Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...6566676869707172737475...LastNext
Current Page: 70 of 106
Re: OT: The Who stuff
Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: November 5, 2019 18:12

keefriff99
I'd seen that footage of Pete sliding to his knees before, but I didn't know where it was from. It's just beyond epic...it captures everything great about the Who in just a few seconds.

Which was exactly what they were going for. Pete wanted to ham it up as best he could for the cameras so that there was some controlled preserved visual of the Who at the peak of their powers and to say he nailed it is an understatement. That slide and construction of that shot is so made for a giant cinema screen and it works so perfectly. That performance is the perfect blend of "needs to be visually great" while also still being real to what that band was. You wouldn't get as controlled of a performance during an actual live concert. I'd argue their other definitive filmed performance is their Rock And Roll Circus on which is just absolutely breathtaking (I never thought "better" than the Stones, but certainly a watershed time in the Who's career and that performance is the personification of it).

Of course what's even more bittersweet about the Shepperton stuff is Keith died so soon after. I can't imagine Pete saw that coming, but thank @#$%& god they got that down on film while they could.

Posted by: Javadave ()
Date: November 18, 2019 19:18

Here's a new interview with Pete from NPR's World Cafe:

[www.npr.org]

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: November 18, 2019 20:36

Pete was very interesting in conversation at an interview event in central London a couple of weeks ago. He mentioned that he lives in a house owned by Ronnie, and Mr W would frequently turn up at Christmas inviting himself in.

A couple of days later my wife and young kids were thrilled to meet PT at a book signing event, and got some signatures (I had to work, unfortunately)

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: November 18, 2019 21:07

keefriff99
I'm sure all you Who fans have seen this footage from Shepperton Studios in 1978, but WOW. I'm just blown away by the crystal-clear video quality and the brilliant performances:

[youtu.be]

[youtu.be]

Also, this promo video for Who Are You is great...lots of footage of Keith Moon being hilarious:

[youtu.be]

All great stuff. I had a "Who day" Saturday, home alone and armed with LP's and cd's. Tommy studio SACD 5.1, Live at Leeds 1995 Hoffman Canadian cd and also Deluxe edition cd's. Who's Next 1995 cd, as well as Quadrophenia LP 1979 Japanese reissue. Turned up loud The Who are magnificent hour after hour. What an assault.

I still believe my right ear was never quite the same after a concert in Phoenix during the Who's Next Tour in 1971. That was pain threshold LOUD at the end of the show.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 19, 2019 21:05

Congrats to The Who

The Who are first honored as London unveils Music Walk of Fame

“As Londoners, it’s very surreal to be immortalised in stone on Camden High Street,” said The Who in a statement.

WHO

Posted by: ukcal ()
Date: November 21, 2019 14:03

Roger also said he couldn't talk much as he was off for a voice operation next week....so no live tv appearances to back the new album then!...unless already recorded?

Date: November 21, 2019 15:42

A pretty favourable review from the German Rolling Stone mag:

Read it here!

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 21, 2019 19:30

New documentary about the 1979 concert tragedy in Cincinnati, including interviews with Pete and Roger:

The Who: The Night That Changed Rock

"This 60-minute documentary will air Dec. 3, the 40th anniversary of the tragedy, at 8 p.m. Eastern on WCPO-TV and stream live on wcpo.com.
The documentary and expanded interviews will also be available wherever you stream WCPO. A companion podcast will be available Dec. 4".

wcpo.com

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: November 21, 2019 19:48

Hairball
Congrats to The Who

The Who are first honored as London unveils Music Walk of Fame

“As Londoners, it’s very surreal to be immortalised in stone on Camden High Street,” said The Who in a statement.

WHO

They deserve every bit of it! I also never forget how they supported the Stones during disaster year 1967!
Camden High Street will be even more popular from now on!

Date: November 21, 2019 19:50

An obvious thing, but just sometimes where it hits me that they are still here and we are so lucky for that. Glad to see them get honored even if its old hat by this point and very thankful to live in the same time as their second half.

OT: The Who stuff
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: November 22, 2019 16:28

We've got one more track for you before 'WHO' drops on the 6th of December! 'I Don't Wanna Get Wise' is available now. Check out Pete's insights on the track in the replies! [TheWho.lnk.to]

[twitter.com]

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: November 22, 2019 20:37

Pretty good track ! I have to say Daltrey's studio voice is much more listenable these days than Macca's...

Somre more tidbits here [www.rollingstone.com] with info on two bonus tracks from the 60s.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: November 22, 2019 23:34

The Who: The Night That Changed Rock

Pete Townshend and Roger Daltrey sit down for their very first long-form television interview about what happened 40 years ago when 11 people died outside Riverfront Coliseum in Cincinnati, Ohio.

The Who band members Pete Townshend and Roger Daltrey share their detailed personal accounts of what happened the night of 3 December 1979, when 11 young people were killed outside a coliseum before their concert started. In the WCPO documentary, The Who: The Night That Changed Rock, they talk about how this single event forever changed rock and the lives of so many people. While they didn’t know about the deaths until after the concert ended, they have lived with the pain of the losses for 40 years.

“You know, I’m still traumatized by it,” says Pete Townshend. “It’s a weird thing to have in your autobiography that, you know, 11 kids died at one of your concerts. It’s a strange, disturbing, heavy load to carry.”

“That dreadful night of the third of December became one of the worst dreams I’ve had in my life,” recounts Roger Daltrey.

The band’s long-time manager, Bill Curbishley, witnessed the deaths and made the call to let the band play. “Despite everything,” says Curbishley, “I still feel inadequate. I don’t know about the guys, but for me, I left a little bit of my soul in Cincinnati.”

Survivors of that night and family members of some of the victims also provide new and chilling accounts of the crowd crush responsible for the deaths. They share intimate details of their loved ones to mark 40 years since the event. The band members and Finneytown residents also reveal a special relationship between The Who and Finneytown High School, where three of the victims were students. The documentary shares how that relationship has turned a horrible night into something positive.

The documentary, created and hosted by Emmy® award-winning anchor Tanya O’Rourke, tells the stories of those who died and those who survived and examines how it changed her small community. O’Rourke grew up in Finneytown, the small suburb of Cincinnati where three of the 11 who died also grew up. Along the way, she and the WCPO team discovered the long-term effect the tragedy had on concerts across the country as well as on the individuals who survived the incident and the family members of those who did not.

"December 3, 1979, didn’t just change some details at rock concerts. That night changed the lives of many in our region,” said Mike Canan, senior director of local content for WCPO. “This documentary is an unprecedented effort to tell the story of that one night and its impacts. I’m proud of our team’s work in commemorating those who were lost that night. I’m equally proud of Tanya and our team’s empathy for the victims and those who have dealt with loss and guilt from this incident for 40 years.”

This 60-minute documentary will air on 3 December, the 40th anniversary of the tragedy, at 8:00pm. Eastern Time on WCPO-TV and stream live on [www.wcpo.com]. The documentary and expanded interviews will also be available wherever you stream WCPO. A companion podcast will be available 4 December.

Read WCPO’s digital preview of The Who: The Night That Changed Rock here.

[www.thewho.com]

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: November 23, 2019 05:02

The Who made the cover of TIME magazine the following week

The odd thing was that it was basically a puff piece on the group--with the Cincinnati tragedy treated as a sidebar. Suddenly The Who were newsworthy, and the fanboy-writer leveraged that to give his favorite band a cover portrait that made no mention of the deaths.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: November 23, 2019 09:45

loog droog
The Who made the cover of TIME magazine the following week

The odd thing was that it was basically a puff piece on the group--with the Cincinnati tragedy treated as a sidebar. Suddenly The Who were newsworthy, and the fanboy-writer leveraged that to give his favorite band a cover portrait that made no mention of the deaths.

i think Pete & Roger have helped Eddie Vedder & Pearl Jam deal with the similar tragedy they had at Roskilde. the 2 bands seem quite close, especially Eddie & Pete.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: November 26, 2019 02:24

A long article in RS : [www.rollingstone.com]

Did realize Rog and Pete were at odds on just about everything...they did find a way to make an album though, using a rather "original" method, maybe Mick and Keith should try that to manage to overcome "the wall" !

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: November 26, 2019 20:10

THE WHO guitarist Pete Townshend has said in a new interview with Rolling Stone that he doesn't miss the band's late drummer Keith Moon and bassist John Entwistle.

"It's not going to make WHO fans very happy, but thank God they're gone," he said. "Because they were @#$%& difficult to play with. They never, ever managed to create bands for themselves. I think my musical discipline, my musical efficiency as a rhythm player, held the band together."

Townshend said Entwistle's "bass sound was like a Messiaen organ," with "every note, every harmonic in the sky. When he passed away and I did the first few shows without him, with Pino [Palladino] on bass, he was playing without all that stuff … I said, 'Wow, I have a job.'"

The guitarist was equally brutal in his recollection of Moon, saying: "With Keith, my job was keeping time, because he didn't do that. So when he passed away, it was, like, 'Oh, I don't have to keep time anymore.'"

Townshend added: "Usually, I'm so unaffected by death. My mother, father, Keith Moon."

Moon was 32 years old when he died in 1978 from an overdose of clomethiazole, while while Entwistle passed away from a cocaine-induced heart attack in 2002.

In the Rolling Stone article, Townshend and singer Roger Daltrey are described as "detached, if not estranged, from each other," with the two giving interviews separately and staying in different hotels.

"If you watch Roger onstage, he goes through a lot of visual phases," said Townshend. "Sometimes, he can't stop himself looking over at me. It's irritation. It's irritation that I'm even there."

Toward the end of the interview, Townshend summed up THE WHO in the following way: "We're not a band anymore. There's a lot of people who don't like it when I say it, but we're just not a @#$%& band. Even when we were, I used to sit there thinking, 'This is a @#$%& waste of time. Take 26 because Keith Moon has had one glass of brandy too many.'"

Date: November 26, 2019 20:13

I know a lot of people love Pete, but what a miserable sonofabitch. I love their music but I've never had good feelings about him as a person.

Date: November 26, 2019 20:17

keefriff99

^ Clickbait quotes cherry picked from Steven Rodrick's lengthy Rolling Stone piece and posted by BLABBERMOUTH.NET

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-11-26 20:18 by bye bye johnny.

Date: November 26, 2019 20:20

bye bye johnny
keefriff99

^ Clickbait quotes cherry picked from Steven Rodrick's lengthy Rolling Stone piece and posted by BLABBERMOUTH.NET
True, I haven't read the full piece yet, but I don't think context is going to change much with some of those quotes.

Date: November 26, 2019 20:22

Today, he’s feeling less charitable. The Who’s current shows feature two video screens full of vintage shots of mad, mad Moon and Entwistle in his bemused and haunting solitude. I asked Townshend if he ever got nostalgic looking up at the pictures of his fallen bandmates. He snorted like an old horse.

“It’s not going to make Who fans very happy, but thank God they’re gone.”

Because?

“Because they were @#$%& difficult to play with. They never, ever managed to create bands for themselves. I think my musical discipline, my musical efficiency as a rhythm player, held the band together.”

Townshend took on his bass player first. “John’s bass sound was like a Messiaen organ,” he says, waving his angular limbs. “Every note, every harmonic in the sky. When he passed away and I did the first few shows without him, with Pino Palladino on bass, he was playing without all that stuff…. I said, ‘Wow, I have a job.’?”

He was not finished. Moon is an easier target; he once passed out during a 1970s show in San Francisco, forcing the band to pull a drummer out of the crowd. “With Keith, my job was keeping time, because he didn’t do that,” says Townshend. “So when he passed away, it was like, ‘Oh, I don’t have to keep time anymore.’”

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-11-26 20:23 by keefriff99.

Date: November 26, 2019 20:27

So here's the thing with Pete:

Yes, he's a total @#$%& @#$%& there. I can actually agree with some of what he's saying, or not agree but at least see where he's coming from. But thats not the way you say it and he knows what he's doing and he's a dick for saying it that way. Buddy, you don't have a @#$%& band without those two dead guys.

Having said that, I understand Townshend's frustration with Keith. To us, he's the lovable buffoon but when you're in the eye of the storm, watching a person kill themselves, I get that you see it differently. I can also understand him looking down on Keith because, as much as I love him, there's a reason I rank John Bonham higher. Keith was never really "creating" drum parts. Townshend had the entire songs for them, drums included. Keith obviously did his Keith thing, and its why they were good songs. But I've always rated him a little lower because Keith did that one thing incredibly, and it wasn't so much a collaboration in that band as it was Keith being perfect at what he needed to do. There were many times he saw Keith as a hindrance rather than a help, and I do in some cases understand where he's coming from.

Having said that, he still shouldn't be saying what he's saying and he's always been an @#$%& even though I do like him and agree with much of what he's said in the past and in his books. I think he's fair alot, but then flies off the handle like this unnecessarily at times.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: November 26, 2019 21:14

It was a good story. Pete was being honest in the moment, which I appreciate, because even rock stars these days have learned to be diplomats and say absolutely nothing (even Keith, these days), but if Pete was interviewed tomorrow, he would probably say something completely different.
Daltrey came off in this story in the Jagger-like person who keeps this oddball artist in line and makes sure the shows come off.

Posted by: LazarusSmith ()
Date: November 26, 2019 21:18

keefriff99
THE WHO guitarist Pete Townshend has said in a new interview with Rolling Stone that he doesn't miss the band's late drummer Keith Moon and bassist John Entwistle.

"It's not going to make WHO fans very happy, but thank God they're gone," he said. "Because they were @#$%& difficult to play with. They never, ever managed to create bands for themselves. I think my musical discipline, my musical efficiency as a rhythm player, held the band together."

Townshend said Entwistle's "bass sound was like a Messiaen organ," with "every note, every harmonic in the sky. When he passed away and I did the first few shows without him, with Pino [Palladino] on bass, he was playing without all that stuff … I said, 'Wow, I have a job.'"

The guitarist was equally brutal in his recollection of Moon, saying: "With Keith, my job was keeping time, because he didn't do that. So when he passed away, it was, like, 'Oh, I don't have to keep time anymore.'"

Townshend added: "Usually, I'm so unaffected by death. My mother, father, Keith Moon."

Moon was 32 years old when he died in 1978 from an overdose of clomethiazole, while while Entwistle passed away from a cocaine-induced heart attack in 2002.

In the Rolling Stone article, Townshend and singer Roger Daltrey are described as "detached, if not estranged, from each other," with the two giving interviews separately and staying in different hotels.

"If you watch Roger onstage, he goes through a lot of visual phases," said Townshend. "Sometimes, he can't stop himself looking over at me. It's irritation. It's irritation that I'm even there."

Toward the end of the interview, Townshend summed up THE WHO in the following way: "We're not a band anymore. There's a lot of people who don't like it when I say it, but we're just not a @#$%& band. Even when we were, I used to sit there thinking, 'This is a @#$%& waste of time. Take 26 because Keith Moon has had one glass of brandy too many.'"

Now, THAT is some awesome sh*t! NO PC nonsense - just pure unadulterated rock'n'roll - god bless Pete!

Date: November 26, 2019 21:36

Also, in the article, and rather telling from Pete:

He pauses for a moment as if startled he said that last thought aloud. He wondered later, “I find sometimes I’ll be saying things and I think, ‘Do I really feel that, or is my mouth just @#$%& with me?’”

Date: November 26, 2019 22:07

The Who’s Pete Townshend grapples with rock’s legacy, and his own dark past.

By David Marchese
Nov. 24, 2019

Mamadi Doumbouya

[www.nytimes.com]

Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: November 26, 2019 22:12

Well, if it's "rock and roll" to be a jacka$$, then he is the king of rock and roll.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: November 26, 2019 22:32

Pete being Pete, well done. I like the picture too.

Posted by: LazarusSmith ()
Date: November 26, 2019 22:53

floodonthepage
Well, if it's "rock and roll" to be a jacka$$, then he is the king of rock and roll.

Yes, you can neither rock nor roll by being a nice guy -- jackassery is a pre-requisite!

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: November 26, 2019 23:06

gotdablouse
A long article in RS : [www.rollingstone.com]

Did realize Rog and Pete were at odds on just about everything...they did find a way to make an album though, using a rather "original" method, maybe Mick and Keith should try that to manage to overcome "the wall" !

Pete and Roger seem to have the same sort of relationship as Muck and Keith.
Good article, by the way.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...6566676869707172737475...LastNext
Current Page: 70 of 106

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1864
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home