Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2728293031323334353637...LastNext
Current Page: 32 of 61
Re: OT: World Cup 2014
Posted by: BroomWagon ()
Date: July 1, 2014 18:01

France has these players of Arab ancestry on their team, Zidane before, Benzema now.

Benzema was born in the city of Lyon, France to French nationals of Algerian descent.[7][8] He observes fasting during the Islamic holy month of Ramadan.[9] His grandfather, Da Lakehal Benzema, lived in the village of Tighzert, located in the northern town of Beni Djellil in Algeria before migrating to Lyon, where he eventually settled in the 1950s.[10

[en.wikipedia.org]

It seems the Moroccans, Tunisians and Algerians speak French.

Italy usually defeats Germany in these big tournaments, did at the 2012 Euro, in 2006 while Germany historically has a good record vs. France in these tournaments, won in 1986 in a shootout, won in 1982, I think in a shootout too. I don't think the two have met since '86 in the World Cup.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: July 1, 2014 19:09

BroomWagon
France has these players of Arab ancestry on their team, Zidane before, Benzema now.

Benzema was born in the city of Lyon, France to French nationals of Algerian descent.[7][8] He observes fasting during the Islamic holy month of Ramadan.[9] His grandfather, Da Lakehal Benzema, lived in the village of Tighzert, located in the northern town of Beni Djellil in Algeria before migrating to Lyon, where he eventually settled in the 1950s.[10

[en.wikipedia.org]

Italy usually defeats Germany in these big tournaments, did at the 2012 Euro, in 2006 while Germany historically has a good record vs. France in these tournaments, won in 1986 in a shootout, won in 1982, I think in a shootout too. I don't think the two have met since '86 in the World Cup.

Germany and France haven't met in the World Cup since 86. I'm sure it will quite a game.

Posted by: jpasc95 ()
Date: July 1, 2014 19:56

BroomWagon

[en.wikipedia.org]

there was no shootout in 1986 at all.
If there was any shootout, it was in 1982. The referee was bad and there was this enormous agression of the pig Schumacher against Battiston.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-07-01 19:59 by jpasc95.

Date: July 1, 2014 20:28

Silver Dagger
BroomWagon

[en.wikipedia.org]

Germany and France haven't met in the World Cup since 86. I'm sure it will quite a game.

Correct you are, West Germany: [www.thesoccerworldcups.com]

Really thought I could remember the French suffering over this in Mexico, I guess not.

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: July 1, 2014 20:46

Finally!!! ESPN Radio app is working on my cell phone! 86' minutes in and I can now listen to SWI v. ARG

T-minus not much until USA v. BEL

Is there something wrong with the fact that I think I'm more excited by the game than I am the Stones concert?

Feeling rater conflicted all of the sudden!

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: Quique-stone ()
Date: July 1, 2014 21:03

mr_dja
Is there something wrong with the fact that I think I'm more excited by the game than I am the Stones concert?

Feeling rater conflicted all of the sudden!

Peace,
Mr DJA

Nothing is wrong, you are starting to feel the passion (another new one!).

Time to answer your last question to me (before levaving Brazil): I live in Argentina.

All the best and keep enjoying this sport!

Date: July 1, 2014 21:16

Thanks Quique-stone! I'm having some fun that's for sure!

Trying to decide what I'm going to do after work today... It will be halftime of the USA match when I get off work and I can either:

a) drive home and miss the majority of the second half of the game but be home to get a head start on vaccuuming our swimming pool when the game ends

or

b) go around the corner from my office to Twin Peaks to drink and watch the match with Knoxville's equivilent of "rabid soccer fans"!

Decisions Decisions

Peace,
Mr DJA

I forgot: smileys with beer Here's wishing you a safe trip Quique-stone! SWI seems to be giving your team all they can handle right now. Extra time. Wish I could watch it but having fun with the radio!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-07-01 21:21 by mr_dja.

Date: July 1, 2014 21:48

mr_dja
Thanks Quique-stone! I'm having some fun that's for sure!

Trying to decide what I'm going to do after work today... It will be halftime of the USA match when I get off work and I can either:

a) drive home and miss the majority of the second half of the game but be home to get a head start on vaccuuming our swimming pool when the game ends

or

b) go around the corner from my office to Twin Peaks to drink and watch the match with Knoxville's equivilent of "rabid soccer fans"!

Decisions Decisions

Peace,
Mr DJA

I forgot: smileys with beer Here's wishing you a safe trip Quique-stone! SWI seems to be giving your team all they can handle right now. Extra time. Wish I could watch it but having fun with the radio!

Hard decision mate (have in mind Kelly will be waiting at Twin Peaks). LOL

IMHO Switzerland played better and deserved a better luck, at least to reach the penalties!

Date: July 1, 2014 21:56

Switzerland's header at the end hit the left post, off by inches, that was sad but Congrats to both Argentina and Switzerland.

Though a neutral, the crowd seemed to be against Argentina and in that, I sympathize with Argentina, most people there wanted to see them get beat.

Should be a good match between whomever wins the next match and goes on.

Best of Luck to Belgium, one of my standby teams and USA.

Date: July 1, 2014 22:00

Cristiano Radtke
Stoneage
Does the prediction include extra time?

Yes. I didn't know that until today.

Well I copied here the point rules just a few pages back...

Date: July 1, 2014 22:04

I was hoping that it would make penalties for Switzerland's sake. At least on the radio it seemed that Argentina was dominating for much of the extra time. At least until the injury time. Although it will be heartbreaking to watch, I want to see the point blank shot for SWI that hit the post in 120+. The radio annuncers went nuts at that point and I'd love to see what I missed.

Getting close to game time for my team... And you're right... Kelly's waiting at Twin Peaks and from what I understand, she's got a bunch of friends with her!

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: July 1, 2014 22:06

What Beer Goes Best With USA vs. Belgium in the World Cup?

[blogs.wsj.com]

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: July 1, 2014 22:17

So now we're down to 0-0 matches and extra time all the way. It's not a good sign. The samba football from the first rounds seems to be over...
Big football nations like Holland, Brazil, Argentina and Germany do not really deliver but wins in the end with a smallest possible margin. As they tend to do.

Date: July 1, 2014 22:24

Stoneage
So now we're down to 0-0 matches and extra time all the way. It's not a good sign. The samba football from the first rounds seems to be over...
Big football nations like Holland, Brazil, Argentina and Germany do not really deliver but wins in the end with a smallest possible margin. As they tend to do.

Question from the newbie: Is it somewhat typical in these tournaments that after group play where teams are trying to win position for the next rounds (and thus they're constantly working to score and win) that, after they advance, they tend to get conservative and start playing "not to lose"?

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: mariannerl ()
Date: July 1, 2014 22:28

BroomWagon
Switzerland's header at the end hit the left post, off by inches, that was sad but Congrats to both Argentina and Switzerland.

Though a neutral, the crowd seemed to be against Argentina and in that, I sympathize with Argentina, most people there wanted to see them get beat.

Argentina played in Brazil. What do you expect which will get support of the locals? Always the other one. Does not matter who is the other team.

I am swiss and....I am proud. Never thought that we have a chance.

Sadly it was Othmar Hitzfelds last game. His brother died today.

But you know there will be other games in future and hopefully Switzerland has to be count in.

Date: July 1, 2014 22:32

Pretty much so, DJA. And also it seems like the gap between "lesser" football nations and the big ones - like the ones I mentioned above - is smaller than what it used to be.

Date: July 1, 2014 22:36

mariannerl
BroomWagon

Argentina played in Brazil. What do you expect which will get support of the locals? Always the other one. Does not matter who is the other team.

But you know there will be other games in future and hopefully Switzerland has to be count in.

You are right about the rivallity between Brazil and Argentina, that won't ever change!

You got to be proud of your national team! Heads high and congrats!!!

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: July 1, 2014 22:37

mariannerl
BroomWagon

The played a outstanding game.............for a moment I though they win this one....grinning smiley pity though..........

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-07-01 22:58 by NICOS.

Date: July 1, 2014 22:42

I thought I had seen a bit of that so thanks for confirming it for me stoneage... I'll figure this out yet!

Good news for me & my team that the lesser nations are catching up with the big ones. I say that, but didn't I see somewhere that the USA was ranked by FIFA in "the teens"? Hard to think that when you're top 20 in the world you're a "lesser" team. Maybe we're not as "lesser" as I think we are. I just know that, in Basketball, Baseball & Hockey, I fully expect that the USA will compete if not win a championship. When it comes to international football, I don't have that same expectation.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: July 1, 2014 23:15

Wow - was that a boring game between Argentina and Switzerland. I think that the most dangerous team remains Holland.

Date: July 1, 2014 23:16

Good luck, DJA. Belgium is a good team though, it's going to be a hard one. What I always admired with American athlethes is their positive attitude and winning instinct. Hopefully we will see some goals in this match...

Date: July 1, 2014 23:31

Stoneage
Good luck, DJA. Belgium is a good team though, it's going to be a hard one. What I always admired with American athlethes is their positive attitude and winning instinct. Hopefully we will see some goals in this match...

Thanks Stoneage...

From what I can gather on the radio broadcast (which appears to be 3-5 minutes behind reality) Belgium is apparently FAST. Over and over again I'm hearing of the team speed of Belgium.

Thinking Twin Peaks is in my future... I'm not sure how good a driver I'll be with the game on my ear buds... For some reason I predict road rage in my future if I'm not careful!

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: July 1, 2014 23:55

Great first half between Belgium and the USA. No diving, very few free kicks and a will to attack by both teams. For how long can they keep up this tempo??

Date: July 1, 2014 23:59

DandelionPowderman
Great first half between Belgium and the USA. No diving, very few free kicks and a will to attack by both teams. For how long can they keep up this tempo??

Hopefully long enough for me to get home and catch the ending! Time to log out of the work PC and head home!

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: July 2, 2014 00:02

mr_dja
DandelionPowderman

Hopefully long enough for me to get home and catch the ending! Time to log out of the work PC and head home!

thumbs up

Date: July 2, 2014 00:08

Red Devils looking a bit sharper, but ineffective in the last quarter. USA has offensive qualities though when attacking.

Date: July 2, 2014 00:57

Please someone score. Two long games with just one goal so far today.

Date: July 2, 2014 00:58

"Another not boring" 0 v 0!
Extra time!

Date: July 2, 2014 00:58

How did he miss that shot?

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: July 2, 2014 00:59

Silver Dagger
Please someone score. Two long games with just one goal so far today.

It's a pretty entertaining game, though smiling smiley

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2728293031323334353637...LastNext
Current Page: 32 of 61

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1545
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home