Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7891011121314151617...LastNext
Current Page: 12 of 106
Re: OT: The Who Hits 50! tour
Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: December 4, 2014 21:29

Yeh ! I saw they had the ZiggaDome added to the schedule, and hope you can make Hyde Park in London.

I will be there in London and would be great to meet up again. smileys with beer

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: December 4, 2014 21:35

crawdaddy
Yeh ! I saw they had the ZiggaDome added to the schedule, and hope you can make Hyde Park in London.

I will be there in London and would be great to meet up again. smileys with beer

Sounds like a plan! smileys with beer

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: December 4, 2014 21:48

Cristiano Radtke
crawdaddy

Would be great for fans from Brazil to see the band in your home country Cristiano.

Indeed, but I'm considering the possibility to go see them in Holland (tickets on sale tomorrow) and visit some friends there. Maybe in London too, where I do have some friends, too. Let's see what happens. winking smiley

There is a The Who presale "Ticketmaster" tickets for the Ziggo Dome in Amsterdam but that means you have to become a member of the Who fanclub and they charge you €45 extra total of €130,45 grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-12-04 21:50 by runaway.

Posted by: SimonN ()
Date: December 4, 2014 22:01

Hello,

I know it's a bit late but here is my take on the Leeds show from two nights ago. Before I crack on, thanks for the comments: if one IORRian finds this guff either entertaining or useful, then it's worth the effort!

And so to my match report for last night’s show at the 12,000 seat bowl-like Leeds Arena…yeah, I bet you’ve been counting the minutes, hah-hah! Well, how much could have changed in the 46 hours since the Glasgow show? Well, the mood seemed a little more relaxed or low-key in some way, or maybe that was my perception because I thought that I knew what was coming!

I Can't Explain
Substitute
The Seeker
The Kids Are Alright
I Can See for Miles
Who Are You
A Quick One (While He's Away)
Cry If You Want
Slip Kid
Behind Blue Eyes
Squeeze Box
Join Together
5:15
Bell Boy
Love, Reign O'er Me
Eminence Front
Long Live Rock
Amazing Journey
Sparks
Pinball Wizard
See Me, Feel Me
Magic Bus
Baba O'Riley
Won't Get Fooled Again

All present and correct as per the first show, minus the ‘Naked Eye’ encore. As per that first show, there were a few fluffs from both Rog and Pete. On one occasion (and the song escapes me, I think it may have been ‘Teenage W-‘ sorry, ‘Baba O.’) Pete was bringing his hand down to begin a solo and Rog sang a line which PT clearly believed to be in the wrong place and gave his partner an exasperated and confused look: Rog was oblivious to this as he was concentrating so hard trying to do his thing. Pete looked across to both Pino and Si for reassurance/confirmation that he was right but they didn’t give much away!

To even things up, there were a couple of times when Pete left Rog staring because he wasn’t at the mic singing when expected: again I can’t be sure but I think it was ‘Join Together’ that went into the 12 “ version, hah-hah!
There was plenty of humour though amongst it all. For instance, Rog decried Pete’s choice of trouser (navy blue sweatpants again) and the reply was that “…there’s nothing wrong with these trousers…they give me freedom which I like!”. Cue much guffawing!
You know Pete’s technique of hammering his scratchplate and the strings with his fist? Well, he let us know that that was his death metal move and before the next song that would be employing it he then demonstrated what he meant. Rog immediately said that it was no wonder that his guitar’s always out of tune to which Pete replied in a mock-wounded fashion that “no it is not! And I’ll have you know that Mark Knopfler no less said that I have lovely intonation…”. Again there was a lot of laughing up there!

Worth mentioning that his playing at times was on another plane altogether: it may have been '5.15' where it was astounding. No other word for it.
The downside from these delays (some of which are unavoidable and some are funny) is that the guys are losing a bit of momentum sometimes with the amount of time it takes to get the next song started: if they occasionally went bang! With another number it raises the levels again. The one benefit of the gaps last night was the amount of calls and shouts from the audience which Pete clearly heard. One guy bellowing repeatedly for ‘Pure And Easy’ was told that yes they had rehearsed it, but no it wasn’t on tonight’s setlist, so he would have to buy another ticket to another show if he wanted to hear it!

Pete said to Rog that they received a lot of messages from the audience which Rog never hears because of his in-ear monitors. In the next breath he let us know that most of them were “…@#$%& gibberish.”, followed by a pause for comedic effect. I see what PT means when he says that he finds being onstage easy: all these asides come naturally to him and we know that he is affectionate in his hatred, hah-hah!
Having said that, after they finished the ‘A Quick One’ selection, Pete wondered aloud if the song-cycle was really about sexual abuse and if it was, should the protagonist be forgiven? His considered and serious answer was “…I’m not so sure.” So, not all comedy then…

As happened at the Quad show that I saw in Manchester last June, a lot of the people in the centre floor blocks wanted to remain seated. You also had an inordinate number of ‘tourists’ who were up and down for drinks and bladder-relief constantly, as well as other folk from seats behind wandering into the aisles in order to get closer to the band. In a word, it was a tad chaotic at times. I still stood and sang my cojones off for the 2 hours and 20 minutes though, hah-hah!

There was no encore: I almost agree with Rog when he gives it the full Luddite treatment and says that the tradition of them is showbiz bs. Having said that, I could have suffered another stab at ‘Naked Eye’ even if I did have an 80 mile drive home. Yeah, boo-hoo me, right?

After ‘WGFA’ Pete lead the band intros and made a point of thanking the road crew too. When he came to Frank Simes, PT introduced him as the tour’s musical director, before pausing again for effect and delivering the aside to us that “… that means he just does what I tell him, hah-hah!”. Funny man.
As I said earlier, the band seemed more relaxed than they were at Glasgow- is this a case of a bit of nervous tension even at this late stage of the game? I’m just guessing of course: I’d love to sit in on any post-show debriefs…
I really do feel for Rog because he clearly is not happy with what he is (or not) hearing up on that stage. It seems that there is considerable temperamental technology employed in The Who’s stage set-up: gone are the days of merely ‘kicking the tyres and lighting the fires’.

Apart from Rog’s problems, there were a couple of times when Pete didn’t get the required sound from his guitar which necessitated hitting the ‘Rogan button’ once or twice. Worth mentioning though that he was plenty loud enough from 6 rows back on his side!

Both he and Pete are proud performers when you strip everything else away and they get annoyed when outside factors get in the way, naturally.

In summary (cue clapping and cheering, I’m sure…) if you’re in doubt whether you should see these guys then just go. I know tickets are not cheap but when this tour ends that may well be where this all stops. And by the time this tour wings near to you, there is every chance that they might have learned the songs by then, hah-hah! In case anyone is in doubt, yes I do love this band and have been lucky to enjoy seeing them around 30 times: if you think I’m a little harsh on them, it’s because they mean a lot. Until the next time…

And a bit of 'Long Live Rock'...

[www.youtube.com]

Cheers,

Simon.

Date: December 4, 2014 22:17

Great stuff Simon. smileys with beer

Posted by: Crackinup ()
Date: December 4, 2014 22:30

Thanks for the report Simon. I hope that set list lasts til next April in the States.

With the double whammy of both Bobby and Ian passing this week, I am even more appreciative that Pete and Roger are still chugging along after 50 yrs. I've never been a Who fanatic, but I can't imagine my life without their music.

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: December 4, 2014 23:00

Cheers Simon.

Looking forward to Sunday's concert in sunny Brum. smileys with beer

Date: December 5, 2014 10:39

Hi Mike,

Nice one- you'll have a blast!

Cheers,

Simon.

Posted by: stoneman333 ()
Date: December 5, 2014 11:39

Hi,

In case there's anyone who hasn't seen it, and who might be interested, I have a spare ticket for sale for the Cardiff performance on Monday December 15th, due to a friend's illness - advertised on the Ticket Trader forum.

Please check it out and get in touch if interested.

Posted by: Happy Jack ()
Date: December 5, 2014 19:02

I think its cool that on A Quick One they are using the Rock and Roll Cicrus imagery.

Date: December 5, 2014 21:15

What time do they come on and how long the show if anybody knows.

Date: December 5, 2014 21:17

Hi Mike,
First two shows identical pretty much: on at 8.40pm and walking off at 11pm. Bleedin' swindlers, hah-hah!

Date: December 5, 2014 21:41

SimonN
Hi Mike,
First two shows identical pretty much: on at 8.40pm and walking off at 11pm. Bleedin' swindlers, hah-hah!

Thanks, simon.

Last question, is there a support act?

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: December 5, 2014 22:12

Nice report and great photos Simon, thanks! That set list looks fantastic. Also looks like Pete pretty much played the same guitar all night. Is that right and was he on acoustic for a few numbers?

Very nice that they also thanked the crew, something I've never heard the Stones do.

peace

Posted by: PhilipStaniforth ()
Date: December 6, 2014 02:18

Just got back from tonight's show in Nottingham. A similar set list to the one above. Pictures of Lily was added tonight. Cry if you want, Slip kid and Long Live Rock were all dropped. I think they did I'm One which I'm not so familiar with.

It sounded like Pete had missed the soundcheck due to a traffic accident so he had to busk his way through Pictures of Lily.

A Quick One seemed a bit lost on this audience as no one seemed to know it. Roger made some kind of slip up in SqueezeBox which got a very short version.

The sound was a bit tinny to start with but it seemed ok after a few numbers although the volume could have gone up a notch for me.

Overall a great show and worth seeing if you get the chance.

Posted by: snorton ()
Date: December 6, 2014 07:31

Interesting they don't close with tea and theatre like they did for previous tours...I reaize this is a warhorse set list but when just roger and Pete played that number....I felt like it was a greatest hit.

Date: December 6, 2014 07:36

PhilipStaniforth
Just got back from tonight's show in Nottingham. A similar set list to the one above. Pictures of Lily was added tonight. Cry if you want, Slip kid and Long Live Rock were all dropped. I think they did I'm One which I'm not so familiar with.

It sounded like Pete had missed the soundcheck due to a traffic accident so he had to busk his way through Pictures of Lily.

A Quick One seemed a bit lost on this audience as no one seemed to know it. Roger made some kind of slip up in SqueezeBox which got a very short version.

The sound was a bit tinny to start with but it seemed ok after a few numbers although the volume could have gone up a notch for me.

Overall a great show and worth seeing if you get the chance.

Thanks for the review, Philip. I'm looking forward to their concert, since they're one of my favorite bands and I haven't had the chance to see them live.

Date: December 7, 2014 03:13

Naturalust
Nice report and great photos Simon, thanks! That set list looks fantastic. Also looks like Pete pretty much played the same guitar all night. Is that right and was he on acoustic for a few numbers?

Very nice that they also thanked the crew, something I've never heard the Stones do.

peace

Hi Nl,

Nope, no acoustic for Townshend Sr., although Si did on occasion. Sometimes Pete had a white Strat ('5.15' springs to mind, which really went somewhere else!).

Hi Mike,

There is a support act but although they could obviously play, they did zero for me. Tough in the critics' section, hah-hah!

Cheers,

Simon.

Date: December 7, 2014 16:00

SimonN
Naturalust

peace

Hi Nl,

Nope, no acoustic for Townshend Sr., although Si did on occasion. Sometimes Pete had a white Strat ('5.15' springs to mind, which really went somewhere else!).

Hi Mike,

There is a support act but although they could obviously play, they did zero for me. Tough in the critics' section, hah-hah!

Cheers,

Simon.

Thanks Simon.

Will give a quick report tomorrow.

Date: December 8, 2014 13:36

Mixed feelings for me at last nights show.

Had a couple of dick heads behind us who kept on talking between the songs and so was hard to say what they was saying on the stage.

some of the songs i thought went on a bit too long and perhaps if i had seats on the ground floor i probably be saying what a great concert it was.

My other problem is that with such other big groups i keep comparing them to the stones and of course they do not come anywhere near them, i know its sad.

The two last songs were wont get fooled again followed by magic bus, me personally thought they would have finished with wont get fooled again, i did think for one minute we was going to get my genaration after magic bus, but unfortuantely it did not happen.

Would i go again, i think if only i had floor seats, but probably will not get the chance again thou.
I know my brother in law really enjoyed it and will be intresting to see what my neighbor thought about it as he is a big who fan.

Date: December 9, 2014 02:22

Hi Mike,

Sorry to hear that they didn't knock it outta the NEC. I am now ultra choosey about how good my seat will be: if it isn't gonna be close then I will probably pass (HP 1 an honourable exception!).
You can't legislate for loud @#$%& though (it's not a medical condition- I've checked) and I cannot understand people making the effort and paying the money to see these acts and then talk or repeatedly go to the bar/bog/whatever. No need!

Cheers,

Simon.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: December 9, 2014 02:30

SimonN
Hi Mike,

Sorry to hear that they didn't knock it outta the NEC. I am now ultra choosey about how good my seat will be: if it isn't gonna be close then I will probably pass (HP 1 an honourable exception!).
You can't legislate for loud @#$%& though (it's not a medical condition- I've checked) and I cannot understand people making the effort and paying the money to see these acts and then talk or repeatedly go to the bar/bog/whatever. No need!

Cheers,

Simon.

This is why I often go to concerts alone. I've had that experience going to shows I've long looked forward to only to have my friends attempt to chew my ear off during the concert.

Date: December 9, 2014 05:12

I've just read a nice review from Chris Charlesworth about the Birmingham concert. This one and the reviews from the fellow people from IORR who've attended the latest Who concerts makes me definitely think seriously about going to see them in London, next year.

[justbackdated.blogspot.com.br]

Posted by: PTownshend ()
Date: December 9, 2014 10:36

not'68 but can still do this....

Date: December 9, 2014 11:19

Love it ! smileys with beer

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: December 9, 2014 11:21

Thanks PT for posting the Quick One vid--sounds fantastic! Looking forward to the show in Boston in 2015. By the way, where's Rabbit?

Date: December 9, 2014 13:18

BluzDude
SimonN
Hi Mike,

Cheers,

Simon.

This is why I often go to concerts alone. I've had that experience going to shows I've long looked forward to only to have my friends attempt to chew my ear off during the concert.

Just to clarify it was people behind us, who we did not know.

I went with my brother in law who really enjoyed the show.

Yes its got to be the right seat for me in the future, its just getting in that blasted queue first.drinking smiley

Posted by: Mr.D ()
Date: December 9, 2014 15:41

stonehearted
Thanks PT for posting the Quick One vid--sounds fantastic! Looking forward to the show in Boston in 2015. By the way, where's Rabbit?

John "Rabbit" Bundrick hasn't played with The Who for quite a whiles, has he? Here's a link to his website.

[rabbitwho.com]

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: December 9, 2014 18:20

I understand that. You have no control over these people, but if you complain, you have a slight chance of finding yourself upgraded, it's happened to me before.

Date: December 9, 2014 18:33

BluzDude

I understand that. You have no control over these people, but if you complain, you have a slight chance of finding yourself upgraded, it's happened to me before.

Apologies i read it wrong.

Must remember that for next time.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7891011121314151617...LastNext
Current Page: 12 of 106

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1725
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home