Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5657585960616263646566...LastNext
Current Page: 61 of 106
Re: OT: The Who stuff
Posted by: HMS ()
Date: May 25, 2019 00:04

Hats off to Page/Plant, they are not trading their legacy for a few coins. Don´t call it The Who, don´t call it Townshend/Daltrey, Tom & Jerry or whatever - just simply call it off.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: May 25, 2019 01:55

HMS
Hats off to Page/Plant, they are not trading their legacy for a few coins. Don´t call it The Who, don´t call it Townshend/Daltrey, Tom & Jerry or whatever - just simply call it off.

Hats off to Robert Plant. Not Jimmy Page. Jimmy has been jizzing at the thought for years of touring as Led Zeppelin. Robert won't do it. He has integrity, Jimmy does not.

Just to correct your statement there.

Posted by: MisterO ()
Date: May 25, 2019 01:58

I can not believe tickets are going for $8 US in Philadelphia....

Last time I saw them was in 2002....I thought they were excellent!

Posted by: Bastion ()
Date: May 25, 2019 08:56

mnewman505
I could care less what they call themselves --- call it Pete and Roger. I mean I didn't really care that they didn't call it Led Zeppelin when I saw Page & Plant.

*couldn't care less.

Your original statement implies you already care a bit.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: May 25, 2019 09:38

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-25 15:20 by hopkins.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: May 25, 2019 10:05

I'm not a big WHO fan but Live at Leeds justifies favoritism.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: May 25, 2019 13:16

mnewman505
I could care less what they call themselves --- call it Pete and Roger. I mean I didn't really care that they didn't call it Led Zeppelin when I saw Page & Plant.

Entwistle wanted them to call themselves T.E.D. when they toured Quadrophenia with Billy Idol, Gary Glitter etc. Townshend, Entwistle, Daltrey. John was a funny man. BTW: that show was fantastic.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: May 25, 2019 17:34

Great show in St. Louis Thursday though Pete was fighting a sore throat so vocals were very rough.

Date: May 25, 2019 17:43

The SHOWS are always great nowadays from an entertaining point of view (the sound, the light-show, the video-walls, the gigantic stages). All of that is camouflating that often the artists - in this case Roger/Pete - are actually done. Put them in a small venue with three spots only, no videos, no special effects and you might be surprised how poor it would be.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: May 25, 2019 18:13

HMS
The SHOWS are always great nowadays from an entertaining point of view (the sound, the light-show, the video-walls, the gigantic stages). All of that is camouflating that often the artists - in this case Roger/Pete - are actually done. Put them in a small venue with three spots only, no videos, no special effects and you might be surprised how poor it would be.

well, it's really hard to see them shrink to U2 size…

Posted by: Woz ()
Date: May 25, 2019 18:22

slewan
HMS

well, it's really hard to see them shrink to U2 size…

U2...now there’s a band of talentless hacks if ever there was one....

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: May 25, 2019 19:14

HMS
Of course it is disappointing that the Stones did only record two albums since 2000. But at least the band is still rightfully able to call themselves The Rolling Stones (Roger/Pete are NOT since they lost core members that just can´t be replaced). Although the Stones are on a creative low level they still put on a show bursting with energy. Mick´s voice is more or less 85% what it used to be, Charlie is still a steady drummer, the guitar department is sometimes on, sometimes off just as ever. All in all they seem to be much fresher and less worn out & tired.

The group of musicians that travels as "The Who" is suffering from lack of energy, passion and last not least credibility. And their lead singer´s voice isn´t more than 35% of what it used to be (sad but true, listen to several live albums they released since 2000).

Btw, Pete nowadays sings horrible too. He´s rather bawling than singing.

When was the last time u saw them, and when and how many since Moon died? And when and how many when it was the original four?

plexi

Date: May 25, 2019 19:25

MisterO

Last time I saw them was in 2002....I thought they were excellent!

Where did u hear that? That's good, I could save a lot of money. But probably not for the Hollywood Bowl shows.

plexi

Date: May 25, 2019 22:05

timbernardis
When was the last time u saw them, and when and how many since Moon died? And when and how many when it was the original four?
plexi

Saw them only once in 1989 or 1990 and even then - still with The Ox - it just doesn´t felt quite right to me. After Entwistle passed away everything went downhill quickly...

Their Farewell-live-album "Who´s Last" (recorded in 1982) was ripped to shreds by critics (mainly) because of Roger´s voice, but actually this live album is better than any subsequent live release and better by far than anything you can see/hear these days on youtube (even if it´s low quality you can see/hear in what poor condition nowadays they are performancewise).

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: May 25, 2019 22:14

I've seen them with Entwistle twice Kenny Jones was on drums for one, and Simon Philips in the other), and yes there's certainly something missing there in regards to the bass.

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: May 25, 2019 22:39

MisterO

Buyer's market. LOTS of tickets well below face value.

[www.stubhub.com]

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 26, 2019 00:31

First saw them in '79 (or '80?) - fantastic
Again '82 - they were just OK (The Clash opening were better imo).
2007 - really weak, Rogers vocals bad and Pete not loud enough.
2016 x2 at Desert Trip - FANTASTIC!

Have reasonably priced tix w/decent seats for all three nights at Hollywood Bowl in Oct., but might have to sell show #2.
Looking forward to them, orchestra and all!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-26 00:32 by Hairball.

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: May 26, 2019 00:41

I saw them in Tinley park, IL, last Tuesday, after previously seeing them in Grand Rapids, MI - at the start of the tour. The show is now much better and there seems to be more interaction between Pete and Rodger. The sound has improved and the lighting has vastly improved. This was outdoors and the weather
was cold and rainy. For some tunes the band wore their heavy coats.

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: May 26, 2019 01:18

Got tix for Pittsburgh, on may 30th. Paid $15.50 thru StubHub.

They're nosebleeds, but it will be a good time!

Posted by: bam ()
Date: May 26, 2019 01:52

My first Who concert — the day Keith collapsed onto the drum kit in the old Boston Garden.
[ultimateclassicrock.com]

Posted by: likecats ()
Date: May 26, 2019 03:24

Hairball

Those L.A. shows were in ‘80. I saw one of them at the L.A. Sports Arena.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: May 26, 2019 04:55

68 thru 71. very many times. well 5 or so...

Central Park Sheep Meadow '68
and Metropolitan Opera House in NYC stand out
as does Merriweather Post Pavillion in Maryland
where young hungry Zep opened for them. others...
...what can you say that hasn't been said
and can't be heard or at least seen
on some vital and precious films?
The Mighty Mighty Who.

Unique; explosive; brilliant; untouchable in their prime as would be
a fleet of tanks.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-26 05:01 by hopkins.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 26, 2019 04:58

likecats
Hairball

Those L.A. shows were in ‘80. I saw one of them at the L.A. Sports Arena.

Thanks, then 1980 it was.
Can't recall if it was the Forum or Sports Arena, but leaning towards the Forum...or maybe the Sports Arena ha (will check ticket stub tomorrow).

Posted by: Donnebr ()
Date: May 26, 2019 07:11

I was at the show in Philly tonight. I got tickets on the live nation $20 day. It was a good show tonight. There were plenty of tickets available.

Date: May 26, 2019 09:26

Hairball
Again '82 - they were just OK (The Clash opening were better imo).
2007 - really weak, Rogers vocals bad and Pete not loud enough.
2016 x2 at Desert Trip - FANTASTIC!

Have reasonably priced tix w/decent seats for all three nights at Hollywood Bowl in Oct., but might have to sell show #2.
Looking forward to them, orchestra and all!

Now THREE shows at the Hollywood Bowl??

plexi

Posted by: exhpart ()
Date: May 26, 2019 11:24

HMS

It's a few years ago now but I saw them twice at 02 Indigo in London (the small club inside the 02) and they were great so I beg to differ

Date: May 26, 2019 13:12

exhpart
HMS

It's a few years ago now but I saw them twice at 02 Indigo in London (the small club inside the 02) and they were great so I beg to differ

I also went to two of those Indigo gigs and they rocked! A great venue which always makes a difference.

Posted by: ThePaleRider ()
Date: May 26, 2019 17:47

Plains of Abraham, Quebec City, 2017...250 years after the first British Invasion the Who were spectacular in front of a huge crowd. The best outdoor concert I've attended...better than the outdoor Who concert in Toronto in'82.

Baba O'Riley

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: May 26, 2019 19:55

Pete every now and then (maybe it was just Desert Trip but I think it was a few others places) still does the knee slide and IMO if that doesn't make you smile as a longtime Who fan, its hard for me to think what would. Don't think so much, its only rock n roll. One of these guys said that.

Posted by: Woz ()
Date: May 26, 2019 20:21

The Who at Desert Trip were absolutely awesome. Nothing HMS spouts here was even remotely accurate.

Also, seek out Christiano’s review of the Mexico City show for an honest take on the Who

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-27 21:01 by Woz.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5657585960616263646566...LastNext
Current Page: 61 of 106

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1938
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home