Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...6162636465666768697071...LastNext
Current Page: 66 of 106
Re: OT: The Who stuff
Posted by: tommycharles ()
Date: September 14, 2019 08:50

tatters

This sounds more like The Who than anything that's on Endless Wire, and that makes me wonder if maybe Simon Townshend didn't have a hand in the writing. Simon's best songs are as good as anything on any of Pete's solo records. In fact, since the 1980s, the only good Townshend songs have been Simon Townshend songs.

Given that (a) this song previously came out on a PT solo compilation, and (b) the song Simon _did_ write for the album is in fact credited to him, it seems unlikely he had anything to do with this one, or they would have said so.

Though I agree that Simon has written some good songs (Denial from the album of the same name is great).

OT: The Who stuff
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: September 14, 2019 14:26

Track List
All This Music Must Fade
Ball and Chain
I Don’t Wanna Get Wise
Detour
Beads On One String
Hero Ground Zero
Street Song
I'll Be Back
Break The Newse
Rockin' In Rage
She Rocked My World

Out November 22

[www.thewho.com]

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: September 14, 2019 14:59

Hate to be negative, but the title and artwork are dreadful!

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: September 14, 2019 15:03

I actually like the album artwork. The first song is just kinda eh to me...middling, mid-paced, and doesn't achieve liftoff. Good to hear Pete and Roger in any capacity though.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 14, 2019 19:24

Cover designed by legendary artist Sir Peter Blake - the Godfather of British Pop Art - who designed the Sgt. Peppers cover among many others.
Recent cover is a continuation of his Sources of Pop Art series:

Sources of Pop Art III

Sources of Pop Art IV

Sources of Pop Art V

Sources of Pop Art VI

100 Sources of Pop Art

WHO

Peter Blake
"Widely regarded as the godfather of British Pop art and the Young British Artists movement, Peter Blake creates paintings, collages, and prints that blend modernity and nostalgia. Though best known for designing the album cover for the Beatles’ Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band, he considers painting to be central to his oeuvre. While celebrity figures inform his work, folk art, fairground signs, and an overall sense of nostalgia also influence his style. In 1997, at the age of 65, Blake emotionally retired from painting, he said, and entered what he calls his late period. He continues to work but is no longer interested in the art world’s opinion of his art, instead creating what he wants regardless of its relation to his previous paintings".

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: September 14, 2019 19:50

I'm more than familiar with Mr Blake's oevre, but I see nothing inspired about this work.

Nevermind, though. I am looking forward to hearing more of the new tunes, hopefully some with PT singing a glorious bridge.

Date: September 14, 2019 20:02

That's great you're familiar with him peoplewitheyes, but I wasn't directing my post at you personally.

Looking forward to more new Who as well. thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-09-14 20:03 by Hairball.

OT - The Who tour
Date: September 22, 2019 18:00

Anybody catch The Who on their NA tour?

We caught them in Atlanta. Wow.
Peeled our faces off. The orchestra with them was killer. Rogers voice was still so strong.

Mike

Mike

[www.flickr.com]

Re: OT - The Who tour
Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: September 22, 2019 18:04

I've heard they're great on this tour...videos I've seen are promising.

BTW, there's already a very extensive Who thread that's active:

[iorr.org]

Posted by: Crackinup ()
Date: September 26, 2019 07:10

The Houston show ended after 8 songs when Roger lost his voice. After he sang the first verse of Who are you, he went back by his little table and didn’t sing when it was time for the second verse. Pete looked over and then stepped up and sang it. Roger sang most of the rest of it, but was visibly pissed off after the song. I thought it was an equipment problem because he yanked out one of his earpieces. He and Pete exchanged sounds words then they played Eminence Front, which is all Pete singing. Roger continued to look mad throughout the song, and announced afterward that he could not continue.
They went offstage and Pete came back and said they had to cancel the rest of the show, apologizing and promising to make it up sometime in the future. I would expect that the shows for this weekend will have to be rescheduled.

Date: September 26, 2019 07:18

Oh damn....hope Roger gets better soon!

Posted by: Mr.D ()
Date: September 26, 2019 14:57

Here is the complete show that we saw in Sunrise, Florida last Friday, they were absolutely on fire!
[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: September 26, 2019 15:16

Hairball

Roger's got lots of recent previous for this unfortunately. He needs to consider spacing his gigs further apart to let his body and voice recover as Mick does. He's only a year younger than our Mick. His voice packed up in Cardiff a few years back, postponing the rest of that tour by 3 or 4 months.

Date: September 26, 2019 15:30

grzegorz67
Hairball

Roger's got lots of recent previous for this unfortunately. He needs to consider spacing his gigs further apart to let his body and voice recover as Mick does. He's only a year younger than our Mick. His voice packed up in Cardiff a few years back, postponing the rest of that tour by 3 or 4 months.

roger also has a voice that gets affected by things that seem to not bother mick. its possible it was just the humidity or something in Houston threw it off. I wish the who had let roger put on a guitar and done the rest of the show with pete doing vocals and roger helping on guitar

Date: September 26, 2019 16:17

keefriffhard4life
grzegorz67
Hairball

roger also has a voice that gets affected by things that seem to not bother mick. its possible it was just the humidity or something in Houston threw it off. I wish the who had let roger put on a guitar and done the rest of the show with pete doing vocals and roger helping on guitar

Nice idea, but Roger would have none of that. He was thoroughly pissed off. After Who Are You, Pete walked over and they talked a bit. Pete then said something to the crowd about supporting Roger, which drew applause and cheers, then Roger said something, but I couldn’t understand him. At the time, I thought it was some type of equipment problem. He sounded great during the Tommy songs.

Early on, they both joked that they knew they were in Texas because of how it affected their allergies, so that probably played a role. Roger actually had the funniest line of the night, something like ‘What the @#$%& is Ragweed? Who smokes that shit?’
Too bad, as Pete was in great spirits, playing and singing with a lot of energy.

Posted by: rattler2004 ()
Date: September 26, 2019 16:37

Crackinup
keefriffhard4life
grzegorz67
Hairball

Nice idea, but Roger would have none of that. He was thoroughly pissed off. After Who Are You, Pete walked over and they talked a bit. Pete then said something to the crowd about supporting Roger, which drew applause and cheers, then Roger said something, but I couldn’t understand him. At the time, I thought it was some type of equipment problem. He sounded great during the Tommy songs.

Early on, they both joked that they knew they were in Texas because of how it affected their allergies, so that probably played a role. Roger actually had the funniest line of the night, something like ‘What the @#$%& is Ragweed? Who smokes that shit?’
Too bad, as Pete was in great spirits, playing and singing with a lot of energy.

He was clearly struggling...sad...one thing I know for certain is when they come back for the make up show...they will give 110% and deliver a blistering show.

Local press article

[www.houstonpress.com]

the shoot 'em dead, brainbell jangler!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-09-26 16:48 by rattler2004.

Date: September 26, 2019 21:19

grzegorz67
Hairball

Yes I'm familiar with Roger and his voice issues, and hopefully this won't result in a lengthy postponement/cancellation of shows, but first and foremost hope he gets better soon.

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: September 26, 2019 21:37

I fear Roger May not like the amount of weed smoke when he hits Vancouver... There was a lot of pot smoke at the last who gig I was at.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: September 26, 2019 23:31

Paddy
I fear Roger May not like the amount of weed smoke when he hits Vancouver... There was a lot of pot smoke at the last who gig I was at.

i was thinking about going to the seattle show if the tickets dropped price a bit more. turns out is at a bad place in regards to the upcoming chemo cycle so glad i didn't take the plunge. i'm going to nick cave & its going to be a challenge but more doable. the who show i saw last time they came througn seattle was fantastic. maybe its best to leave it at that. speaking of pot smoke at shows, the video of the stones seattle show has some good humour. keith is standing at edge of stage right before his songs & gets hit with a huge cloud of the sacrament. he has a BIG smile when introducing "you got the silver"!

Posted by: 5stringTele ()
Date: September 26, 2019 23:54

As noted above, Roger was in spectacular voice last week in Sunrise, Florida. But during the soundcheck, he kept complaining about the A/C and what it would do to his voice.

I have seen Roger scold the audience for smoking pot, saying it would be bad for his voice.

He seems to be much more protective of his voice now than he was even 10 years ago. I saw a Who concert in 2007 (I think it was the last show of that tour) where Roger had a cold or the Flu. He croaked his way through the set, apologizing for his bad voice between each song. The crowd still loved it.

I'm sure he doesn't want to sound like Robert Plant, who wheezes his way through Zeppelin classics, leaving everybody understanding perfectly why he'll never reunite with Zep on a permanent basis.

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: September 26, 2019 23:58

Paddy

I seem to remember him losing his shit with an audience member at a gig over there a couple of years ago when they lit up a joint at close proximity to the stage.

I saw them in Bologna, Italy 3 years ago and some dilbert in the crowd lit up in front of me. There had earlier been notices on the big screens about Roger’s allergy. The band hadn’t come on yet but 2 audience members strode towards him and confronted him about it. No messing about there! That was a fab show, Rolling back the clock about 40 years with a brilliantly Enthusiastic Italian audience.

Posted by: tommycharles ()
Date: September 27, 2019 07:50

5stringTele
He seems to be much more protective of his voice now than he was even 10 years ago. I saw a Who concert in 2007 (I think it was the last show of that tour) where Roger had a cold or the Flu. He croaked his way through the set, apologizing for his bad voice between each song. The crowd still loved it.

The '07 shows are so conflicting to listen to - the band was shit hot, the best it has ever been (or likely will be) post-Entwistle, but Rog is clinging onto his voice for dear life.

He had surgery in late '09 and has been singing brilliantly ever since, but it definitely gave him a more careful outlook, which was only compounded by his bout of menengitis in fall 2015. From his perspective, he's had ten more years out of his voice than he was supposed to get, and is trying, carefully, to wring as many last few gigs out of it as he can.

Date: September 27, 2019 15:46

According to The Who's twitter account, the shows scheduled for tonight and Sunday have been postponed and will be made up at a later date.

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: September 27, 2019 17:11

Unfortunately due to illness, The Who concerts in Dallas Sept 27 & Denver Sept 29 must be postponed. Fans should hold on to their tickets for Dallas & Denver shows & Sept 25 Houston show, as they will be honoured at rescheduled dates. Please stay tuned for further information.

[twitter.com]

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: September 27, 2019 19:06

Last week I was watching an episode of Sammy Hagar's show on AXS-TV from April 2018 in which he interviewed Daltrey prior to a Who concert. The show usually ends with Hagar jamming with the guest, but this one ended with Hagar performing "Behind Blue Eyes" solo, because as Hagar explained, Roger didn't want to do any singing on the same day of a show.

Date: September 27, 2019 21:35

bye bye johnny

Unfortunately due to illness, The Who concerts in Dallas Sept 27 & Denver Sept 29 must be postponed. Fans should hold on to their tickets for Dallas & Denver shows & Sept 25 Houston show, as they will be honoured at rescheduled dates. Please stay tuned for further information.

[twitter.com]

That's unfortunate for those who planned on attending, but on the bright side the shows will be rescheduled, and (hopefully) Roger will be good to go after that.
The next scheduled date isn't until Oct. 9 in San Francisco, so plenty of time to recuperate/recover from any ailments - unless it's something more serious of course.

Keeping fingers crossed for the scheduled Hollywood Bowl shows (Oct. 11, 13, 24) which I have tix for, but if I'm able to see even just one of them I'll be happy.
Last time I saw them was at Desert Trip where they were phenomenal both weekends.

Posted by: Bungo ()
Date: September 27, 2019 22:34

peoplewitheyes
Hate to be negative, but the title and artwork are dreadful!

They ALWAYS are. ( but the music inside usually makes up for it )

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-09-27 22:34 by Bungo.

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: September 27, 2019 22:43

This must be very frustrating for Roger. Hopefully this event was just something in the air which aggravated his vocal condition. His voice was fine throughout
the Wisconsin show on September 8th.

Date: September 27, 2019 23:57

On Ultimate Classic Rock, Pete says the Who are playing Jazzfest next year. Not sure if that had already been announced.

“Roger’s got bronchitis so we’re having to cancel the show in Dallas and also the show in Denver,” Who guitarist Pete Townshend said in an Instagram video. “We will redo those shows … come back to Houston and rejig that show because we only played 45 minutes last night. Next April or May. We’re doing the New Orleans jazz festival, I believe, and we’ll probably come straight into Houston and Dallas and up to Denver too to replace those shows.”

Read More: The Who and Aerosmith Call Off Shows Over Singers’ Voices | [ultimateclassicrock.com]

Posted by: rattler2004 ()
Date: September 28, 2019 00:46

Hairball
bye bye johnny

[twitter.com]

That's unfortunate for those who planned on attending, but on the bright side the shows will be rescheduled, and (hopefully) Roger will be good to go after that.
The next scheduled date isn't until Oct. 9 in San Francisco, so plenty of time to recuperate/recover from any ailments - unless it's something more serious of course.

Keeping fingers crossed for the scheduled Hollywood Bowl shows (Oct. 11, 13, 24) which I have tix for, but if I'm able to see even just one of them I'll be happy.
Last time I saw them was at Desert Trip where they were phenomenal both weekends.

I sold my tickets to the Hollywood Bowl Oct 11 show...I had to, we’ve got a family obligation that weekend...the Hollywood Bowl is a bucket list venue for me...and I also had last seen The Who at Desert Trip (1st weekend)...which is why I went to the Houston show instead.....mind you this show, with orchestra isn’t at all like the ballsy band that ripped at Desert Trip...it’s lot more understated...

I’m not a big fan of the orchestra thing...

the shoot 'em dead, brainbell jangler!

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...6162636465666768697071...LastNext
Current Page: 66 of 106

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1094
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home