Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Sinatra reminded me of the Stones
Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: May 14, 2014 21:52

I was listening to a live performance of Frank Sinatra yesterday. It was from very late in his career, and he was singing "One for My Baby (and One More for the Road). It was obvious that he was pretty old at the time, that his voice was not what it once was, and that he couldn't phrase a song like he once was able to do. But, still, it was Sinatra live! I was thinking about the audience. To them, he was no longer the skinny crooner/idol from New Jersey, nor was he the cool member of the Rat Pack. I imagine his hair was all silver, his face was puffy, and that he wasn't what he had been. But, to them, he was there in front of them, performing, and by their applause, they loved it.

Of course, if we didn't love the Stones, we wouldn't be on this site. They are not the young, rebellious band they once were, surrounded by screaming girls and chaos; they are not the live band of the late '60's, early '70's at the top of their game; they don't have the creative juices they had for that memorable, brilliant run of albums beginning with Beggars Banquet. BUT, they are still in front of us, still performing. Their skills have diminished, they are in the twilight of their careers, they don't look the same. The most remarkable thing about this is that MJ continues to defy the laws of physics: how can a man his age move and dance and prance about? He is the real-life Peter Pan!! He is an incredible man!

So, when I read all the complaints about the set lists, that they don't "sound the same as they used to", that their concerts are too brief, though I understand where those comments are coming from, I have to say that I am glad that they are STILL performing. I can accept the issues with age, set lists, and the rest. I find it remarkable that they are still at it, and with MT with them as well.

Nothing particularly insightful here, just some thoughts.

Long live the Rolling Stones!

Re: Sinatra reminded me of the Stones
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 14, 2014 22:14

...I thought you had a bootleg of Frank doing 'The Last Time' or something.

Posted by: 68to72 ()
Date: May 14, 2014 22:15

Nice thoughts........

And you're dead right we should be happy with what we've got, rather than dwelling on what we had!

What a drag it is gettin' old

Date: May 14, 2014 22:16

I'd love to hear It's Only My Way. ..

Posted by: reg thorpe ()
Date: May 14, 2014 22:16

treaclefingers

Wouldn't that be great

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: May 14, 2014 22:19

I'd like to hear Jagger do "It Was A Very Good Year"..

Posted by: SadDayBadDay ()
Date: May 14, 2014 22:21

DaveG

Excellent move...I think more posters should do a preventative self-dissing when recognizing their own subpar post, thus disabling those who would pounce on it themselves.

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: May 14, 2014 22:48

duke richardson
I'd like to hear Jagger do "It Was A Very Good Year"..

Or That's Life

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: May 14, 2014 22:53

Saw him in concert in 1982 and really enjoyed it.

Don't know if the OP realizes it, but Frank passed away 16 years ago today.

Date: May 14, 2014 23:48

SadDayBadDay
DaveG

Excellent move...I think more posters should do a preventative self-dissing when recognizing their own subpar post, thus disabling those who would pounce on it themselves.

Are you suggesting this was a subpar post?!?

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: May 14, 2014 23:54

From a Jay McInerney profile of Mick in a 1985 Esquire Magazine, when Mick is flipping through a copy of the New York Times Book Review and runs across a review of a Frank Sinatra biography:

MCINERNEY: "Do you like Sinatra?"

JAGGER: "Hate him."

MCINERNEY: "Why?"

JAGGER: "He's not much of a role model, is he? I don't like his music very much, either."

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: May 14, 2014 23:56

Don't know about the Stones, but I do think about The Beatles sometimes in connnection to Sinatra. Always remember my Mother's comment about the crowds of girls going crazy for the Beatles - "you should have heard them screaming for Frank."

Date: May 15, 2014 00:14

DaveG
SadDayBadDay
DaveG

Yours? Well, I was giving you credit for suggesting it. Well-done!

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: May 15, 2014 00:17

this thread title suggests another one, which is how I mis-read this one -

'Stones reminded me of the Stones'..

Date: May 15, 2014 00:21

Like Charlie said, any time the Stones perform now it's special, and could be the last one. Even if it all comes to an end tomorrow we could then look back to last summer to Glastonbury and Hyde Park and say that they truly did go out on fire in a blaze of glory. Even Keith's words to the Hyde Park crowd about it being a "hot time in the old city" would then have a much deeper meaning attached to them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-15 00:24 by ThickerThanThieves.

Date: May 15, 2014 00:27

Brilliant thoughts, thanks for that. Looking forward even more now to see them in Zürich and Düsseldorf. Cheers, DaveG.

Date: May 15, 2014 00:38

SadDayBadDay
DaveG
SadDayBadDay
DaveG

That's what I thought you meant. Thanks!

Yours? Well, I was giving you credit for suggesting it. Well-done!

Date: May 15, 2014 00:45

You bet. And, given the accuracy of your assessment, it precluded my ability to pounce on it for the mediocrity that it was. Again - brilliant maneuver on your part.

Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: May 15, 2014 00:51

Loved your message Dave. Well said.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 15, 2014 01:14

....Franky singin' CSBlues ta Judy Garland would a good one ta witness....AHHH

ROCKMAN

Posted by: rob51 ()
Date: May 15, 2014 01:32

I know where your coming from Dave and I agree wholeheartedly. Amazing that the Rolling Stones that same actual band minus a few original members is still around at all! And that they can still pack venues all over the world even when way past their prime is nothing short of incredible. Like you pointed out they are not the band they once were. How could they be at over 70yrs of age? BB King can sit and play a set and nobody's going to wonder or complain. Jagger can't do that and he wouldn't, but they set their own high bar and never again will they manage to attain it. They still do a remarkably great job though and you've really got to credit them for that.
Personally though, I kinda lost interest after 1981 and never could muster the interest I once felt for this great band. I can't say I've cared much for any record since Tattoo You except Stripped, and I'd never pay the new prices to see them at this stage of their career. I saw them closer to their peak and that's the way I'd like to remember them. Thanks.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 15, 2014 01:36

....ya should get out more rob ... even if it's snowin' ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: May 15, 2014 01:49

latebloomer
I do think about The Beatles sometimes in connnection to Sinatra.

According to the 2007 book Can't Buy Me Love the Beatles song AND YOU BIRD CAN SING is John Lennon's dig against Sinatra. Lennon didn't like what Sinatra's PR man said about the Beatles in the Gay Talese article titled Frank Sinatra Has a Cold (an Esquire article that's assigned reading for American journalism majors today).

Posted by: Jimmy C ()
Date: May 15, 2014 01:53

I remember reading a story back in the 80s in a tabloid maybe that Frank and Mick were on the same elevator in a hotel, and Frank didn't acknowledge Mick at all. And when Mick left the elevator, he mockingly sang "he did it his way" or something to that effect.

Can't find it online but I swear I read that somewhere years ago.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: May 15, 2014 01:56

Title5Take1
latebloomer
I do think about The Beatles sometimes in connnection to Sinatra.

According to the 2007 book Can't Buy Me Love the Beatles song AND YOU BIRD CAN SING is John Lennon's dig against Sinatra. Lennon didn't like what Sinatra's PR man said about the Beatles in the Gay Talese article titled Frank Sinatra Has a Cold (an Esquire article that's assigned reading for American journalism majors today).

Yep, had to read that one myself in college. Amid rumors that Ronan Farrow is really Sinatra's son, The New York Times tried to be cute by sneaking in a reference to that article in their profile of Ronan Farrow last year..."Ronan Farrow has a cold."

As I recall, Keith had some nice things to say about Frank in LIFE.

Posted by: thegroove ()
Date: May 15, 2014 01:59

Sinatra was known to do Beatles tunes now and then in his later years.Once he introduced Something by saying it was the best song written by Lennon/McCartney.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: May 15, 2014 02:31

Jimmy C
I remember reading a story back in the 80s in a tabloid maybe that Frank and Mick were on the same elevator in a hotel, and Frank didn't acknowledge Mick at all. And when Mick left the elevator, he mockingly sang "he did it his way" or something to that effect.

Can't find it online but I swear I read that somewhere years ago.

I was once in a flower shop with Frank Sinatra and he didn't acknowledge me. So that's one degree of separation from Mick! cool smiley Except I didn't sing.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 15, 2014 02:32

thegroove
Sinatra was known to do Beatles tunes now and then in his later years.Once he introduced Something by saying it was the best song written by Lennon/McCartney.

I think the introduction had to so with his acknowledging the death of Lennon, and he mistakenly when he mistakenly introduced 'Something' as a Lennon/McCartney tune.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: May 15, 2014 03:40

I could be wrong because I never saw Sinatra in person, young, middle-aged, or old, but from what I heard he was much, much further past his date of expiration of vocal performance than Mick is, in hitting the notes, and holding the notes, for example.

Frank was known as the greatest singer or interpreter of lyrics in pop music so he had further to fall in some ways. Mick has adapted his voice over the years, taken vocal coaching and such. His front man skills of movement and relating to the audience are at least partly separate from his voice and song renderings.

It's hard to compare a solo artist to a band.

Yeah, I'd like to hear Mick sing a classic Sinatra tune or two..."When I was 21, it was a very good year..."
Oh, yeah, it was. cool smiley Or maybe "Start spreading the news"...Mick turns to Keith and Ronnie...
"I'm leaving today", as he smiles at Charlie, keeping the beat.

~"Love is Strong"~

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-15 03:43 by angee.

Posted by: carlorossi ()
Date: May 15, 2014 04:29

treaclefingers

Ha! I wish there was video with this, as Piscopo's physical impression is pretty good too. This is Joe Piscopo as Frank, doing, among others, "Under my Thumb". UMT starts at 1:20 in the medley, but the rest is worth listening to as well.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1877
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home