Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7980818283848586878889...LastNext
Current Page: 84 of 106
OT: The Who Sell Out Super Deluxe Edition
Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: February 2, 2021 20:51

This sounds truly wonderful. Would have been great to have a 5.1 mix too but you can't have everything. Thanks to Simon Nicholl for the tip.

Following Recent Super-Deluxe Editions And Multi-Format Releases Of Classic Who Albums – ‘My Generation’, ‘Tommy’ And ‘Quadrophenia’, And The Success Of ‘Live At Fillmore’, We Follow With The Who Sell Out – This Set Shaping Up To Be The Most Superlative Of All…!!

Released In December 1967 – The Album Reflected A Remarkable Year In Popular Culture. As Well As Being Forever Immortalised As The Moment When The Counterculture And The ‘Love Generation’ Went Global, 1967 Produced Tremendous Musical Upheavals As “Pop” Metamorphosed To “Rock”.
Originally Planned By Pete Townshend And The Band’s Managers, As A Loose Concept Album Including Jingles And Commercials Linking The Songs Styled As A Radio London Broadcast – Born Out Of Necessity As The Band’s Managers Wanted A New Album And There Weren’t Enough Songs.

The Original Plan Was To Sell Advertising Space On The Album – Jaguar Cars, Coca-Cola Etc. The Jingles Pay Tribute To The Pirate Radio Stations And Expose The Myths Of ‘Pop-Culture’ And Mock Consumer Society – Way Ahead Of Their Time…
The Homage To Pop-Art Is Evident In Both The Advertising Jingles And The Iconic Sleeve Design – Created By David King (Art Director At The Sunday Times) And Roger Law (Who Invented Spitting Image) Producing Four Giant Images For Each Band Member – Odorono Deodorant, Medac Spot Cream, Charles Atlas And Heinz Baked Beans (Roger Apparently Caught Pneumonia From Sitting In The Cold Beans For Too Long).

Photography By Renowned Portrait Photographer David Montgomery (Rare Out-Takes Included)
The Album Is A Bold Depiction Of The Period In Which It Was Made – The Tail-End Of The ‘Swinging-60s’ Meets Pop-Art Mixed With Psychedelia And Straight-Ahead Pop Craft. It’s Glorious Blend Of Classic Powerful Who Instrumentation, Melodic Harmonies, Satirical Lyrical Imagery Crystallised For What Was Only The Group’s Third Album – The Ambition And Scope Is Unrivalled By The Who, Or Any Others From That Period.

Within The Bold Concept, Were A Batch Of Fabulous And Diverse Songs – I Can See For Miles (A Top Ten Hit) Is A Who Classic, Rael, A Townshend ‘Mini-Opera’ With Musical Motifs That Reappeared In Tommy And The Psychedelic Blast Of Armenia City In The Sky And Relax Are Among The Very Best Material Of The 1960s.
One Of The Most Extraordinary Albums Of Any Era – It’s The Who’s Last ‘Pop’ Album. Two Years Later Came Tommy – A Double Concept Album About A Deaf, Dumb And Blind Kid…
“We Were Hoping To Get Free Jaguars. We Got Fifty Tins Of Free Baked Beans”
Pete Townshend

Super-Deluxe Edition
Disc 1 – Original Mono Mix, Mono As & Bs And Unreleased Mono Mixes
Disc 2 – Original Stereo Mix And Stereo Bonus Tracks
Disc 3 – Studio Out-Takes, ‘Fly-On-The-Wall’ Versions Of Early Takes Of Songs From The Album Sessions, ‘Studio Chat’ Etc. – Previously Unreleased
Disc 4 – ‘The Road To Tommy’ Will Contain Stereo Mixes Of The Studio Tracks Recorded In 1968 – Some Previously Unreleased – Plus 1968 As And Bs Mono Mixes (All Tracks Remixed From Original 4 And 8-Track Session Tapes In The Who Vault)
Disc 5 – 14 Of Pete Townshend’s Original Demos – Previously Unreleased & Exclusive To This Set…
Bonus 7” Discs:
Track UK 45 Repro:
Decca USA 45 Repro:
112 Tracks – Many Unreleased!
80-Page, Hard-Back Full-Colour Book, Including Rare Period Photos, Memorabilia &
Track Annotation And New Liner Notes By Pete Townshend
Comments From From Pete Drummond (Radio Caroline DJ), Chris Huston (Talentmasters Studio), Richard Evans (Designer), Roy Flynn (Speakeasy Club Manager), Arnold Schwartzman (Designer) & Andy Neill (Who Biographer)
Nine Posters & Inserts, Including Replicas Of…
20” X 30” Original Adrian George Poster
Gig Poster – City Hall, Newcastle: The Who, Traffic, Tremeloes Etc.
Saville Theatre 8-Page Programme.
Business Card For The Bag O’ Nails Club, Kingly Street.
Fan Club Photo Of Group.
Flyer For Bath Pavilion Concerts Including The Who.
Crack-Back Bumper Sticker For Wonderful Radio London.
Keith Moon’s Speakeasy Club Membership Card
Who Fan Club Newsletter.

Re: OT: The Who Sell Out Super Deluxe Edition
Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: February 2, 2021 21:34

Two or three good songs and a lot of filler. Not called "the Who Sell Out" for nothing. I bought the previous "deluxe" release and will not be falling for this. The Who always had spotty albums and this was the worst of them. In my opinion, of course...it was my opinion at the time and that remains unchanged.

jb

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: February 3, 2021 15:50

I have to admit, this does look like a fun way to spend a weekend in lockdown, but the fact is, no matter how many times they re-release this album, or how many additional bonus tracks are added to it, "I Can See for Miles" is still going to be the only undeniably great song. And this, coming from a lifelong Who obsessive. Well, almost a lifelong obsessive. It was four months before I got around to listening to their most recent studio album .... and I still haven't heard it in its entirety.

Posted by: dandelion1967 ()
Date: February 3, 2021 15:57

Intresting. Love this album

--------------------------------------------

"I'm gonna walk... before they make me run"

--------------------------------------------

Date: February 3, 2021 16:00

My favourite Who-album by far - great news!

Date: February 3, 2021 16:03

tatters
I have to admit, this does look like a fun way to spend a weekend in lockdown, but the fact is, no matter how many times they re-release this album, or how many additional bonus tracks are added to it, "I Can See for Miles" is still going to be the only undeniably great song. And this, coming from a lifelong Who obsessive. Well, almost a lifelong obsessive. It was four months before I got around to listening to their most recent studio album .... and I still haven't heard it in its entirety.

I think that maybe because of it's Englishness, those very London voices and those adverts made it an album appreciated by the band's UK fans more than anywhere else. The Who didn't really take off in America until Tommy and the subsequent live tours in 69 and 70 when they were basically playing the Live At Leeds set and pretty much defined what a rock band should sound like.

The album is pretty much a soundtrack to what life was like for teenagers in psychedelic London in 1967.

Date: February 3, 2021 16:03

DandelionPowderman
My favourite Who-album by far - great news!

Mine too, followed by Who's Next.

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: February 3, 2021 18:05

-Hmm, psychedelia is lacking edge, I guess. That`s why it`s so disliked by Stones fans. I feel no need of flashing any love of this music. Many loves it, me too. -No risk of saying so.

Re: OT: The Who stuff
Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: February 3, 2021 20:14

I was actually a Who fan from the beginning, or at least what I saw as the beginning, 65, 66, but I totally lost it after Tommy, and I thought Live at Leeds was pretty good at first but quickly tired of it. When they got "big" in America, I was already gone. Never did like big stadium shows. My favorite Who show was when they were opened for by Iron Butterfly, who tried so hard to upstage them, but failed miserably. This was at the Memorial Auditorium in Sacramento, a far far cry from later stadium shows.

Even with all that, never really cottoned to Who Sell Out, aside from, as I mentioned, a few songs.

jb

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: February 3, 2021 20:51

Fantastic - looking forward to this! thumbs up

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: February 4, 2021 13:41

I was well pleased with the Quadrophenia and Tommy super deluxes so I will probably get this as well, even if I don't think it's as good as the aforementioned ones. Pete always does a great job with these SD sets.

I would love a Who Are You super deluxe box as it is my favourite Who album along with Quadropheniasmileys with beer

Posted by: albop ()
Date: February 15, 2021 14:20

Unfortunately, The Who’s forthcoming UK and Ireland tour due March 2021 has now been cancelled. Customers can contact their point of purchase regarding refunds.

“We are very sorry that we have to cancel our planned March 2021 UK and Ireland shows. Please excuse the delay but we wanted to wait as long as possible to see if we could indeed play them. However, as you can see the current situation makes this impossible. Thanks for all your wonderful support and we hope to see you in the future when conditions allow.”
~ Roger Daltrey and Pete Townshend, 15 February 2021

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: February 15, 2021 22:30

I know most everyone hates them, but expanded Face Dances and (particularly) It's Hard would be wonderful listening for me.

Pete was in a crisis, and incredibly productive in the very early 80s (2 solo albums and these 2 Who ones) - with dark, personal lyrics, and experimental, beautifully crafted songs. Bridges and unexpected chords out of nowhere, plus the Ox was on fire on those two Who albums.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: February 16, 2021 02:11

crawdaddy
Here are the videos of early and late show Friday February 14th.
Hard to believe these terrific shows at the old Kingston Granada were one year ago.

[youtu.be]

[youtu.be]

Only just remembered that these two gigs at the old Granada in Kingston was the same venue they played an early show and late show about 50 years ago.

The good times will eventually be back again.smileys with beer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-02-16 14:56 by crawdaddy.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: February 16, 2021 16:43

albop
Unfortunately, The Who’s forthcoming UK and Ireland tour due March 2021 has now been cancelled. Customers can contact their point of purchase regarding refunds.

“We are very sorry that we have to cancel our planned March 2021 UK and Ireland shows. Please excuse the delay but we wanted to wait as long as possible to see if we could indeed play them. However, as you can see the current situation makes this impossible. Thanks for all your wonderful support and we hope to see you in the future when conditions allow.”

Yup, just got an email from the Royal Albert Hall, and will no doubt soon get one from TM or AXS about the Wembley Arena show. S**t was really looking forward to seeing the mighty WHO again ..... o well. Can't say the complete cancellation of the tour comes as any surprise.

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: ChrisL ()
Date: February 16, 2021 17:07

paulywaul
albop

Yup, just got an email from the Royal Albert Hall, and will no doubt soon get one from TM or AXS about the Wembley Arena show. S**t was really looking forward to seeing the mighty WHO again ..... o well. Can't say the complete cancellation of the tour comes as any surprise.

I got the email about the Wembley show yesterday. At least it said refunds will come.
The Albert Hall email I just got wants you to donate all of it to them, but if you want a refund they'll do it but minus fees. What fees?

Posted by: Valeswood ()
Date: February 16, 2021 18:31

ChrisL

The Albert Hall email I just got wants you to donate all of it to them, but if you want a refund they'll do it but minus fees. What fees?

£7.50 Booking fee
£3.00 Restoration Levy

I am not happy about paying these. Even Ticketb*stard give a 100% refund.

Date: February 16, 2021 18:43

I agree.............a refund should be a full refund for the amount of money that you paid.
It hasn't cost them anything to look after your money.

Date: February 16, 2021 22:10

Valeswood
ChrisL

£7.50 Booking fee
£3.00 Restoration Levy

Thanks. This really makes me upset. They’ve had hundreds of my pounds for a year and now they want to keep some of it because they canceled a show I still want to see.
It doesn’t seem fair.

Date: February 16, 2021 22:11

crawdaddy
I agree.............a refund should be a full refund for the amount of money that you paid.
It hasn't cost them anything to look after your money.

At least we got cheap tickets for the club shows, though.

Date: February 17, 2021 03:39

Very true ChrisL.

I was so lucky on the late afternoon of the first gigs, chatting to Gregor in the pub opposite the venue .
Kingston is my home town, and I didn't have a ticket, but hoping something would happen.
Got a phone call and cut a long story short ,got a ticket for the late show and two tickets for Feb 14th early show.
Great gigs and so thankful to the really nice guy from Poland, and the lovely young lady at Banquet Records who made it all possible. smileys with beer

Posted by: Adams ()
Date: February 17, 2021 17:45

ChrisL
Valeswood
ChrisL

£7.50 Booking fee
£3.00 Restoration Levy

Thanks. This really makes me upset. They’ve had hundreds of my pounds for a year and now they want to keep some of it because they canceled a show I still want to see.
It doesn’t seem fair.

I got the same e-mail. Maybe it is just a bait to exchange for vouchers, we'll see. I think that it is against their own policy which is on their website to charge fees for cancelled events.
When I checked it a month ago or so it said that for cancelled events they refund the full price.
Also last year when Noel Gallagher was cancelled for known reasons I got the full price refunded.

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: February 17, 2021 17:58

I was disappointed to learn that there's no rescheduled date for the RAH show. I get why, of course, but it could mean it's less likely that the show will ever happen.

The RAH is by all accounts in dire straits, like most other venues, and so it's probably desperately trying to hang on to whatever money it can and also hoping that people will donate by deciding against a refund. Some of its customers may be in ever direr straits, however...

Here's hoping that the two Patti Smith shows rescheduled to October won't suffer the same fate.

Posted by: Adams ()
Date: February 17, 2021 18:05

I would have chosen a voucher had I lived in London or close. I live in Poland so I don't want to hang on to a voucher that is valid for 2 years only as it is impossible to tell when the concerts will start and even if there is someone I want to see playing at The RAH I might not be able to travel on specific dates due to work and other things.

Date: February 17, 2021 18:17

Adams
I would have chosen a voucher had I lived in London or close. I live in Poland so I don't want to hang on to a voucher that is valid for 2 years only as it is impossible to tell when the concerts will start and even if there is someone I want to see playing at The RAH I might not be able to travel on specific dates due to work and other things.

I live in London, but I was just afraid the voucher would tie me to something that I never got anything out of. Like you said, who knows when shows will start again, and when they do, who knows if I'll want to go to anything.

Date: February 17, 2021 18:19

Beast
I was disappointed to learn that there's no rescheduled date for the RAH show. I get why, of course, but it could mean it's less likely that the show will ever happen.

The RAH is by all accounts in dire straits, like most other venues, and so it's probably desperately trying to hang on to whatever money it can and also hoping that people will donate by deciding against a refund. Some of its customers may be in ever direr straits, however...

Here's hoping that the two Patti Smith shows rescheduled to October won't suffer the same fate.

Yeah, they certainly seem to be in dire straits and need the money, but obviously skimming off the top of my purchase isn't going to make me want to donate to them ever, frankly.

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: February 17, 2021 19:36

Yes, it should at least be optional. I originally had two tickets and had one of them refunded last year when the show was rescheduled, which is many months ago now. I'm pretty sure that the refund back then was also minus the same deductions, so by now they must have raked in a fair amount from this method.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: February 26, 2021 15:19

Just got my refund from AXS for the two WHO tix I bought way back when .....

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: February 27, 2021 00:04

Pete and Roger still hanging onto my dosh.Gonna be another 5 days till refund.Hope the greedy blighters got a few pairs of slippers with all that interest.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: February 27, 2021 01:27

Silver Dagger

This sounds truly wonderful. Would have been great to have a 5.1 mix too but you can't have everything. Thanks to Simon Nicholl for the tip.

Tracklist: [www.videomuzic.eu]

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7980818283848586878889...LastNext
Current Page: 84 of 106

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1400
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home