Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Semi OT-Trying to learn RW's Slide on Faces That's All You Need"
Posted by: Cafaro ()
Date: May 6, 2014 00:03

Hello all,
I've been losing what little brains I have left trying to figure out "That's All You Need" by the Faces. Some of RW's best playing. Love the song!

I'm tuned to open E. I have the intro down but when the slide starts..it's over!

I start at the 5th fret and then get lost. Nothing I do sounds right.

I saw a video on YouTube by "janmurf" but he's playing so fast and the resolution is bad, I can't see what he's doing.

Any and all help is welcome. I only get 60-90 minutes per week to play so I'd love to learn this before I die!

thank you!!1

Re: Semi OT-Trying to learn RW's Slide on Faces That's All You Need"
Date: May 6, 2014 00:39

Cafaro, it's in Open E. It is basically the same thing over and over. Im pretty sure Ron plays it an octave higher in the beginning. Like up in 17th fret territory.
Ron is kind of a messy player here. A lot of what you hear is drone of open strings. maybe why is sounds off to you is because you have to emphasize playing on the D string. the rst you throw in there.
If you are in E the riff goes from A (5th fret) to D (10th fret), and then the descending line A-Ab-Gb-E . ( that would be 5th fret, 4th fret, 2nd fret to open) That descending line sounds good on the D string. And the first 2 chords sound good full, using the high E. once you arrive dowbntown in The E you throw in some lines on the B and G string.
I know there's a rave up at the end. I cant remember it right now. Got to listen to song.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-06 00:41 by Palace Revolution 2000.

Re: Semi OT-Trying to learn RW's Slide on Faces That's All You Need"
Posted by: Cafaro ()
Date: May 6, 2014 17:04

Thank you Palace!!! It was indeed my inattention to the D string! I was playing all of the strings. His sound is so fat but once I started messing around with the individual strings, it started to come together.

It's a blast to play and sounds awesome through a cranked Mesa Mark 1!!

Thank you so much! You made my week.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1649
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home