Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4243444546474849505152...LastNext
Current Page: 47 of 106
Re: OT: The Who Hits 50! tour
Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: June 2, 2018 00:16

Interesting read, but I hope someone has fixed up his writing for the book a bit. A lot of that article was barely comprehensible.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-06-02 00:17 by peoplewitheyes.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 9, 2018 02:26

Herald Sun -- 9 July 2018

ROCKMAN

OT: Roger Daltrey
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: August 14, 2018 19:07

The Last Word: Roger Daltrey on Marriage, Hip-Hop and the Who Hit He’s Sick of Singing

The frontman also reveals which deep cut he refuses to even consider playing live and explains why retirement isn’t a priority

By Andy Greene

Illustration by Mark Summers for Rolling Stone

Better band: the Stones or the Who?

It’s like comparing chocolate and chocolate. The Stones were a rock & roll band. They are the best rock & roll band in the world, by far. The Who are a rock band. Whether we’re the best in the world, I can’t tell you, because I’m in the thing. But the Who are a rock band. We don’t do the roll. We do the rock.

Listen > [cms.megaphone.fm]

[www.rollingstone.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-08-14 19:09 by bye bye johnny.

Re: OT: Roger Daltrey
Posted by: glimmertwinz ()
Date: August 14, 2018 21:09

I saw Roger at the Royal Albert Hall earlier this year and The Who many times previously. Can't wait till they're back playing again.

Date: August 16, 2018 04:26

I saw Roger's recent concert. Loads of solo songs. Overall, it was a good show, but it didn't have any punch to it so it felt slightly anemic without Pete there. The show was mostly ballads, and some were very good.

Charles Baudelaire
1821-1869

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: August 16, 2018 04:39

i ADORE The Who, even what's left of em' yes...
anniversay of Woodstock today and the next two days.
Roger is so humble here with that quote;
and he has really seen the world from an earned and very, very high place.
My God I actually saw them at The Metropolitan Opera House in NYC,
i could NOT get enough; I've talked with Roger when I was a teenager;
and they were at a peak they would hold on to for years at the time.
I honestly don't even remember how many times I've seen them;
It was just like, "ok, i'm going. period' if i could get there,
i was up real close every time. I rememver a Central Park show, the first time
I ever saw them in '68. to this day I've never heard ANYTHYING louder.
forget entertainment; i mean like aircraft landing.
with tanks blowing up buildings during an earthquake while the subway crashed.
oh things 'rolled' in their own little ways Mr. Daltry, like the pavement and my pulse.
rock on any way you can Roger.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 16, 2018 06:11

charlesbaudelaire
I saw Roger's recent concert. Loads of solo songs. Overall, it was a good show, but it didn't have any punch to it so it felt slightly anemic without Pete there. The show was mostly ballads, and some were very good.

Charles Baudelaire
1821-1869

My sister and bro-in-law offered me a ticket for the Paso Robles show the other night which is about 160 miles up the coast (apprx. 3 hour drive). Thought about it for a second, and decided to pass.
They had the same impression as you - overall a good show (with some Who songs), but sort of a run-of-the-mill experience.

Posted by: Mr.D ()
Date: August 16, 2018 15:32

We saw him down here in Florida a few months ago and he was fabulous! He uses most of the same musicians who tour with The Who these days. He says in that interview that they don't have any shows planned but I thought I read that they are taking over from Elton John's Red Piano show in Las Vegas next year?

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: August 16, 2018 16:41

The Mirror reported last fall that The Who's Vegas residency would start in July 2018.

[iorr.org]

OT - The Who to release new album in 2019 to justify tour !
Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: January 11, 2019 17:48

Wow, maybe that's going to give Mick and Keith a wakeup call !

When Pete Townshend’s management team came to him with a lucrative offer from Live Nation to spend much of 2019 on the road with the Who, he said he’d only agree to it under a single condition. “I said I was not going to sign any contracts unless we have new material,” says Townshend. “This has nothing to do with wanting a hit album. It has nothing to do with the fact that the Who need a new album. It’s purely personal. It’s about my pride, my sense of self-worth and self-dignity as a writer.”

[www.rollingstone.com]

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-11 17:48 by gotdablouse.

Re: OT - The Who to release new album in 2019 to justify tour !
Date: January 11, 2019 17:55

Man I love Pete Townshend, and his honesty:
the new material is..

“dark ballads, heavy rock stuff, experimental electronica, sampled stuff and cliched Who-ish tunes that began with a guitar that goes yanga-dang.”

spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: January 11, 2019 17:58

Nah , It doesn't go Yanga-dang , it goes Dang-da-da .

But I loved The Who .

For years, back in the day, they were my second band .

But they don't really exist any more do they ? I don't think Pete and Roger constitute The Who.

They got away with it when Keith sadly passed but without the Ox ?

One sad loss too many I'm afraid.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-11 18:03 by Spud.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: January 11, 2019 18:16

Spud

But I loved The Who .

But they don't really exist any more do they ? I don't think Pete and Roger constitute The Who.

Are The Stones The Stones without Brian and Bill then?

Date: January 11, 2019 18:19

Was Endless Wire the last collection of PT songs to be released? Has he put out any solo stuff in the last decade or so? (or just 'Scoop' type demo releases).

I love so many stages of his work with the who, and his late 70s/early 80s solo stuff is just brilliant.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: January 11, 2019 18:20

jlowe
Spud
But I loved The Who .

Good point there were 5 of them to start with instead of 4 and they lost two members so it's not their fault they're down to two vs three ;-) And at the end of the day people go for Mick and Keith the same way they go for Roger and Pete. The difference of course is that Roger is not stalling all of Mick's ideas by claiming he has "two or three dynamite riffs", he just puts out solo albums ;-)

Quite the reversal of fortunes (at least for the fans) when The Who were touring behind old material in 1989 and Mick was claiming left and right that there was no way he would tour without a new album...who would have thunk it would be down to this 30 years down the road ?

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-11 18:23 by gotdablouse.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: January 11, 2019 18:38

Love the honesty but thats just dumb. If you're going out as the Who, you're doing it for money and to hide behind a legacy. If you're gonna do that, why force people to hear new stuff that even you yourself don't have faith in. Just go all in and play the hits and classic stuff we all want.

Or yknow, don't tour as the Who.

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: January 11, 2019 18:39

The Rolling Stones and The Who both touring in 2019...
truly astounding.

thumbs upcool smileythumbs up

But if you read the article, the album won't be completed before the tour and the tour is all dates with local symphonies.

The big problem is figuring out what songs they’re going to play.
Both Townshend and Daltrey agree that a decent portion of the night will be devoted to material from Tommy and Quadrophenia,
though Daltrey wants to fill out the rest of the set with their greatest hits and Townshend is hoping they could break out a handful of obscurities
like ‘Time is Passing’ and ‘Too Much of Anything’ that he feels would work well with symphonies.
But Daltrey traditionally makes the setlist himself and is unsure about challenging the audience like that. “You can’t please everybody,” he says.
“Some hardcore fans might bitch and moan, but 99.99 percent of the audience wants to hear the hits.
I don’t want people scratching their balls and going, ‘I want to hear ‘Baba O’Riley.’”

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-11 19:10 by Kurt.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: January 11, 2019 19:16

jlowe
Spud

But I loved The Who .

Would the the Stones be the Stones if they lost Charlie? The Who lost their identity when Keith Moon died.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: January 11, 2019 20:11

Kurt
"But Daltrey traditionally makes the setlist himself and is unsure about challenging the audience like that. 'You can’t please everybody,' he says.
'Some hardcore fans might bitch and moan, but 99.99 percent of the audience wants to hear the hits. I don’t want people scratching their balls and going, ‘I want to hear ‘Baba O’Riley.’”

Roger is way off the mark here. The general attendees who wouldn't recognize deep cuts also think "Baba O'Riley" is called "Teenage Wasteland."

...and people can say what they want about Pete's integrity, I think he's just terrified Ian is coming after him for being lazy.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-11 20:12 by Rocky Dijon.

Date: January 11, 2019 20:23

Looking forward to new album and tour. thumbs up

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: January 11, 2019 21:05

Saw them on their fifth show after Entwistle died. They were great, but not much interest in seeing them again after that. Having the Ox die kinda took the sails out of my fandom.

Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: January 11, 2019 21:25

Yeah, I saw them on that '02 tour after Entwistle died, too. They sounded good, and it was great to hear "The Relay", one of my favorites by The Who, but I don't need to see them again. As for calling themselves The Who with two members, it does seems weird but I see how Roger and Pete are the widely known creative force behind the band. It's different in my mind with the Stones because even with just Mick Keith and Charlie as originals you have more of the original sound, but Bill's "roll" to the rock is most definitely missed...though Darryl has been solid.

Lastly, Roger saying "you never want to say its the farewell, but this may be the last tour" or something to that effect, is a ****ing joke. Remember '82 Rog?

Posted by: ThePaleRider ()
Date: January 11, 2019 21:40

Well, I saw them just 2 short years ago in 2017 on the Plains of Abraham at the Quebec City Summer Festival. It was outdoors and they were outstanding. Loud and rocking in front of thousands. Roger and Pete both sounded great. Zak Starkey on drums was insane. I wouldn't hesitate a minute to go see them again...

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: January 11, 2019 21:49

11 JAN 2019

PETE: A NEW WHO YEAR AHEAD

"Happy New Year to all our fans and to visitors to this site. The world is still turning, and there is a lot of work to do to keep that happening. And to keep smiling, if we are lucky.

The Who will be back in action this year, with new recorded music, a new stage show (with absolutely no water drenching effects, lol), but some very special events. I’ve suggested we might do a special series of shows for our close fans towards the end of 2019; we shall see, plenty of time to work things out. More details to come soon, but it will certainly be an exciting year for us and it will kick off sooner than you expect. The Who’s managers, with Roger and I, are still planning things, but we’re all committed to a new WHO year ahead."

Full note here: [www.thewho.com]

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: January 11, 2019 22:00

ThePaleRider
Well, I saw them just 2 short years ago in 2017 on the Plains of Abraham at the Quebec City Summer Festival. It was outdoors and they were outstanding. Loud and rocking in front of thousands. Roger and Pete both sounded great. Zak Starkey on drums was insane. I wouldn't hesitate a minute to go see them again...
I'm sure they're still fantastic...I'm just not a diehard fan, and having missed the chance to see 3/4 of them when I almost had the chance was bittersweet.

Date: January 11, 2019 22:06

ThePaleRider

thumbs up

Among the highlights of both Desert Trip weekends.
First saw them in '79 and they were great. Then in '82, not so great. Then in 2007, pretty bad.
Desert Trip '16...fantastic, and would happily see them again!!!

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: January 11, 2019 22:09

i never got right into them, but they have a cluster of amazing songs, others i didnt get, i did dig some great performances on youtube, happyjack, see me feel me, wont get fooled again being the best, some really aggressive performances and moon was just a freak of nature, like he was playing 2 beats at once while following the lead.

i just felt the who never really lasted long enough as a studio band, and they could never be as good without moon the loon.

Posted by: ThePaleRider ()
Date: January 11, 2019 22:38

Hairball
ThePaleRider

thumbs up

Among the highlights of both Desert Trip weekends.
First saw them in '79 and they were great. Then in '82, not so great. Then in 2007, pretty bad.
Desert Trip '16...fantastic, and would happily see them again!!!

It's just a short clip from Quebec City...but you get the idea. The Who can still put on a rock show like back in the day. It was a beautiful thing to see and hear. No fade yet in this band...

The WHO Quebec City Summer Festival

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: January 11, 2019 22:51

Very good news!

Posted by: marianna ()
Date: January 11, 2019 23:10

Pete has so much integrity. Yeah, recording new material justifies vacuuming up all that money when fans are only there to hear the hits.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4243444546474849505152...LastNext
Current Page: 47 of 106

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1772
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home