Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...8687888990919293949596...LastNext
Current Page: 91 of 106
OT: The Who stuff
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: January 20, 2022 20:51

20 Jan 2022

The Who to appear at the New Orleans Jazz Fest 2022

We are pleased to announce that The Who will be appearing at the New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival this spring on Saturday 30 April. The Festival runs from 29 April to 8 May and features over 500 bands, amazing food, great parades and plenty more!

Now running for more than 50 years, the New Orleans Jazz Fest is held each year at the Fairgrounds Race Course in New Orleans, Louisiana. The Who last appeared at Jazz Fest in 2015.

For tickets and more information go to nojazzfest.com

[www.thewho.com]

Re: OT: The Who stuff
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 20, 2022 21:09

Excellent news - thanks bye bye johnny.
The Who will dominate, and maybe there's a chance they'll play other shows somewhere in the U.S. around that time!

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: January 20, 2022 22:53

Great news bbj......and I think I'm right in saying these will be the first definitive Who gigs, since Pete and Roger, with Simon and the lovely young lady on percussion.........performed at the old Kingston Granada (Now Pryzm).

That was way back in February 2020............. and a few of us on IORR were lucky enough to be there. thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-01-20 23:09 by crawdaddy.

Posted by: hockenheim95 ()
Date: January 20, 2022 23:08

crawdaddy
Great news bbj......and I think I'm right in saying these will be the first definitive Who gigs, since Pete and Roger, with Simon and the lovely young lady on percussion.........performed at the old Kingston Granada (Now Pryzm).

That was way back in February 2020............. and a few of us on IORR were lucky enough to be there. thumbs up

I remember it quite well. February 14th 2020. Standing in line the whole afternoon while buying Lucky Dips together with my brother for half of the US tour. then the most intimate concert I ever experienced. Front row dead center between those two Legends. Awesome memories. Hope to see them again one more time!

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: January 20, 2022 23:28

So glad you saw them at such an intimate venue in my home town of Kingston.
I was lucky enough to get tickets for both nights from a really nice guy from Poland who had a couple of spare tickets.

One hour showtime before first gig chatting to fans in pub opposite the venue, got a phone call,and within next hour had got a ticket for second gig that night...............as well as two for second night.

So lucky and it just can show anything is possible. smileys with beer

Posted by: shawnriffhard1 ()
Date: January 21, 2022 00:24

Wow Crawdaddy, amazing story! Congrats; that's definitely the dream coming true!

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: January 21, 2022 20:42

Hairball
Excellent news - thanks bye bye johnny.
The Who will dominate, and maybe there's a chance they'll play other shows somewhere in the U.S. around that time!

Yes I’m assuming they will play other U.S. dates - which is great news!

Posted by: Mirko ()
Date: January 21, 2022 22:39

Normally they have to tour the UK and Europe not the USA. I had tickets for the Royal Albert Hall. They postponed 2 times and cancelled then. And now they announcing a US-Show!! Roger Daltrey has postponed his tour with a ridiculous reason.

Posted by: BeastyBurdeny ()
Date: January 22, 2022 04:58

Would love to see them back in Van some day (or anywhere in the PNW) and would really love to see them play more tracks from Who Are You.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: January 22, 2022 10:50

BeastyBurdeny
Would love to see them back in Van some day (or anywhere in the PNW) and would really love to see them play more tracks from Who Are You.

Same (Seattle). Without orchestra & in an arena rather than a stadium this time, please.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: January 22, 2022 14:06

crholmstrom
BeastyBurdeny

Same (Seattle). Without orchestra & in an arena rather than a stadium this time, please.

The last time you saw them they were in a stadium? When was that?

Date: January 22, 2022 15:08

tatters
crholmstrom
BeastyBurdeny

They played the baseball stadium in Seattle toward the end of the last tour, with orchestra. I didn't go. I'd heard tapes of a few of the orchestra shows & didn't like it enough to spend the big bucks for tickets. The baseball stadium isn't very good for concerts (football stadium has much better sound & sight lines). I've seen 3 shows at T-Mobile & @ 2 (Foo Fighters & Tom Petty) the sound was terrible. It was especially tragic in the case of of Petty as he was dead about 2 weeks later. I went to night 2 of Pearl Jam there & that one sounded great.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: January 23, 2022 13:01

crholmstrom
tatters
crholmstrom
BeastyBurdeny

They played the baseball stadium in Seattle toward the end of the last tour, with orchestra. I didn't go. I'd heard tapes of a few of the orchestra shows & didn't like it enough to spend the big bucks for tickets. The baseball stadium isn't very good for concerts (football stadium has much better sound & sight lines). I've seen 3 shows at T-Mobile & @ 2 (Foo Fighters & Tom Petty) the sound was terrible. It was especially tragic in the case of of Petty as he was dead about 2 weeks later. I went to night 2 of Pearl Jam there & that one sounded great.

I think the only way I could ever get excited about seeing them again would be if they were to do a theater tour. I did have hopes, when the song "Tea and Theater" came out in 2006, and they actually began doing it as a final encore, that maybe they would finally make the transition to smaller venues, but it's never really happened. I have noticed, however, that the last few times they've come to Detroit, they've been using less and less of the arena. Last time they had the stage set up on what I guess would be the half-court or center-ice line, and were only playing to half the arena, in effect reconfiguring it into a gigantic, 10,000 seat theater.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-01-23 13:02 by tatters.

Date: January 24, 2022 18:50

Pete Townshend: In Praise Of Eddie Vedder, And More

In a fascinating chat with MOJO, the Who guitarist discusses his Pearl Jam pal, Lifehouse ‘plans’, neotericism and, er, ‘telematics’!

by Danny Eccleston | Posted on 18 01 2022

Getty Images

[www.mojo4music.com]

Date: January 31, 2022 19:36

The Who Movie About Keith Moon Is Finally Underway With Plans to Shoot This Summer (EXCLUSIVE)

By Manori Ravindran
January 28, 2022

Everett Collection

A long-gestating movie about The Who’s late drummer Keith Moon is finally moving ahead, with plans in place to shoot in Britain this summer, Variety can reveal.

The project, which is tentatively titled “The Real Me” (the title of a song on Who album “Quadrophenia”), has Moon’s former band members Roger Daltrey and Pete Townshend on board as executive producers. The pic is directed by Paul Whittington (“The Crown,” “White House Farm”) with a script from prolific British screenwriter Jeff Pope, who was Oscar-nominated for “Philomena.”

Los Angeles-based White Horse Pictures is producing. The outfit is best known for seminal Martin Scorsese documentary “George Harrison: Living in the Material World,” as well as Ron Howard’s Beatles documentary “Eight Days a Week: The Touring Years.” Founders Nigel Sinclair and Guy East are also known independently for movies like “The Ides of March” and “Rush.”

Shooting is set to begin on the Moon pic in June, and the casting process has been rumbling along for a few months already. Producers on the movie are Sinclair, Oliver Veysey and Jeanne Elfant Festa, along with The Who’s long-time manager Bill Curbishley.

The fact that production is actually going forward on “The Real Me” is a milestone for Who frontman Daltrey, who’s been keen to make a film about Moon for years. A movie about the drummer has been in the works for well over a decade with various partners, and it’s believed Daltrey first discussed his ambitions for such an undertaking in the early 2000s.

The Wembley-born Moon joined the British rock outfit behind monster tracks such as “Pinball Wizard” and “Won’t Get Fooled Again” in 1964. The drummer soon fostered a reputation for a hard-partying lifestyle and on- and off-stage antics such as enthusiastically demolishing his drum kit and blowing up toilets with cherry bombs. Although he’s regarded as one of rock’s greatest drummers ever, he’s also known for a crippling alcohol and drug addiction, succumbing to the latter in 1978. Moon died from a drug overdose at his London apartment at only 32 years old.

Daltrey, 77, and Townshend, 76 — who’ve had a bickering love-hate relationship in the press for many years — are the two surviving members of The Who’s classic lineup. (Bassist John Entwistle died of a cocaine-induced heart attack in 2002 just as the band’s U.S. tour was kicking off.)

Daltrey said in 2018 that whomever plays Moon will have to have a certain look. “It’s going to be very, very dependent on the actor and the actor’s eyes,” the musician enthused to BBC 6Music in an interview. “Because you’ve got to cast it completely from the eyes because Moon had extraordinary eyes.”

In a separate 2018 interview with GQ, the musician reflected on the drummer’s character: “Keith lived his entire life as a fantasy. He was the funniest man I’ve ever known, but he was also the saddest; I’ve seen Keith in some terrible times. I saw him at his height, but then I saw him at his lowest. Keith is someone I love deeply, but who was a deeply troubled character.”

Speaking to Rolling Stone last year, Townshend was asked about the possibility of a biopic about The Who and replied that he was “not opposed to anything that might help me pay for my yachting.”

The band has yet to receive the biopic treatment and has in the past been critical of movies like Freddie Mercury pic “Bohemian Rhapsody.” The most notable movies to date that are connected to The Who include Ken Russell’s 1975 satirical musical drama “Tommy,” based on the band’s 1969 album of the same name, and rock opera “Quadrophenia” (1979), which was similarly based on a Who album. In 2007, Daltrey and Townshend participated in the documentary “Amazing Journey: The Story of The Who.”

[variety.com]

Posted by: daniel t ()
Date: February 7, 2022 14:16

They just announced the US 2022 tour.

[www.thewho.com]

Date: February 7, 2022 15:56

The Who Announce Dates for 2022 North American Tour

Band’s upcoming shows will once again pair Pete Townshend and Roger Daltrey with local symphonies

By Andy Greene
February 7, 2022

Robb Cohen/Invision/AP

The Who are heading back to North America in late April for an extensive tour that will keep them on the road through early November. They will once again be joined by local orchestras at every stop for an evening of music heavy on classics from Tommy, Quadrophenia, Who’s Next, and their 2019 LP Who in addition to selections from their other albums.

Some of the shows were originally booked for 2019 and delayed because Roger Daltrey was suffering from a vocal ailment, while others were scheduled for 2020 and postponed due to the pandemic. They have added several shows to the itinerary, and they’re calling the whole tour “The Who Hits Back!”

They first tried out the orchestra concept on 2019’s Moving On! tour. Pete Townshend and Roger Daltrey were joined for that run by their longtime drummer Zak Starkey, bassist Jon Button, guitarist-vocalist Simon Townshend (Pete’s brother), keyboardist Loren Gold, bassist Jon Button, background vocalist Billy Nicholls, orchestra conductor Keith Levenson, lead violinist Katie Jacoby, and lead cellist Audrey Snyder. That same team is back this time around, though they’ll be joined by additional keyboardist Emily Marshall.

Townshend says the presence of the orchestras gives him a focus he doesn’t have at traditional Who concerts. “It gives me a chance to make sure what I play, what I do, where I look, how I behave on the stage, is more connected with the people around me,” he tells Rolling Stone, “and with the audience, and with, to get prosaic about it, an inner sense.

“In other words,” he continues, “I don’t lose myself the way I did when I used to jump around, have a big adrenaline rush, and then come off the stage and someone would say, ‘Great show,’ or someone would say, ‘Terrible show,’ and I wouldn’t really know what I had done, to be honest, since I was like someone running a marathon. So the orchestra gives me space.”

Notable shows on the tour include a headlining set at the New Orleans Jazz Fest, a return to the original Woodstock site in Bethel Woods, New York, and the band’s first concert in Cincinnati, Ohio, since the 1979 gig where 11 Who fans died in a stampede shortly after the doors opened.

“At last, we can close the loop on the disaster that happened back in 1979,” says Townshend. “We’ve done a lot of work on that. There’s been a documentary [[i]The Who: The Night That Changed Rock[/i]] about it. This has been in the air for a while.”

And even though Daltrey is 77 and Townshend is 76, they’re not billing this as the band’s final tour. “Roger is of the opinion that he wants to sing until he drops,” says Townshend. “That’s not my philosophy of life. There are other things that I want to do, still want to do, and will do, I hope. I hope I’ll live long enough to do them.”

“But it’s not a farewell tour,” he continues. “Apart from anything else, we still have people who have tickets for the U.K. 2019 tour. We’re very, very keen to do that tour and we’ll be doing that tour in 2023, I think. But I’m I’m talking about stuff I don’t really know about. I don’t have any guarantees, like everybody else. I don’t really know for sure what’s going to happen next month.”

[www.rollingstone.com]

Date: February 7, 2022 16:48

Really glad the Stones didn't go the orchestra route....

Posted by: KSAM ()
Date: February 7, 2022 17:31

Saw them with the orchestra in Fenway Park pre-pandemic and it was excellent. AMEX presale for tour happening now!

[www.ticketmaster.com]

Posted by: rbk ()
Date: February 7, 2022 17:58

The Who opened their orchestra tour in my town a few years ago. Sadly, they were having a hell of a time with it much to Pete's chagrin ("This was a sh-t idea, Roger!").

The way it was explained to me; the local orchestra followed the violin and (I think viola) players that were part of the Who back up band. Together they played to a click track which Zakk would follow in his headphones and translate to drumming for Pete, Roger and the band to follow. They were forced to keep the volume low so they could hear each other. Hence the presentation felt apprehensive and not powerful at all. I guess they eventually worked out the bugs.

Date: February 7, 2022 21:11

The Hollywood Bowl shows w/ orchestra were fantastic, and looks like I'll be able to relive it all again there on November 1st - might even head down to Anaheim Oct. 28 at Honda Center arena for a preview.
The orchestral touches suits their music well, and clearly Pete and Roger (and a majority of fans) feel the same hence another lengthy tour with the same setup.

So many rave reviews to choose from the last leg of the tour, but Pat Francis from popculturebeast.com said it well:

"The Who hit the stage backed by a full orchestra and immediately had the audience in the palm of their hand by playing an opening 6 song set from their iconic rock opera “Tommy.”
The band perfectly blended with the strings to create the perfect mix of classical music and bombastic rock’n’roll".

> Long Live Rock

Posted by: Mirko ()
Date: February 7, 2022 23:02

They postponed and cancelled the last Royal Albert Shows.And now they will tour the USA. Very disappointing. They kick their European Fans in the face. Some days they said the fans should join the fan club to get tickets etc. Today you can read Amex-Presale starts before the Fanclub-Sale.What a joke!

Date: February 8, 2022 00:01

it’s a drag that they’re gonna have an orchestra with them again. i was really hoping that they wouldn’t. it’s not good when roger’s allowed to call the shots and pete’s guitar isn’t the star of the show.

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: February 8, 2022 00:06

Yes, the RAH postponements and cancellation were a bummer. I had great seats as well. Out of curiosity, I just checked tickets for Roger's solo show at the London Palladium and was shocked to find that a stall seat is basically £320, including service fee. Jeez... A far cry from the £13 I seem to remember paying to see him and Pete at Pryzm in Kingston. Now that was a true gem.

Date: February 8, 2022 00:35

highgatehillbilly
it’s a drag that they’re gonna have an orchestra with them again. i was really hoping that they wouldn’t. it’s not good when roger’s allowed to call the shots and pete’s guitar isn’t the star of the show.

I'm with you. It's rock-ish, not rock. I know some people liked it last tour but I'm not one of them. I listened to tapes of more than one show & it just didn't compel me to spend hundreds of dollars for tickets.

Posted by: mosthigh ()
Date: February 8, 2022 01:45

I thought the orchestra was the best part last time, and the band-only segment was a bit tepid. On the other hand, the 2016 Hits50 tour was way more rocking and better overall.

When the orchestra is in sync properly with the band, stuff like 'Overture' can be glorious (the Vancouver show I saw was considered one of the best of the tour, and Eddie Vedder showing up didn't hurt, either).

Giving Roger control of the band allows him to fine tune his vocals, but it lowers the stage volume and robs the music of its punch. The amount of plexiglass and baffles around the drums and amps was staggering.

Posted by: rattler2004 ()
Date: February 8, 2022 01:52

Orchestra?! Again?!

Sorry, I’ll pass

I was at the Houston show, that was only a few songs in, before Roger pulled the plug. What we did hear was unexpected and dull. Not exactly the show I was expecting from The Who.

Glad that others enjoyed them with the Orchestra, but it ain’t my cup of tea. Rather have them rip into a show like they did at Desert Trip.

the shoot 'em dead, brainbell jangler!

Date: February 8, 2022 03:09

From Rock Cellar:

The Who Announces ‘The Who Hits Back!’ 2022 North American Tour Dates

WHO

Starting this spring, Roger Daltrey and Pete Townshend will return to North America for The Who Hits Back!, a tour that will find the English rock legends and their band mates backed by “some of the finest orchestras in the United States and Canada,” per a news release. It will mark the Who’s stateside return after the Moving On! tour, which delighted audiences back in 2019 ( Who).

On The Who Hits Back! tour, the band will visit most of the cities and locations it was intending to play in 2020, before the pandemic took hold and paused everything. There will also be some additional new dates, such as the Who’s spot at the New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival, which was recently announced as well.

As for what to expect, personnel-wise, Daltrey and Towsnhend will be backed by guitarist/backup singer Simon Townshend, keyboardist Loren Gold, second keyboardist Emily Marshall, bassist Jon Button, drummer Zak Starkey and backing vocalist Billy Nicholls, along with orchestra conductor Keith Levenson, lead violinist Katie Jacoby and lead cellist Audrey Snyder. Together, the ensemble will play classics from the Who’s vaunted catalog and WHO, the group’s 2019 studio record.

Said Roger Daltrey of this new tour:

“Pete and I said we’d be back, but we didn’t think we’d have to wait for two years for the privilege. This is making the chance to perform feel even more special this time around.
So many livelihoods have been impacted due to Covid, so we are thrilled to get everyone back together – the band, the crew and the fans.
We’re gearing up for a great show that hits back in the only way The Who know how. By giving it everything we got.”

Posted by: Woz ()
Date: February 8, 2022 03:35

I was excited about this annoucement until I saw it's another symphony tour. I'll pass. The last great Who show I saw was at Desert Trip and I will hold onto that memory. the Symphony show in SF in 2019 was a nice novelty but lacked the "oomph" that makes the Who the bloody @#$%& Who. This is muzak.

Date: February 8, 2022 03:54

This should be an amazingly intense and emotional show - from WCPO Cincinnati:

The Who return to Cincinnati for their first show since 1979 tragedy
Proceeds go to PEM Memorial

Long Live Rock

CINCINNATI — The Who is finally returning to Cincinnati.

Forty-two years after 11 people were killed at the group's 1979 concert at Riverfront Coliseum, the legendary rock band and British Invasion legends will play TQL Stadium on May 15.
The band’s Cincinnati concert — its first since 1979 — was originally scheduled for April 23, 2020, at BB&T Arena in Kentucky. The coronavirus pandemic forced concert organizers to postpone in late March.
"I'm very excited about the fact that we leave behind a legacy for Cincinnati that that goes forward for you - and that's really important," Roger Daltrey, the band's lead singer, said. "We had this planned for 2020. As it turned out, the pandemic, in some ways has been a blessing because (TQL Stadium) wasn't finished in 2020. So we were going to be playing a much smaller venue. We're now playing in an even larger venue, which obviously will raise more revenue." Concert proceeds will go to the Pem Memorial, a scholarship fund created in memory of Stephan Preston, Jackie Eckerle and Karen Morrison. The three were Finneytown High School students who died outside the 1979 concert.

The 1979 tragedy was such a trauma for the band and the region that The Who hasn't returned to Cincinnati since. "It's a weird thing to have in your autobiography that, you know, 11 kids died at one of your concerts,” Townshend said during a 2019 interview for The Who: The Night that Changed Rock. “It's a strange, disturbing, heavy load to carry.” After fans charged at the stadium, the band wasn't even aware of what had happened. The crowd crush happened on the plaza outside; inside the arena, with walls between them and the paramedics and the sobbing survivors, the band played an entire concert before learning anyone had been hurt. "That dreadful night of the third of December became one of the worst dreams I've had in my life," Daltrey said. Bill Curbishley, the band's manager who witnessed the deaths and made the call to let the band play, said that night left its mark on him. "Despite everything, I still feel inadequate,” he said. “I don't know about the guys, but for me, I left a little bit of my soul in Cincinnati."

In 2019, the band finally resolved to come back to the Queen City. “It would be such a joyous occasion for us and such a healing thing, I think,” Townshend said in 2019. Daltrey said the band refused to play the former Riverfront Coliseum — now known as Heritage Bank Center — where the tragedy occurred. FC Cincinnati's president Jeff Berding said TQL Stadium seemed like an obvious choice. "When we designed the stadium, it was to have big events happen in Cincinnati, that would promote Cincinnati on the world stage," Berding said. After the band saw a mock-up for a show at TQL Stadium, and what it would potentially look like, the group's manager Bill Curbishley said they were sold. "When I heard about the soccer stadium, I jumped for that straight away," Curbishley said. "Because it's in the heart there. And guess what? It's something new. It's something to breathe life into the community. And it's the first show they've ever had, so it makes a statement."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-02-08 03:55 by Hairball.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...8687888990919293949596...LastNext
Current Page: 91 of 106

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2026
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home