44

The song that started me on my stones journey

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: February 21, 2015 02:00

Song has grown on me from the first listen. Didn't like the guitar tone at initially, sounded like it was the cheapest reverb I'd ever heard. Also it was another sign the Stones were venturing away from my beloved rock and roll and into the disco/punk music of the time. Quit becoming leaders and started following the pack, or so was my perception at the time. peace

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: February 21, 2015 02:39

One of my all-time favorite tracks. I wish they'd try playing it at the correct tempo. Almost every time they play it live it ends up sounding rushed, like they can't wait to get it over with. To me it's like Miss You. Great groove... Moves along at a great pace. Beautiful guitar work and an exercise in "less is more" by Charlie.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: February 21, 2015 05:22

Emotional Rescue was the first 'new' Stones album that I ever experienced .... (I bought Some Girls after seeing them on SNL). A local radio station was playing the entire album about a week before being released. I remember sleeping at a friends house just to stay up and listen to the debut. We were sitting there taking in all the songs, and then all of a sudden this riff/beat started up. We were so excited I think we even started jumping around the room to it.

It's always been one of my favorites! I love the not-so-obvious build up to the end.

Posted by: artofstone ()
Date: February 21, 2015 13:41

one of my favourite tracks as i discovered my love for the stones long time ago. and it still is...
that's why i chose it for my 50 years art project [exhibition on main st]

she's so cold:

Posted by: gibsonman ()
Date: February 21, 2015 13:44

One of my favorites! Pretty sure ER was the first Stonesalbum I bought, and this song is one of the best from the album. You simply can not not like the guitar with the slapback delay! A true rocknroll song with great elements.. smiling smiley

Posted by: MGetzner ()
Date: February 21, 2015 14:38

This song is some of the best of the Stones in a nutshell, and similar to many in this thread, this song made me a Stones addict at the age of 14!

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: February 21, 2015 14:56

artofstone
one of my favourite tracks as i discovered my love for the stones long time ago. and it still is...
that's why i chose it for my 50 years art project [exhibition on main st]

she's so cold:

I saw some nice painting Mathias....great work

Date: February 21, 2015 15:38

flacnvinyl
One of my all-time favorite tracks. I wish they'd try playing it at the correct tempo. Almost every time they play it live it ends up sounding rushed, like they can't wait to get it over with. To me it's like Miss You. Great groove... Moves along at a great pace. Beautiful guitar work and an exercise in "less is more" by Charlie.

Completely agree...it's all about the tempo and I haven't like a live version nearly as much as the studio.

Posted by: Dolf ()
Date: February 21, 2015 16:22

Killer track! In essention one of the best songs which shows the power of a good Stones song: simple song, yet very energetic, RAW and restless. Also love the paris version of this song the Stones did in the studio 2014.

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: February 21, 2015 16:54

Also recommended: Peter Schleicher "I steh so auf sie" which is in fact the Austrian translation of the "I'm so hot for her" line.
My favourite line!: I bin verknallt in an Gletscherspalt (I'm in love with an ice crevice/crevasse)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-02-21 16:56 by JJHMick.

Posted by: chrism13 ()
Date: February 21, 2015 17:33

I like the studio version a lot but I also like the 81-82 live version as well.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: February 21, 2015 21:35

treaclefingers
this one started it all for me 34 years ago. listening to am radio and it came on it was like a bolt of electricity to my system.

bought the 45 then the album, then the entire catalogue, many times over.

I still love this song because it's beautiful though.

I remember how I at the time, with such a title for a song and the anger of the lyrics and of the vocal, thought that the sound of the guitar solo had too much beauty. But soon after, it struck me : Although beautiful, how cold the sound was. I was conquered. I have always since loved the song.

The beauty, the coldness and the anger. In their magical combination.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-02-21 21:40 by Witness.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 21, 2015 22:11

treaclefingers
flacnvinyl

Completely agree...it's all about the tempo and I haven't like a live version nearly as much as the studio.

This insanely excellent song, like Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker) is one they should never play live because they can't do it justice. They ruin the song by performing it without a hint of what makes it great - tactfulness.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: February 21, 2015 22:42

GasLightStreet
treaclefingers
flacnvinyl

This insanely excellent song, like Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker) is one they should never play live because they can't do it justice. They ruin the song by performing it without a hint of what makes it great - tactfulness.

Could be said about half their catalog. I think it's more a statement of how great their recordings are. But I certainly wouldn't want to limit their attempts at performing them live. I just think of the live songs as stand alone pieces and try not to compare them to the studio recordings because that is futile and a set up for disappointment, in most cases. Comparing them to other live performances is more interesting and fun for me.

Considering they do huge amounts of takes in the studio, listen backs, corrections, multiple layers of guitars and vocals, over dubs and then hours of mixing the levels and adjusting EQ's it's east to see why a single take live performance might not produce as good of a musical result....the overall result however is often good enough. Even though this studio tune sounds sparse, I think we'd be shocked at how much went into getting it right. peace

Posted by: jp.M ()
Date: February 21, 2015 23:03

...Great song in studio and live (Austin !..)..."who would believe you where a beauty indeed when the days get shorter".....)

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: February 21, 2015 23:29

Good, fun romp.

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: February 22, 2015 01:41

LeonidP
Emotional Rescue was the first 'new' Stones album that I ever experienced .... (I bought Some Girls after seeing them on SNL). A local radio station was playing the entire album about a week before being released. I remember sleeping at a friends house just to stay up and listen to the debut. We were sitting there taking in all the songs, and then all of a sudden this riff/beat started up. We were so excited I think we even started jumping around the room to it.

It's always been one of my favorites! I love the not-so-obvious build up to the end.

You wrote my own story....
I had seen them on SNL (the rerun in 79) and then the SG 8-track, and the summer of 1980 was all about the Stones, and then ER came out. I remember listening to the single, and being just blown away by the weirdnesso of it: the strange, off-beat rhythm and syncopation...
And then my local rock station also played tracks from the album right before its official release date, so for about a day or two, you were hearing Indian Girl, All About You, Send it to Me etc...and people would call in and comment and request...It was a huge deal. All this coincided with a Stones A-Z the next weekend to celebrate the release.
That was my official christening as a real fan, not just them as a curiosity...
I was all in...

Date: February 22, 2015 01:46

Naturalust
GasLightStreet
treaclefingers
flacnvinyl

Could be said about half their catalog. I think it's more a statement of how great their recordings are. But I certainly wouldn't want to limit their attempts at performing them live. I just think of the live songs as stand alone pieces and try not to compare them to the studio recordings because that is futile and a set up for disappointment, in most cases. Comparing them to other live performances is more interesting and fun for me.

Considering they do huge amounts of takes in the studio, listen backs, corrections, multiple layers of guitars and vocals, over dubs and then hours of mixing the levels and adjusting EQ's it's east to see why a single take live performance might not produce as good of a musical result....the overall result however is often good enough. Even though this studio tune sounds sparse, I think we'd be shocked at how much went into getting it right. peace

I agree, what seems easy and laid back, just 'tossed off' took some effort.

This even today has to be in my top 10, ok top 20.

Date: February 22, 2015 01:46

I've always believed this album remains underrated by many older fans...
which always struck me as cynical.
From the posts here, ER, and SG, were seminal for a whole generation of us coming of age in 1979-80....
It was my punk rock.

Date: February 22, 2015 01:51

stupidguy2
From the posts here, ER, and SG, were seminal for a whole generation of us coming of age in 1979-80....
It was my punk rock.

It was the first Stones album I got into. When I first heard Emotional Rescue, I didn't even like the song. So when SSC blew my mind, I just bought the 45. But then I liked the flip side, and I think I heard Where the Boys Go on the radio, so I took a flyer and bought the album (that and Billy Joel Glass Houses the same day).

Since then, I've bought every stones album in every configuration possible, many duplicates in sealed condition, every box set, and every single 45, UK and US, all many times over.

I also have purchased a Billy Joel double greatest hits CD.

Date: February 22, 2015 03:00

treaclefingers
stupidguy2
It was my punk rock.

It was the first Stones album I got into. When I first heard Emotional Rescue, I didn't even like the song. So when SSC blew my mind, I just bought the 45. But then I liked the flip side, and I think I heard Where the Boys Go on the radio, so I took a flyer and bought the album (that and Billy Joel Glass Houses the same day).

Since then, I've bought every stones album in every configuration possible, many duplicates in sealed condition, every box set, and every single 45, UK and US, all many times over.

I also have purchased a Billy Joel double greatest hits CD.
Glass Houses! I remember Jackson Browne's "The Boulvard" coming out that same week or a few before...its funny how everything surrounding is connected to my Stones memory.

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: February 22, 2015 03:56

I never tire of this song or of watching the video and Mick's tongue-in-cheek antics, which always put a huge smile on my face. So many have cited it as a favourite & I'm with them. Listen up, Mick... smiling smiley

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: February 22, 2015 05:29

stupidguy2
LeonidP

You wrote my own story....
I had seen them on SNL (the rerun in 79) and then the SG 8-track, and the summer of 1980 was all about the Stones, and then ER came out. I remember listening to the single, and being just blown away by the weirdnesso of it: the strange, off-beat rhythm and syncopation...
And then my local rock station also played tracks from the album right before its official release date, so for about a day or two, you were hearing Indian Girl, All About You, Send it to Me etc...and people would call in and comment and request...It was a huge deal. All this coincided with a Stones A-Z the next weekend to celebrate the release.
That was my official christening as a real fan, not just them as a curiosity...
I was all in...

That's awesome, we're twins. I recall an A-Z weekend too, not sure if the same one as you. That was the first time I ever heard C***sucker Blues - the station actually played that song on the air!

I was already a huge Stones fan by the time the ER album came out ... after Some Girls, I got Hot Rocks & Made In the Shade, ... then a few others, I can't remember the order - many of the early ones. Anyway I was also buying them on 8-track, so I had the shortened Shattered version - never knew it was longer until several years later.

But Emotional Rescue was a big deal for me, as stated before, it was the first time I was able to experience a 'new' Stones album as it came out. I saw your other post ... I always loved the album, but still, I just can't put it on the same plain as Some Girls.

BTW, All About You ... I never heard Keith sing like that before, it didn't sound like the same voice that sung Happy and Before They Make Me Run. My friend and I were convinced for a while that it was Ronnie singing.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 2 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1305
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home