Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Memorial service for L'Wren Scott in New York Friday May 2nd
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 5, 2014 15:44

proudmary
Remembering L’Wren

The designer and stylist was one of the fashion world’s rare humorists.

By Simon Doonan

[www.slate.com]

What a great shot!

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: May 6, 2014 09:18

I wish there had been more articles like that about her--she sounds like a very entertaining person. smiling smiley

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: May 6, 2014 14:32

Aquamarine
I wish there had been more articles like that about her--she sounds like a very entertaining person. smiling smiley

Completely agree, wonderful article. Thanks for posting, proudmary.

Re: L'Wren remembered
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: May 6, 2014 19:18

proudmary
Jagger ... sang Bob Dylan's "Just Like a Woman," accompanied by piano.

Now I can't get this song to stop playing in my head.
Love and light to her, and to the Mick, and all kinds of blessings and well-being on him.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: May 6, 2014 19:55

In (apparently) related news Coldplay dedicated a song to Mick last night during their concert at the Beacon : [www.rollingstone.com]

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: May 6, 2014 20:33

Saying Goodbye to L’Wren Scott

I found the designer L’Wren Scott almost impossibly glamorous during our encounters, her perfectionism encompassing not only her imposing 6’3? appearance, but also her surroundings. There were the famous chicken potpies at her intimate luncheon fashion shows and the bouquets of deep red roses she sent with her handwritten thank-you notes. Beyond those things, which I experienced firsthand, there was the glow cast by her long-term relationship with Mick Jagger. Most impressive was Scott’s work itself: Her hourglass dresses were so restrictive yet so suggestive—so out-and-out fabulous—that images of Nicole Kidman and Angelina Jolie wearing them on the red carpet will remain etched in my memory forever.

The glamorous impression that Scott gave in life was reinforced at her memorial at Saint Bartholomew’s church here in Manhattan on Friday night—from the camera crews and celebrity watchers crowding the barricades outside to the actual stars lining the pews. What I learned from the service, however, was that beyond and behind her gleaming surfaces, Scott’s life was vivid and rich, and, yes, perhaps sometimes messy, too.

It was a real life. She was a designer and a stylist, as I knew her, but she was also a sister, an aunt, a lover, a confidante, a best friend, and even a Glammy, the name Jagger’s grandchildren gave her.

The evening’s speakers painted loving pictures of their experiences with Scott for the assembled guests. Five of Jagger’s seven children and two of his ten grandkids joined him at Saint Bartholomew’s. Keith Richards, Ron Wood, Julianne Moore, Meg Ryan, Renée Zellweger, Martin Scorsese, Lorne Michaels, and many magazine editors and other members of the fashion industry attended the ceremony, which was led by the Reverend Lynn C. Sanders. Scott’s adoptive brother Randy Bambrough, Ellen Barkin, André Leon Talley, Sarah Jessica Parker, Cathy Horyn, Rachel Feinstein, and Jagger himself all spoke, alternately bringing people to laughter and tears.

The moments that stood out for me were Bambrough’s story about the gymnastics recitals L’Wren organized for the neighborhood kids in her childhood backyard; Barkin’s memory of the time Scott declared herself godmother to Barkin’s daughter, Romy; and Feinstein’s regret at never getting around to painting the canvas she promised her dear friend. Horyn called to task a dress buyer who once wondered what business Scott had attempting to be a designer.

Kindness was one of the through-lines; a lasting sense of mystery about a woman who was fiercely private was another. In his statement after her death, Jagger admitted to struggling to understand how Scott could end her own life. Forty-six days later, he spoke at length about their lives together, sharing endearing anecdotes about their first date at Le Train Bleu in Paris (Scott apparently danced on the tables) and how she couldn’t identify “Gimme Shelter” from among several of the Rolling Stones’ many hits. After reading a poem he penned for her shortly after she died, Jagger announced he would sing. The song: a tender and emotional version of a Bob Dylan tune he said he had never performed before: “Just Like a Woman.”

—Nicole Phelps

[www.style.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-06 20:33 by proudmary.

Re: Just Like a Woman
Posted by: Beast ()
Date: May 7, 2014 15:54

That's a question for him.

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: May 7, 2014 15:54

No. Do you?

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: May 7, 2014 15:55

Absolutely not. If nothing else, let's keep it as cover free as possible.

Posted by: Captain Teague ()
Date: May 7, 2014 15:56

NO

Posted by: ROPS ()
Date: May 7, 2014 15:58

Not likely,The Stones have never been known for that kind of sirupy sentimentality ,people around them die,they pay their respects and move on....

"You know who l am, say it"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-07 16:21 by ROPS.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: May 7, 2014 16:16

I don't think it was a particularly good choice even for the memorial. I guess some of the lyrics fit, but it's a terribly sexist song, implying that women are weak, fragile creatures who are liable to "break" at a moment's notice, regardless of what the men in their lives do or don't do. Not unlike another hit song from that long-ago year of 1966. "Oh, who's to blame, That girl's just insane, Nothing I do don't seem to work, It only seems to make matters worse." See? He's blameless! Can you imagine a woman singing JLAW with the lyrics reversed? "He breaks just like a little boy?" It would be ridiculous, right? That's what makes it sexist.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-07 16:25 by tatters.

Posted by: Roll73 ()
Date: May 7, 2014 16:23

Yeh, great idea. Perhaps they can have a montage of photos too just to make it even more classy.

Posted by: spain73 ()
Date: May 7, 2014 16:31

IMO, her death is a private matter, nothing to do with a Stones show. I don't expect anything about it in the tour.

Posted by: ROPS ()
Date: May 7, 2014 16:32

Roll73
Yeh, great idea. Perhaps they can have a montage of photos too just to make it even more classy.
thumbs up

"You know who l am, say it"

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: May 7, 2014 16:40

No.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: May 7, 2014 16:41

spain73
IMO, her death is a private matter, nothing to do with a Stones show. I don't expect anything about it in the tour.

+1

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: May 7, 2014 16:46

Of course not. It would only be distasteful. And, besides that, a song not that popular among feminists.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: May 7, 2014 16:51

tatters
I don't think it was a particularly good choice even for the memorial. I guess some of the lyrics fit, but it's a terribly sexist song, implying that women are weak, fragile creatures who are liable to "break" at a moment's notice, regardless of what the men in their lives do or don't do. Not unlike another hit song from that long-ago year of 1966. "Oh, who's to blame, That girl's just insane, Nothing I do don't seem to work, It only seems to make matters worse." See? He's blameless! Can you imagine a woman singing JLAW with the lyrics reversed? "He breaks just like a little boy?" It would be ridiculous, right? That's what makes it sexist.

Jagger singing "But she breaks just like a little girl" at that special occasion is psychologically interesting. It says more about the singer than about the woman in question. It has in any case nothing to do with paying respect imo.

Posted by: gimmelittledrink ()
Date: May 7, 2014 17:02

I don't think most women think of JLAW as being sexist anymore. And, no, I don't consider "He breaks just like a little boy" to be ridiculous. What's so ridiculous about it?

It's a great song and a great choice by Mick.

Posted by: U2Stonesfan ()
Date: May 7, 2014 17:10

I think it would be nice to share it with the fans for the first show back only!

Date: May 7, 2014 17:12

kleermaker
tatters

Jagger singing "But she breaks just like a little girl" at that special occasion is psychologically interesting. It says more about the singer than about the woman in question. It has in any case nothing to do with paying respect imo.

kleerie, in the bigger scope that means that we are all human after all. We all break...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-07 17:13 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: May 7, 2014 17:14

gimmelittledrink
I don't think most women think of JLAW as being sexist anymore. And, no, I don't consider "He breaks just like a little boy" to be ridiculous. What's so ridiculous about it?

I think the same. My ex-girlfriend always told me this is her favorite Dylan song, and she is a feminist. I was looking for other opinions about this subject and on this post there's some comments about it.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: May 7, 2014 17:15

gimmelittledrink

Then why is it that when women cover this song they don't change the lyrics?

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: May 7, 2014 17:39

no

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: May 7, 2014 17:40

No. It was a memorial service song for L'Wren. Not a concert tune for us.

Posted by: Kaisan ()
Date: May 7, 2014 17:57

No, I don't think so. Like many others said before me, it was an song for L'Wren. I don't think that Mick is going to play a song for her every night. And, to be honest, the song may fit to a memorial, but not to a big concert.

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: May 7, 2014 18:01

For a minute there I thought you were meaning this...

I was about to be very offended.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: May 7, 2014 18:07

DandelionPowderman
kleermaker
tatters

kleerie, in the bigger scope that means that we are all human after all. We all break...

I think the meaning of "break" in the lyrics is not the same as in 'nervous breakdown'. It probably relates to breaking a relationship. Otherwise it doesn't make sense to me. Anyway the comparison with a little girl (so it is childish) is belittling and without respect in my eyes. As if breaking in the sense you interpret it is something childish. The line isn't after all And she breaks like a woman.

So I agree with tatters here, except that I would have written 'particularly for the memorial' instead of "even for the memorial".

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: May 7, 2014 18:17

I assumed Mick cherry-picked some lyrics. I hope he didn't use all them all, such as the "amphetamine and pearls" line, which wouldn't apply to L'Wren. That line was probably about Edie Sedgwick, who was a terrible speed addict.

The original "woman"?

Edie Sedgwick

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1509
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home