Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Regarding the man who yells Goddamn during MR
Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: May 2, 2014 15:36

Btw. I liked the Boot covers from William Stout (Welcome to NY) . .

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: May 2, 2014 18:31

That guy yelling Goddamn! twice in Midnight Rambler helped shape my life of saying that word loudly.

Oh the chick says, Paint It Black, Paint It Black you devil, not you girl or whatever that was.

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: May 2, 2014 18:54

shawnriffhard1
rob51
So much of Ya Ya's was overdubbed. All my childhood I believed this was how good the Stones actually were. Than I woke up and realized they'd never sounded that good in their lives and I had to learn to deal with that. Overdubbing most of their best ever live album really disappointed me and I never looked at them the same way again. Even the Rolling Stones were fake. I grew up the day I learned that and I still wish that day had never come.

Wow, the BS is flying hot and heavy here today, folks. As has been discussed in great depth here many, many times, the amount of overdubbing on GYYYO is extremely minimal. 6 tunes have overdubbing of the vocals, only one of which is substantial-JJFlash. This was due to MJ deciding that it should sound like the phrasing of the single rather than the way he sang it on the entire 69 tour.
The "But it's alright, yeah it's alright" as opposed to the familiar "But it's alllllright now" phrasing.

There are a couple of other small things, but all are done for technical issues; none to cover for any lack of excellence or to give a different impression of what actually took place. The audience tapes bear this out. The Rolling Stones actually were that un-freaking believable. Legend? YES; Myth? NO

I understand your irritation, but it has been researched to a microscopic level, and the fraud that you sense happened? It just ain't so. For all the smoking guns and spent shells forensic breakdown check out ChrisM's exhaustive work at-
[www.rollingstonesnet.com]
and have your beautiful childhood visions returned to you.

Well put shawnriffhard1. Excellent response. YaYa's is an incredible musical testiment as to what the Stones were bringing at that point of the 1969 tour, despite some minor overdubs. They had really honed that show/arrangements down to perfection. Don't diss the 69 tour. It WAS the shit.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: May 2, 2014 19:39

They were good between Detroit (Nov.24) and Boston (Nov.29). Before that I hear a band that's looking for the right formula.

Posted by: tklawson ()
Date: May 2, 2014 20:30

Blueranger
tklawson
Is she related to the Guy who yells "Paint It Black!" before Let it Rock?

The guy on Let It Rock does not yell Paint Y Black...
He yells Let It Rock!
Listen again...
I used to think he yelled let it rock, but after 50+ times listening to it over and over, he clearly yells Paint it Black

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: May 3, 2014 00:32

rob51
So much of Ya Ya's was overdubbed. All my childhood I believed this was how good the Stones actually were. Than I woke up and realized they'd never sounded that good in their lives and I had to learn to deal with that. Overdubbing most of their best ever live album really disappointed me and I never looked at them the same way again. Even the Rolling Stones were fake. I grew up the day I learned that and I still wish that day had never come.

Cheer up rob51, The Stones were just using the tools of the day and if the record sounded "that good" to you, how can you be disappointed? They have done plenty of shows, including some on these past years tours, where they sounded "that good" live, without overdubs, so go see a show and get your kid innocence back! peace

Date: May 3, 2014 13:39

GasLightStreet
That guy yelling Goddamn! twice in Midnight Rambler helped shape my life of saying that word loudly.

Oh the chick says, Paint It Black, Paint It Black you devil, not you girl or whatever that was.

LOL, you are right. I bet many here could say that.

Posted by: GOO ()
Date: May 3, 2014 14:30

Never heard crumb was asked to do a cover for stones

Posted by: JMARKO ()
Date: May 4, 2014 03:15

Listen to the two versions of Satisfaction on the Ya Yas box set.

No overdubs and complete domination. Not to mention two rather different versions -- and both different from the one featured in Gimme Shelter.

J

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: May 4, 2014 07:46

dcba
They were good between Detroit (Nov.24) and Boston (Nov.29). Before that I hear a band that's looking for the right formula.

Very true...they never really got it on until Detroit.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: May 4, 2014 20:16

tatters
kleermaker
scottkeef
Theres something on youtube about the woman who claims to be the one yelling out "PIB" but she was yelling that before the show started...guess they just thought it sounded nice spliced in right before
Sympathy"...

That's one of the reasons bootlegs are useful. She screamed before the show. Oh, and Altamont wasn'st like the movie suggests. The bootlegs don't lie to me (and you).

Why would someone yell out a song request before the concert, when no one was onstage?

Because it was yelled at Mick Jagger, who was waiting backstage to go on stage.

Mathijs

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: May 4, 2014 20:18

kleermaker
DandelionPowderman
rob51

Only some vocals and two rhythm guitar tracks. The Stones WERE that good.

Why did you believe that more was overdubbed?

And those overdubs didn't even improve the music at all. So the Stones were even better.

You're so full of bullshit.

Mathijs

Posted by: #6 ()
Date: May 5, 2014 02:14

The "hot damn" guy is the paternal uncle of one of my best friends - a native NY-er (as is obvious from the accent) named Eddie Weiss. I've met him a number of times and I personally have no doubt it's his voice.

He was at one of those shows for sure (a friend offered him a last minute ticket that night!!!) but I don't know which or how close he was, i.e. I wonder if they made it louder for the album.

At one for the shows in NJ at the end of 2012, me and the nephew were in the nosebleeds and nephew yelled same comment in the same place in MR...good stuff.

Posted by: Reagan ()
Date: May 5, 2014 17:49

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-05 17:49 by Reagan.

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: May 10, 2014 19:47

tomk
Blueranger
tklawson
Is she related to the Guy who yells "Paint It Black!" before Let it Rock?

The guy on Let It Rock does not yell Paint Y Black...
He yells Let It Rock!
Listen again...

There was a thread abut this. How did the that yelled "Let it Rock" kknow that they were going to play that song...unless it was someone from the stage...if that's what he said (which it sounds like). They only played it once on that tour, am I correct?

@ 55:54+ We have a PIB here too. Then, I love how he desperately yells "Anything!!!"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-10 19:53 by MingSubu.

Posted by: midimannz ()
Date: May 10, 2014 23:40

Rob51 nailed it, this was a moment in my early, early teens too that saw me embrace the music of the Rolling Stones. I saw the Gimme Shelter movie many times and after being tricked by Decca into buying the LP of the same name, was introduced to Ya yas. I too was convinced it was the greatest live recording of all time.

Posted by: blivet ()
Date: May 11, 2014 02:12

stonehearted
blivet
Title5Take1
Oh, incidentally, the Stones wanted R. Crumb to draw an album cover, and he turned them down.

Any more info about that? Why did he turn it down?

He doesn't like their music. Or any modern music.

“I thought their band was lame. I’m stuck on old music, from the 1920s and 30s — most of the covers have been for that kind of music, whether with contemporary people playing it or reissues of old records. I don’t care much for modern rock’n'roll. I did a cover for Janis Joplin, but she came personally and asked me. And I needed the money.”
--Robert Crumb

Thanks for that. I know Crumb doesn't care for rock and roll (or anything about the world after the 1930s, seemingly), but then he did the cover for Cheap Thrills, so I was wondering why he would do that and not do work for another band. Now I know.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1761
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home