Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 5 of 6
Re: Anybody else here think that Rolling Stones and rock music in general is childish?
Posted by: Nate ()
Date: May 18, 2014 13:17

I fail to see how sex drugs and rock and roll could be considered to be childish.

Nate

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-18 13:18 by Nate.

Re: Anybody else here think that Rolling Stones and rock music in general is childish?
Posted by: howled ()
Date: May 18, 2014 13:37

[www.hark.com]

Marty: "If you could not play rock 'n' roll, what would you do?"

David: "I'd be a full-time dreamer."

Viv: "I'd probably get a bit stupid and start to make a fool of myself in public 'cause there wouldn't be a stage to go on."

Derek: "Probably work with children."

Mick Shrimpton (R.J. Parnell): "As long as there's, you know, sex and drugs, I can do without rock and roll."

Nigel: "Well, I suppose I could work in a shop, of some kind or do, do, freelance selling of some sort of product."

Marty: "A salesman, you could deal with..."

Nigel: "A salesman like, maybe in a habadasher. Or maybe like a, uh, chapeau shop or something. You know, like, 'Would you... what size do you wear, sir?' And then you answer me."

Marty: "Uh... seven and a quarter."

Nigel: "'I think we have that.' See, something like that I could do."

Marty: "Yeah. You think you'd be happy doing something like..."

Nigel: "'No, we're all out. Do you wear black?' See, that sort of thing I think I could probably muster up."

Marty: "Yeah. Do you think you'd be happy doing that?" Nigel: "Well, I don't know. Wh-- Wh..."

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-18 13:41 by howled.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 18, 2014 13:57

A funny and interesting feature of rock and roll and rock and roll generations is that it's teenager music that the people stopped not liking when they grew up. Something to do with the whole genre developing and changing so rapidly and greatly during the 60's and 70's from the premises of Elvis and early Beatlemania etc.. It kept people interested, since there were new things and sounds happening everywhere, all the time. And along teh process, the music makers themselves raised a conscious of their significance and merit (especially when 'rock music' was distinguished from just 'pop music' conceptually, and had an artistic value of its own, in the late 60's/early 70's). I think the backbone of rock music taking 'seriously' was laid then, and that lasted through the next decades (the rise of punk movement was a typical within an established genre occurring revolution).

And back then - 50's, 60's, 70's, 80's - the music played such a huge role in a youth culture altogether, giving quite a lot of identity to people. Today is different, and I don't the kids who are listening, say, hiphop are going to do that when they reach their senior years. The music altogether, as we know, don't have such an important role any longer to teenagers. Thereby, nobody will have such an impact on culture as Elvis, the Beatles, The Stones and Dylan once did.

"Childish?" To an extent, yes... even though I would say the better to describe is "funny"... think of the hippies with their naive revolutionary idealism, the prog musicians with their hybric self-importance of their artistic value, the over-rated guitar gods thinking they are doing something instrumentally high-class, Dylanology, the rise and fall of self-important 'critical' rock press, the punks with self-claimed puberty anarchism, the jazz-like pretentious division of all these subgenres, mostly in heavy metal scene, the conservatism of last 20 years of old people living their nostalgic youth in Rolling Stones concerts and acting like in their teenager years... Let's see how the future rates this all...grinning smiley But I think most, if not all, of us here are a bit too much involved to be too critical... Probably it is not our task to do that, but "keep on rocking, and hoping for the best", as one of our heroes once said...winking smiley

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-18 14:15 by Doxa.

Date: May 18, 2014 14:20

What's wrong with childish anyway? When I'm in a different mood, I put on different music - maybe Bela Bartok or Chopin. Everything musn't be compared. What was the problem again, to please your friends - to show that you have matured, both to yourself and others?

Date: May 18, 2014 14:44

DandelionPowderman
What's wrong with childish anyway? When I'm in a different mood, I put on different music - maybe Bela Bartok or Chopin. Everything musn't be compared. What was the problem again, to please your friends - to show that you have matured, both to yourself and others?

Yeah, different things for different purposes... and as persons we have so many different needs.

It is funny to think that young Brian Jones saw a similar problem as Erik raised now. He wrote that public letter to defend rhythm and blues against the criticism of jazz folks, and used similar terms, such as 'intellectual', people have used in this very thread.

Anyway, I think one particular feature of rock music in general is that - despite some historical overtones - that it doesn't take music that seriously at all, and is awere of its function in our lives. One particular group even put that geniously in words - "It's Only Rock and Roll, But I Like It" - and I think that dictum has turned out to be more and more spot on, as the years go by.

- Doxa

Posted by: steini ()
Date: May 18, 2014 15:56

The bottom line is: do in life what you like. It´s a matter of taste. And don´t forget the child in the Emperors New Clothes.
I only listened to classical music when i was a child, now i listen to both.
The real problem seems to be for Erik is he can´t be himself around his girlfriend(that´s childish it should be your wife!)
And finally the cleverest songline that zooms up what most people at every age are struggling with and what facebook and all this crap is about when it all comes down to it is "Lets Spend the Night Together"

Posted by: MisterO ()
Date: May 18, 2014 16:00

The OP should give Pete Seeger's "Turn Turn Turn" a listen to...

To suggest that were all trapped in some Stones bubble 24/7 is ludicrous. I can only speak for myself but I'm willing to wager the vast majority of us are well rounded individuals with many other varied interests, musically and otherwise.

That said.....It is my belief that OP is the childish one. Not for starting this discussion but doing it the way he did. He set it up that as soon as someone disagreed with him he would take the high road and state he was only trying to start a discussion and then plays the vicim by stating he was "attacked" by "Retards". Really?

What a pathetic weasel.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 18, 2014 16:46

Bliss
Classical music is definitely not all from the neck up! I weep profusely at tragic operas.

may I ask what part of your body you're weeping from then?

Posted by: texas fan ()
Date: May 18, 2014 16:54

Hi Erik --

I haven't had the chance to read all of the posts in this thread -- maybe my thought has been shared already.

I can't judge music based on how complicated it is, or how technically proficient the players are or how intellectual the composer is. It either transports me and makes me feel something or it doesn't

Like any art, music can communicate something real about our existence. But it's not all about the intellectual side of things; there is an emotional, visceral side to us that needs feeding, too, I think.

Sometimes it's about rhythm as well as melody, and sometimes it's not pretty.

Classical music takes me places and makes me feel things that rock music doesn't, but the opposite is also true, and similar discussions can be had about blues, jazz and (I guess) everything else..

So, is rock music childish, even silly maybe? Yes, sometimes, but some classical music is just silly decoration that never delivers anything real.

I won't comment on the Stones in particular, except to say that, when they deliver something real, I sure do like it.

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: May 18, 2014 17:06

yeah but it's a good thing. i hate most adults.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: May 18, 2014 17:41

Doxa
A funny and interesting feature of rock and roll and rock and roll generations is that it's teenager music that the people stopped not liking when they grew up. Something to do with the whole genre developing and changing so rapidly and greatly during the 60's and 70's from the premises of Elvis and early Beatlemania etc.. It kept people interested, since there were new things and sounds happening everywhere, all the time. And along teh process, the music makers themselves raised a conscious of their significance and merit (especially when 'rock music' was distinguished from just 'pop music' conceptually, and had an artistic value of its own, in the late 60's/early 70's). I think the backbone of rock music taking 'seriously' was laid then, and that lasted through the next decades (the rise of punk movement was a typical within an established genre occurring revolution).

And back then - 50's, 60's, 70's, 80's - the music played such a huge role in a youth culture altogether, giving quite a lot of identity to people. Today is different, and I don't the kids who are listening, say, hiphop are going to do that when they reach their senior years. The music altogether, as we know, don't have such an important role any longer to teenagers. Thereby, nobody will have such an impact on culture as Elvis, the Beatles, The Stones and Dylan once did.

"Childish?" To an extent, yes... even though I would say the better to describe is "funny"... think of the hippies with their naive revolutionary idealism, the prog musicians with their hybric self-importance of their artistic value, the over-rated guitar gods thinking they are doing something instrumentally high-class, Dylanology, the rise and fall of self-important 'critical' rock press, the punks with self-claimed puberty anarchism, the jazz-like pretentious division of all these subgenres, mostly in heavy metal scene, the conservatism of last 20 years of old people living their nostalgic youth in Rolling Stones concerts and acting like in their teenager years... Let's see how the future rates this all...grinning smiley But I think most, if not all, of us here are a bit too much involved to be too critical... Probably it is not our task to do that, but "keep on rocking, and hoping for the best", as one of our heroes once said...winking smiley

- Doxa

Doxa, your first paragraph is excellent, a wonderful summary of what has gone on, imo. cool smiley

On your second paragraph, I'm not so sure that music isn't at least somewhat important to the younger generations, although maybe it doesn't take as prominent a role as music of the 60s and 70s in the lives of the then young people. I think younger people of today may still harken back to the music of their youth in their later years.

The last paragraph makes some sense, but I agree, we are too much involved to know.

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: May 18, 2014 17:42

I'd rather say a childish posting, Eric.
Have your problems with the arm moved upwards by now? Come on . .

Date: May 18, 2014 18:36

angee

Doxa, your first paragraph is excellent, a wonderful summary of what has gone on, imo. cool smiley

On your second paragraph, I'm not so sure that music isn't at least somewhat important to the younger generations, although maybe it doesn't take as prominent a role as music of the 60s and 70s in the lives of the then young people. I think younger people of today may still harken back to the music of their youth in their later years.

The last paragraph makes some sense, but I agree, we are too much involved to know.

Thanks for your comments!

Yeah, the importance of music today to the uprising generation is, of course, a relative issue. Surely it still has a role, but like you said, the role isn't such big as earlier. My observation has been that in many ways 'pop' of today has been seen probably as the same way as rock and roll and pop - before that distinction took place - was seen in the 50's and early 60's before the artistic progression really took place. That is that there really isn't that self-consciousness of artistic significance and progress that so much characterized the 60's/70's rock music. Now the approach, by both makers and listeners, is more instrumental - this is 'just' pop music, a 'hit' today, forgotten tomorrow. The commercial aspect is rather obvious, and no much 'pretensions' to 'pure' artistic value. My prediction is that the music of today does not leave such a lasting trace or impact to a collective consciousness, or to individual persons that they would preserve those to the rest of their lives.

Okay, my last paragraph was made in a tongue-in-a-cheek, just trying to illustrate one possible way to describe rock culture in a negative light, and it surely didn't express my own opinion! I trust the sense of humour - and self-critisism - of people here. We are old and experienced enough to not take ourselves too seriously...grinning smiley

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-18 18:41 by Doxa.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: May 18, 2014 19:12

I only read the initial post, and not the subsequent five pages of comments, so someone has probably mentioned this. Anyone who posits that the music of the Rolling Stones is 'childish' has no understanding of the history of popular music, and in particular, the development of the blues genre in the United States. It's a rich and fascinating history, and well worth the time invested for anyone who is serious about music.

I have an Ivy League education, and hold a prominent position - and I have never for a moment felt "embarrassed" because I love the Stones. In June 2006 I stook next to Fred DeLuca, the owner of Subway Sandwiches, on the catwalk in Amsterdam. In October of that year, I attended the show at the Beacon Theater - Martin Scorcese directed the cameras on the floor and Bill Clinton and his staff sat in the mezzanine. Over the years, I've done a lot of work for Deutsche Bank, one of the world's premier financial institutions, which actually hired the Stones to play a private event for clients in Barcelona. None of these guys seem embarrassed either. Which raises the question - what strata of society does Erik Snow's girlfriend occupy; one that is so special and posh that one must be embarrassed to like the Stones?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-18 19:35 by drbryant.

Posted by: donvis ()
Date: May 18, 2014 20:02

Erik_Snow why are you even on this board then? Clearly you are just trying to be irritating. Too bad BV doesn't kick you off.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: May 18, 2014 20:43

drbryant
I only read the initial post, and not the subsequent five pages of comments, so someone has probably mentioned this. Anyone who posts that the music of the Rolling Stones is 'childish' has no understanding of the history of popular music, and in particular, the development of the blues genre in the United States. It's a rich and fascinating history, and well worth the time invested for anyone who is serious about music.

I have an Ivy League education, and hold a prominent position - and I have never for a moment felt "embarrassed" because I love the Stones. In June 2006 I stook next to Fred DeLuca, the owner of Subway Sandwiches, on the catwalk in Amsterdam. In October of that year, I attended the show at the Beacon Theater - Martin Scorcese directed the cameras on the floor and Bill Clinton and his staff sat in the mezzanine. Over the years, I've done a lot of work for Deutsche Bank, one of the world's premier financial institutions, which actually hired the Stones to play a private event for clients in Barcelona. None of these guys seem embarrassed either. Which raises the question - what strata of society does Erik Snow's girlfriend occupy; one that is so special and posh that one must be embarrassed to like the Stones?[/[/b]quote]

Good question, very good question in fact ?

Erik ? Feeling better today ? Feeling a little less childish perhaps ? Good. Well in that case, kindly answer the above question. Or if you don't wish to do that, then perhaps get yourself a new girlfriend and try & desist from posting absolute rubbish.

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: May 18, 2014 21:31

drbryant
I only read the initial post, and not the subsequent five pages of comments, so someone has probably mentioned this. Anyone who posits that the music of the Rolling Stones is 'childish' has no understanding of the history of popular music, and in particular, the development of the blues genre in the United States. It's a rich and fascinating history, and well worth the time invested for anyone who is serious about music.

I have an Ivy League education, and hold a prominent position - and I have never for a moment felt "embarrassed" because I love the Stones. In June 2006 I stook next to Fred DeLuca, the owner of Subway Sandwiches, on the catwalk in Amsterdam. In October of that year, I attended the show at the Beacon Theater - Martin Scorcese directed the cameras on the floor and Bill Clinton and his staff sat in the mezzanine. Over the years, I've done a lot of work for Deutsche Bank, one of the world's premier financial institutions, which actually hired the Stones to play a private event for clients in Barcelona. None of these guys seem embarrassed either. Which raises the question - what strata of society does Erik Snow's girlfriend occupy; one that is so special and posh that one must be embarrassed to like the Stones?

Ha.......that's no barometer of anything. Banker's lack of self consciousness is unfortunately totally legendary. Everyone with half an iota of awareness knows they are shameless & without embarrassment to a point which should be criminalised, in fact, renting the (expensive) Stones was just another brazen flaunting of their ill gotten gains...........ach, mochyns!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-18 23:14 by EddieByword.

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: May 18, 2014 23:22

donvis
Erik_Snow why are you even on this board then? Clearly you are just trying to be irritating. Too bad BV doesn't kick you off.

Hey, Erik believe it or not is a good guy.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: May 18, 2014 23:27

EddieByword
drbryant

Ha.......that's no barometer of anything. Banker's lack of self consciousness is unfortunately totally legendary in the wrong way. Everyone with half an iota of awareness knows they are shameless & without embarrassment to a point which should be criminalised, in fact renting the (expensive) Stones was just another brazen flaunting of their ill gotten gains...........ach, mochyns!

I'm not an expert on bankers. Most of the work I have done for banks is "bread and butter" stuff - loans to Japanese companies to finance expansion, or real estate development. Most of the ones I know are quite nice - just like Mr. Banks in Mary Poppins!

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: May 18, 2014 23:40

No, but Simon Cowell-generated rubbish is childish.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: May 19, 2014 00:09

drbryant
EddieByword
drbryant

Ha.......that's no barometer of anything. Banker's lack of self consciousness is unfortunately totally legendary in the wrong way. Everyone with half an iota of awareness knows they are shameless & without embarrassment to a point which should be criminalised, in fact renting the (expensive) Stones was just another brazen flaunting of their ill gotten gains...........ach, mochyns!

I'm not an expert on bankers. Most of the work I have done for banks is "bread and butter" stuff - loans to Japanese companies to finance expansion, or real estate development. Most of the ones I know are quite nice - just like Mr. Banks in Mary Poppins!

Funny drbryant, good one, funnily enough my own brother is a banker, he's ok too........it must be all the ones that sleep in coffins that we never see by day that do all the damage...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-19 00:09 by EddieByword.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: May 19, 2014 00:39

My experience with CEO:s and high ranked politicians and such are that a large portion of them aren't intellectuals or have selective cultural tastes at all. Many of them almost never reads anything but factual prose and don't attend theatres, operas or listen to classical music unless they have to. That goes for our Prime Minister, most of his cabinet ministers (even the Minister of Culture) and many CEO:s in the banking or business world. Believe it or not!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 19, 2014 00:48

Follow it up in this strange grey town
The paint is peeling and the sky turned brown
The bankers are @#$%&, every Thursday night
They just vomit on that ground

......................................... Rain Fall Down - Jagger/Richards

ROCKMAN

Posted by: ROPS ()
Date: May 19, 2014 02:05

donvis
Hey D,who died and made you God? Erik has as much right to be here as you,for many years he has contributed a lot here,and if you don't agree with his thread just move on to the next one,that is the problem in this board lately,you don't like what somebody writes,lets ban him or her,its very unfair and cause of that fascist attitude we have lost a great deal of contributors that actually made this board much more interesting.....confused smiley

"You know who l am, say it"

Posted by: yorkey ()
Date: May 19, 2014 03:36

If anyone has the inclination, I think they should read this: Who Was Greater: Hendrix or Beethoven?

It's a great read, and I think even though the article references Hendrix, the same could apply to the Stones. Although quite obviously lesser musicians, the enjoyment that an audience can have from them is definitely not lesser. Ol' Ludwig Van also played riffs, like the 5th's main motif, but he just took the time to expand them and write whole symphonies based off them. The Stones, with Jumping Jack Flash for example, just keep that variation of one riff within a 3 minute frame that has different parts to it. But it's all brilliant music.

You got the Sun, You got the Moon,
and you've got
The Rolling Stones

smoking smileysmoking smileyRe: Anybody else here think that Rolling Stones and rock music in general is childish?
Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: May 19, 2014 03:49

"Childish" sounds negative and judgmental. If one wants to use that word it's fine but they should ask themselves why they feel that way. When we judge things like Music, we say more about ourselves than the object of our judgement.
Rockand roll,
Mops

Posted by: BroomWagon ()
Date: May 19, 2014 03:53

I think of childish songs, I would think maybe Octupuss' garden or Puff the Magic Dragon are songs for children.

It's interesting, I was on I believe Amazon once, and these Led Zeppelin fans were taunting Beatles fans saying the Beatles' music was "childish". Now I don't buy into that.

And the Beatles, who was it, George? Said what they sang about was 'love'.

Posted by: steini ()
Date: May 19, 2014 04:51

Octupuss' garden

funny, it´s my favorite Beatles song!

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: May 19, 2014 05:17

I have to laugh at those who say rock music is "childish", rock music is obsolete or dead, the sixties and all it represents are a by-gone era for "dinosaurs", the world and popular culture has changed and/or moved on, when in the U.S. moviegoers just this weekend threw down nearly $100 million for yet another remake of a 1950s sci-fi cliche like Godzilla--Godzilla, an idea that predates rock and roll.

What goes around keeps coming around.

If Godzilla is still worth $100 million to sell a weekend's worth of popcorn and Gummi Bears, then the Rolling Stones--and any other rock band for that matter--are still worth whatever people are willing to pay to see them.

Case closed.

Posted by: BroomWagon ()
Date: May 19, 2014 05:28

stonehearted
I have to laugh at those who say rock music is "childish", rock music is obsolete or dead, the sixties and all it represents are a by-gone era for "dinosaurs", the world and popular culture has changed and/or moved on, when in the U.S. moviegoers just this weekend threw down nearly $100 million for yet another remake of a 1950s sci-fi cliche like Godzilla--Godzilla, an idea that predates rock and roll.

What goes around keeps coming around.

If Godzilla is still worth $100 million to sell a weekend's worth of popcorn and Gummi Bears, then the Rolling Stones--and any other rock band for that matter--are still worth whatever people are willing to pay to see them.

Case closed.

Wow. Some people thought the Original Post was depressing. What garbage, pretty far off topic too, hard to see how it fits in.

This sounds like foreigners, they don't get rock and roll. Grow up in the West, those songs were played by all the lowrider types and fill the airwaves cause it's good, sunday driving and cruising main.

Problem in this country, there's too many foreigners. If anything, Foreigners screwed up R N R, AMerican Music. That's why, the early Stones is the best, when they really emulated original R N R so well.

And we're talking about music written 400 years ago with Classical.

TomSea in the mini-league tournaments.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-19 05:47 by BroomWagon.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 5 of 6

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1738
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home