Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4445464748495051525354...LastNext
Current Page: 49 of 61
Re: OT: World Cup 2014
Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: July 11, 2014 11:52

Palace Revolution 2000
I think Argentina is actually the favorite.

Argentina the favourite? I certainly hope so. That will take the heat off Germany. Let's just hope that it is a better game than the 1990 final which was the 2nd worst final in WC history after Brazil v Italy in 94.

Date: July 11, 2014 11:55

Silver Dagger - for various reasons I didn't catch either of those '90's finals. Why were they so lame?

Date: July 11, 2014 11:57

Both sides cancelled each other out in the midfield. There was no 'air' or space to move around. They were both completely tactical games, like a phyical gameofchess. The strikers were suffocated of supply from the midfieldand it just led to boring games that were decided by penalties - one during the 90 minutes (1990) and the other after extra time.

Posted by: Gooo ()
Date: July 11, 2014 12:15

That Argentina's style

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: July 11, 2014 12:17

Yes, the moral imperative would be for Germany to win. All in all they produce a more attractive style of football. I like the neat interaction between midfield and strikers.
Of course Argentina has Messi, maybe the best football player in the world. He can settle a match on his own. The question is whether Germany will allow that.

Date: July 11, 2014 12:18

Exactly, Stoneage.

Date: July 11, 2014 13:21

Even speaking as an Englishman, Germany definitely deserve to win this World Cup and I hope they do it.

The German team has been developing for years, playing attractive, attacking football and getting to the latter stages of big tournaments. They now deserve this title to go with all that work.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 11, 2014 15:48

Silver Dagger
Palace Revolution 2000
I think Argentina is actually the favorite.

Argentina the favourite? I certainly hope so. That will take the heat off Germany. Let's just hope that it is a better game than the 1990 final which was the 2nd worst final in WC history after Brazil v Italy in 94.

Actually Germany is the big favourite, so the heat stays on:

[linemakers.sportingnews.com]

and

[www.abc.net.au]

and

[www.ibtimes.com]

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: July 11, 2014 15:58

Lesson one: It's very hard for any other nation than Brazil, Italy, Germany or Argentina to actually win the World Cup.

Date: July 11, 2014 16:10

Stoneage
Lesson one: It's very hard for any other nation than Brazil, Italy, Germany or Argentina to actually win the World Cup.

Lesson one is also something that you learn while your young, and that is the winning the cup just keeps getting harder and harder.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: July 11, 2014 16:40

treaclefingers
kleermaker
treaclefingers
I can't imagine the Dutch will want to be beaten by the Brazilian team that were eviscerated days before, nor do I think the Brazilian team will let that happen again, and will be trying for a big game to save some face.

Saturday's game could be more fun to watch than Sunday's!

I really hope you're right treacle, but you don't know anything about the Dutch approach of the 'little' or as we call it here 'consolation' finale. I think most even think it's the Trauer Final, to say it in German.

You're right, I don't know about that...however I think Brazil will come out swinging and that will leave Netherlands with a choice of either being beaten, proving they didn't deserve to be there, or to play hard, to prove to their country they deserved to win.

Treacle, you don't have any affinity with the world of football, the customs, the unwritten rules. Of course Brazil is motivated, the Dutch aren't. Brazil isn't able to play swinging football anyway. Anyhow, in the WC football only the first place counts. It's not the Olympic Games, but totally different.

Date: July 11, 2014 16:43

Stoneage

Unless of course you're Spain who won a World Cup sandwiched between two Euro titles. 2008, 2010, 2012. No other team has achived three major titles in a row.

Date: July 11, 2014 16:46

kleermaker
treaclefingers
kleermaker
treaclefingers
I can't imagine the Dutch will want to be beaten by the Brazilian team that were eviscerated days before, nor do I think the Brazilian team will let that happen again, and will be trying for a big game to save some face.

I really hope you're right treacle, but you don't know anything about the Dutch approach of the 'little' or as we call it here 'consolation' finale. I think most even think it's the Trauer Final, to say it in German.

You're right, I don't know about that...however I think Brazil will come out swinging and that will leave Netherlands with a choice of either being beaten, proving they didn't deserve to be there, or to play hard, to prove to their country they deserved to win.

Treacle, you don't have any affinity with the world of football, the customs, the unwritten rules. Of course Brazil is motivated, the Dutch aren't. Brazil isn't able to play swinging football anyway. Anyhow, in the WC football only the first place counts. It's not the Olympic Games, but totally different.

Hi kleer,

While the 3rd place play off is usually of no consequence because of its meaningless title this time round I think the match itself will be very good.

Brazil needs to show the world that it has not lost face and is still a great football nation and Holland will relish a match in which they can totally play their usual free-flowing football. I for one am really looking forward to it.

Date: July 11, 2014 16:51

kleermaker
treaclefingers
kleermaker
treaclefingers

DAMN!

I was trying to get up to speed reading all the rules, and now I find out there a bunch of unwritten rules!

Where do I read up on the unwritten rules?

Date: July 11, 2014 17:07

treaclefingers
kleermaker
treaclefingers
kleermaker
treaclefingers

DAMN!

I was trying to get up to speed reading all the rules, and now I find out there a bunch of unwritten rules!

Where do I read up on the unwritten rules?

Very good. smileys with beer

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: July 11, 2014 17:12

Stoneage

Spain did it smoking smiley

Date: July 11, 2014 17:12

treaclefingers
Stoneage

Lesson one is also something that you learn while your young, and that is the winning the cup just keeps getting harder and harder.

Life just goes on and on...

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: July 11, 2014 17:35

Silver Dagger
Brazil needs to show the world that it has not lost face and is still a great football nation and Holland will relish a match in which they can totally play their usual free-flowing football. I for one am really looking forward to it.

It would not surprise me if Van Gaal will bring up a team of the young players and
regard this match as a training session.
Depay, Lens, Fer, Clasy, Janmaat, Verhaeg, Veltman, Kongolo, De Vrij might be in the team tomorrow.
That's what I would do anyway.

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Date: July 11, 2014 17:43

marcovandereijk
Silver Dagger

It would not surprise me if Van Gaal will bring up a team of the young players and
regard this match as a training session.
Depay, Lens, Fer, Clasy, Janmaat, Verhaeg, Veltman, Kongolo, De Vrij might be in the team tomorrow.
That's what I would do anyway.

Nothing to lose, no fear and quite possibly a victory therefore.

Date: July 11, 2014 18:30

DandelionPowderman
treaclefingers
Stoneage

Life just goes on and on...

cue mariachi band

Posted by: BroomWagon ()
Date: July 11, 2014 18:54

Koen

I really think the Old Man Aragones had a lot to do with Spain's success.

To be fair, Spain got a bit of a bad deal vs. France in 2006 and to be honest again, in the 2008 final, poor Michael Ballack got bloodied by the Spanish player, in this case, Brazilian born Marcos Senna. This is the kind of stuff that sets me off about footy. Good match, Spain was the best team but even they aren't immune from some of this. Too bad at the upper-level, this stuff goes on.

Still, I think Spain's success has as much to do with the old man as anyone, he was quite a manager.

And España easily can target the next Euro and redeem themselves the same as Brazil can try to redeem themselves in the relatively near future as well.

Humiliation can be Brazil's salvation in the longrun

And Luis Suarez is off to Barcelona for 75 million pounds. Done deal it sounds like.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: July 11, 2014 18:55

NME News July 10, 2014 17:55

"Mick Jagger laughs off claims he is to blame from Brazil's 7-1 World Cup defeat
Rolling Stones frontman says he is not a 'jinx' on teams at the tournament

Mick Jagger has laughed off the suggestion that he acted as a "jinx" on the Brazilian national football team as they lost 7-1 to Germany in their World Cup semi-final earlier this week.

Jagger has endured a six-game losing streak at the World Cup since 2010, publicly endorsing countries who then go on to lose games. It even led to Brazil fans dressing cut-outs of The Rolling Stones singer in the colours of Chile and Colombia before their matches against those countries. But they lost when Jagger and his son Lucas attended the Germany game on Tuesday night (July 8).

However, in a statement issued to NME, Jagger dismissed the story about him being a jinx at the World Cup and stated: "OK, I take responsibility for the first German goal… but not the other 6!"

Jagger has been dubbed "The Angel Of Doom" by upset Brazilians, while TV station R7 called him “the biggest jinx in history” following the 7-1 thrashing, which was both Brazil’s biggest-ever defeat and the heaviest loss in a World Cup semi-final in the tournament’s 84-year history.

At the current World Cup, Jagger tweeted the England team a good luck message before they lost 2-1 to Italy, then announced during a Rolling Stones gig in Lisbon that Portugal would win the tournament. Portugal failed to reach the second round, as did Italy after Jagger said at a Stones show in Rome that Italy would win their vital group game against Uruguay. Italy lost 1-0."

Date: July 11, 2014 19:26

Irix
NME News July 10, 2014 17:55

"Mick Jagger laughs off claims he is to blame from Brazil's 7-1 World Cup defeat
Rolling Stones frontman says he is not a 'jinx' on teams at the tournament

Mick Jagger has laughed off the suggestion that he acted as a "jinx" on the Brazilian national football team as they lost 7-1 to Germany in their World Cup semi-final earlier this week.

Jagger has endured a six-game losing streak at the World Cup since 2010, publicly endorsing countries who then go on to lose games. It even led to Brazil fans dressing cut-outs of The Rolling Stones singer in the colours of Chile and Colombia before their matches against those countries. But they lost when Jagger and his son Lucas attended the Germany game on Tuesday night (July 8).

However, in a statement issued to NME, Jagger dismissed the story about him being a jinx at the World Cup and stated: "OK, I take responsibility for the first German goal… but not the other 6!"

Jagger has been dubbed "The Angel Of Doom" by upset Brazilians, while TV station R7 called him “the biggest jinx in history” following the 7-1 thrashing, which was both Brazil’s biggest-ever defeat and the heaviest loss in a World Cup semi-final in the tournament’s 84-year history.

At the current World Cup, Jagger tweeted the England team a good luck message before they lost 2-1 to Italy, then announced during a Rolling Stones gig in Lisbon that Portugal would win the tournament. Portugal failed to reach the second round, as did Italy after Jagger said at a Stones show in Rome that Italy would win their vital group game against Uruguay. Italy lost 1-0."

I think this whole thing is hysterical and I love Mick taking credit for the first German goal.

I'm not sure how it's being played in the press in Brazil, but if it's seen as anything more than a joke, I think they need to look inwards for blame.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: July 11, 2014 19:50

That gotta hurt...

[sports.yahoo.com]

Date: July 11, 2014 19:59

Koen
That gotta hurt...

[sports.yahoo.com]

he's such an *sshole.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: July 11, 2014 20:52

BroomWagon
Koen

I really think the Old Man Aragones had a lot to do with Spain's success.

To be fair, Spain got a bit of a bad deal vs. France in 2006 and to be honest again, in the 2008 final, poor Michael Ballack got bloodied by the Spanish player, in this case, Brazilian born Marcos Senna. This is the kind of stuff that sets me off about footy. Good match, Spain was the best team but even they aren't immune from some of this. Too bad at the upper-level, this stuff goes on.

Still, I think Spain's success has as much to do with the old man as anyone, he was quite a manager.

And España easily can target the next Euro and redeem themselves the same as Brazil can try to redeem themselves in the relatively near future as well.

Humiliation can be Brazil's salvation in the longrun

And Luis Suarez is off to Barcelona for 75 million pounds. Done deal it sounds like.

More stupid you behave, more succes you have - that's todays reality World. Next US, French, German etc. president must have participated in BigBrother, X-Factor, Idol or similar - else not elected.

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: July 11, 2014 22:28

Maradona left after 45 minutes of bad playing Argentina in one of their early games, now they got in the finals Maradona is all over in the media.
Germany will win the finalgrinning smiley

Ticket Scalping...
Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: July 11, 2014 09:12

See

[www.brisbanetimes.com.au]

Perhaps we should call in FIFA (of all organisations!) to investigate how tickets to Stones' concerts are scalped!

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: July 12, 2014 01:16

Sod the football, I miss the cool Google graphics. sad smiley

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4445464748495051525354...LastNext
Current Page: 49 of 61

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1762
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home