Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...6465666768697071727374...LastNext
Current Page: 69 of 106
Re: OT: The Who stuff
Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: October 22, 2019 08:18

DGA35
mosthigh
Scored floor row 3 on Pete's side for Vancouver Monday for $135 cad ($100 usd) on TM, dropped from $360, further dropped from a $500 'platinum' ticket.

I call that a bargain. Woo-Who!

That's awesome! Does the show start right at 7:30? I see Liam plays for about half an hour. What time does the show end?

What was your verdict gentlemen? I had to leave a tad early to get home and resume normal life reading stories to a hyper kid!

I thought it worked well and the sound was great, Rogers voice seemed better than last time they were here. Liam was great, but 7 tunes is a pretty short set.

The version of Won’t get fooled again tonight is the closest I will get to the who unplugged.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: October 22, 2019 21:45

Paddy
DGA35
mosthigh
Scored floor row 3 on Pete's side for Vancouver Monday for $135 cad ($100 usd) on TM, dropped from $360, further dropped from a $500 'platinum' ticket.

I call that a bargain. Woo-Who!

That's awesome! Does the show start right at 7:30? I see Liam plays for about half an hour. What time does the show end?

What was your verdict gentlemen? I had to leave a tad early to get home and resume normal life reading stories to a hyper kid!

I thought it worked well and the sound was great, Rogers voice seemed better than last time they were here. Liam was great, but 7 tunes is a pretty short set.

The version of Won’t get fooled again tonight is the closest I will get to the who unplugged.

Hey Paddy, I thought the concert was very good! Driving in the pouring rain from the valley, no delays so that was good. Liam was really good, his voice was good, too. Same 7 songs that he's played on the previous shows. 7:30pm til 8pm. Saw on Youtube a posting from Vogue magazine called 73 questions with him which they do with lots of celebs. Very interesting. Obviously a huge Beatles fan.
The Who came on around 8:40ish til just before 11pm. I had the setlist downloaded so I knew what songs I was going to film. Taped the 3 Oasis songs that Liam did. The stage was actually pretty bare bones compared to when they were here a couple years ago. No big screen behind, just 2 small screens on either side of the stage. Sound quality from where I was, upper deck end zone was good, orchestra sounded clear. I preferred the setlist from last time when it was greatest hits so I knew all the songs. This time I didn't know some of the Quadrophenia songs. Nice to see Eddie Vedder show up on stage again like he did a couple nights ago. Pete said since Vancouver is so close to Seattle he decided to come up. He sang on The Punk and the Godfather and sounded a lot like Daltrey!
Awesome seeing Pete still doing the windmill on guitar and Daltrey swinging his mike. His voice was excellent I thought, especially after having to cancel midway through the Houston show a few weeks ago. Pete mentioned the new album coming out in December, said for the young people to buy it for their grandparents! Average age at the show was probably late 50s. If anything, perhaps they could have played maybe 10-15 minutes less and given Liam a bit more time. Would have liked to have heard a couple more Oasis songs.
I knew Baba O'Riley was the last song so as soon as it finished, we left and got on the elevator down to the underground parking. Left at 11pm exactly and beat all the traffic. By 11:30pm I was on the highway near 200 St. exit in Langley so that tells you how fast I got out! Coming in for the concert, it was well over an hour for the same drive.
The way the band is playing, maybe they'll come back again in a couple years!

Posted by: mosthigh ()
Date: October 22, 2019 21:56

Overall, I thought last night was pretty great. Many of the tunes with the orchestra sounded powerful, especially the Tommy stuff, although other tunes lacked the raw gritty edge they need.

Both Townshend and Daltrey were on their game, and Eddie Vedder made his second appearance on 'Punk and the Godfather', which may have been the highlight for me. 'Eminence Front' was also a winner, with Pete's voice and guitar playing in top form. The new songs went down well, eliciting some fiery guitar from Townshend. Zak was the night's mvp.

It was definitely a treat to be so close (3rd row on Pete's side), making eye contact with both Pete and Roger and generally feeling the energy from the stage. Despite being a rainy election day Monday, sparks were flying with a solid crowd in the not-so-old arena.

Date: October 22, 2019 22:10

mosthigh
Overall, I thought last night was pretty great. Many of the tunes with the orchestra sounded powerful, especially the Tommy stuff, although other tunes lacked the raw gritty edge they need.

Both Townshend and Daltrey were on their game, and Eddie Vedder made his second appearance on 'Punk and the Godfather', which may have been the highlight for me. 'Eminence Front' was also a winner, with Pete's voice and guitar playing in top form. The new songs went down well, eliciting some fiery guitar from Townshend. Zak was the night's mvp.

It was definitely a treat to be so close (3rd row on Pete's side), making eye contact with both Pete and Roger and generally feeling the energy from the stage. Despite being a rainy election day Monday, sparks were flying with a solid crowd in the not-so-old arena.

That's so awesome you got those tickets so cheap! What did you think of Liam. At 7:30, the arena wasn't too full yet.

Date: October 23, 2019 00:26

So I missed Vedder, ah well. I was sitting in the nosebleeds beside a guy who turned out to have been a local DJ here in Vancouver over the years. Tanner I believe his surname was. He had some great stories about bands he met over the years, Including one about the late Ginger Baker.

I thought the orchestra worked really well, it probably would have suited I can see for miles also, which they did as the “band set”

Having not seen either Gallagher between 96 and Liam supporting in London last year, it was a bonus catching him last night.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 23, 2019 00:39

thumbs up

Sounds like a good time was had by all, and looking forward to the US grand finale thursday night.
Going solo without my wife this time, so almost guaranteed I will have a better time and much more fun than last week's show. jk winking smiley

Watched the full Vedder clip of the first night (vs.the short twitter clip), and it was actually pretty nice - he looked beyond thrilled to be on stage with his heroes , and he sang his parts quite well!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-10-23 00:41 by Hairball.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: October 23, 2019 01:16

Hairball
thumbs up

Sounds like a good time was had by all, and looking forward to the US grand finale thursday night.
Going solo without my wife this time, so almost guaranteed I will have a better time and much more fun than last week's show. jk winking smiley

Watched the full Vedder clip of the first night (vs.the short twitter clip), and it was actually pretty nice - he looked beyond thrilled to be on stage with his heroes , and he sang his parts quite well!

Where are you sitting Hairball? I'll be there smiling smiley

Date: October 23, 2019 03:08

BluzDude
Hairball
thumbs up

F2 row 1, and at the moment I do have a spare next to me if you know of anyone interested. thumbs up Was in F1 row 5 the other night and great location (see pics previous page).
If there's any radical price drops in the first 10 rows or so, I'd love to be there, but chances seem slim of that happening.

Where will you be sitting?

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: October 24, 2019 02:02

I like how All This Music Must Fade is something of a continuation of lyrical themes that Trowsers has explored for decades now - New Song (1978), Jules and Jim, for example.

Man I'm really digging this track!

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: October 24, 2019 02:15

Hairball
BluzDude
Hairball
thumbs up

F2 row 1, and at the moment I do have a spare next to me if you know of anyone interested. thumbs up Was in F1 row 5 the other night and great location (see pics previous page).
If there's any radical price drops in the first 10 rows or so, I'd love to be there, but chances seem slim of that happening.

I believe it's section E. The benches at the same level as the Terrace Boxes. These seats were about $100. If I cross the isle to the boxes, they are $250. I've sat in Sections D and E before, and even though they are on the side, for me its a good value.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-10-24 02:19 by BluzDude.

Date: October 24, 2019 03:41

BluzDude
Hairball
BluzDude
Hairball
thumbs up

I believe it's section E. The benches at the same level as the Terrace Boxes. These seats were about $100. If I cross the isle to the boxes, they are $250. I've sat in Sections D and E before, and even though they are on the side, for me its a good value.

As long as your not on the extreme sides of either E or D (which can be slightly obstructed) then your A-OK, but I'm sure you already knew that.
I also paid about $100 ($89+ fees each) for the F1 and F2 seats with Terrace seats right in front of me going for more than double that, so I'm also in the "good value" category.
Be sure to look over your left shoulder and wave...I'll be there at the front of F2! thumbs up

Date: October 25, 2019 01:38

I guess I'm a little slow, but I just got that "I don't mind other guys ripping off my song" nod to "I don't mind other guys dancing with my girl" from TKAA

Looking forward to seeing Pete in conversation in London in a couple of weeks.

Date: October 25, 2019 19:41

Another fantastic show by The Who. As much as I enjoyed it last week, I enjoyed it even more last night (and not because my wife wasn't with me lol). Maybe partially because I knew more what to expect from the orchestra which works very well throughout for the most part. Still odd to hear Behind Blue Eyes w/the additional violin, cello, etc, as it's quite obtrusive (some weird notes going on), and again one of the highlights was to see just Pete and Roger on the acoustic Won't Get Fooled Again. Throughout the entire show they both seemed to be giving it all just a bit more energy, laying it all out as the last show of the current leg. Pete's guitar was a squalling hurricane at times, while Roger's vocals were at times ferocious. It's always mind boggling to think of all the great masterpieces that Pete has written for The Who! I even LOVED You Better You Bet which was truly thumping!

As for Liam Gallagher, he mentioned something about being stuck in traffic for four hours, then said "I'm joking..it was only three and a half hours". Welcome to L.A. Liam! Had to believe him though when his short set was only five songs last night (Champagne Supernova was axed), but as an extra treat for all us original Oasis fans, original guitar player Bonehead joined them on stage for a couple songs. Yes a very short set, but very sweet.

Looking forward to the new album, and would be thrilled to see them again the next time they return to Southern California. Like the Stones, can't miss it!

Date: October 25, 2019 22:02

Just watched the few times I missed out on Monday night. Great to hear Pete so down to earth while thanking the people for coming out and saying the cost doesn’t end with the price of a ticket. Humble man.

I wish I’d had got to stay for that. There was a lot of respect on the stage.

Date: October 25, 2019 23:25

Hairball
Another fantastic show by The Who. As much as I enjoyed it last week, I enjoyed it even more last night (and not because my wife wasn't with me lol). Maybe partially because I knew more what to expect from the orchestra which works very well throughout for the most part. Still odd to hear Behind Blue Eyes w/the additional violin, cello, etc, as it's quite obtrusive (some weird notes going on), and again one of the highlights was to see just Pete and Roger on the acoustic Won't Get Fooled Again. Throughout the entire show they both seemed to be giving it all just a bit more energy, laying it all out as the last show of the current leg. Pete's guitar was a squalling hurricane at times, while Roger's vocals were at times ferocious. It's always mind boggling to think of all the great masterpieces that Pete has written for The Who! I even LOVED You Better You Bet which was truly thumping!

As for Liam Gallagher, he mentioned something about being stuck in traffic for four hours, then said "I'm joking..it was only three and a half hours". Welcome to L.A. Liam! Had to believe him though when his short set was only five songs last night (Champagne Supernova was axed), but as an extra treat for all us original Oasis fans, original guitar player Bonehead joined them on stage for a couple songs. Yes a very short set, but very sweet.

Looking forward to the new album, and would be thrilled to see them again the next time they return to Southern California. Like the Stones, can't miss it!

One thing about when Liam opened in Vancouver, he came on stage, said something which I couldn't understand because of his thick accent, then he said what sounded like "My name is Ken Don and this is Rock'n'Roll Star". No idea what he meant. I tried listening to my video several times. Good to see Bonehead come on stage but why such a short setlist? Hopefully the Gallagher brothers can mend their feud and get Oasis back together for a reunion.

Date: October 25, 2019 23:59

Evidently their set was so short because as Liam said they were stuck in traffic, and L.A. traffic is no joke! There's also a noise curfew at the Hollywood Bowl (11:00 PM, Mon - Sat), so time is limited,
and might explain why the Sunday Oct. 13show started at 7:00 vs. last nights scheduled start time at 7:30 which started later than that. Seems Wonderwall was sped up also and/or abbreviated...
Liam made a hand gesture to get it rolling fast, and then it was over. Five songs vs. seven songs the other night...both sets short no matter how you look at it, but last night was worth it just to see Bonehead again!

Date: October 26, 2019 02:12

DGA35
Hairball

Ken Dodd’s an English comedian from back in the day.

One thing about when Liam opened in Vancouver, he came on stage, said something which I couldn't understand because of his thick accent, then he said what sounded like "My name is Ken Don and this is Rock'n'Roll Star". No idea what he meant. I tried listening to my video several times. Good to see Bonehead come on stage but why such a short setlist? Hopefully the Gallagher brothers can mend their feud and get Oasis back together for a reunion.

Date: October 26, 2019 04:20

Paddy
DGA35
Hairball

Fixed the quotes Paddy as it somehow got messed up in your post above.

Another funny bit from Liam last night and can't recall if he did at previous shows, but during Rock and Roll Star he belted out a GIANT F-bomb while singing the lyrics.
And when he brought out the young kid to play drums (who I assume is his son?), he said to the audience something like "don't worry - it will be over in four minutes".

I'm going to eventually start watching/listening to both The Who and Liam's sets of the shows I attended on youtube (and some Who boots for sure), but for now cherishing the moments in my head.
Stones and the Who...what a great summer and fall it's been. Now I just need some more Neil Young/Crazy Horse show to fill the void, and the next think you know the Stones will announce their return!thumbs up

Date: October 26, 2019 18:44

Hey, HairB and other Who fans here, do you know of a good Who forum? Some place like this for lively (mostly) friendly Who discussion? Thanks!

Date: October 26, 2019 18:56

I don't peoplewitheyes, but would also like to know if there is one.

OT: The Who stuff
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: October 26, 2019 21:41

There's a fan forum on the official site - [community.thewho.com]

Date: October 26, 2019 23:12

Hairball
Paddy
DGA35
Hairball

Fixed the quotes Paddy as it somehow got messed up in your post above.

Another funny bit from Liam last night and can't recall if he did at previous shows, but during Rock and Roll Star he belted out a GIANT F-bomb while singing the lyrics.
And when he brought out the young kid to play drums (who I assume is his son?), he said to the audience something like "don't worry - it will be over in four minutes".

I'm going to eventually start watching/listening to both The Who and Liam's sets of the shows I attended on youtube (and some Who boots for sure), but for now cherishing the moments in my head.
Stones and the Who...what a great summer and fall it's been. Now I just need some more Neil Young/Crazy Horse show to fill the void, and the next think you know the Stones will announce their return!thumbs up

So I googled who Ken Dodd was. He was described as "the last great music hall entertainer". I believe Liam has said he's the last great rock star so there's the connection. I'm sure Paddy was the only one in the crowd that understood what he was saying!

Date: October 26, 2019 23:32

bye bye johnny

Thanks bye bye johnny.

Also forgot to mention for those on facebook, there's quite a few fan pages and groups dedicated to The Who - type in Who in the search.

Posted by: tommycharles ()
Date: October 27, 2019 01:17

Hairball
bye bye johnny

Thanks bye bye johnny.

Also forgot to mention for those on facebook, there's quite a few fan pages and groups dedicated to The Who - type in Who in the search.

whochat.proboards.com is the main fan-run one, I think, though it's not as busy as IORR by a long way.

Date: October 27, 2019 07:32

Thanks BB Johnny and tommycharles.

I just found and joined:

THE ORIGINAL WHO FAN PAGE, on Facebook. It is a pretty good place for news and views.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-10-27 22:17 by peoplewitheyes.

Date: October 29, 2019 02:47

Date: November 5, 2019 15:19

Ahead of the Pete In Conversation tomorrow evening, I got email asking if I had any questions to suggest..

So, any ideas as to what to ask Pete, Who fans?

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: November 5, 2019 16:21

I'm sure all you Who fans have seen this footage from Shepperton Studios in 1978, but WOW. I'm just blown away by the crystal-clear video quality and the brilliant performances:

[youtu.be]

[youtu.be]

Also, this promo video for Who Are You is great...lots of footage of Keith Moon being hilarious:

[youtu.be]

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: November 5, 2019 17:01

I don't think thats the BEST version of Won't Get Fooled Again musically, but visually, its the Who in a nutshell. Which is exactly what they wanted. They filmed that with the sole purpose of being as bombastic and visually appealing as absolutely possible, and it worked. It summarizes the Who, even though I go to different Won't Get Fooled Again's that they play better. But they've maybe never purposely looked better.

They were such a @#$%& of a band. I miss Keith so so much. I went to one of Pete's book signings years ago where you got a book and he had a discussion with a guy and then played some music. It was great, and he's a weird guy but overall a really awesome one. Also, one day when I actually get my man cave or a place to put up some real posters, I would like to get this one. Maybe a frame or two before this shot, but basically this shot is what I think of when I think of the Who or just plain rock and roll:

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: November 5, 2019 17:31

I'd seen that footage of Pete sliding to his knees before, but I didn't know where it was from. It's just beyond epic...it captures everything great about the Who in just a few seconds.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...6465666768697071727374...LastNext
Current Page: 69 of 106

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1281
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home