Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...8182838485868788899091...LastNext
Current Page: 86 of 106
Re: OT: The Who stuff
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 27, 2021 15:46

mosthigh
I thought the songs with the orchestra were really the meat of the show, and the band-only section was good, but a little thin compared to the Hits50 tour. Bassist John Button is more Entwistle-ish than Pino Palladino, but not as big (ie. loud) sounding.
I was lucky enough to score a 3rd row ticket for the Vancouver show a few days before at more than half face. Add to that, Eddie Vedder showed up for a rare 'Punk & the Godfather' (a fave), then I read a crew members' FB post the next day and he said everyone in the Who camp agreed it was the best show of the tour, so far (with only 1 or 2 dates remaining on that leg). So there!tongue sticking out smiley

lol...I remember seeing the Eddie Vedder appearance on video soon after the show, and while never much of a fan of his (aside from a couple early Peal Jam tunes) it was a nice version.
To me Vedder's a bit like Dave Grohl, though I like Grohl much better. They're seemingly everywhere, collaborating with the biggest stars on the planet, yet not much of what they've done on their own will ever really stand the test of time. Vedder has a couple of well known albums with Pearl Jam from the 'early '90's, while Grohl and the Foo Fighters have a few random/sporadic decent tunes since the mid-'90's.

As far as you're "so there" comment lol, I attended both Desert Trip shows which had the same 50hits Who lineup, and they were the highlights along with Neil Young and Roger Waters - a tripe whammy of greatness. For the second weekend, I was able to pick up a three day Pit pass for apprx. $300 which were originally/officially being sold for $1500. Three days in the desert with Dylan, the Stones, Neil, McCartney, The Who, and Roger Waters repeated for two consecutive weekends with two Neil Young theaters shows in between...a ten day marathon of rock and roll that ranks up amongst the greatest rock and roll experiences I've ever had. So there. tongue sticking out smiley

Posted by: mosthigh ()
Date: April 28, 2021 00:02

Hairball
mosthigh
I thought the songs with the orchestra were really the meat of the show, and the band-only section was good, but a little thin compared to the Hits50 tour. Bassist John Button is more Entwistle-ish than Pino Palladino, but not as big (ie. loud) sounding.
I was lucky enough to score a 3rd row ticket for the Vancouver show a few days before at more than half face. Add to that, Eddie Vedder showed up for a rare 'Punk & the Godfather' (a fave), then I read a crew members' FB post the next day and he said everyone in the Who camp agreed it was the best show of the tour, so far (with only 1 or 2 dates remaining on that leg). So there!tongue sticking out smiley

lol...I remember seeing the Eddie Vedder appearance on video soon after the show, and while never much of a fan of his (aside from a couple early Peal Jam tunes) it was a nice version.
To me Vedder's a bit like Dave Grohl, though I like Grohl much better. They're seemingly everywhere, collaborating with the biggest stars on the planet, yet not much of what they've done on their own will ever really stand the test of time. Vedder has a couple of well known albums with Pearl Jam from the 'early '90's, while Grohl and the Foo Fighters have a few random/sporadic decent tunes since the mid-'90's.

As far as you're "so there" comment lol, I attended both Desert Trip shows which had the same 50hits Who lineup, and they were the highlights along with Neil Young and Roger Waters - a tripe whammy of greatness. For the second weekend, I was able to pick up a three day Pit pass for apprx. $300 which were originally/officially being sold for $1500. Three days in the desert with Dylan, the Stones, Neil, McCartney, The Who, and Roger Waters repeated for two consecutive weekends with two Neil Young theaters shows in between...a ten day marathon of rock and roll that ranks up amongst the greatest rock and roll experiences I've ever had. So there. tongue sticking out smiley

Oh yeah? Well I went to Desert Trip Weekend 2 and got a pit pass for a similar price. The Stones and The Who were meh, but Paul and Neil (especially together) were the bomb. So there!smileys with beer

Date: April 28, 2021 00:26

I see now I misspelled "triple whammy" above as "tripe whammy"...ha...there definitely was no tripe involved on either weekend whatsoever. lol

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: April 28, 2021 02:42

I'm still convinced that PTownshend was the real thing when he posted here just a few years ago.

I know this is a Rolling Stones fans site, but come back Pete...........we really miss your comments, and most of us love The Who as well as The Stones. thumbs up

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: May 1, 2021 06:03

I just received my super deluxe Sell Out from Amazon France and am enjoying it right now. So excellent. I don't have much boot Who stuff so all these bonus tracks and stuff are a revelation. Kool pictures and stuff too but the meat is in the music on this one.

jb

OT: The Who stuff
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: May 7, 2021 17:37

Tom Wright

“I’m still having fun with guitars”: Pete Townshend on Clapton, Hendrix, The Who and coping with lockdown life

By Jeff Slate
May 7. 2021

[guitar.com]

Posted by: dandelion1967 ()
Date: May 12, 2021 02:53

Love the reiusse! And so nice to hear Nicky Hopkins on almost all of Disc 3. Is he credited on the book?
Officially in "Dogs" Pete played piano, but to my ears always was Nicky. And in take 2 you can hear him creally. Also in Melancholia, Glow girl (harpsichord), Shakin all over, Little Billy, etc

--------------------------------------------

"I'm gonna walk... before they make me run"

--------------------------------------------

Posted by: rockerparis ()
Date: May 12, 2021 18:48

I've just received both of my Heinz limited Edition cans from Chicago Il.
Too bad they both arrived damaged even though they were well packed, Package is pristine
What Happened ?

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: May 13, 2021 00:40

Just seen that my local record shop, Banquet Records have got a gig list for Pryzm,as well as a couple of other Kingston venues including their record shop in Eden Street,Kingston.............. all subject to covid restrictions if things change.

Imelda May on September 22nd which takes my fancy for a good live gig. thumbs up

Pryzm was the venue for the four warm up gigs for Pete and Roger before their U.K. tour, which never happened unfortunately.

[www.banquetrecords.com]

I really admire what they have done for live music in the past,and hopefully if PTownshend is still looking at IORR he will remember how good those four gigs at Pryzm were, back in February 2020. thumbs up

Come back to Kingston Pete and Roger and warm up for the next U.K. Tour.
Not far away for them to get there and we would all love to see you again .smileys with beer

OT The Who - Rock and Roll
Posted by: mr_c_ox ()
Date: May 8, 2021 17:28

Hi,

I am looking for a song performed by the Who in 1979 at MSG called Rock and Roll. It is not the Zep song but an original that they never did anything with afterwards. Can anyone help me track down a recording of it? I can find it listed on a few boots but can't source them.

Thanks

Re: OT The Who - Rock and Roll
Posted by: Lynd8 ()
Date: May 8, 2021 19:16

I'm a huge fan but not familiar with them ever playing a song called Rock and Roll and I'm trying to think of what you're talking about. They did have a jam they played called "Dance it Away" They frequently segued this with "Dancing in The Streets"

[www.youtube.com]

If I'm dead wrong on this, sorry LOL

Posted by: GuessWho ()
Date: May 8, 2021 19:48

They also played "Long Live Rock" at various gigs in 1979....obviously doesn't fit the description (being officially released) but perhaps it was just a snippet you heard.

Could you post a link to the bootleg tracklists you mention - might help someone narrow down the track you are looking for.

This gives an excuse to post this link.

video: [www.youtube.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-05-08 19:52 by GuessWho.

Date: May 8, 2021 20:28

Thanks for the help. Its not Long live rock and roll! It is a song only performed twice. Its a real oddity! I have a suspicion that a recording may not exist. In 1979 The Who played a few songs that were never subsequently released and not necessarily bootlegged.

Date: May 8, 2021 20:31

"That's Rock n Roll"was played on 9/16/79.

[thewholive.net]

Maybe PTownshend can shed more light. ; )

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: May 8, 2021 20:59

I was at that show. Always wondered about that last song they played that night. They were on fire, that's for sure. The reason I love Empty Glass so much is that it actually captures some of the fire of those '79 Who gigs. Face Dances, not so much. Actually, not at all.

Anyway, here it is. "That's Rock & Roll" from September 16, 1979, the third night of a five-night run at Madison Square Garden.

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-05-08 21:05 by tatters.

Date: May 8, 2021 23:15

Thank you so much!!

Posted by: mosthigh ()
Date: May 8, 2021 23:21

Wow. Kinda foreshadows Townshend's Deep End thing with the punchy horns and all. Major deep cut even this avid Who boot collector never heard of.

Posted by: zeppo1 ()
Date: May 9, 2021 05:24

This is fascinating, thanks for posting.

It's interesting is that it is more of a spontaneous jam where Pete just seems to be winging it. The uploader posted more of these unreleased "songs" too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIZxHJzcB3A]I'm London[/url]

(build out of "Join Together")

Take a Fool

Blue Blue Blue

Since they are all Townshend singing, makes you wonder if he was just going off on a coked fuel jam tangent, with Roger off somewhere.

Even though, he also was working out some written songs for his solo record (Cats in the Cupboard, I am An Animal)...maybe these jams were the origins of these songs and finished later?

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: May 10, 2021 18:10

At least when I saw them on the 79 tour, in Buffalo, at a few points they bounced into 'jams' a few times. Off "Sparks", with the band on fire, just pouring energy onto the crowd like gasoline onto a fire, it seemed like they needed to bring it down a notch and started 'Dance It Away' and give Roger a few second break before launching into 'Won't Get Fooled Again'. This was the day after the tragedy in Cincinnati and the band looked exhausted but they somehow mustered an incredible amount of power and energy. At one point jamming and going into a little of 'Slip Kid'. Then to finish the show "Summertime Blues", into "Young Man Blues" and then into a 6:18 long hard jam that was basically built around the line: 'how can you do it all by yourself' and 'how can you do it alone'. Lyrically, anyway, the may have morphed into 'How Can You Do It Alone' on Face Dances. I still get chills thinking about that show.

Posted by: zeppo1 ()
Date: May 10, 2021 21:51

buffalo7478
At least when I saw them on the 79 tour, in Buffalo, at a few points they bounced into 'jams' a few times. Off "Sparks", with the band on fire, just pouring energy onto the crowd like gasoline onto a fire, it seemed like they needed to bring it down a notch and started 'Dance It Away' and give Roger a few second break before launching into 'Won't Get Fooled Again'. This was the day after the tragedy in Cincinnati and the band looked exhausted but they somehow mustered an incredible amount of power and energy. At one point jamming and going into a little of 'Slip Kid'. Then to finish the show "Summertime Blues", into "Young Man Blues" and then into a 6:18 long hard jam that was basically built around the line: 'how can you do it all by yourself' and 'how can you do it alone'. Lyrically, anyway, the may have morphed into 'How Can You Do It Alone' on Face Dances. I still get chills thinking about that show.

wow. what a fantastic experience.

makes you wonder why that early live energy/magic with Kenny Jones never translated to record and why they never really solidified into a new band. The stuff I see on YouTube --- and stuff like the Rockplast show looks so powerful. (and this is coming from someone who actually really likes Face Dances.)

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: May 11, 2021 19:20

Lol Zeppo1. I like Face Dances, too. The first tour with Kenny was great, saw them a few times. But 1982 shows sometimes lacked energy for sure. It was supposed to be a 'farewell tour' and they definitely seemed to be much less adventurous on-stage, less energy. They seemed to have fun at most of the shows I was at, but that fire was gone.

1989 was like seeing a tribute band. Fun but lacking.

1995 with Quadrophenia, at least the first half of the tour, was great. But later they seemed to be tired. I think, more than the Stones or Zep, The Who relied on testosterone and power that did not translate as they got older. I saw their last tour and I felt embarrassed for them at times.

OT: The Who stuff
Date: May 20, 2021 15:42

17 May 2021

Roger Daltrey announces 2021 solo tour dates

[www.thewho.com]

Date: May 20, 2021 18:11

Now there is someone who appears to have aged gracefully. No more wild singing and microphone twirling and no shirt, just sit there and concentrate on making music. Certain Rolling Stones ought to take a cue from Daltry. I would much rather that than to be jumping around and losing their breath and making a spectacle of themselves like they were still 20 years old while shoveling tuneless pap for the masses of aged teenyboppers.

jb

Date: May 20, 2021 23:35

bye bye johnny
17 May 2021

Roger Daltrey announces 2021 solo tour dates

[www.thewho.com]

Good for Roger, though I'd prefer to see The Who again!
If the Stones cant make it happen with their postponed tour, Mick might think about doing the same as Roger with a solo mini-tour.
As with the Roger tour though, doubt I would pay to go see Mick solo, but surely quite a few fans would.
Maybe he could play at a few small outdoor amphitheaters and State fairs such as Roger is doing .

Date: May 21, 2021 00:23

Yeah Jagger on the Fair circuit.

Funny, but ain't gonna happen. I cannot think of even one reason he would consider it.

Maybe he could open for Herman's Hermits? Or some Stones impersonator band? Thats who plays the Fair circuit.

jb

Date: May 21, 2021 00:27

And Roger Daltrey - Friday September 3: Washington State Fair, Puyallup, WA.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: May 21, 2021 00:36

Hairball

I saw this and I thought WTF?! Puyallup is a city of 40000 south of Seattle. As was mentioned above, I could picture Herman's Hermits or maybe even current version of the Beach Boys playing these types of fairs. There are several IORR members living in the Pacific Northwest so maybe a chance to see him.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: May 21, 2021 00:56

DGA35
Hairball

I saw this and I thought WTF?! Puyallup is a city of 40000 south of Seattle. As was mentioned above, I could picture Herman's Hermits or maybe even current version of the Beach Boys playing these types of fairs. There are several IORR members living in the Pacific Northwest so maybe a chance to see him.

They get good stuff at the fair sometimes. I've seen Flaming Lips (don't think the fair was ready for that) & Jeff Beck there. Dylan played 1 year with Lucinda Williams opening, too. Back to the Lips, they were stunning. Did their set & came back out to do a big chunk of Dark Side of the Moon. When Jeff Beck played, I snuck into the grandstand in the afternoon during soundcheck. Jeff saw us & gave us a tsk tsk sign but he was smiling. This was when Jennifer Batten was in the band.

Date: May 21, 2021 01:28

He is probably doing it either as a relaxed gig or because his tour manager booked him there and he must follow because thats where the money is. He is probably not booked at one fair after another (but I don't know, didn't look at his schedule) like would be so with the fair circuit level performers.

Anyway maybe I jumped the gun on the state fair thing, but I doubt Jagger would have anything to do with a rural USA small venue tour at this point.

jb

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: May 21, 2021 02:18

jbwelda
He is probably doing it either as a relaxed gig or because his tour manager booked him there and he must follow because thats where the money is. He is probably not booked at one fair after another (but I don't know, didn't look at his schedule) like would be so with the fair circuit level performers.

Anyway maybe I jumped the gun on the state fair thing, but I doubt Jagger would have anything to do with a rural USA small venue tour at this point.

jb

Wonder if he's doing the orchestra thing. I don't know how the Who tour did but Roger has lost a lot of money doing that over the years.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...8182838485868788899091...LastNext
Current Page: 86 of 106

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1738
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home