Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...8081828384858687888990...LastNext
Current Page: 85 of 106
Re: OT: The Who stuff
Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: February 27, 2021 04:37

When is this super deluxe set due to hit the streets? Is there a pre-order link yet? Checked Amazon and crickets.

jb

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: February 27, 2021 04:47

jbwelda
When is this super deluxe set due to hit the streets? Is there a pre-order link yet? Checked Amazon and crickets.

jb

It will be released in April. As of now the cheapest price is on Amazon France: [www.superdeluxeedition.com]

Date: February 27, 2021 05:41

Thank you, I should have known that site would have it.

jb

Date: February 27, 2021 06:00

In fact right now Amazon France seems to be selling it below what they say it is on the superdeluxe site. They say some 85 euro, while it was actually 76 euro when you put it in your basket. The actual page for the SD says 85, but it changes when you put it in your cart. So I grabbed one. Including postage it was still a good bit less than what the Amazon USA preorder price was.

I am a sucker for all that peripheral stuff and flashy packaging, plus the demos.

jb

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: March 2, 2021 23:26

Pete Townshend Is Happy to Live Off His Past

The Who guitarist Pete Townshend said he was comfortable to “cash in” on his past and added that he didn’t tour for the enjoyment of the experience.

He and singer Roger Daltrey recently announced an extended version of the band's 1967 album The Who Sell Out, which contains 46 previously unheard songs and a total of 112 tracks.

Asked in a recent interview how he dealt with the contrast between working on new projects and marking band anniversaries, Townshend told Uncut: “I cash in on my past! I live off it. If I tour with Roger, I make a bit of money, but I don’t do it because I love it. I do it because it keeps interest in the past. It leads us to a new audience sometimes.”

He noted that "the past is something I’m very, very proud of. I’m amazed at how much I achieved in the first five or six years of the Who’s career. At the same time, I’m not amazed or surprised that I eventually ran out of steam. I think it was very difficult when [drummer] Keith Moon died and when Kit Lambert, who was my friend and mentor and manager, died, which was all in the late ’70s and early ’80s. But I look back and just feel very lucky to have a catalog that people are still interested in.”

Townshend, now 75, was also asked to look back at the 1967 version of himself. “I was still growing,” he said. “A lot of people that talk to me about smashing guitars, for example, will say, ‘Oh, you must’ve been an angry young man.’ … I don’t think I was angry. I had a lovely girlfriend, good friends from art college and I had my own social circle, a very supportive bunch. So I felt okay about myself. I had an early friendship with a couple of other artists that I really liked. David Bowie was starting to emerge around that time, and he was a real friend. The [Rolling] Stones were friends of mine. In ’67, I was still seeing a lot of Brian Jones and hanging out with him.”

The guitarist also reflected on some of the reasons why the Who made relatively few albums throughout their career. “I think it was partly because I was the main writer, but we were also touring so much," Townshend explained. " I know that’s true of a lot of artists, but the way that I write is not with the band. I tend to write at home, which The Who Sell Out is a good testament to, because it’s got all the demos on, and you can see how I gathered material.”
[ultimateclassicrock.com]

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: March 3, 2021 11:47

Pete is definitely in the curmudgeon hall of fame. Not a bad thing!

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: March 4, 2021 08:37

paulywaul
Just got my refund from AXS for the two WHO tix I bought way back when .....

And now my refund from the RAH show has also come through.

S**t, am I going to see this great band ever again, I'm wondering ? Really !

Time is flying past (ever quicker it seems), no-one's getting any younger, COVID-19 (it would appear) has no immediate plans to conveniently f**k off and allow us to carry on with normal life as once upon a time we knew it, and so on. It seems as if the live music industry has pretty much moved everything back another 12 months, 2021 has given way to 2022. Some artists have just cancelled outright and are not bothering with rescheduling at all.

Dear o dear ! What has the world become ? A strange place (for many). The poor old live music industry has well and truly been relegated to the bottom of the list when it comes to "re-opening". Very sad. Personally, I'm not booking a thing until this pandemic is well and truly over and for all intents and purposes, things are once again as they once were ! Really cannot be arsed with all these disappointments, rescheduled dates, chasing refunds, changing travel restrictions, ongoing uncertainties, all too much of a f**king drag to be quite honest !

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 4, 2021 20:39

paulywaul
paulywaul

Time is flying past (ever quicker it seems), no-one's getting any younger, COVID-19 (it would appear) has no immediate plans to conveniently f**k off and allow us to carry on with normal life as once upon a time we knew it, and so on. It seems as if the live music industry has pretty much moved everything back another 12 months, 2021 has given way to 2022. Some artists have just cancelled outright and are not bothering with rescheduling at all.

Dear o dear ! What has the world become ? A strange place (for many). The poor old live music industry has well and truly been relegated to the bottom of the list when it comes to "re-opening". Very sad. Personally, I'm not booking a thing until this pandemic is well and truly over and for all intents and purposes, things are once again as they once were ! Really cannot be arsed with all these disappointments, rescheduled dates, chasing refunds, changing travel restrictions, ongoing uncertainties, all too much of a f**king drag to be quite honest !

I'm with you paulywaul. I'm not investing in anything until the coast is completely clear, or mostly clear to be realistic as this will be with us for a long time to come.
Opted for refunds for all shows as soon as I could last year whether cancelled or postponed, and am relieved that I did. A couple of the shows I had tix for have been postponed/rescheduled more than once,
a couple more are about to be postponed/rescheduled again, and a couple have been existing in postponement no-mans land for a year now - the Stones being one of them.
It's all become a soap opera, and I think The Who did the right thing by flat out canceling vs. dragging fans along endlessly w/another postponement.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-03-04 20:41 by Hairball.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: March 5, 2021 10:11

Hairball
paulywaul
paulywaul

I'm with you paulywaul. I'm not investing in anything until the coast is completely clear, or mostly clear to be realistic as this will be with us for a long time to come.
Opted for refunds for all shows as soon as I could last year whether cancelled or postponed, and am relieved that I did. A couple of the shows I had tix for have been postponed/rescheduled more than once,
a couple more are about to be postponed/rescheduled again, and a couple have been existing in postponement no-mans land for a year now - the Stones being one of them.
It's all become a soap opera, and I think The Who did the right thing by flat out canceling vs. dragging fans along endlessly w/another postponement.

I couldn't agree with you more, that's exactly what it's all become now - a right old soap opera ! And yes, the WHO did indeed do the right thing. They said bo**ocks to it all, and just outright cancelled the entire thing. In my opinion, other artists should do the same, instead of stringing us (and themselves) along and taking up this increasingly lengthy residence in no-mans land. It's absurd. One day (maybe and hopefully) things will return to normal, but if one were to be coldly realistic, you'd have to say that the day in question is still some good distance off ...

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Date: April 2, 2021 02:21

From The Who:

"With just over three weeks until the release of The Who Sell Out Super Deluxe Edition, a third batch of tracks “The Stereo Bonus Tracks”
are available on streaming services. Listen to new versions of I Can See For Miles, Facts Of Life and Magic Bus via the link below".

SELL OUT DELUXE

I Can See For Miles (Full Version):
The previously unreleased complete master featuring Pete’s count-in and guitar doodling on the intro and outro.

Facts Of Life (AKA Birds & Bees) (Backing Track New Remix):
When scouring The Who’s tape vault for this project, a backing track for ‘Facts Of Life’, a John Entwistle composition, was discovered.

Magic Bus (Take 6):
Several attempts were made to record this Bo Diddley-flavoured composition that Pete had written and demoed back in 1965.
Take 6 starts with Keith playing claves, Pete on electric guitar and John on bass before Keith crashes in on drums.
Roger and Pete provide guide vocals. This version was close to how the band performed the song on stage at the time.

Listening now on SELL OUT (spotify)

Posted by: MisterO ()
Date: April 2, 2021 02:33

How is Rodgers voice these days?

At his peek his voice and delivery were breathtaking.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: April 2, 2021 03:30

The Who’s Classic Albums Episode: The Who Sell Out - Documentary Premiere 4/22/21

nugs.net, the leading music platform for live concert streams and recordings, have partnered with The Who, UMe, and Mercury Studios, for the livestream premiere of their Classic Albums documentary, The Who Sell Out. The Who is one of the most influential rock bands of the 20th century with over 100 million records sold worldwide, and the documentary explores their groundbreaking record in detail, including a deep dive into the original multi-track recordings, as well as brand-new, exclusive interviews with Pete Townshend, Roger Daltrey, and album producers. Fans can tune in to the free livestream on Thursday, April 22nd at 6pm PT / 9pm ET at nugs.net/thewho. The episode will be available to stream on demand via nugs.net and the nugs.net YouTube page through Sunday, April 25th at 9pm PT / 12am ET. Streaming is available worldwide with the exception of the UK and Ireland.

[youtu.be]

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: April 13, 2021 00:20

I know we got all this great stuff from The Stones Outtakes with the three volumes with 50 tracks and the nine tracks from Davie more recently.

Still listening to the Stones stuff,and trying to take in all this great music to my ears, but also love to see Pete and Roger with their last live gigs, in Kingston............ back on February 14th 2020.

I was lucky enough to see two gigs on differant nights and was standing right behind the guy who took this video.
Great view and great atmosphere when they came on stage and did their thing.

I hope Pete and Roger will pick Pryzm venue in Kingston again,(as they know the old Kingston Granada from playing there previously 50 years or more ago), opposite The Spoons pub, to maybe do a few more acoustic gigs................before the next Tour. thumbs up

Posted by: johnnythunders ()
Date: April 13, 2021 11:47

"What's for tea darling?"

[heinztohome.co.uk]

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 13, 2021 11:54

Hey them Heinz signed Bean cans are wild ......

Great collector items if ya dont get hungry
like Hasil Adkins and the Warhol signed soup cans ....Go Hasil

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 13, 2021 12:16

ROCKMAN

Date: April 13, 2021 12:40

What a bargain!

Used my last can of beans last night so will get half a dozen of the signed super deluxe ones.

Will have to remember not to put the empty cans in my recycling bin.smiling smiley

OT: The Who stuff
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: April 16, 2021 20:53

Pete Townshend on the Who’s Uncertain Future and the Legacy of ‘The Who Sell Out’

He says the Beatles copied him when they made Sgt. Pepper, and that he’ll agree to a Who biopic if it helps him “pay for my yachting”

By Andy Greene
April 16, 2021

[www.rollingstone.com]

Date: April 17, 2021 15:38

Nice interview with Pete.

Thanks for posting bbj.smileys with beer

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: April 25, 2021 08:54

Great doc on The Who Sell Out

[www.youtube.com]

Date: April 25, 2021 17:21

Got a feeling this is the same documentary that I just caught the last 15 minutes of on Sky Arts TV channel here in UK.
Not available yet on YouTube in UK and Ireland .
Was just channel hopping and looked interesting.
Will be on again fairly soon hopefully. smileys with beer

Date: April 25, 2021 17:56

Hey Rockman, you feeling hungry........?

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: April 26, 2021 13:45

A word of warning to anyone thinking of making a long term investment in a signed tin of beanz..

True story. In London in the very early 1970s there was a very fashionable store called Biba. Most people think that they only sold ladies clothes, but they actually (at least at one stage) sold specially packaged tins of baked beans. Usual shape & size, but the tin was black with gold lettering. Not made by Heinz, but by 'Pickerings Food'.

Being a nerd for odd things I bought a tin and put it on display. For years and years it drew comments... and then one day....

We noticed that it was no longer a lovely perfect cylinder but was starting to bulge around the middle.

So to eliminate the chance of Captain Central being festooned with exploded baked beans I carefully used a can opener and removed the contents. (This was probably in about 2000). When the beans first appeared they looked perfect. They really did.

But in about 5 minutes they'd gone from a rich red brown colour to an evil grey colour.

So the moral is, don't buy a tin (signed or otherwise) and expect it to stay intact forever and the beans to remain edible.

But £57 for a signed tin seems a bargain.

(And as I type this I've realised WHY it's £57. Hilarious, good to know someone somewhere has a great sense of humour).

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: April 26, 2021 19:49

Date: April 27, 2021 03:04

Just got decent broadband today and so many great memories of this gig.

Very touching to see Roger talking to a fan at about 45:30 who was standing really near to me. smileys with beer

Been watching this gig on and off all day since I got this .................my best broadband ever. smileys with beer

Posted by: mosthigh ()
Date: April 27, 2021 06:02

Armenia, City in the Sky

is really

I'm An Ear, Sitting in the Sky

WHO would'a thought?

Date: April 27, 2021 06:31

crawdaddy
Just got decent broadband today and so many great memories of this gig.

Very touching to see Roger talking to a fan at about 45:30 who was standing really near to me. smileys with beer

Been watching this gig on and off all day since I got this .................my best broadband ever. smileys with beer

God Bless the Who, and LONG LIVE ROCK.

I haven't seen this video of that show, but I recall several here were able to attend - such a small, intimate, and unique setting and atmosphere.

The last two Who shows I saw were a couple of months prior to this at the Hollywood Bowl, and were sort of the opposite.
A massive outdoor setting with an orchestra accompanying the band for a good portion of the show, with a short band only set in the middle, along with Won't Get Fooled Again featuring only Roger and Pete.
Loved it at the time, and in hindsight those shows are easily up there with my favorite Who concerts...actually they're up there with my favorite concerts from any bands.

Posted by: mosthigh ()
Date: April 27, 2021 10:15

I thought the songs with the orchestra were really the meat of the show, and the band-only section was good, but a little thin compared to the Hits50 tour. Bassist John Button is more Entwistle-ish than Pino Palladino, but not as big (ie. loud) sounding.
I was lucky enough to score a 3rd row ticket for the Vancouver show a few days before at more than half face. Add to that, Eddie Vedder showed up for a rare 'Punk & the Godfather' (a fave), then I read a crew members' FB post the next day and he said everyone in the Who camp agreed it was the best show of the tour, so far (with only 1 or 2 dates remaining on that leg). So there!tongue sticking out smiley

Date: April 27, 2021 12:04

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-04-27 12:05 by peoplewitheyes.

Date: April 27, 2021 12:04

mosthigh
Armenia, City in the Sky

is really

I'm An Ear, Sitting in the Sky

WHO would'a thought?

Sounds like more bullshit from PT

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...8081828384858687888990...LastNext
Current Page: 85 of 106

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1955
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home