Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7374757677787980818283...LastNext
Current Page: 78 of 106
Re: OT: The Who stuff
Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: March 18, 2020 13:55

Didn't Pete Townsend have hearing loss circa 1990? How was it repaired?

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: March 19, 2020 13:11

That's a long time to hang onto your money.
Got tickets for Leeds.
Have ticketmaster given the option of a refund?

Posted by: TKinOH ()
Date: March 28, 2020 04:53

[www.thewho.com]

Wondered when this one would get pushed back...

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: March 28, 2020 05:36

Chris Fountain

I don't think it ever was. He just learned to live with it.

Posted by: tommycharles ()
Date: March 28, 2020 07:16

RollingFreak
Chris Fountain

The main thing Pete has is tinnitus rather than hearing loss per se, and as mentioned, he mainly just lives with it, but he also keeps his strange volume very low compared to other acts. His Fender amps on stage are typically on 3/10, and if you notice they have these black cylinders all over the stage these days, they’re bass traps designed to absorb the sound of the band enabling the monitor volume to be kept very low.

He’s always mentioned headphones were the cause of his tinnitus rather than stage volume - and therefore he’s never gone for in ear monitors the way Roger and Mick do, though he did regularly wear big over the ear headphones when playing acoustic guitar in ‘06-‘07.

Posted by: ukcal ()
Date: March 28, 2020 15:32

I'm sure he tried some kind of hat that provided the ear plugs/monitor type sound?

maybe at their superbowl show

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: March 28, 2020 20:58

TRUE STORY ...

In March of 1976, I went to Boston with my schoolmate Bob for the second time in as many weeks to exchange our Who concert tickets... We had both been in Boston a few weeks earlier when a show by The Who ended abruptly because of drummer Keith Moon's sudden collapse and unconsciousness. (You can read about that here: [ultimateclassicrock.com] .)

I had managed to buy a ticket for that Moon-doomed show outside the old Boston Garden for twenty dollars. For an $8 ticket, this seemed like a lot at the time.

The Who had kicked things off with "I Can't Explain" and "Substitute." That's when Keith Moon collapsed. The band left the stage and the house lights came on. After several confused minutes, Roger Daltrey re-appeared. He apologized and said that Keith Moon was very sick and unable to perform. He promised that they'd come back and make it up. Many in the crowd booed. So then we won't come back! Daltrey responded. The house lights came on again. The show was over.

Some time after 9 pm... I had a few hours to kill until the bus back to Providence and I was hanging around in front of the stage, which had drapery hanging around the edge. I ducked behind the curtain unobserved. I was under the stage. I walked towards the back of the stage, walking quickly past a few guys behind the stage. I wandered the backstage halls at the Boston Garden, pushing open a door marked "Hospitality Room." There was no one inside. There was a lavish spread of food, which must have been for The Who, who obviously had already left the building. I was hungry... plus I felt ripped off -- on account of the cancelled show and the $20 / $8 ticket issue. Anyway, why should perfectly good food go to waste? So I helped myself.

I was walking down the hall eating a piece of chicken, when I heard "Hey you!"
I turned around belching and said "Me?"
"Show us your backstage pass!" they demanded.
"Well, yes... down the hall... my friend..." I stammered while I tried to hide the food and swallow.
That's when they threw me out a side door into a pile of dirty snow.

Back in Providence, I went to the school art supplies store and found a sheet of heavy colored paper that perfectly matched my ticket stub. I meticulously traced my ticket stub on a light box with a Rapidograph. When The Who's makeup concert was scheduled for April 1st, I went back with Bob to the Boston Garden box office. Just in case I got caught, Bob first exchanged my *real* ticket stub along with his. But I *didn't* get caught... LOL... Bob's jaw was hanging open as he watched me exchange the *fake* ticket stub!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-02 07:56 by schillid.

Posted by: ukcal ()
Date: March 30, 2020 18:10

New date for The Who's Teenage cancer trust show

Sat 20th Mar 2021, 6:45pm

at Royal Albert Hall, London

still some £93 tickets for sale

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: March 30, 2020 18:50

RollingFreak
Chris Fountain

Pete talks about his hearing loss. Loud headphone use.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-03-30 18:51 by Cooltoplady.

Posted by: DEmerson ()
Date: March 30, 2020 18:50

schillid - I was at that aborted Boston Who show. I didn't sneak backstage after though. :-)
I do recall, and I'm pretty sure this is correct, that when they came back for the make up show, it was the one time I saw Townshend smash his guitar.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: March 31, 2020 23:12

DEmerson
schillid - I was at that aborted Boston Who show. I didn't sneak backstage after though. :-)
I do recall, and I'm pretty sure this is correct, that when they came back for the make up show, it was the one time I saw Townshend smash his guitar.

Boston 1976 (Aborted Show) ... Problems start around 6:40
[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-03-31 23:14 by schillid.

Posted by: bam ()
Date: March 31, 2020 23:20

I was at the infamous Boston Garden show, as well. That’s quite a story, schillid.

The bottom didn’t sound right before they stopped playing, it was my first concert at the old Garden, and I thought it was just bad acoustics. If you listen to the tape above, you can hear Moon's drumming diminish before they stopped.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-03-31 23:28 by bam.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: April 1, 2020 21:14

Townsend is on a roll (from rs.com) : "The other thing I’ve done is looked at the possibility of starting work early — I was going to do this next year — but starting work early on writing new songs for another Who album, as the last one did so well."

Good to hear and heartbreaking when you're a Stones fan of course but did their latest album really do "so well" ?! According to Soldatti it dropped out of the charts like a stone ?

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: April 1, 2020 23:43

gotdablouse
Townsend is on a roll (from rs.com) : "The other thing I’ve done is looked at the possibility of starting work early — I was going to do this next year — but starting work early on writing new songs for another Who album, as the last one did so well."

Good to hear and heartbreaking when you're a Stones fan of course but did their latest album really do "so well" ?! According to Soldatti it dropped out of the charts like a stone ?

Yes I read the same interview, via Dylan's Expecting Rain site.
Pete seems quite mellow, happy with his lot and grateful to have a studio at his home in Wiltshire.Seems he prefers recording to live work. So he is composing, creating and working on various projects.
In contrast...to you know who....

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: April 1, 2020 23:47

I see he is talking about reworking the (already fabulous) Beads on One String

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 2, 2020 00:17

gotdablouse

The new album pleased alot of fans (and critics), and that's probably what he meant by "did so well". Nothing stays in the charts long these days, and sales aren't what they used to be - especially for classic rock bands, so the touring and a pat on the back for making new music seems to be the main incentive. Unfortunately the Stones don't care about making new music at all, no matter what reward is, and now that they can't even tour it's even more disturbing for the fans. Imagine if they released some surprise new music right now - even a single tune ala Dylan (though obviously not a 17 minute tune ala Dylan)- the fans would rejoice even if it's a shitty tune!

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: April 2, 2020 02:12

Pete Townshend interview with Matt Everitt of BBC Radio 6:

[www.bbc.co.uk]

- Part 1 @ 44 min
- Part 2 @ 1 hr 44 min

Date: April 2, 2020 20:20

‘The Ox’: New Book Reveals the Secret Life of Who Bassist John Entwistle

“My father wasn’t an angel,” explains Christopher Entwistle. “But he was a lovely bloke, generally. I didn’t want this book to be a fluff piece”

By Andy Greene
April 2, 2020

Tom Hill/WireImage/Getty Images

[www.rollingstone.com]

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: April 4, 2020 00:20

Listening to Long Beach 1971. The tape is the whole thing not the widely circulated edited version. It's just violent!!!!

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: April 4, 2020 00:24

Somewhat bizarrely the Entwhistle book is subtitled: " Last of the great Rock Stars".

Date: April 4, 2020 00:51

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: June 20, 2020 14:18

video: [m.youtube.com]

Dunno why, but I always loved this performance.

Posted by: tommycharles ()
Date: June 20, 2020 23:36

Paddy

Having just watched it, I don’t know why either ;-) Roger coming in too early on the Bridge, then deciding to bail on singing it completely (and the “know that the hypnotized never lie... do ya?!” moment is a key part of the song’s flow)... how many times had he sung WGFA by that point? Hundreds.

Kenny and Pete are both a good deal more animated than they were in ‘82, so it has that going for it. And John is solid as always. But listening to Kenny’s fills throughout are a clear example of how he wasn’t a great fit for The Who (though is a great rock and roll drummer in his own right).

Posted by: gustavobala ()
Date: June 21, 2020 00:18

some pages with thw who´s bootlegs 70´s ???

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: June 21, 2020 05:42

tommycharles
Paddy

Having just watched it, I don’t know why either ;-) Roger coming in too early on the Bridge, then deciding to bail on singing it completely (and the “know that the hypnotized never lie... do ya?!” moment is a key part of the song’s flow)... how many times had he sung WGFA by that point? Hundreds.

Kenny and Pete are both a good deal more animated than they were in ‘82, so it has that going for it. And John is solid as always. But listening to Kenny’s fills throughout are a clear example of how he wasn’t a great fit for The Who (though is a great rock and roll drummer in his own right).

It’s a bit chaotic, I don’t think they’d played together for 2-3 years until Live Aid, Pete tries to kick the mike stand, misses, falls over and then Roger tumbles In not letting Pete look like a tit on his own. I always liked the more chaotic side of the who, especially live. And this has a bit of it. After Moon no one was ever going to fill that hole. Kenny’s a great drummer, just not a great who drummer.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-06-22 20:35 by Paddy.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: June 23, 2020 20:50

Just been looking at the video of the early Who show in Kingston on February 14th.
The guy that took this video must have been right behind me on stage left,as that was exactly the view I had.
Hard to believe that a month or so later the UK was in lockdown.
We will all have the good times back again soon I'm sure.
Pubs and Restaurants due to open again in England on July 4th as well as the Derby Day horse racing, behind closed doors,at Epsom where I now live.

Live gigs will be back again this summer maybe, but at smaller venues outside with plenty of room to move around and keep to a social distance.smileys with beer

[youtu.be]

OT: Daltrey 1973 solo
Posted by: roryfaninva ()
Date: June 28, 2020 01:21

Rather generic early 70's solo LP tune, but Daltrey absolutely kills. Russ Ballard and Bob Henrit from Argent/Kinks. Live in studio w/backing vocal track.

[www.youtube.com]

Re: OT: Daltrey 1973 solo
Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: June 28, 2020 01:38

Generic?

I love this song!

It got heavy airplay on KRLA when first released. A year or so later, Leo Sayer, the writer of the tune, recorded his own version and launched his solo career.

You bringing up this song today is just too weird. This morning I was flipping through a book of Billboard Top 40 hits, and the page flipped open to Leo Sayer, and I skimmed the entry listing of his hits.

I hadn't given him a thought in years, and when I looked at it I recalled my first exposure to his work which was the song you cite.

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: June 28, 2020 01:46

Gave it a listen, and yes, sorry, it's rather generic. Right up there with, IMHO, Gilbert O'Sullivan's "Alone Again Naturally" and all those other MOR hits of the 70s.

Posted by: roryfaninva ()
Date: June 28, 2020 01:50

Gilbert O' Sullivan? Ouch! Dagger!
How about...

[www.youtube.com]

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7374757677787980818283...LastNext
Current Page: 78 of 106

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1493
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home