Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7071727374757677787980...LastNext
Current Page: 75 of 106
OT: The Who stuff
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: December 22, 2019 22:43

Pete's recent interview with Jane Stevenson of The Toronto Sun, published in two parts:

'Roger and I are at the end of our lives': Pete Townshend says prior to release of new Who disc

[torontosun.com]

'We sort of invented heavy metal': Pete Townshend talks The Who's legacy

[torontosun.com]

Re: OT: The Who stuff
Posted by: strat72 ()
Date: December 22, 2019 23:29

A good solid new album from The Who. I'm happy with that....

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: December 22, 2019 23:41

I'm finally getting the chance to sit back and spend some quality time listening to this. I'm very impressed, there are no tracks that make me cringe, and many that really move me. How I have missed Pete's songwriting. Interesting chord changes, bridges that catch you unexpected, and loads of Pete backing (and lead) vocals. The production is just sparkling too, with so many little touches that catch your ears on different listens.

If the Stones could produce anything even half as moving as The Who album I would be happy (and surprised).

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 22, 2019 23:44

Thanks for the interview links bye bye johnny.

"But they (Stones) also don’t seem to see much sign of creative development. I’m also very friendly with Mick (Jagger),
and I know he’s frustrated about the fact that it seems very difficult for them to come up with new material". - PT

Bummer.

"I’m hoping that Endless Wire will line up a little better now that we’ve put this album out.
I think people might go back and listen to it now and find it less awful than they originally thought". - PT

Lol...been a while since I've listened to it, but maybe I'll give it another chance and there will be some newfound appreciation...or maybe not.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-12-22 23:45 by Hairball.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: December 23, 2019 02:44

Hairball
Thanks for the interview links bye bye johnny.

"But they (Stones) also don’t seem to see much sign of creative development. I’m also very friendly with Mick (Jagger),
and I know he’s frustrated about the fact that it seems very difficult for them to come up with new material". - PT

Bummer.

"I’m hoping that Endless Wire will line up a little better now that we’ve put this album out.
I think people might go back and listen to it now and find it less awful than they originally thought". - PT

Lol...been a while since I've listened to it, but maybe I'll give it another chance and there will be some newfound appreciation...or maybe not.

think I "lost" Endless Wire.... eye rolling smiley

Posted by: ukcal ()
Date: December 23, 2019 11:42

i just dusted down the endless wire cd for a listen, opened up the case............ and its empty, enough said!

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: December 23, 2019 15:01

peoplewitheyes
I'm finally getting the chance to sit back and spend some quality time listening to this. I'm very impressed, there are no tracks that make me cringe, and many that really move me. How I have missed Pete's songwriting. Interesting chord changes, bridges that catch you unexpected, and loads of Pete backing (and lead) vocals. The production is just sparkling too, with so many little touches that catch your ears on different listens.

If the Stones could produce anything even half as moving as The Who album I would be happy (and surprised).

I like all this too, but vocally, I reckon Daltrey has completely lost it. He “sings” in one screaming key. Bloody terrible, and hard, to listen to. Like the first 5 tracks, like, not love, but then it’s downhill.

Rod

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: December 23, 2019 15:27

Am I the only one who Thinks Endless Wire pis*es all over the new one? EW is a wonky record in the same vein as Who By Numbers and Who Are You. The new one sounds like U2, and as Dandy pointed out, that autovox thing going on makes me cringe. Mike Post Theme, Marty Robins,,Black Widow's Eyes and the EW opera are up there with the best of The Who, the new one doesn't have one track standing up to them, unfortunately.

Date: December 23, 2019 18:49

ukcal
i just dusted down the endless wire cd for a listen, opened up the case............ and its empty, enough said!

Lol...haven't been able to locate mine - thought for sure it would have been stashed amongst my other Who cd's, but no such luck...or maybe it's good luck.
Might have slipped through the cracks behind a shelf, or maybe it's amongst the hundreds of dud cd's I keep in a separate area out of sight and out of mind.

Posted by: rebelhipi ()
Date: December 24, 2019 00:04

I really enjoy the new record.
Could even be my album of the year.

Posted by: tommycharles ()
Date: December 24, 2019 18:10

MadMax
Am I the only one who Thinks Endless Wire pis*es all over the new one? EW is a wonky record in the same vein as Who By Numbers and Who Are You. The new one sounds like U2, and as Dandy pointed out, that autovox thing going on makes me cringe. Mike Post Theme, Marty Robins,,Black Widow's Eyes and the EW opera are up there with the best of The Who, the new one doesn't have one track standing up to them, unfortunately.

The new one is much more accessible. At the moment I agree, with you, there's no Black Widows Eyes or It's Not Enough (why they don't do the latter live I've no idea, Rog does a good version of it on his solo tours...). But it's nice enough. It's one more Who record than I ever thought I'd get, and has some songs I really enjoy (Street Song and I Don't Wanna Get Wise in particular).

Editing to add: one thing the new record has over EW is Zak and Pino. EW was mostly done with Rachael’s band, and while they did... alright... it would have benefited from some musicians more versed in The Who’s sound.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-12-24 22:31 by tommycharles.

Posted by: john lomax ()
Date: December 24, 2019 21:38

It's a fantastic album - I think it's one if the best of 2019. Great songs and great playing and singing. Ig the Stones could do an album this good with lyrics this good and this current that would be amazing.

Posted by: TeaAtThree ()
Date: December 24, 2019 22:54

Getting WHO has sent me back to the mid-period albums (By Numbers and Who Are You), along with PT's solo albums Empty Glass and Chinese Eyes. I've never been a Who aficionado, but I'm really appreciating the quality of PT's songwriting -- each song seems to have verse, bridge, AND some third section that turns the song on its ear.

I will take the maturity and complexity of WHO over Bigger Bang any day. It's just a more interesting record.

I like that Pete Quote above about the Stones not creating any new material; it's really a shame.

T@3

Date: December 24, 2019 23:09

That's right, TeaAtThree, Pete Townshend is the master at adding some middle eight that comes out of nowhere, with chords and melody that twist and turn in ways that catch you off guard.

I also agree that it most reminds me of early 80s Who/PT, a rich vein of creativity for Pete in those years.

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: December 26, 2019 12:29

Just remember, it took Chuck Berry many years to put out his last album.

plexi

Date: December 26, 2019 12:30

Why is Pino not on this tour?

plexi

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: December 26, 2019 12:43

timbernardis
Just remember, it took Chuck Berry many years to put out his last album.

plexi

Yeah, it took him dying.

Date: December 26, 2019 16:44

timbernardis

plexi

Pino was in the band for the 2015 shows, but had other commitments in 2016, so they used Jon Button from Roger’s solo band. Rog decided that he likes Jon better as he sounds more like Entwistle, so he’s stayed on. Pete says Roger really wants to be in a Who tribute band.

Date: December 26, 2019 19:29

tommycharles
timbernardis

plexi

Pino was in the band for the 2015 shows, but had other commitments in 2016, so they used Jon Button from Roger’s solo band. Rog decided that he likes Jon better as he sounds more like Entwistle, so he’s stayed on. Pete says Roger really wants to be in a Who tribute band.

Pino was in the band for the Desert Trip shows in 2016, and pretty sure all of other shows leading up to Desert Trip.

Date: December 26, 2019 19:36

Hairball
tommycharles
timbernardis

plexi

Pino was in the band for the Desert Trip shows in 2016, and pretty sure all of other shows leading up to Desert Trip.

You're quite right, I had that mixed up. The "Hits 50!" tour went on for so long I was a year behind smiling smiley Pino played through the end of '16, Jon started with the RAH shows in '17.

OT: The Who album release club shows at Pryzm, Kingston in Feb. 2020
Posted by: satisfaction2 ()
Date: December 26, 2019 18:55

I`m so glad that I could order tix for early and late show in Kingston upon Thames on 12. February 2020.

I bought tix incl. Vinyl Picture LP (shipping Germany).

Anyone here who got LP or CD (outside UK) ?

Re: OT: The Who album release club shows at Pryzm, Kingston in Feb. 2020
Posted by: slewan ()
Date: December 26, 2019 19:05

a lot of things seem to go on in Kingston.

anyhow: isn't it strange that the Who are much cheaper than Ronnie Wood?

Posted by: satisfaction2 ()
Date: December 26, 2019 20:31

slewan
a lot of things seem to go on in Kingston.

anyhow: isn't it strange that the Who are much cheaper than Ronnie Wood?

Yes, Stones has to hurry and will be cost free....

In 2019 Ronnie concert in church. 2020 will start with The Who in a club. Maybe we got much more fun in Kingston in 2020.

Posted by: Lynd8 ()
Date: December 27, 2019 01:42

Hoping this is filmed, The Who never did a proper unplugged-type release.

Date: December 27, 2019 05:50

Lynd8
Hoping this is filmed, The Who never did a proper unplugged-type release.

Suspecting this is the point, a la Stones at the Fonda.

plexi

Date: January 16, 2020 22:09

Jazz Fest 2020 Music Lineup Announced!
View the daily lineup and ticket information at nojazzfest.com
#jazzfest

[twitter.com]

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: January 16, 2020 22:11

Jeez, the "Beach Boys"? Give it a rest already, MIKE.

Date: January 16, 2020 23:16

Sponsored by Shell? That's terrible

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: January 16, 2020 23:27

peoplewitheyes
Sponsored by Shell? That's terrible
Really bad optics.

At least it's not sponsored by BP after they destroyed the Gulf.

OT: The Who stuff
Date: January 16, 2020 23:34

The Who are headlining on April 25 @ New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival
@JazzFest takes place April 23-May 3 and features 650+ bands on 14 stages.
Visit [nojazzfest.com] for full lineup & ticket info. #jazzfest

[twitter.com]

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7071727374757677787980...LastNext
Current Page: 75 of 106

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1588
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home