Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5758596061626364656667...LastNext
Current Page: 62 of 106
Re: OT: The Who stuff
Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: May 26, 2019 22:12

Donnebr
I was at the show in Philly tonight. I got tickets on the live nation $20 day. It was a good show tonight. There were plenty of tickets available.

well there's some proof to the pudding. This fan paid for the ticket, make the trek,
and had a good show to enjoy, and a good time. so there's certainly that too....

any details, comments or fan reviews would be read with interest.
Glad you saw the show and liked it. That's great to hear.

An that's over a half century since I first saw them Live in Central Park
Sheep Meadow (I think Linda Ronstadt opened, touring off of "Silk Purse,"
and I was an early and huge, and remain a huge fan of Linda's excellent spirit, soul and powerful voice and presence. She was endearing and wonderful btw....i think it was the same show; they had entire Series at the Park and I went to a LOT of them; really close hanging on the lawn with a lot of celebs from UK who wanted to be out in the Park and were mellow about the performance....
The Who's theatricality and raw power was at an Apex that I saw somehow even expand in the next three or four years at many shows....so that's MY frame of reference.....
and I've said what I've said, and a lot of other fans too; about Roger's current skill set vocally in a stadium or arena context for sure....

but here's a fresh fan with a fresh experience that he, or she, sorry not sure fro the name, really enjoyed and felt worthwhile and i'm glad to hear it.
Zak is a powerhouse in his own way. Nobody is Keith. Even Keith couldn't handle it any longer. that guy was pure rock and roll thunder all by himself.
I don't romanticize the long crazy sad brawling end; it's not amusing when a tragedy takes out a talent like that but off I go again about The Who; i'm glad they registered a happy customer. Personally speaking, I won't see them without the original 4; i'm gonna just stick with what i got.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-26 22:20 by hopkins.

Posted by: mosthigh ()
Date: May 26, 2019 22:18

Woz
The Who at Desert Trip were absolutely awesome. Nothing HMS spouts here was even remotely accurate.

Also, seek out Christiano’s review of the Mexico City show for an honey take on the Who

They didn't do so well the second weekend of Desert Trip. Pete later said they were tired after Mexico and it showed, especially for the first half of the show. Things picked up a little towards the end.

Date: May 26, 2019 22:22

[www.youtube.com]
Pictures Of Lily - The Who

OT: The Who stuff
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: May 26, 2019 23:31

Review: The Who -- older, but still majestic at Citizens Bank Park

by Dan DeLuca, May 26, 2019

Yong Kim

[www.philly.com]

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: May 27, 2019 04:46

HMS
timbernardis
When was the last time u saw them, and when and how many since Moon died? And when and how many when it was the original four?
plexi

Saw them only once in 1989 or 1990 and even then - still with The Ox - it just doesn´t felt quite right to me. After Entwistle passed away everything went downhill quickly...

Their Farewell-live-album "Who´s Last" (recorded in 1982) was ripped to shreds by critics (mainly) because of Roger´s voice, but actually this live album is better than any subsequent live release and better by far than anything you can see/hear these days on youtube (even if it´s low quality you can see/hear in what poor condition nowadays they are performancewise).

Well, given what you said here, you have little to no basis on which to judge the live Who today (even if you don't want to call them that). ONE show, ever??!!, and almost/30 years ago at that. Live recordings, especially on YouTube, are no basis on which to judge them live. You see and hear things live that cannot be duplicated on a recording. Live is the only basis on which to judge them, or any band, really, including the Stones. But, if it makes you happy, continue your attention-getting and trolling activities here. You got my attention, you must be happy.

plexi

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-27 04:48 by timbernardis.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 27, 2019 05:20

Great photo and review - thanks bye bye johnny. thumbs up

bye bye johnny

Yong Kim

[www.philly.com]

Date: May 27, 2019 07:10

Hairball

bye bye johnny

Yong Kim

[www.philly.com]

That purple shit freaks me out
wtf
brain waves or synapses breaking? the Who Stroke Out.
Pete's like, "ok this is the last one, I'm not whirlybird-ing @#$%& i'm waving the tour doctor in...
Whoa they shudda checked the stage design stuff with Charles.
Zak looks like he's ready for the downbeat strike on "love me do"
that would be so cool if they did a mini beatle set.
zak could sing the carl perkins stuff; just like pop, if he can't sing;
that's even better. Let's encourage them to keep evolving.

i guess they just need an idea man
wtf with the matrix clowns in front of the brain exploding purple electric shit?
one of them is looking toward the Exit, wondering if he can slip out...
did they do timmy? that was a good one. magic busts was good.
a lot of 'em....see me feel me touch me i'm a cop your under arrest, would be a really courageous
way for Pete to stare down the critics I htink.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-27 07:17 by hopkins.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: May 27, 2019 07:55

Madcap
Good lord HMS give it a rest, you hate the current who we get it! Your schtick is beyond tiresome at this point!

Exactly, I'm getting tired of reading his rants. He's posted more the last few pages than anyone else! Not sure why The Who would play a baseball stadium instead of the arena in Philly. No wonder there were lots of cheap tickets. They're not gonna sell 40-50k tickets. They're also playing the baseball stadium in Seattle. Key Arena is being renovated right now but they could easily play the Tacomadome or the Amphitheatre there.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 27, 2019 08:23

hopkins
Hairball

bye bye johnny

Yong Kim

[www.philly.com]

That purple shit freaks me out
wtf
brain waves or synapses breaking? the Who Stroke Out.
Pete's like, "ok this is the last one, I'm not whirlybird-ing @#$%& i'm waving the tour doctor in...
Whoa they shudda checked the stage design stuff with Charles.
Zak looks like he's ready for the downbeat strike on "love me do"
that would be so cool if they did a mini beatle set.
zak could sing the carl perkins stuff; just like pop, if he can't sing;
that's even better. Let's encourage them to keep evolving.

i guess they just need an idea man
wtf with the matrix clowns in front of the brain exploding purple electric shit?
one of them is looking toward the Exit, wondering if he can slip out...
did they do timmy? that was a good one. magic busts was good.
a lot of 'em....see me feel me touch me i'm a cop your under arrest, would be a really courageous
way for Pete to stare down the critics I htink.

That purple shit lol...smiling smiley ...now that you mention it, yes freaky!

Date: May 27, 2019 09:33

DGA35
Madcap
Good lord HMS give it a rest, you hate the current who we get it! Your schtick is beyond tiresome at this point!

Exactly, I'm getting tired of reading his rants. He's posted more the last few pages than anyone else! Not sure why The Who would play a baseball stadium instead of the arena in Philly. No wonder there were lots of cheap tickets. They're not gonna sell 40-50k tickets. They're also playing the baseball stadium in Seattle. Key Arena is being renovated right now but they could easily play the Tacomadome or the Amphitheatre there.

Pete is very tall; that's key in a first baseman.
he's stretched that arm so many times they want him for the Fantastic 5 movie; which is a first.

Between his stretched leg and stretched arm he could probably give the 2nd baseman a thrill if his name was Ernie.
and a lot of them ARE Ernies.
They's got to be some uncles in there. you know it. hops knows it.
Wasn't Peter writing an opus book or something?
He's not a knight is he? he didn't win a pulitzer did he?
in sweden they could give a shit, right?
cat couldn't get arrested, well...
this is his part time gig? whoa.
The stadium thing is no accident; he's got to look at all the options.
there's a senior league; Roger should be able to catch.
short squat, beefy; i can see him with a chest protector and face mask.
i can see him just choking anyone who tries to cross home base.
pete would run off the mound, grab a bat from the batboy; hit the batboy;
then start chopping at the guy who thought he could score a run om ol' timmy.
it's show business; there's lights, smokes, shit explodes....
he gets to shower with a lot of guys....keep an open mind.
me, i love hms; i wish he'd post more. he pisses a LOT of people off...
lame scrollers, heck with 'em hemmie; i'm afraid to agree with you; you're doin' Good!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-27 09:40 by hopkins.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: May 27, 2019 11:26

DGA35
Madcap

That late in October they may need to use the roof @ TMobile.

Posted by: Lynd8 ()
Date: May 27, 2019 16:32

I'd like them to come to my local bar!

quote=HMS]
I am scared to death - a new live album is going to be released these Days, "Roger Daltrey - The Orchestral Tommy", recorded in 2018. That´s completely new to me. Goodness me. At least it´s not billed as THE WHO.

I don´t know what leads them to think they could sell out the hugest stadiums these days. People are no longer willing to get fooled by that torso of what once was The Who - they are about to end up playing bars and grills.[/quote]

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: May 27, 2019 16:52

HMS
timbernardis
Live recordings, especially on YouTube, are no basis on which to judge them live. You see and hear things live that cannot be duplicated on a recording. Live is the only basis on which to judge them, or any band, really, including the Stones.
plexi

Hearing a live-album is a better way to really hear what kind of shape the singer´s voice is in than standing FOS and getting blown away by deafening sound systems. The live experience touches all senses, by hearing a live album with headphones on you can focus on the singer. Doing that I have to say that Roger (and also Pete) sounds awful on Tommy Live, Hyde Park Live, Glastonbury Live & Quadrophenia live. And he continues to do so in all of the clips I´ve seen of the torso´s 2019-tour. And they nowadays have to play a tape during parts of Won´t get fooled again, what a pity. If Roger can´t live up to the challenge of this song, the torso should no longer perform this song (amongst others).

you sir (guessing on that,haha) are relentless!!!! smoking smiley

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: May 27, 2019 22:57

HMS
timbernardis
Live recordings, especially on YouTube, are no basis on which to judge them live. You see and hear things live that cannot be duplicated on a recording. Live is the only basis on which to judge them, or any band, really, including the Stones.
plexi

Hearing a live-album is a better way to really hear what kind of shape the singer´s voice is in than standing FOS and getting blown away by deafening sound systems. The live experience touches all senses, by hearing a live album with headphones on you can focus on the singer. Doing that I have to say that Roger (and also Pete) sounds awful on Tommy Live, Hyde Park Live, Glastonbury Live & Quadrophenia live. And he continues to do so in all of the clips I´ve seen of the torso´s 2019-tour. And they nowadays have to play a tape during parts of Won´t get fooled again, what a pity. If Roger can´t live up to the challenge of this song, the torso should no longer perform this song (amongst others).

They always have. Here's the non-torso in 1977, Moon is wearing headphones so he can hear the tape.

[www.youtube.com]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: May 28, 2019 00:25

Deltics
HMS
timbernardis
plexi

They always have. Here's the non-torso in 1977, Moon is wearing headphones so he can hear the tape.

[www.youtube.com]

Been watching this clip so many times I've lost count, don't really know that Rock gets any better than this, sublime Rock, Pete taking it somewhere beyond music, physical expression, art in motion..

Posted by: erad ()
Date: May 28, 2019 00:53

HMS
timbernardis
plexi

Well, unlike a certain member of the Stones, at least Pete can still play to a high level and play parts he wrote without screwing them up show after show, even basic things like intros...

Dude, you are posting on a Stones site about the Who being washed and just trotting out the well known songs. The Stones have been doing this for decades, and for the past 5+ years the setlist has remained relatively the same. You can't say the same about the Who, Roger and Pete play more deep cuts.

As others have pointed out, they always played Won't Get Fooled Again with a tape for the synthesizer sound.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: May 28, 2019 01:05

Deltics

[www.youtube.com]

I don´t want to be offensive, but where´s the evidence for that?
I´d rather think Keith is wearing headphones because of the keyboard (that might indeed come from tape, I don´t know... they had a hidden keyboard-player in 1981, but in 1977 it could have been a tape). I can see no reason for the headphones only because of Roger´s scream... Back then he was easily able to scream like that live... so imo, it´s just the keyboard that comes from tape, not the scream... Nowadays the scream comes from tape at least that´s what I´ve been told...Anyway, that´s my kind Of THE WHO, Keith, Ox and all of them in their prime, a trillion miles away from the lamentably torso of today.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-28 01:10 by HMS.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: May 28, 2019 01:25

HMS
Deltics

[www.youtube.com]

I don´t want to be offensive, but where´s the evidence for that?
I´d rather think Keith is wearing headphones because of the keyboard (that might indeed come from tape, I don´t know... they had a hidden keyboard-player in 1981, but in 1977 it could have been a tape). I can see no reason for the headphones only because of Roger´s scream... Back then he was easily able to scream like that live... so imo, it´s just the keyboard that comes from tape, not the scream... Nowadays the scream comes from tape at least that´s what I´ve been told...Anyway, that´s my kind Of THE WHO, Keith, Ox and all of them in their prime, a trillion miles away from the lamentably torso of today.

September 1972

"Keith started using headphones on stage in 1971 for certain numbers, which he taped to his head with gaffertape, so he could hear the backing tape for Baba O’Riley and Won’t Get Fooled Again.

Dec. 5, 1971, Crawdaddy interview: “Who Puts The Bomp” by John Swenson:
I: When did you pick up on the headphones?
KM: ’Bout halfway through the tour. The big problem was not being able to hear the tape. So we’ve got John and Pete blasting away and this tape, which is important because they take their thing off of me. I get mine off the tape so if I don’t get that, we all go and lose it."

[www.thewho.net]

"Nowadays the scream comes from tape at least that´s what I´ve been told."
That's your idea of evidence is it?

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-28 01:41 by Deltics.

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: May 28, 2019 01:35

HMS
Deltics

[www.youtube.com]

they had a hidden keyboard-player in 1981

He wasn't hidden...he was set up and visible on stage for all to see. As for "evidence," go watch any video from that tour (or any of the other tours after Moon passed away). The great Rabbit Bundrick played keyboards for them from '79-'81, with Tim Gorman in '82.

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: May 28, 2019 01:43

I think HMS is talking about Roger's scream. According to him (and he's been told by others) the current touring Who use playback for Daltrey's iconic howl at the end of WGFA

OT: The Who stuff
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: May 28, 2019 01:54

On this tour "Won't Get Fooled Again" is just Roger & Pete on acoustic. No scream, taped or otherwise.

Date: May 28, 2019 02:15

bye bye johnny
On this tour "Won't Get Fooled Again" is just Roger & Pete on acoustic. No scream, taped or otherwise.

..how tricky they arecool smiley

But during the last couple of tours (according to some sources) the torso used a taped scream.

Posted by: erad ()
Date: May 28, 2019 02:20

HMS
bye bye johnny

..how tricky they arecool smiley

But during the last couple of tours (according to some sources) the torso used a taped scream.

So basically, it's just hearsay?

The Stones use a tape for Sympathy (and have done since '89) these days, don't see you complaining about that.

Blondie also used to play behind/beneath the stage to cover for Keith in I believe 2003-2006.

Get over it.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: May 28, 2019 04:55

Re: OT: The Who Hits 50! tour
Date: August 3, 2015 22:27

Beast
...with Townshend feeling “it was one of the very worst [shows] the band had ever played”.

Oh Pete, how can you do this to me. Listened to the 100min Glastonbury-concert last week and thought it was very good.

Who do you think you are...

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: May 28, 2019 05:24

The scream is pre-recorded. It sucks, but it is. There's videos out there to prove it. In fact, I saw it here that made it real. I never wanted to believe it, but its true. And its fine, whatever. The rest is live. I'll live. But its a kick to the gonads.

As for HMS, he's entitled to his opinion but it IS getting annoying. You don't like them in the current form, we get it. I don't think many believe its the Who. But its what's left and its the singer and guitar player (who also wrote every song). Its enough for most and people are allowed to enjoy that as well. I fully support your right to have your opinion, and I even agree with it at times, but they sound fine and at this point you've said your piece in the thread. Why stay?

Posted by: marianna ()
Date: May 28, 2019 05:30

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-02-24 05:37 by marianna.

Date: May 28, 2019 16:42

marianna
The torso? Does that mean what's left of the band, or a nickname for Roger's gym rat upper body (or what it used to look like)?

The current line-up is just a torso - no Keith, no Ox = no arms, no legs.

Posted by: reg thorpe ()
Date: May 28, 2019 16:45

HMS
marianna
The torso? Does that mean what's left of the band, or a nickname for Roger's gym rat upper body (or what it used to look like)?

The current line-up is just a torso - no Keith, no Ox = no arms, no legs.

but they do have a heart and a brain

Date: May 28, 2019 16:56

shortfatfanny
Re: OT: The Who Hits 50! tour
Date: August 3, 2015 22:27

Beast
...with Townshend feeling “it was one of the very worst [shows] the band had ever played”.

Oh Pete, how can you do this to me. Listened to the 100min Glastonbury-concert last week and thought it was very good.

Who do you think you are...

That was only a joke. Who am I to correct Pete? Seriously I don´t think it was "one of the very worst shows the band ever played". The played worse shows before and after Glastonbury. Basically,it was just the same as ever since they are no longer THE WHO but a torso. Maybe Pete wasn´t happy with his guitar-playing or the overall sound at Glastonbury.

Posted by: JimmyShelter ()
Date: May 28, 2019 16:59

HMS
Nowadays the scream comes from tape at least that´s what I´ve been told.

Is it a tape? Or is it Simon?
I don't know because I haven't really checked out any of this tour's stuff yet. But I had real problems editing some of the 2016 show videos, I couldn't seem to get Roger to stay in sync even though everybody else was!
It turned out that Simon was filling in.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5758596061626364656667...LastNext
Current Page: 62 of 106

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1525
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home