Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3233343536373839404142...LastNext
Current Page: 37 of 61
Re: OT: World Cup 2014
Posted by: Gooo ()
Date: July 7, 2014 13:39

Dutch r a much better team, who will cover messi is the question

Posted by: dead.flowers ()
Date: July 7, 2014 13:44

right from the start of the Cup
my bet's been

Germany - Holland

winner ... Holland

for they deserve it

Een Prinse van Oranje
ben ik, vrij, onverveerd ...

(I'm not Dutch, I'm just a fellow-traveller.)

Cheers all

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: July 7, 2014 14:23

dandelion1967
tioms
The Belgians were as good as the Argentinas.
Only that lucky goal in beginning of the match.
Argentine didn't want to play a normal match becouse they only want to take time and defensive play.
Not seen a great Argentina, even Messi??? Was he on the field?
tioms, from Belgium,

Belgium? What? This team was supposed to be "grat play" and not even manage to have goal chances seriuosly. Mid- to low class team. Argentina showed the guts needed at this stage: goal, good deensive system and Messi. Belgium? Haha. You guys did a much better job in 1986, and we all know how the tale ends...

..There were at least 2 clearly-cut, open-goal chances for Belgium - exactly the same for Argentina, who did score but hardly crossed the midline after that goal (9').

It was definitely a mid to low-class match; nothing to accuse Belgium for. And exactly how low the quality of their game was can be debated (though I'd agree about it being - way! - to little to make a genuine claim on the semi-final... and that goes for their achievements during the whole tournament, btw); but imo there's no debate about the anti-game Argentina has played in that quarter final.

Oh, and apparently you DID see Messi, didn't you!? Wow. Lucky you!

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: July 7, 2014 14:52

RoughJusticeOnYa
dandelion1967
tioms
The Belgians were as good as the Argentinas.
Only that lucky goal in beginning of the match.
Argentine didn't want to play a normal match becouse they only want to take time and defensive play.
Not seen a great Argentina, even Messi??? Was he on the field?
tioms, from Belgium,

Belgium? What? This team was supposed to be "grat play" and not even manage to have goal chances seriuosly. Mid- to low class team. Argentina showed the guts needed at this stage: goal, good deensive system and Messi. Belgium? Haha. You guys did a much better job in 1986, and we all know how the tale ends...

..There were at least 2 clearly-cut, open-goal chances for Belgium - exactly the same for Argentina, who did score but hardly crossed the midline after that goal (9').

It was definitely a mid to low-class match; nothing to accuse Belgium for. And exactly how low the quality of their game was can be debated (though I'd agree about it being - way! - to little to make a genuine claim on the semi-final... and that goes for their achievements during the whole tournament, btw); but imo there's no debate about the anti-game Argentina has played in that quarter final.

Oh, and apparently you DID see Messi, didn't you!? Wow. Lucky you!

It is excuseable for a "small" football country like Costa Rica to play with nine players
in their own box, not trying to make the game, but only responding to what the other
team is doing.
In a game between Belgium and Argentina, one would excuse Belgium to play like that.
No excuse for Argentina though. They won the WC twice. They are not a small football
country!
They have a forward who makes 20 million euro's a year!

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Date: July 7, 2014 15:02

Costa Rica waited for THAT chance - and they got it, in the 119th minute. They could have won it right there.

I didn't catch the Argentina-Belgium game, but I've seen enough World Cup-games with Argentina to understand how few risks they may have taken...

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: July 7, 2014 17:04

Stoneage
Apparently an American journalist named Ann Coulter has published a couple of anti-football columns in a right-wing newspaper.I won't replicate the content of it since it's to idiotic to be taken seriously but I have duly noticed it.

It was so ridiculous that it was funny.

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: July 8, 2014 02:45

Brazilians are now hoping Mick's boost for Germany.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 8, 2014 06:11

71Tele
treaclefingers
Rolling Hansie
Zero points for me in the prediction game for the last four matches. Maybe I should start predicting again what I expect, rather than what I wish smiling smiley

I should have played, I've predicted all the games since the knockout started.

OK, final 3 picks.

Germany over Brazil
Argentina over Netherlands

Germany over Argentina

Thanks, you just saved me alot of time.

I just didn't feel it was right to not share the information given I had it. Use it however you like.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: July 8, 2014 06:53

I go with:

Germany over Brazil

Netherlands over Argentina

I'll wait for the final pick after these matches. Injuries, red cards, etc. will play a big factor if they are relevant.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: July 8, 2014 13:08

Massive game tonight. Will Germany suffer a third semi-final heartbreak in a row or will the Brazilians rally without their talismanic striker and captain? Way too close to call.

Posted by: jpasc95 ()
Date: July 8, 2014 13:13

Come on Brazil !!
Please get rid of the Germans. I've never liked the way they play football.

and go ahead the Netherlands !

Date: July 8, 2014 13:56

Germans will destroy brazil aka the floppers

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: July 8, 2014 14:05

Gooo
Germans will destroy brazil aka the floppers

Yes and then Argentina will beat Germany 12-0 in the final with a quadruple hatrick for Messi spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Nate

Date: July 8, 2014 14:19

jpasc95
Come on Brazil !!

What problem do you have with the way Germany play football? Since 2006 they have played with attacking flair and passion. They showed that beating Argentina 4-0 and England 4-1 in their knockout stage games in the last World Cup. They try to score goals, not engage in cynical stalemate matches.

This time round they have been in closely fought matches with Ghana, Algeria, USA but you can't accuse them of being boring. Their only game so far that has resulted in an air-less game with few chances was the last one against France. Were any others of the quarter finals really better. I don't think so.

Date: July 8, 2014 14:24

1974 Argentina-Netherlands 0 - 4

1978 Argentina-Netherlands 3 - 1

1998 Argentina-Netherlands 1 - 2

The only dull moment was 2006, zero all.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-07-08 14:25 by marcovandereijk.

Date: July 8, 2014 14:26

Silver Dagger
jpasc95
Come on Brazil !!

What problem do you have with the way Germany play football? Since 2006 they have played with attacking flair and passion. They showed that beating Argentina 4-0 and England 4-1 in their knockout stage games in the last World Cup. They try to score goals, not engage in cynical stalemate matches.

This time round they have been in closely fought matches with Ghana, Algeria, USA but you can't accuse them of being boring. Their only game so far that has resulted in an air-less game with few chances was the last one against France. Were any others of the quarter finals really better. I don't think so.

I completely agree with you.
And your statement "since 2006" is valid for a serious time frame previous to that year, too!
As far as I can remember, Germany has had that very 'complete' & attacking style of footbal that you're referring to, with a distinctive flair & passion to it indeed, dating back as far as 1990... (though they've had their ups & downs as well.)

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 8, 2014 16:05

RoughJusticeOnYa
Silver Dagger
jpasc95
Come on Brazil !!

And your statement "since 2006" is valid for a serious time frame previous to that year, too!
As far as I can remember, Germany has had that very 'complete' & attacking style of footbal that you're referring to, with a distinctive flair & passion to it indeed, dating back as far as 1990... (though they've had their ups & downs as well.)

I wouldn't take him too seriously...I'm sure he won't post a rebuttal either as he wouldn't know how to defend his stance as it is probably more emotional than factual.

Date: July 8, 2014 16:08

A very frustrating Cup according to the level showed by all the teams.

If Spain would have kept exactly the same level as the last Cup that selection would have won 8-0 to each and every team.

The thing is that Spain has also been a disaster this time...grinning smiley

Good luck to Germany, Brasil, Argentina and Holland

Argentina should be the favorite for stones fans.....tongue sticking out smiley

Date: July 8, 2014 16:24

emotionalbarbecue
A very frustrating Cup according to the level showed by all the teams.

I agree about the level showed. But not with the frustration. Many games were very
exciting, even though (or maybe just because) many mistakes were made by all teams.
There is no team that excells. This gave chances to all teams to have their moment(s)
of glory. And in the end... (well, we all know what Gary Lineker sayd)...

Posted by: Greg ()
Date: July 8, 2014 16:39

Greg
I promised my son a smartphone and my daughters a tablet each if we would become world champion this morning. Think I'm gonna start to put money aside.

Excitement is growing chez Greg...

----------------------------
"Music is the frozen tapioca in the ice chest of history."

"Shit!... No shit, awright!"

Date: July 8, 2014 17:11

Greg
Greg
I promised my son a smartphone and my daughters a tablet each if we would become world champion this morning. Think I'm gonna start to put money aside.

Whi is 'we' Greg?

Date: July 8, 2014 17:23

treaclefingers
RoughJusticeOnYa
Silver Dagger
jpasc95
Come on Brazil !!

I wouldn't take him too seriously...I'm sure he won't post a rebuttal either as he wouldn't know how to defend his stance as it is probably more emotional than factual.

I assume you're referring to Dagger, yes? Well, I think he had a point.

Posted by: Greg ()
Date: July 8, 2014 17:42

Silver Dagger
Greg
Greg

Whi is 'we' Greg?

The orange team, we dutch tend to speak in the first person plural when it comes to football, probably because we’re such a tiny people. I promised my kids these things in jest hours before our match against Spain, when expactations were extremely low.

----------------------------
"Music is the frozen tapioca in the ice chest of history."

"Shit!... No shit, awright!"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-07-08 17:42 by Greg.

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: July 8, 2014 17:53

Greg
Silver Dagger
Greg
Greg

Whi is 'we' Greg?

The orange team, we dutch tend to speak in the first person plural when it comes to football, probably because we’re such a tiny people. I promised my kids these things in jest hours before our match against Spain, when expactations were extremely low.

Your bank account is safe,Argentina are going to win the World Cup spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Nate

Posted by: varilla ()
Date: July 8, 2014 17:56

Coming back to the Suarez affair i was wondering: 9 games out, 4 months suspension for a harmless bite to Chiellini, who continued to play with no problem at all, and Zuñiga from Colombia, after an assasin and coward foul that left us fans without Neymar and maybe Brazil without the world cup,and his colleague seriously injured, NOTHING...

Don´t you think something is not quite right?

As i said, biting is just not normal, but this giant fouls are for sure much worse (remember Matiudi breaking an african´s leg?: again no sanction...)

Stoneage said i have a screw loose....i don´t really know who´s screw is the loose one

Posted by: jpasc95 ()
Date: July 8, 2014 18:27

varilla
Coming back to the Suarez affair i was wondering: 9 games out, 4 months suspension for a harmless bite to Chiellini, who continued to play with no problem at all, and Zuñiga from Colombia, after an assasin and coward foul that left us fans without Neymar and maybe Brazil without the world cup,and his colleague seriously injured, NOTHING...

As i said, biting is just not normal, but this giant fouls are for sure much worse (remember Matiudi breaking an african´s leg?: again no sanction...)

Stoneage said i have a screw loose....i don´t really know who´s screw is the loose one
Matuidi didn't do it on purpose while Suarez did.
What's more, he has not been punished by the FIFA.
The intention makes a big difference.

Date: July 8, 2014 18:49

Can messi play against 11 Dutchmen ? I think not, Argentina needs more players

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: July 8, 2014 18:49

Suarez bit Chiellini intentionally while the ball was far away. Same thing with Zidane, who headbutted Materazzi when the ball was away, he got the red card. Big difference with all other fouls which are always made 'in the fight for the ball'.

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: July 8, 2014 18:54

jpasc95
varilla

Matuidi didn't do it on purpose while Suarez did.
What's more, he has not been punished by the FIFA.
The intention makes a big difference.

American "newbie" here (but I'm learning)... I agree with jpasc95. The intention makes a big difference. Not only that, but the Columbian/Brazilian incident happened as a result of a play that I've seen within the context of the match multiple times in the past three weeks. At times I've been amazed at some of the "ups" that these guys have. Here in the states we talk about baskeball players who can "jump out of the gym". Some of these guys at the world cup seem like they could clear the goal if they tried. While obviously varilla would disagree, in my mind, the Matuidi made a legitamate play on the ball within the flow of the game that ended up with a horrible result for Neymar/Brazil. Suarez acted like a little brat in a sandbox who gets upset and bites his playmate.

Now to go back & re-figure who I'm rooting for...
Brazil = Hometeam/Many big, unluky breaks (including the one above)
Argentina = Great player w/ something to prove & I think my brother-in-law & nephew are rooting for them.
Germany = Home of friends and "family"
Holland = "Wrong" color of orange uniforms and Greg's out some serious cash to his kids if they win.

Looks like I'm staying within my hemisphere for this one. Hopefully if I need some space on an European bandwagon by the weekend y'all will make space for me!

Greg -> Did you promise your kids that all that stuff would work? Be new? There might be some wiggle room for you to get out of if necessary! I know this because my grandmother promised my dad a Cadillac if he made the Dean's List one year in school. He studied real hard and actually made the Chancelor's List which was a higher honor. On the technicality, he didn't get the Cadillac.

Peace,
Mr. DJA

Date: July 8, 2014 19:23

Germans will destroy Brazil even if neymar was playing

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3233343536373839404142...LastNext
Current Page: 37 of 61

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1455
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home