Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

My apologies to His Majesty
Posted by: slew ()
Date: May 10, 2014 01:54

HM - I had not listened to TSMR in quite a while. I posted recently that the Lantern and On With the Show were crap. They are not crap I forgot how good they actually are, I really enjoyed 7 of the ten songs. I do not like either of the Sing this All Together's nor do I like Gomper. The rest is excellent. Sorry I referred to them as crap. However She Was Hot is still agreat song to me anyways.

Re: My apologies to His Majesty
Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: May 10, 2014 02:08

grinning smiley

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 10, 2014 02:19

...tell the truth slew ... ya dropped some acid....hhhaaa

ROCKMAN

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: May 10, 2014 02:28

satanic majesties is good.

songs i like are

shes a rainbow
citadel
on with the show
2000 light years from home
2000 man
in another land

the lantern and gomper are atmospheric and nice too.

sing this altogether rubbish should have been left out.

Date: May 10, 2014 03:37

I await the inevitable...

Date: May 10, 2014 03:41

I first heard the album circa 1968. I loved it then and I still do. Aside from the extended version of Sing This Altogether (and most of Gomper), I'd say it's a powerful record. Misguided but that's part of the charm.

Re: Satanic Majesties album
Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: May 11, 2014 03:26

The opening instrumental and verse melodies for Gomper bear a distinct similarity to the Velvet Underground song Lady Godiva's Operation, also released in 1967.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: May 11, 2014 03:38

Lady Godiva's Operation was released in 1968, but this is not the only song with some similarity between the two bands. My Obsession is a song that could've been recorded by the Velvets, I think.

Posted by: rob51 ()
Date: May 11, 2014 04:34

That particular record gets dumped on a lot but yeah your right, there is actually some really good music on it and I think it deserves more credit than it gets.

Date: May 11, 2014 04:35

True the White Light, White Heat album was released in 1968, but the material for the album came from ideas played live as they toured throughout 1967. It is possible that Mick may have seen them play live during this time. The melodic similarities between those two tracks are just too uncanny to be a mere coincidence.

Date: May 11, 2014 04:43

Everytime I listen to the album I am struck how much better it is than I recalled. "the Lantern" especially. But also the opening track.
"Gomper"s bad reputation comes from the jam. those opening vocal parts are beautiful.

Posted by: GOO ()
Date: May 11, 2014 04:57

Add we love you and dandelion and u got a gear lp

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: May 11, 2014 05:18

stonehearted
The melodic similarities between those two tracks are just too uncanny to be a mere coincidence.

That's right. I think exactly the same.

Date: May 11, 2014 10:18

His Majesty
I await the inevitable...

GOO
Add we love you and dandelion and u got a gear lp

There it goes.

One more still to come.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: May 11, 2014 11:04

Now if we only could have had Child Of The Moon in there...!

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: May 11, 2014 11:09

His Majesty
One more still to come.

But that one wasn't worked on until 1968, right?

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: May 11, 2014 11:19

No offense - I do not understand this thread.

Questions

1. Why the apology?
2. Why is SMR Album involved?
3. Why was Lou Reed referenced?

Date: May 11, 2014 11:23

Erik_Snow

grinning smiley

with sssoul

Correct.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-11 11:26 by His Majesty.

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: May 11, 2014 14:01

His Majesty
Erik_Snow

grinning smiley

with sssoul

Correct.

Now if they only could have worked on Child Of The Moon in 1967 already, in time for TSMR...

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: May 11, 2014 15:21

alimente
His Majesty
Erik_Snow

grinning smiley

with sssoul

Correct.

Now if they only could have worked on Child Of The Moon in 1967 already, in time for TSMR...

In that case, "Child of the Moon" most probably would have taken another approach and lost the transitional character that it now can be said to have.

During years when singles really counted, apart from possibility given from the question of dates, I am glad that "We Love You" / "Dandelion" and "Child of the Moon" were not included in THEIR SATANIC MAJESTIES REQUEST. By the way, I really fancy "Gomper". Both in itself, to me, behind a couple of others, one of the best pieces of the album, and as an ideal preceding track to "2000 Light Years from Home". Added: "Gomper" perfectly sets the mood for "2000 Light Years from Home" to move out somewhat in contrast from.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-11 15:28 by Witness.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: May 11, 2014 16:05

Slew I have one word for you : Bohica! >grinning smiley<

Posted by: geordiestone ()
Date: May 11, 2014 21:24

On With The Show for upcoming tour? Mick using a megaphone? Tantalising thought :-D

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: May 11, 2014 22:15

Witness
alimente
His Majesty
Erik_Snow

grinning smiley

with sssoul

Correct.

In that case, "Child of the Moon" most probably would have taken another approach and lost the transitional character that it now can be said to have.

During years when singles really counted, apart from possibility given from the question of dates, I am glad that "We Love You" / "Dandelion" and "Child of the Moon" were not included in THEIR SATANIC MAJESTIES REQUEST. By the way, I really fancy "Gomper". Both in itself, to me, behind a couple of others, one of the best pieces of the album, and as an ideal preceding track to "2000 Light Years from Home". Added: "Gomper" perfectly sets the mood for "2000 Light Years from Home" to move out somewhat in contrast from.

I dig "Gomper" too, but two takes of "Sing This All Together" is probably one take too much.

But what really still bugs me after all these years is that I still don't know the tracklist of the planned, but cancelled "We Love You"-album...any thoughts?

Posted by: SilverBlanket ()
Date: May 11, 2014 22:36

I'm in the minority here but id rather listen to Gomper than the majority of stones output post 1972.

Date: May 11, 2014 22:40

SilverBlanket
I'm in the minority here but id rather listen to Gomper than the majority of stones output post 1972.

Nice one, dad. winking smiley

Date: May 11, 2014 23:45

That snoring bit at the end of In Another Land. I can't help wondering if that was Mick and Keith being sneaky and slipping in their review of Bill's songwriting efforts. A five-snore review.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: May 12, 2014 00:27

stonehearted
That snoring bit at the end of In Another Land. I can't help wondering if that was Mick and Keith being sneaky and slipping in their review of Bill's songwriting efforts. A five-snore review.

If so, Bill should have countered by digging out the tape on which Keith recorded the Satisfaction riff in the middle of the night followed by 45 minutes of him snoring after he went back to sleep. grinning smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1516
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home