Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Queenie and Carol Live 1969
Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: May 4, 2014 23:46

Holy crap is this good! Hadn't seen video of these two before.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-04 23:48 by 71Tele.

Re: Queenie and Carol Live 1969
Posted by: LuxuryStones ()
Date: May 5, 2014 00:17

I have, and good heavens, I even like the rhythm guitar. I never understood why Keith dubbed them.

Date: May 5, 2014 00:50

Could have been as simple as bad line signals...

Date: May 5, 2014 01:02

DandelionPowderman

... or out of control ego. Besides, on who's authority do we have it that he overdubbed those parts (besides Mathijs)?

Posted by: LuxuryStones ()
Date: May 5, 2014 01:06

Taylor is too low in the mix to me. That would have solved the problem, imo. But wtf, its 45 years ago, the posted clips still sound great, the entire band. I think Carol is original Taylor.

Date: May 5, 2014 01:08

There was a video revealing that, Tele.

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: May 5, 2014 01:18

From the bonus features on Gimme Shelter...

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: May 5, 2014 01:42

There are no cheap thrills here. The patience and restraint in each performance is very sexy and exudes confidence.

Date: May 5, 2014 01:50

pmk251
There are no cheap thrills here. The patience and restraint in each performance is very sexy and exudes confidence.

What, don't you prefer more "rock star attitude", when the guitarists run around the stage, pose and light cigarettes? smoking smiley

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: May 5, 2014 04:17

71Tele
pmk251

What, don't you prefer more "rock star attitude", when the guitarists run around the stage, pose and light cigarettes? smoking smiley

smiling smiley

Posted by: Stoneburst ()
Date: May 5, 2014 04:23

71Tele
pmk251

Hahaha, touché

Posted by: tornnfrayed ()
Date: May 5, 2014 08:23

Where have you been. They have been around for ages. I first saw it back in 1991!

Date: May 5, 2014 08:33

71Tele
DandelionPowderman

... or out of control ego. Besides, on who's authority do we have it that he overdubbed those parts (besides Mathijs)?

Yeah, let's wipe out some obscure rhythm guitar and keep the solos. Are you seriously believing that Keith felt threatened in any way by that rhythm guitar? confused smiley

Date: May 5, 2014 10:17

DandelionPowderman
71Tele
DandelionPowderman

Yeah, let's wipe out some obscure rhythm guitar and keep the solos. Are you seriously believing that Keith felt threatened in any way by that rhythm guitar? confused smiley

Not threatened. Just thought he could do better and couldn't resist a needless overdub on what was supposed to be a live record.

Date: May 5, 2014 10:29

71Tele
DandelionPowderman
71Tele
DandelionPowderman

Not threatened. Just thought he could do better and couldn't resist a needless overdub on what was supposed to be a live record.

If the recording mic fell over, or if the signal from parts of Taylor's track was muddled, it wouldn't have been needless. Parts of Carol were kept, btw - the small breaks in between the verses where he plays lead.

Even back then, live recordings always had post-production.

Posted by: janathmer ()
Date: May 5, 2014 11:29

71Tele
Holy crap is this good! Hadn't seen video of these two before.

[/quote

That's why I started the thread "Chuck Berry songs for the 2014 European tour".
From the first time I heard Little Queenie and Carol on Get Yer Ya Ya's Out I'm looking for live recordings of Chuck Berry covers by the Stones. By far the very best Chuck Berry covers ever!

Posted by: Powerage ()
Date: May 5, 2014 12:03

pmk251
71Tele
pmk251

smiling smiley

grinning smiley grinning smiley Raising arms and playing 10 notes per minute...

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: May 5, 2014 12:07

71Tele
DandelionPowderman

The authority should be your ears. Just listen to this version of LQ and the Ya Ya's version and it should be obvious the rythm guitar part is overdubbed on Ya Ya's.

The reason without a doubt is that Richards idea of the song, and of the driving rythm, is that it should be very tight. And Taylor's rhythm guitar isn't very tight, it clashes here and there with Charlie's drums (especially in the first minute, where Charlie has turned the beat around) and it interferes with Keith's rhythm guitar.

I personally think the video versions are fantastic, but I can understand Richards' need to replace Taylor's rhythm guitar for the album release.

Mathijs

Date: May 5, 2014 12:12

Well, in that case, thanks God Keith (and his ears) is not as demanding (finical) with Ronnie since 30 years !!!!!! winking smiley

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-05 12:14 by Powerage.

Date: May 5, 2014 12:30

Powerage
Well, in that case, thanks God Keith (and his ears) is not as demanding (finical) with Ronnie since 30 years !!!!!! winking smiley

He is. Listen to the second guitar on CYHMK on the Live Licks album (before the solo). Two open G-guitars smiling smiley

And listen to Waiting On A Friend on No Security. Mick's acoustic is now played by... Keith.

Date: May 5, 2014 12:32

Come on... cool smiley

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: May 5, 2014 13:04

DandelionPowderman
Powerage

He is. Listen to the second guitar on CYHMK on the Live Licks album (before the solo). Two open G-guitars smiling smiley

And listen to Waiting On A Friend on No Security. Mick's acoustic is now played by... Keith.

For both cases the overdubs are not done by Keith....

Mathijs

Date: May 5, 2014 13:09

Mathijs
DandelionPowderman
Powerage

For both cases the overdubs are not done by Keith....

Mathijs

Waiting On A Friend was done by Keith. I'm not sure if he played on the entire track, though. Listen round 2:38. That's gotta be Keith.

The original live recording:

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-05 13:17 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: May 5, 2014 15:00

Powerage

LOL!

Date: May 5, 2014 15:31

71Tele
Powerage

LOL!

Full of self-restraint art smiling smiley grinning smiley

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: May 5, 2014 18:12

Yes Tele, scary good. Thanks for posting those vids. Made my morning. That version of Carol for me is better than the one they used on Ya Ya's. Keith just nails it. The Berry numbers on the 69 tour were incredible highlights. On Queenie especially, the combo of Keith, Bill, and Charlie put out a bottom sound uneqauled by anything I have ever heard live since then.

You just had to get up and shake it...

Meanwhile we age and await a full/almost full concert video from that tour as filmed by the Maysles. It has to be out there. Please, just release this stuff before we are to old to hear or see it!

Posted by: Cafaro ()
Date: May 7, 2014 00:14

Hey Tele.......can you please post the link? My security software won't let me see it.
thanks!

Date: May 7, 2014 01:02

Cafaro
Hey Tele.......can you please post the link? My security software won't let me see it.
thanks!

Cafaro: Just do a YouTube search for Rolling Stones Little Queenie 1969 or the same thing for Carol. Cheers.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: May 7, 2014 01:30

The rhythmic barometer is Charlie's face, when Charlie smiles the rhythm is ace. winking smiley

Date: May 7, 2014 01:32

His Majesty
The rhythmic barometer is Charlie's face, when Charlie smiles the rhythm is ace. winking smiley

I love watching Charlie during the run up to the end of Queenie. He's swinging like mad, mouthing the lyrics, and his expression is one of pure joy!

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1441
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home