Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: New Robert Greenfield book : '71 UK Tour
Posted by: MILKYWAY ()
Date: April 26, 2014 01:36

Thanks to the original poster for the heads-up on this book.

The concerts from that tour have a certain vibe. Perhaps a tape will surface from one of the March 9, 1971 Bristol shows. I heard it was a gas.

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: April 30, 2014 12:54

Amazon emailed me stating, the delivery date is being bumped up to May 7th instead of the 15th.

Posted by: mrpaulincanada ()
Date: April 30, 2014 19:00

Amazon emailed and told me that I am supposed to have this on May 1stspinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: April 30, 2014 23:08

that picture of bowie and hunter on the train is just too great-can you imagine what people thought? everyone has seen everything twice now but remember that was over 40 years ago.
they must've looked as if they were from anothet planet.

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: May 2, 2014 01:05

mrpaulincanada
Amazon emailed and told me that I am supposed to have this on May 1stspinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Barnes and Noble shipped mine today.

Posted by: mrpaulincanada ()
Date: May 2, 2014 06:41

Mine arrived today from Amazon.ca!!!

Posted by: Turd On The Run ()
Date: May 4, 2014 10:39

Cristiano Radtke
Robert Greenfield wrote an excellent article on the April 15, 1971 edition of Rolling Stone magazine about the Farewell Tour. I also read some excerpts of his book on the Amazon link and now I've preordered my copy.

Fantastic. I remember reading this when I was a teenager in a compilation from Rolling Stone before their 1975 Tour of the Americas. Thank you for the link. Great memories...one of the best articles ever about the Stones.

Posted by: RobberBride ()
Date: May 4, 2014 11:06

mrpaulincanada
Mine arrived today from Amazon.ca!!!

Tell us more! smiling smiley

Date: May 4, 2014 20:31

Date: May 4, 2014 21:14

Coming back home today, I found this waiting for me.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: May 4, 2014 22:43

MILKYWAY

The concerts from that tour have a certain vibe. Perhaps a tape will surface from one of the March 9, 1971 Bristol shows. I heard it was a gas.

Is it just a guessing or have you read/heard that somewhere?

Posted by: stonesstein ()
Date: May 5, 2014 05:19

Bobby Keys said they DID play CYHMK once in 71.

stonesstein

Kick me like you did before
I can't even feel the pain no more
Rocks Off, 1972

Date: May 5, 2014 06:59

Just finished the book. I enjoyed it.

It covers the '71 UK tour, some stories about Nellcote/Exile and Jamaica/GHS periods.

Very easy read and I like the way he italicized his hindsight thoughts.

Only minor complaint is that I wish he wrote more in detail, about the actual shows. Like setlists and the like.

Posted by: tornnfrayed ()
Date: May 5, 2014 08:27

STP is a classic. But Stones in Exile was awful. I can't believe this is better. I saw him talk a few years ago and was not impressed.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 22, 2014 01:51

Greenfield interview ....[live.huffingtonpost.com] ...... worth a listen

ROCKMAN

Date: May 22, 2014 04:11

Cristiano Radtke
MILKYWAY

Oh, that's just wishful thinking. To my knowledge, there isn't a recording of this show.

Did you perchance attend this concert? Or are you just a fan of that tour like me?

Date: May 22, 2014 04:48

Rockman
Greenfield interview ....[live.huffingtonpost.com] ...... worth a listen

Definitely worth it. Thank you, brother, for the link. This interview is a great supplement to the book.

Posted by: Starr ()
Date: May 22, 2014 15:43

TheBadRabbit says after this tour they never went back to the small shows - I remember seeing them play two performances the same night at Birmingham Odeon, (UK) in 1973...

"till the next time..."

Star

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: May 22, 2014 17:31

MILKYWAY
Cristiano Radtke
MILKYWAY

Oh, that's just wishful thinking. To my knowledge, there isn't a recording of this show.

Did you perchance attend this concert? Or are you just a fan of that tour like me?

Just a fan. smileys with beer

Posted by: Mr. Jimi ()
Date: May 25, 2014 21:44

I read it this past week. I love that era so anything Greenfield had to write was interesting. The exile stuff was a bit redundant and I think we all know much of that story . . . But for the love of God can we have some sort of confirmation on Can't you Hear Me Knocking and Wild Horses? I understand Wyman and Keys have said some things but it seems that this is the one tour post 1969 that is shrouded in mystery . . . On page 17 in the Chapter entitled-Newcastle March 4, 1971 Greenfield writes, "the Stones walk back on stage into a cosmos of light and noise for their first encore in three years, "Sympathy for the Devil" followed by Chuck Berry's "Let it Rock." Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa? Sympathy in 1971? Wow.

He also writes on page 95 that the Empire Theater shows in Liverpool were recorded with the mobile truck as they did in Leeds.

Any one can shed some light on this . . .

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: May 25, 2014 21:55

Mr. Jimi
I read it this past week. I love that era so anything Greenfield had to write was interesting. The exile stuff was a bit redundant and I think we all know much of that story . . . But for the love of God can we have some sort of confirmation on Can't you Hear Me Knocking and Wild Horses? I understand Wyman and Keys have said some things but it seems that this is the one tour post 1969 that is shrouded in mystery . . . On page 17 in the Chapter entitled-Newcastle March 4, 1971 Greenfield writes, "the Stones walk back on stage into a cosmos of light and noise for their first encore in three years, "Sympathy for the Devil" followed by Chuck Berry's "Let it Rock." Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa? Sympathy in 1971? Wow.

He also writes on page 95 that the Empire Theater shows in Liverpool were recorded with the mobile truck as they did in Leeds.

The Stones can by releasing those mythical gigs.

Posted by: Cafaro ()
Date: May 27, 2014 17:28

Hey all,
I just finished this book. Read it in 1 day. Nothing new here. In fact, other than certain "insights" and notes, most of us have read 95% of this before in one of David Dalton's books, in Rolling Stone, etc.--errors and all.

I must admit that I'm disappointed with myself for buying it. I scanned it at the book store and knew what it was going to be,

If you haven't read his 71 tour accounts before or if you need it wrapped up neatly in one place ..Buy It. Otherwise, save your money!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-27 17:32 by Cafaro.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: May 27, 2014 19:49

I quote myself,

Regarding shows that were recorded in '71 ...

According to Bill Wyman, "The shows at Brighton, Liverpool, Leeds and London were recorded live on the eight-track Stones mobile studio, all by Glyn Johns, except London where Chris Kimsey did the honours. [...] A one-hour tape of the Leeds show was presented to Radio One's John Peel for broadcast on 30 May." (Rolling With The Stones, page 375)

And about Bristol ...
John Perry writes in Classic Rock Albums: Exile On Main St. (p. 72):
"Back in 1972, Keith remembered one show in particular from this 1971 tour. 'Bristol was a gas,' he told Melody Maker. This I must admit is gratifying, since I was there--and it was a gas. It has always remained in [my] mind as the best Stones show I ever saw."

But the Bristol show was probably not recorded.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-27 19:50 by LieB.

Date: May 28, 2014 00:03

@LieB - What did you think of Classic Rock Albums: Exile On Main St.?

Posted by: TheBadRabbit ()
Date: June 12, 2014 17:31

I would've liked more detail about the shows. The life-on-the-road stuff is interesting, of course, but what about the music, man? I, too, was skeptical about the appearance of 'Wild Horses' on this tour--I had never seen it included in any of the published setlists. But if Wyman says they played it, well then... And speaking of Wyman: in the chapter about the difficulties of recording GHS in Jamaica (never one of my favorite Stones albums) Greenfield mentions Bill's "companion" being assaulted in their room while Bill hid under the bed. Really? I don't remember ever reading about this. Anyone else?

All in all a quick, entertaining read. Perfectly suited to a sunny afternoon on the porch with a $7 cigar, a pint, and 'Leeds Lungs' on the player. This StickyFingers/Exile period is my favorite Stones era and Greenfield is really the only one who has covered it in detail. As soon as I finished this book, I jumped in to re-read the second part of the trilogy: 'A Season in Hell.'

Date: June 12, 2014 17:41

kleermaker
Mr. Jimi

The Stones can by releasing those mythical gigs.
With proper 2014 vocals, guitar, bass, and drums, of course.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: June 12, 2014 19:09

MILKYWAY
@LieB - What did you think of Classic Rock Albums: Exile On Main St.?

I haven't read it all the way through, but I think it's a great little book. It's a nice listening companion to Exile and it has some interesting information, like that Anita interview where she says she heard Nellcote had been turned into a parking lot. grinning smiley

Date: June 12, 2014 21:13

TheBadRabbit
And speaking of Wyman: in the chapter about the difficulties of recording GHS in Jamaica (never one of my favorite Stones albums) Greenfield mentions Bill's "companion" being assaulted in their room while Bill hid under the bed. Really? I don't remember ever reading about this. Anyone else?

Yes, I read that actually several intruders broke into the room and threatened the occupants with a knife, and Bill was under the bed (not exactly hiding, they knew he was there) during the attack.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-12 21:14 by bleedingman.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1820
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home