Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...6768697071727374757677...LastNext
Current Page: 72 of 106
Re: OT: The Who stuff
Posted by: TKinOH ()
Date: December 5, 2019 04:20

Gotta put Highland Heights on my schedule...

Last saw them in Dayton in '96 when they toured Quadrophenia, the first time they were in the area since that tragic night in '79.

If anyone visits the Cincinnati riverfront, there's a plaque erected on the plaza between Great American Ball Park and Heritage Bank Center, the new name of Riverfront Coliseum, that has the brief story of the tragedy with the names of the 11 lost that night on the other side.

Posted by: rattler2004 ()
Date: December 5, 2019 17:45

tonyc
kovach
Got an email yesterday saying the new CD has shipped!

Every Ticketmaster purchase of tickets to this tour receives 1 copy.

Every Ticketmaster purchase of two tickets receives one copy. Driving alone three hours to Nashville and back for me to see them for the first time does not entitle me to a copy.

I bought three tickets and received the email yesterday that three copies of the cd where shipped.

the shoot 'em dead, brainbell jangler!

Posted by: tonyc ()
Date: December 5, 2019 18:43

rattler2004
tonyc
kovach

Every Ticketmaster purchase of two tickets receives one copy. Driving alone three hours to Nashville and back for me to see them for the first time does not entitle me to a copy.

I bought three tickets and received the email yesterday that three copies of the cd where shipped.

Well, I know when I ordered one ticket I was excluded. Not the biggest deal in the world but the first time that exclusion was on a ticket I bought. Usually get 2/3 CDs for 2/3 tickets at other shows like you said.

More upset I paid $70+ to see them on day of sale because I was so excited and then there were $5 tickets available in my section the day of show.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-12-05 18:45 by tonyc.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: December 6, 2019 01:49

I listened to part of the new record. Meh. I will listen again. It feels like they were never in the same room for the recording. At this point, I think I'd rather hear a good Pete solo record with him singing.

Date: December 6, 2019 02:48

tonyc
rattler2004
tonyc
kovach

Well, I know when I ordered one ticket I was excluded. Not the biggest deal in the world but the first time that exclusion was on a ticket I bought. Usually get 2/3 CDs for 2/3 tickets at other shows like you said.

More upset I paid $70+ to see them on day of sale because I was so excited and then there were $5 tickets available in my section the day of show.

Could’ve been worse...my show was the Houston show that was abruptly stopped after Eminence Front

Posted by: TKinOH ()
Date: December 6, 2019 04:43

Got a great seat for the Highland Heights, KY show through the presale tonight...

Really lookin' forward to this show, should be an emotional one to reflect on the tragedy of 12-3-79 at Riverfront Coliseum...

Posted by: WorriedAboutYou ()
Date: December 6, 2019 14:01

crholmstrom
I listened to part of the new record. Meh. I will listen again. It feels like they were never in the same room for the recording. At this point, I think I'd rather hear a good Pete solo record with him singing.

Yeah, Pete confirmed in that recent Rolling Stone interview that they recorded the album completely separately from each other. I think it really shows. The album feels flat and disconnected. And if Rog had been in the studio with Pete maybe they could have edited some of the dreadful, cringeworthy lyrics.

Posted by: tonyc ()
Date: December 6, 2019 14:05

Sorry about your show rattler2004. But, if you did not have to travel far for that one, that would have been a cool one to see. Plus you end up getting almost two shows for the price of one.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2019-12-12 19:04 by tonyc.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: December 6, 2019 18:32

Yeah, I fell for the hype. Overall not pleased with the record. Maybe 5 really good songs out of 14,the deluxe edition.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 6, 2019 19:09

frankotero
Yeah, I fell for the hype. Overall not pleased with the record. Maybe 5 really good songs out of 14,the deluxe edition.

Haven't heard it yet other than the few tunes that have been released and/or played live (which I thought were good for the most part), but if the Stones new album has 5 of 14 really good songs I will rejoice.
With that is mind, five really good new Who tunes are better than zero new Stones tunes so hoping the Stones will eventually be able to match or surpass the Who's latest....maybe we'll get 6 out of 14.
Then again, still have to wonder if we'll ever see a new Stones album at all?

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: December 6, 2019 19:26

The best songs are the 3 they released before the album, plus Detour and Pete's last bonus song, forgot the title. After that there's a few decent ones, and 2 or 3 I really don't like. But maybe it will grow on me.

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: December 6, 2019 20:31

Just listened through the deluxe edition as I received it today with the post. Not as good as Endless Wire but yeah maybe it will grow on me.

Date: December 6, 2019 20:39

Via Rock Cellar w/vids and links to all songs on spotify (though I'm holding out until cd arrives) - some more praise for the new WHO.

The Who Sound as Confident — and Defiant — As Ever on New Album

WHO

"These guys are living legends, and there’s a swagger and bravado on display throughout WHO that can’t be denied".

"The end result is a record that has something for everyone, at least in terms of what fans might expect from the Who in 2019".

Posted by: tommycharles ()
Date: December 6, 2019 22:59

WorriedAboutYou
crholmstrom
Yeah, Pete confirmed in that recent Rolling Stone interview that they recorded the album completely separately from each other. I think it really shows. The album feels flat and disconnected. And if Rog had been in the studio with Pete maybe they could have edited some of the dreadful, cringeworthy lyrics.

Roger has said a couple of times that he tweaked the lyrics as he went to make sure they were things he was comfortable/believable singing. So I think they’ve been more “edited” here than on any other Who project.

Posted by: john lomax ()
Date: December 6, 2019 23:04

frankotero

I disagree - I think it's a fantastic album.that gets better with each listen. Great lyrics and amazing performances..I word go as far as to put it in the top 3 of Who albums. If only the Stones could get their act together to record an album of this quality.....

Date: December 6, 2019 23:32

frankotero

I disagree as well...it’s not their best, but its quite good

Date: December 6, 2019 23:33

I like what I'm hearing, but that damn autotune.. really? The album is drenched in it. The choruses, and even the high notes.

Solid and strong songwriting, though. Sounds like classic Who. Roger impresses.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-12-07 13:16 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: December 6, 2019 23:52

According to some interviews, at least Roger vetoed the rap that was written for him by Pete.

Somehow Rap and The WHO just don't belong in the same sentence, just as Rap and the Stones don't belong in the same sentence (as they proved with Anybody Seen My Baby).
If it didn't work with the Stones, not a chance it could work with The Who, and to make it worse, it would have been Roger instead of a guest rapper...hard to even imagine.

Posted by: stone66 ()
Date: December 7, 2019 01:04

Hairball
Somehow Rap and The WHO just don't belong in the same sentence

Pete made it work pretty well for the "Gateway Remix" of Who Are You: [www.youtube.com]

Date: December 7, 2019 01:09

stone66
Hairball
Somehow Rap and The WHO just don't belong in the same sentence

Pete made it work pretty well for the "Gateway Remix" of Who Are You: [www.youtube.com]

Hmmm...not really, it sounds like pure hell imo.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-12-07 01:10 by Hairball.

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: December 7, 2019 07:35

Pete has always been way more ambitious and experimental than the Stones, and although people freak out when they hear the word 'rap', he has toyed with some of that type of poetic/wordplay before - Uniforms (an '82 solo song) has some of those elements.

Anyways, I'm on a manic trip through Europe to Greece so don't have any quality time to listen to the album yet. When I get to southern Greece, I'm going to kick back and check it out for sure.

Posted by: ron091 ()
Date: December 7, 2019 12:53

The first 7 songs on the Who album qualify as the album of the year all by themselves. The rest are ok but filler. I wish we could say the same for the Stones soon!

Date: December 7, 2019 13:15

Reviewed the new WHO album for The Arts Desk. The first two songs, Detour, Beads, Break the News, Rockin in Rage and She Rocked MY World are great Who songs IMHO, Roger especially good on the last three, esp the two slower songs. Townshend has this rock-infused musical theatre way of writing - goes back to By Numbers I'm sure - and it's Who Are You and Numbers that this album resembles.Really enjoyed it, it's a lift of an album....

https://theartsdesk.com/new-music/cd-who-who

Date: December 7, 2019 14:27

I didn't mind the album too much. I did not want to like it. And I still think that out of 11 songs 9 sound like the same song, with some auto tune thrown in. "Ill Be Back", and the last track "Rock my world" are a bit more adventurous.
I get that Pete feels the need to stamp it off with one more "Who" album, but this would have been better IMO as a Pete solo album, with Pino, Zak and Simon as his band.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: December 7, 2019 14:36

I guess there’s a few good songs but all in all it’s just quite boring. What a let down after all the hype.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: December 7, 2019 14:52

Have to say I quite like it, with some fairly memorable songs and excellent playing throughout, the latter was really the sore point on ABB :-(

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: December 7, 2019 15:52

Beads on one string is cute and really good!

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: December 7, 2019 15:55

I like it,sure some fillers,but all in all a good album.

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: December 7, 2019 17:46

Just noticed special Jonathan Ross show on ITV tonight featuring The Who:

A special appearance by one of the most famous bands in the history of music, The Who, chatting and performing in the studio ahead of their first new album in 13 years.

Date: December 7, 2019 20:33

Review from Variety:

WHO

"...let’s be honest and say this isn’t an album you’re going to return to the way you would a “Quadrophenia” —
but it does feel like a handwritten letter from a friend who’s been through some of the same shit you have".

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...6768697071727374757677...LastNext
Current Page: 72 of 106

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1631
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home