Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Tuners on Keith's Tele circa 1972
Posted by: mrpaulincanada ()
Date: April 30, 2014 18:42

What's up with Keith's Telecaster here? This is a photo from Jim Marshall's book.

I don't think I have seen tuners like this, esp. on a Tele.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-30 23:02 by bv.

Re: Tuners on Keith's Tele circa 1972
Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: April 30, 2014 19:38

Thanks! Sure it isn't the photo playing tricks? Too glossy?

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: April 30, 2014 20:30

Probably special mod to accomodate his 5 string setup (i'm guessing). peace

Posted by: MILKYWAY ()
Date: April 30, 2014 20:54

when one thinks about ketchup especially the mushroom variety and manifestations of sorrow and the great why one does not have to look further than turnips and cucumbers a wonderful way to sit with spring peepers and marshmallow banjo strings while Uranus floats along its liquid heavens so it's with great trepidation cool whip silliness sings in my ear whilst a kazoo twitters madly along a velvet curtains to the empire, the smell of bubble & squeak wafting down the staircase of madness erstwhile a roll of nancy if you will or perhaps not lucy cried the milky tears of malaise as one wonders re: an adjournment from the heartache but erstwhile i hear smeagel calling out for precious i would consider a tangent along the lines of christmas cheer the cauliflower paperweight quickly melted a cold steam of tuna dancing along a creek or railroad poem chanting whether the debate will grow critics reply aghast though one asks mi'lady whether it all really matters anyway the depths of fan droplets mouth sways coldly, neither laughing nor even screaming the worst of it was laughing so hard his nose indeed her cheek lay sprawling three four two alpha charlie i cannot keep this cold saltwater dandiness and ink spots earache tusey potato crisps or is it chips when martha came at the tarmac the light illuminating cold milk and balloons ....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-01 22:30 by MILKYWAY.

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: April 30, 2014 22:46

Naturalust

First -> Good to see you around here again after not "reading" you in a while.

Second -> in reply to your actual post -> Yours would have been an early guess for me except for the fact that there are clearly 6 tuners and pegs and doesn't Keith normally remove the extra tuner and peg? I'd think that, by '72, if Keith would have received a special mod in relation to the 5 string setup, it would have been made with only 5 tuners & pegs.

Here's my guess - and I'm grasping as I've never seen anything like what appears to be in the picture: Possibly it was presented to Keith and the techs as something to help improve sustain similar to Strat players "locking" their tailpiece if they're not going to use the whammy bar.

C'mon Mathis, 71Tele, DandelionPowderman or DoomandGloom... Ever seen something like this before?

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: CBII ()
Date: April 30, 2014 22:51

mr_dja
Naturalust

First -> Good to see you around here again after not "reading" you in a while.

Second -> in reply to your actual post -> Yours would have been an early guess for me except for the fact that there are clearly 6 tuners and pegs and doesn't Keith normally remove the extra tuner and peg? I'd think that, by '72, if Keith would have received a special mod in relation to the 5 string setup, it would have been made with only 5 tuners & pegs.

Here's my guess - and I'm grasping as I've never seen anything like what appears to be in the picture: Possibly it was presented to Keith and the techs as something to help improve sustain similar to Strat players "locking" their tailpiece if they're not going to use the whammy bar.

C'mon Mathis, 71Tele, DandelionPowderman or DoomandGloom... Ever seen something like this before?

Peace,
Mr DJA

I think you're on to something. Especially on the sustain idea.

CBII

Date: April 30, 2014 23:36

Thanks for chipping in CBII. I can't believe that I forgot to include you in my list of call-outs of people who I thought might have seen something like this before!

This would have been a good one to send Pierre in Mathis' questions list...

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: April 30, 2014 23:58

Surprised no answers... I think these tuners are from a Fender lap or pedal steel...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-30 23:59 by DoomandGloom.

Date: May 1, 2014 00:01

It's a guitar he used for TD or Happy, no?

Date: May 1, 2014 00:51

DandelionPowderman
It's a guitar he used for TD or Happy, no?
If someone can photoshop a closeup of the plate where the neck joins the body we will know. My guess it's a 3 bolt neck and this is his alternate 72 Tele Custom. It's got a capo at the forth fret so that could be TD. There's one other song where he puts the capo there but I don't remember which. Many of the things we take for granted, pick up swapping, different tuners, neck swaps were still new territory in the 70's, Keith, Pete T, Steely Dan's Jeff Baxter, Eric Clapton... These guys were big on swapping parts. Clapton's Blackie is a parts guitar, Baxter was one of the first to stick a humbucker in a Fender. he worked on NY's 48nd street as a tech. These guys were into customizing their stuff before you could even buy a pickup by itself... Still can't place those tuner. I've seen them before, maybe one side of a Coronado 12 string???? They are Fender parts because the strings insert into the tuner shafts....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-01 00:52 by DoomandGloom.

Date: May 1, 2014 00:52

Well it's capoed on the 4th fret, so if we assume its in Open G, that makes it the key of B....which makes Happy or Tumbling Dice two good choices....

Date: May 1, 2014 02:59

Tried Photoshop zoom and did some image enhancements...but the image isn't of high enough quality to see anything....

Date: May 1, 2014 03:30

thanks… post it anyhow, lighten it up not much zoom needed..

Date: May 1, 2014 03:34

So it appears that the tuners are Grovers, that were used on Martin 12 strings in the late 60s, early 70s....

Still seems odd though....

Date: May 1, 2014 03:41

Here it is....

Date: May 1, 2014 04:21

Those are the back of the tuners but grover must have made these for Fender as well, it appears Keith's has Fender style shafts. Also the spacing would have to be exact from Martin to Fender so my guess Keith's are Grovers made for Fender.. This is a cool find Mrpaul. The plate picture is inconclusive but I think this is a circa '72 Custom.

Date: May 1, 2014 04:48

Yes, I would have thought it was a huge coincidence to have the Martin holes spaced exactly the same as a Fender...

Here is another version but there are the three vertical grooves on the back, so they are similar but different from the Martin ones...

Date: May 1, 2014 06:34

MrPaul I want these tuners. I'd try them on a Tele or Strat if I could find a set..

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: May 1, 2014 15:03

in 1972 fender tele's still had four bolt neck plates

Date: May 1, 2014 15:11

Sweet Catch Mr Paul! Thanks for sharing the knowledge! Now that we know the "what", I wish we could know the "why". Maybe if DoomandGloom can find a set and run a test we'll see if he notices any differences.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: May 1, 2014 17:16

TheGreek
in 1972 fender tele's still had four bolt neck plates
yes but Customs and Deluxes had bullet rods and 3 bolts

Date: May 1, 2014 17:31

There are a lot of these available on eBay....not overly expensive (IMO)

eBay Grover tuners $27.50

More eBay $59.99

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: May 1, 2014 18:26

mrpaulincanada

More eBay $59.99

Quite cheap actually -- but they don't have a split shaft safe-T post (as apposed to the Keith pic) which make them a no go.

mr_dja

No, they all have the 6 tuners even when strung with only 5 strings.
except for the Ted Newman-Jones guitars which where designed that way from the start.
different thing with the saddles.
the Telecaster headstock looks really goofy with only 5 tuners attached. I've tried it myself ... but no way. it looks so wrong.
I wrap a small rubber band to the one empty post to keep it from rattling.

Date: May 1, 2014 20:02

open-g
mrpaulincanada

More eBay $59.99

Quite cheap actually -- but they don't have a split shaft safe-T post (as apposed to the Keith pic) which make them a no go.

mr_dja

No, they all have the 6 tuners even when strung with only 5 strings.
except for the Ted Newman-Jones guitars which where designed that way from the start.
different thing with the saddles.
the Telecaster headstock looks really goofy with only 5 tuners attached. I've tried it myself ... but no way. it looks so wrong.
I wrap a small rubber band to the one empty post to keep it from rattling.

You are SO right! Where's the smiley with a forehead smack when you need it? As soon as I read your post and got to the word saddles my brain sceamed a major DOH! Ah the joys of a fading memory...

Good catch open-g...

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: xke38 ()
Date: May 1, 2014 20:47

This came with a beat up '56 Tele I picked up a couple of years ago (obviously not original to the guitar):

Date: May 1, 2014 23:08

Cool xke! Did you use the giutar while they were still on it? If so, could you tell any difference between these tuners and the originals?

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: May 1, 2014 23:44

xke 38.... I suppose Keith once owned the 56 Tele you possess, This is an unusual mod..

Date: May 2, 2014 14:52

mr_dja
Cool xke! Did you use the giutar while they were still on it? If so, could you tell any difference between these tuners and the originals?

Peace,
Mr DJA

I did, but it was in pretty rough shape and I subsequently had it restored/converted to an Esquire with an original '50s bridge pickup (the pickups had been replaced with newer ones), so I can't really comment on the effect of the Tuners.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-02 14:56 by xke38.

Date: May 2, 2014 15:07

DoomandGloom
xke 38.... I suppose Keith once owned the 56 Tele you possess, This is an unusual mod..

I hadn't thought of that, but now you mention it it's so obvious. It was also routed (actually, hacked would be a more appropriate description) for a humbucker in the neck pickup position.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: May 2, 2014 15:12

mr_dja
Now that we know the "what", I wish we could know the "why". Maybe if DoomandGloom can find a set and run a test we'll see if he notices any differences.

I think they are made of snake oil covered with foofoo dust smoking smiley

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2108
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home