Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...9596979899100101102103104105...LastNext
Current Page: 100 of 106
Re: OT: The Who stuff
Posted by: glimmertwinz ()
Date: January 31, 2023 13:48

Does anyone know if The Who will be performing at the Teenage Cancer Trust gigs this year?

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: February 1, 2023 00:20

If I was going ,it would definitely be Edinburgh Castle, or possibly the Brighton Cricket Ground gig, but 02 Arena gig doesn't appeal to me these days.

Was very lucky to have seen two of the acoustic gigs in my home town of Kingston, way back before Covid was on the scene, and I'm Happy to call it a day to see The Who play live again.

Still a great live band, but I'm 71 years old now, and small venues for any music gigs these days are the ones for me.
All you youngsters get out and see them if you can, as you won't regret it.smileys with beer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-02-01 00:55 by crawdaddy.

Posted by: deeeskannnie ()
Date: February 1, 2023 11:35

"TICKETS GO ON GENERAL SALE ON FRIDAY 3rd FEBRUARY AT 10.00am GMT.
THE WHO FAN CLUB PRE-SALE BEGINS ON WEDNESDAY 1st FEBRUARY AT 10.00am"

...anyone able to keep us updated on ticket prices?

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: February 1, 2023 12:35

For the O2 London (for which the presale link is NOT working - or at least not for me - GRRRRR...). Face value cost in brackets:

SEATS £143.87 (£126.00)
SEATS £110.27 (£96.00)
SEATS £99.07 (£86.00)
SEATS £76.67 (£66.00)

Posted by: Roll73 ()
Date: February 3, 2023 12:03

How can it be that 3 seconds after the tickets go on sale that Ticketmaster are saying no more tickets available?!

Very disappointing

Posted by: Captain Teague ()
Date: February 3, 2023 14:29

Roll73
How can it be that 3 seconds after the tickets go on sale that Ticketmaster are saying no more tickets available?!

It is probably because they transfer 1000's of tickets onto their own resale site. They are legalised ticket touts after all and it is time they were investigated.

I got my tickets for the O2 through AXS.com and even this was a bit of a ball ache. I had to release my front row seats (which would have been a first for me) as you could only buy through American Express and I do not have their card.

Posted by: oxegen ()
Date: February 3, 2023 14:40

I bought tickets for both shows in Edinburgh. Very smooth transaction. Done and dusted in six minutes. I got seats on the flat. One in Section 31 and one in Section 32.

Posted by: Roll73 ()
Date: February 3, 2023 15:21

Captain Teague
Roll73

It is probably because they transfer 1000's of tickets onto their own resale site. They are legalised ticket touts after all and it is time they were investigated.

I got my tickets for the O2 through AXS.com and even this was a bit of a ball ache. I had to release my front row seats (which would have been a first for me) as you could only buy through American Express and I do not have their card.

Bunch of sheisters they are, Ironically I did finally manage to get some fairly lousy seats but then secured far better seats (at a lower cost) from AXS - near the front of Block 111. And I've subsequently managed to sell the TM tix at face value on their resale site - which someone else has now paid over the odds for sad smiley

Ho hum - at least I'm going now, Really wanted to take my son who's only just old enough, to see some proper rock legends before it's too late (morbid I know - but pragmatic). Fingers crossed the Stones will play in the UK again too.

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: February 9, 2023 21:42

The Who, Isobel Griffiths Orchestra - Baba O’Riley (Live At Wembley, UK / 2019)

Posted by: BeastyBurdeny ()
Date: February 9, 2023 22:03

Interesting article from Daltrey, discussing their back catalogue. He also mentions that he'd like to perform (hopefully as a tour and not a one-off) Quadrophenia with the orchestra, which I think is great idea.

https://www.vulture.com/2023/02/roger-daltrey-on-the-who-best-songs-pete-townshend.html

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: February 10, 2023 17:24

I see PT is releasing a new single soon, the (dreadfully titled) ' Can't Outrun the Truth'

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: February 14, 2023 23:33

Wow that was painful to watch : [youtu.be]

Hope it never happens to Mick !

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: February 15, 2023 00:15

gotdablouse
Wow that was painful to watch : [youtu.be]

Hope it never happens to Mick !

Roger said he was suffering from acid reflux and couldn't sing anymore. He told the people "I am not a robot". Got to love the guy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-02-15 00:16 by More Hot Rocks.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: February 16, 2023 20:00

The Who - Call me Lightning live - Montreal Forum (Canada) - March 27, 1968

Date: March 1, 2023 00:24

OT: The Who stuff
Date: March 2, 2023 17:57

Pete plays guitar on "Bye Bye Love", a track from Ann Margret's upcoming album Born To Be Wild.

From a piece by Jonathan Cohen, published by Spin, March 2:

“Being offered an opportunity to work with Ann-Margret, especially on an Everly Brothers song, was just too romantic to pass,” Townshend says. “Ann-Margret’s work on the Tommy movie back in 1974 (when she was most certainly not old enough to pretend to be Roger Daltrey’s mother) was a joy from beginning to end. Her sonorous voice, her Scandinavian beauty, her sense of humor, her stamina, and her strength all shone through.”

[www.spin.com]

--

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 2, 2023 19:56

Well...that was excellent! thumbs up

Posted by: ukcal ()
Date: March 2, 2023 20:47

BANK HOLIDAY MONDAY 28 AUGUST 2023

THE WHO announce an historic concert with the ROYAL PHILHARMONIC CONCERT ORCHESTRA, hosted at the ROYAL SANDRINGHAM ESTATE in Norfolk.

The momentous outdoor summer show will be a special finale to their 2023 The Who Hits Back! UK tour, and is part of the first extensive live music events to be held at the Royal Sandringham Estate, presented by Heritage Live. Special guests for the event will be Richard Ashcroft, and The Lightning Seeds.

Pete Townshend, Roger Daltrey and band will perform music from throughout the band’s nearly 60-year career, including sections devoted to classic albums Tommy and Quadrophenia as well as other beloved Who tracks and songs from their 2019 WHO album.

Pete Townshend said,
“ Very pleased and excited for The Who to be one of the first artists to perform at the Country Home of the British Royal family on The Sandringham Estate.
Opening up the Estate to large scale concerts is a fantastic way of keeping us uplifted. We can’t wait!”

For a second I was thinkin ! the Stones on Sat 26th August would tie in with the possible tour dates, hell of a warm up show. However Robbie Williams is now slated for both the 26th/27th Aug 23...maybe friday 25th???

Date: March 4, 2023 01:35

The Who, Isobel Griffiths Orchestra - Imagine A Man (Live At Wembley, UK / 2019 / Audio)

Posted by: ukcal ()
Date: March 7, 2023 19:37

Roger Daltrey and Friends for Teenage Cancer Trust - Sunday 26th March 2023

Teenage Cancer Trust’s historic annual Royal Albert Hall concert series returns for 2023 with another unique line-up at one of the world’s most prestigious venues. Newly announced today is A Special Gala Evening of Music with Roger Daltrey and Friends of Teenage Cancer Trust including Richard Ashcroft, the first live performance from Far From Saints, plus very special guest Joan Armatrading and more surprise guests to be revealed.

Date: March 21, 2023 03:52

Date: March 31, 2023 19:26

The Who - Eminence Front (Lyric Video)

--

The Who With Orchestra: Live At Wembley

[open.spotify.com]

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: April 1, 2023 20:49

Who fan from before I was 10 yrs old, listening to Tommy when it came out. Have seen the band over a dozen times in different incarnations, and they were still killing it, even post-Entwistle in the 2010s. Roger was in good voice. Pete still playing with power. But saw them on the orchestra tour early in Covid and, wow, had things declined. Roger has lost a lot of power, and Pete seemed lost and bored. I thought I may have just caught an off night. But then saw them again in May 2022, and while both Pete and Roger were more focused (and they had reason to be, playing in Cincinnati for the first time since the tragedy on 1979, and honoring the lives lost), energy and the command the band once had were just not there anymore. I listened to the new Live At Wembley album yesterday, as best I could, but I was cringing on most songs. I felt embarrassed for them. I want to forget I heard them playing that badly, with no energy or passion. Even Zack Starkey, the drummer, seemed to be, at best, going thru the motions. Not at all what he once was. The Who will always be special to me. Quadrophenia spoke to be. But I truly hope they hang it up with live performance and new material (sadly)

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 1, 2023 21:12

bye bye johnny

thumbs up

bye bye johnny
The Who - Eminence Front (Lyric Video)

--

The Who With Orchestra: Live At Wembley

[open.spotify.com]

Amazing - saw two shows during that 2019 tour at the Hollywood Bowl and they were full of energy and intensity.
As great as they were at the Desert Trip shows(even better than the Stones imo), the addition of the orchestra for these more recent shows added another layer of beauty and excitement, taking it all to another dimension.
First saw them in '79, then again in '82, and a bunch of times since. They're still great after all these years, and hopefully will continue for many more. Long live rock. thumbs up

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-04-01 21:29 by Hairball.

Posted by: dkwalika ()
Date: April 5, 2023 21:20

Any chance they do the States again after this latest tour wraps?

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: April 5, 2023 21:58

dkwalika
Any chance they do the States again after this latest tour wraps?

They've kind of done the US to death the last few years. Maybe if they ditched the orchestra & did a tour it would make sense.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: April 5, 2023 22:10

bye bye johnny

Utterly utterly utterly magnificent. When the WHO are firing on all cylinders, as a pure rock band - there's little to touch them. I have loved every WHO gig I've ever been to, I can honestly say that I've never really ever seen them when they haven't been firing on all cylinders !

Going to see them at the wonderful Waldbühne in Berlin on 20th June, can't wait ....

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: April 7, 2023 06:33

bye bye johnny

That was awesome! The violinist was even better!

Date: April 8, 2023 16:58

Roger Daltrey is doubtful The Who will 'ever come back to tour America'

Melissa Ruggieri
April 7, 2023

You’re doing The Who Hits Back shows in Europe this summer. Any plans to return to the U.S.?

Nothing at the moment. I don’t know if we’ll ever come back to tour America. There is only one tour we could do, an orchestrated "Quadrophenia” to round out the catalog. But that’s one tall order to sing that piece of music, as I’ll be 80 next year. I never say never, but at the moment it’s very doubtful.

Touring has become very difficult since COVID. We cannot get insured and most of the big bands doing arena shows, by the time they do their first show and rehearsals and get the staging and crew together, all the buses and hotels, you’re upwards $600,000 to a million in the hole. To earn that back, if you’re doing a 12-show run, you don’t start to earn it back until the seventh or eighth show. That’s just how the business works. The trouble now is if you get COVID after the first show, you’ve (lost) that money.

Full interview > [www.usatoday.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-04-08 19:21 by bye bye johnny.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 11, 2023 02:05

bye bye johnny
Roger Daltrey is doubtful The Who will 'ever come back to tour America'

Melissa Ruggieri
April 7, 2023

You’re doing The Who Hits Back shows in Europe this summer. Any plans to return to the U.S.?

Nothing at the moment. I don’t know if we’ll ever come back to tour America. There is only one tour we could do, an orchestrated "Quadrophenia” to round out the catalog. But that’s one tall order to sing that piece of music, as I’ll be 80 next year. I never say never, but at the moment it’s very doubtful.

Touring has become very difficult since COVID. We cannot get insured and most of the big bands doing arena shows, by the time they do their first show and rehearsals and get the staging and crew together, all the buses and hotels, you’re upwards $600,000 to a million in the hole. To earn that back, if you’re doing a 12-show run, you don’t start to earn it back until the seventh or eighth show. That’s just how the business works. The trouble now is if you get COVID after the first show, you’ve (lost) that money.

Full interview > [www.usatoday.com]

wow...interesting to hear that. The Stones seem to be able to earn that back in the first show, if these numbers are accurate.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...9596979899100101102103104105...LastNext
Current Page: 100 of 106

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1951
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home