Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7576777879808182838485...LastNext
Current Page: 80 of 106
Re: OT- The Who Announce Vintage Concerts Series On YouTube
Posted by: mosthigh ()
Date: August 7, 2020 08:55

I'm hoping for a better shot show from the 96/97 Quadrophenia tour. Better than the one they released about 15 years ago (filmed in Ohio?), with too much 'film' footage as filler, and not enough 'Who'.

A show or two from the US 2000 tour would be cool. Most shows were pro shot for the arena screens, and some have been unofficially released, like Camden NJ; Shoreline CA; Cal Expo CA; Atlanta GA; and Cleveland OH, to name a few.

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: August 7, 2020 10:44

I'd love it if they had footage from Newcastle after Quadrophenia was released. Seeing Pete lose his temper and kicking the equipment would be a AAA+ Rock n Roll moment, although it would've been so cool if they would have tried to get it together at that time to play the whole album. What song did he burst into, anyone remember?? I don't.

Shea Stadium 1982 is a beautiful start though, I got the VHS Maximum R n B but the deck have been f***ed for some years now so this is very much welcomesmileys with beer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-08-07 10:45 by MadMax.

Date: August 7, 2020 11:53

tommycharles
Interesting, the whole Shea was released by Eagle Rock a few years ago, it’s not like they couldn’t just show the whole thing...).

I hope the unreleased gig is from the orchestral tour last year. Those shows were brilliant.

(I also doubt they have any Moon-era video in the vault that we haven’t already seen... given they’ve released things like the London ‘69 show with bits of songs missing... if there were whole 70s shows still out there, we’d have them by now)

They're doing the same thing the Stones did earlier, it seems. Bonus tracks from the dvds.

Funny that they get a pat on the back in this thread, while the Stones were criticised heavily for the same thing smiling smiley

Posted by: mosthigh ()
Date: August 7, 2020 15:06

Another overlooked 1982 show is the first night in Toronto, Dec.16th. The second show was the 'last' and released for posterity ('Rocks America'), but I find it very lacking until the encore - however, the first night the band was on fire from the get-go, and the cameras were rolling.

Current copies have Pete's guitar very low in the mix, so a proper (official) release would be nice.

Posted by: Lynd8 ()
Date: August 8, 2020 01:45

Rumors on Hoffman site indicate the five tracks are previously unreleased? Was the whole show on DVD or not?

Re: OT: The Who stuff
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: August 8, 2020 18:45

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 8, 2020 19:10

At the time of this so-called "Farewell Tour" tour c.'82 seems The Who were sort of fading out of favor - at least for many who were around my age at the time. I was 19 and saw the show at the L.A. Coliseum, and have to say without hesitation (and I've said it here before), The Clash as openers were a hundred times better. More rebellious, and more rock and roll by far. The Who's most recent albums were Face Dances and It's Hard (possibly the weakest albums of their entire catalogue imo), while The Clash were riding high with perhaps their most popular album of their career - Combat Rock - not necessarily their best, but their biggest seller. The Clash's set was like an enormous earthquake in L.A. from start to finish, while the Who were nothing more than a harmless aftershock. They weren't horrible, but coming on after the Clash they seemed very old and tired. Contrast to a couple years earlier when I saw The Who at the L.A. Sports Arena in 1980, which up to that point was possibly the best concert I had ever seen (being 17 I hadn't seen too many yet), the difference was like night and day. In hindsight, the Coliseum show, the tour itself, and the Who as a band weren't quite as dinosaur-esque and old-fart-like as it seemed at the time, and I now look back fondly - though I still think those two albums stink for the most part.

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: August 8, 2020 23:56

Aaaaaah - LOVE those boys!! That was a shot in the arm for me. I never saw this footage before. Roger is looking very fit smiling smiley And John Entwistle
is great. Hoping and praying their London show now postponed till next March will goes ahead because I can’t wait to see them again My second all-time favourite band.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-08-09 11:53 by Beast.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: August 9, 2020 00:39

Thanks so much for posting bbj.
Got the e-mail yesterday about what The Who were putting out for us fans.

Had a really stressful day with the car breaking down and took 6 hours of hanging around, before the recovery firm came and got me back home.
Took the car to the local corona virus test centre to see a friend who works there for a quick in and out visit without getting out of the car.

They were all so nice the staff who worked there and were constantly offering me at a social distance of about 5 metres minimum, bottles of water, sandwiches and ice cream as it was a really hot afternoon.

Lovely people,all of them, and I was in my own little area of isolation in the huge car park, and even my own toilet ,for my own use.

It really opened up my eyes about how so many people are doing such a great job for the NHS.
Going to look at those youtube videos now of The Who in concert, and also remembering those gigs at Pryzm, Kingston back in February. smileys with beer

Date: August 9, 2020 02:35

Just watched this great stuff I never seen before from The Who .........and really ,really enjoyed it from 1982.

Love the playing of John Entwistle , but the whole band that night were great and on top form.

Looking forward to next Saturday night...........and whatever we may get.

Teenage Cancer Trust will definitely be getting a donation from me. smileys with beer

Posted by: frenki09 ()
Date: August 9, 2020 08:34

DandelionPowderman
They're doing the same thing the Stones did earlier, it seems. Bonus tracks from the dvds.

Funny that they get a pat on the back in this thread, while the Stones were criticized heavily for the same thing smiling smiley

It's hard to even compare The Stones with The Who when it comes to bonus material and giving fans what they want.

The Who released ALL their shows from 2002, 2006 and 2007 on DVD and on CDs (The Encore Series). ALL THEIR SHOWS! Let me think... Did the Stones give anything like that to fans? I can't recall...

Odds and Sods. Who's Missing. Two's Missing. Deluxe Editions. Tommy box set. My Generation box set. Quadrophenia box set. Maximum R&B box set. All The Who studio albums with bonus tracks (and not manipulated, re-recorded versions). Pete's demos. All of Pete's solo albums with bonus tracks. And the list goes on and on and on.

All the Stones reissues are rip offs. The Get Yer Ya Yas Out "box set" was a complete joke, a missed opportunity. The Vault Series is a nice idea, but why don't they keep them coming at a pace like the Dylan bootleg sets? And how about that "wonderful" disc with a few B-sides in the Steel Wheels box set? Do we really need that? And how about overpriced reissues? I know... I know... The Stones need the money. Big families to support.

You cannot even begin to compare The Who and The Stones when it comes to reissues and releasing stuff with the fans in mind.

The Who (and many others) make it look so easy! They make it feel like that there is a reason to celebrate when we get the Atlantic City shows. Dylan just releases his bootlegs one after the other without any fanfare.

Greedy Stones. Don't be blinded by rainbows.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-08-09 09:14 by frenki09.

Date: August 9, 2020 12:50

<You cannot even begin to compare The Who and The Stones when it comes to reissues and releasing stuff with the fans in mind>

I know, but these 'rare tracks' followed the 'Stones formula'. That was my point.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: August 13, 2020 17:43

Yeah the Stones are an epic fail with their catalog! I mean they have over 50 years of stuff to curate. And Mick gets too hung up on making it sound modern adding new vocals which are unnecessary. I mean it worked for some of the exile and Some Girls stuff, but the modern vocals don't fit. And it is obvious. I love Plundered my Soul, and No Spare Parts, but I think they could have been an added bonus to other material that was strictly archive material as is. And the Goats Head bound material is lazy and a waste. Other than three "new" songs, the rest are alternative mixes and instrumentals! LAZY.
They need to hire someone with some autonomy and expertise in their history and Start releasing accurately curated material and possibly then an "anthology" type project of video and music. The Kinks, The Who, and The Beatles have it down. And even Zeppelin to a certain extent. And of course Dylan! And even Bowie. Come on Stones! Get it together.

OT: The Who stuff
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: August 13, 2020 17:51

Date: August 13, 2020 19:39

whitem8
Yeah the Stones are an epic fail with their catalog! I mean they have over 50 years of stuff to curate. And Mick gets too hung up on making it sound modern adding new vocals which are unnecessary. I mean it worked for some of the exile and Some Girls stuff, but the modern vocals don't fit. And it is obvious. I love Plundered my Soul, and No Spare Parts, but I think they could have been an added bonus to other material that was strictly archive material as is. And the Goats Head bound material is lazy and a waste. Other than three "new" songs, the rest are alternative mixes and instrumentals! LAZY.
They need to hire someone with some autonomy and expertise in their history and Start releasing accurately curated material and possibly then an "anthology" type project of video and music. The Kinks, The Who, and The Beatles have it down. And even Zeppelin to a certain extent. And of course Dylan! And even Bowie. Come on Stones! Get it together.

While I agree with the gist of this post, the fact they can't even put together a new album of originals after all these years seems even more lazy and embarrassing for them.
Meanwhile, they've been wasting time promoting the GHS Deluxe album that should have been released without all the fanfare which is clearly a bit overindulgent.
I guess when you have nothing else to offer, you have to milk anything and everything as much as possible, but most functioning artists/bands of their vintage are actually still putting out new releases.

Posted by: Lynd8 ()
Date: August 13, 2020 21:54

I love both bands and have to say, at times it's way more enjoyable to be a Who fan. We've been treated to Pete's demos, nicely done deluxe boxes of Tommy, Quadrophenia, My Generation and loads of outtakes and lives shows. It's really sad that Mick cannot just let some of the 60s outtakes out of the bag in a nice collection. Aggravating

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 13, 2020 21:58

The Who, per capita, have a gazillion more compilations than the Stones.

Isn't that weird?

How many are there of The Beatles? 4.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: August 13, 2020 22:18

Did we run out of room on the new album thread to whine about the Stones?

Lawd.. I was concerned that might happen.

Date: August 13, 2020 22:26

Lynd8
I love both bands and have to say, at times it's way more enjoyable to be a Who fan. We've been treated to Pete's demos, nicely done deluxe boxes of Tommy, Quadrophenia, My Generation and loads of outtakes and lives shows. It's really sad that Mick cannot just let some of the 60s outtakes out of the bag in a nice collection. Aggravating

thumbs up

And The Who released an entire brand new album of originals just last year, while the Stones have released only one new original song since 2012. Very aggravating.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-08-13 22:27 by Hairball.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 13, 2020 22:31

Hairball
Lynd8

thumbs up

And The Who released an entire brand new album of originals just last year, while the Stones have released only one new original song since 2012. Very aggravating.

There have been quite a few dinosaur acts that have released several new albums since A BIGGER BANG came out!

Date: August 13, 2020 22:46

And how many studio albums have The Who released again? Was there any album between 1982 and 2004 at all?

An even longer span than between ABB and now (+ we got B&L).

So fans of other bands have been tormented as well smiling smiley

Date: August 13, 2020 23:07

GasLightStreet
Hairball
Lynd8

thumbs up

There have been quite a few dinosaur acts that have released several new albums since A BIGGER BANG came out!

Yeah, Neil and Bob, and even "Deep Purple" (if you can call them that) to name a few- hard to think of any other artist or band other than the Stones who have been so stagnant since the turn of this century.
The Stones give new meaning to the phrase all dried up, and now without touring sadly, the lack of creative output will become even more pronounced...hope they can get something new together soon.

Date: August 13, 2020 23:25

Roger mentioned about 'something unique for you', talking about the Hyde Park gig and saying a good version of 'The Seeker' ,which I think was third track on the DVD.
Maybe a differant camera angle for this song.

Should be good anyway as last Saturdays offering was great in my opinion.

Will bring back memories of that great day of music at Hyde Park, with The Who rounding the day off.

Myself and zgubi (Andreea), who a lot of us know from travelling to see The Stones, got ourselves on a pic which was in the booklet that came with the Hyde Park DVD.

Other Stones and Who fans who were right up front that day were Beast,paulywaul,grzegorz67 and Bluzdude from U.S.A.

Come on Mick,Keith,Ronnie and Charlie ...................give us something new or unseen footage that can cheer us up a bit in these troubled times.

Life will get better soon for all of us. smileys with beer

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: August 14, 2020 00:24

Hairball
GasLightStreet
Hairball
Lynd8

thumbs up

Yeah, Neil and Bob, and even "Deep Purple" (if you can call them that) to name a few- hard to think of any other artist or band other than the Stones who have been so stagnant since the turn of this century.
The Stones give new meaning to the phrase all dried up, and now without touring sadly, the lack of creative output will become even more pronounced...hope they can get something new together soon.

I get it now... you've missed all this!!
[iorr.org]

Welcome.

Date: August 14, 2020 00:29

A Stones forum filled with diehards where probably up to 90% of the topics are non-Stones related...nope I didn't miss a thing.
Meanwhile, the most active thread is about an album that's close to 50 years old....

Posted by: tommycharles ()
Date: August 14, 2020 01:05

I’m sure everyone’s seen it who wants to, but the Hyde Park gig is very good. It’s nice to see one from when Pino was still with the band - I much prefer his bass playing to Jon Button... Jon is a fine player in his own right but he sees his job as an Entwistle impersonator, where as Pino brought his own thing to the gig. Jon joining prompted Pete to comment that what Roger really wants is to be in a Who tribute act instead of in the current Who, which I think is pretty astute.

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: August 15, 2020 09:03

tommycharles
I’m sure everyone’s seen it who wants to, but the Hyde Park gig is very good. It’s nice to see one from when Pino was still with the band - I much prefer his bass playing to Jon Button... Jon is a fine player in his own right but he sees his job as an Entwistle impersonator, where as Pino brought his own thing to the gig. Jon joining prompted Pete to comment that what Roger really wants is to be in a Who tribute act instead of in the current Who, which I think is pretty astute.

So it was all up to Roger in the hiring of Jon? Why did they part with Pino anyway?

plexi

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: August 15, 2020 09:05

DandelionPowderman
And how many studio albums have The Who released again? Was there any album between 1982 and 2004 at all?

I think you meant between 1982 and 2006 which is when Endless Wire came out. Maybe the Stones
will catch their second wind too some day, but I know Hairball will disagree.

plexi

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-08-15 09:08 by timbernardis.

Date: August 15, 2020 09:40

timbernardis
DandelionPowderman

I think you meant between 1982 and 2006 which is when Endless Wire came out. Maybe the Stones
will catch their second wind too some day, but I know Hairball will disagree.

plexi

Yup, thanks.

Of course he will.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: August 15, 2020 12:40

Hairball
At the time of this so-called "Farewell Tour" tour c.'82 seems The Who were sort of fading out of favor - at least for many who were around my age at the time. I was 19 and saw the show at the L.A. Coliseum, and have to say without hesitation (and I've said it here before), The Clash as openers were a hundred times better. More rebellious, and more rock and roll by far. The Who's most recent albums were Face Dances and It's Hard (possibly the weakest albums of their entire catalogue imo), while The Clash were riding high with perhaps their most popular album of their career - Combat Rock - not necessarily their best, but their biggest seller. The Clash's set was like an enormous earthquake in L.A. from start to finish, while the Who were nothing more than a harmless aftershock. They weren't horrible, but coming on after the Clash they seemed very old and tired. Contrast to a couple years earlier when I saw The Who at the L.A. Sports Arena in 1980, which up to that point was possibly the best concert I had ever seen (being 17 I hadn't seen too many yet), the difference was like night and day. In hindsight, the Coliseum show, the tour itself, and the Who as a band weren't quite as dinosaur-esque and old-fart-like as it seemed at the time, and I now look back fondly - though I still think those two albums stink for the most part.

Totally agree, Hairball. Pete clearly wasn't into it the show I saw & the Clash were stunning. Interesting note: Pete wanted Midnight Oil to open for the tour (before they were much known outside of Australia) & they refused.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7576777879808182838485...LastNext
Current Page: 80 of 106

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1742
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home