Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: OT: Singers who can't sing anymore
Posted by: JuanTCB ()
Date: April 28, 2014 14:49

I think the situation with Stills is that he's so deaf at this point, he kind of looks/sounds like he's had a stroke. Kind of like Brian Wilson.

Michael Stipe sounded really rough on the last couple of R.E.M. albums. The fact that they were relatively stripped down and rocking only accentuated this.

I was surprised how good Paul Westerberg has sounded on the Replacements reunion shows.

Liam Gallagher has sounded like crap for the last decade, at least live. His voice got better on the last two Oasis records and the Beady Eye stuff from it's nadir in the early '00s, but live... he's on the fast track to Ronnieville.

Posted by: ash ()
Date: April 28, 2014 14:52

Stills has probably damaged his voice very very badly with all that coca cola although somehow Crosby pretty much got away with it. He's a jammy bastard Croz ! Stills also has extreme hearing loss and new teeth. None of this helps. Again, much of Stills work requires range and some precision so it's more noticeable when things go wrong.
Allan Clarke of The Hollies retired because he couldn't sing anymore. Great shame as he was a classic but all credit to him for realising he just couldn't do it and it was best to stop.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: April 28, 2014 15:23

Roger's voice is fine now. His laser procedure really did the trick.

I was saddened to see Ray Davies on Jools Holland and how much his voice has deteriorated.

Dylan's voice is all but shot.

Posted by: Ladykiller ()
Date: April 28, 2014 15:47

Bob Dylan

But I believe, that he could never sing in his life.

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: April 28, 2014 15:51

Exactly, LadyKiller!

Re: Singers who can't sing anymore
Posted by: oldschool ()
Date: April 28, 2014 16:33

RollingFreak
Surprised to see people say that about Robert Plant. Sure he's not like he was in the 70s, but he KILLED at the Zep reunion. He doesn't like to revisit that stuff, because its probably most difficult for him of everyone in the band, but he did it for the fans and for Ahmet and he did excellent IMO. And I was ready to judge him extremely harshly.

At the Zep reunion Jimmy tuned down a step on some of the more demanding songs to adjust for the fact Robert can't sing in the proper key anymore. They also made sure they picked songs he could sing with his current voice.

That being said Robert can still sing and I admire the fact he has made adjustments for his limited vocal range now.

Posted by: CBII ()
Date: April 28, 2014 16:34

From the looks of many of those that have posted about this topic, very few will be attending many live performances by these artists.

Tough room to work in...

CBII

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: April 28, 2014 17:42

CBII
From the looks of many of those that have posted about this topic, very few will be attending many live performances by these artists.

Tough room to work in...
These performers are not playing for free, attendees have every right to be critical if a singer doesn't reach expectations. A list of who's not worth seeing is fair game.

Posted by: scaffer ()
Date: April 28, 2014 18:10

Mick's range has increased since the '90's and early '00's. He has hit many high notes on stage that he would never have attempted in the '70's and '80's. Many, many bootlegs confirm this. His vocal range and interpretation in the studio are more ambitious (and successful) too, on both Stones and solo records.

I'm less sure about the current tour since I've only seen a few clips, but he seems strong vocally today based on what's on YouTube. It's just not true that Mick can't sing anymore - he's gotten better technically.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: April 28, 2014 18:21

Yep Mick's voice has held up amazingly well although it's lost the "warmth' it had in his youth though...

Joe Elliott from Def Leppard can't sing anymore, not that he ever was a great singer in he first place...

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: CBII ()
Date: April 28, 2014 18:22

DoomandGloom
CBII

Tough room to work in...
These performers are not playing for free, attendees have every right to be critical if a singer doesn't reach expectations. A list of who's not worth seeing is fair game.

Not questioning criticism, just making an observation.

CBII

Date: April 28, 2014 18:30

CBII
DoomandGloom
CBII

Tough room to work in...

Not questioning criticism, just making an observation.
Yup the people here are passionate fans that's why they follow The Stones who put out a truly professional show. The fact that they continually rehearse before each leg is testimony to their dedication to their audiences. So yes we are a spoiled bunch.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: April 28, 2014 18:34

Robert Plant's voice changed in '72/'73. It just took him a while to learn how to deal with it.

Posted by: Bungo ()
Date: April 28, 2014 19:25

The obvious choices: Dylan, Keith, Elton, Bruce...

Have to disagree on Ian Anderson and Joe Elliott tho Plant and Daltry and even McCartney simply take things down a key when necessary. As far as Mick I think his voice has held up but his phrasing and style these days is not as good as it used to be, methinks his hearing is damaged.

Date: April 28, 2014 19:27

Nothing wrong with changing the keys. Macca kept everything in the original keys until recently...

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: April 28, 2014 19:51

BluzDude
Robert Plant's voice changed in '72/'73. It just took him a while to learn how to deal with it.

That's when he had surgery.

And again, I don't think singing in a different key is remotely the same as not being able to sing anymore. As for Dylan, who ever thought he DID have a conventionally good singing voice, or listen to him because of it? His voice was idiosyncratic then, and it's idiosyncratic now, like everything about him.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: April 28, 2014 20:10

Brian Johnson´s voice has gone downhill over the last 20 years.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: April 28, 2014 20:52

TooTough

Are you saying he's a cat that's been stepped on one too many times?
...anyway, I don't really notice much of a difference in his voice.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: April 28, 2014 21:28

Tom Waits

Posted by: angee ()
Date: April 28, 2014 21:29

buffalo, I disagree about Art Garfunkel. Ever since I saw him at Carnegie Hall for the Stones cover concert, I've been saying he should hang it up. Maybe the song he chose, "Ruby Tuesday", was in the wrong key. To my ear, he couldn't hit the higher notes with any degree of confidence. His voice wavered so much, in and out. I guess he hadn't sung for a couple of years, sidelined by vocal problems. Maybe my expectations were too high. Then again, I was not impressed with many of the folks performing at the show. I had a good view, from one of the boxes...beautiful sound in there, of course.

When and where did you see Garfunkel last?

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: April 28, 2014 22:10

BluzDude
TooTough

Are you saying he's a cat that's been stepped on one too many times?
...anyway, I don't really notice much of a difference in his voice.

Depends if you want a schoolboy voice or a rock / blues voice. Wouldn't like to have schoolboy voice singing ac/dc music, blues and similar.

Re: Singers who can't sing anymore
Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: April 29, 2014 00:45

More Hot Rocks
Robert Plant - Changed his approach to fit his range
Totally second that. But doesn't that actually mean he can still bring it?

Posted by: Rollin' Stoner ()
Date: April 29, 2014 00:46

jim morrison

Posted by: sdstonesguy ()
Date: April 29, 2014 00:49

Pete Seeger

Posted by: sdstonesguy ()
Date: April 29, 2014 00:58

We have had several threads breaking out the guitarists who can't play guitar anymore...

In the end, it doesn't matter. People just want to see the living icon. As most here know, most people can't hear anyway...or at least aren't listening. Maybe they are more evolved...and have learned that a phone is the most interesting thing in the world at a concert (or anywhere).

Posted by: woodyweaving ()
Date: April 29, 2014 02:42

Can I just say although his voice was nicer (same with Keith) in the 70s, Ronnie Wood is a better singer now than he has ever been in terms of technique and ability.

Date: April 29, 2014 03:36

Saw The Who in Louisville last year, and I was concerned how Roger would hold up, especially singing Quadrophoenia stuff, but he lasted the whole show, and was as strong at the end as he was at the beginning. Quite impressed.

My problem with Mick now is that he DOES sing now. Something changed before the '89 tour, and I'm not much of a fan of it. Can't put my finger on it.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: April 29, 2014 04:04

If Mick sang now like he did in 75 or 78. We would think he was washed up.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: April 29, 2014 06:22

MidnightRambler1990
Saw The Who in Louisville last year, and I was concerned how Roger would hold up, especially singing Quadrophoenia stuff, but he lasted the whole show, and was as strong at the end as he was at the beginning. Quite impressed.

My problem with Mick now is that he DOES sing now. Something changed before the '89 tour, and I'm not much of a fan of it. Can't put my finger on it.

Jagger started to sing more like on the records starting with the 1989 tour. He seems to have cut out the booze and blow and adopted a strict training regimen.

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: April 29, 2014 08:45

I always preferred Pete's voice to Roger's, but that's just me.
Plant said he had an operation on his throat in 1974.
Even in '77. he sang Over THe Hills an octave lower.
What's wrong with John Sebastian's voice? Mind you, I havn't heard it lately.
Crosby has pretty much shouted for the last 20-odd years.
Losts of singers, when they take proper vocal lessons, kind of alter the way they sing, phrase, breathe. Micky Dolenz said when he took vocal lessons 'cause he had to do Broadway stuff night after night, it totally changed his outlook on singing.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2281
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home