Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5455565758596061626364...LastNext
Current Page: 59 of 106
Re: OT: The Who stuff
Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: May 17, 2019 04:12

maryann with the shaky hands?
excellente
best album by far.
i know you deceive me now here's a surprise...
click click click click click click click click growwwwwwlllllll
i know that you have cuz there's cocaine magic in my eyes
click click click click click click click click DUCK!!
I KIN SEE (me feel me not necessary; overwriting) four (4 it's a code)
Miles and Miles (Excellent road song; great mileage if you're catching air!)

tattoo is better than everything on timmy, quadphrofannia, who's lastl
put together in a blender. it doesn't need a movie; it IS a movie,,,
yeh these dogs shudda hung it up in 68....

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: May 17, 2019 05:38

DGA35
So I see the final show in Edmonton was cancelled for the added show in LA. Must have been poor ticket sales. Checking online, I see Vancouver still has lots of tickets available. I got mine but I got cheaper upper bowl tickets since I just saw them in town a couple years ago.
Glad to see Liam Gallagher is the opening act. I've always been an Oasis fan but haven't followed his or Noel's solo careers.

Gallagher has swung it for me, if the who are ok I’ll stick around. I’ve seen them a few times and they were ok. I have a copy of Meaty, Beaty, Bouncy on vinyl no other studio stuff and 6-8 live albums. No disrespectful to what’s touring now but they lost it for me after Moon died. I love the energy of that stuff but the band evolved and moved on after. It’s not my thing. Eminence Front bores the tits off me... Zak Starkey is a great drummer though.

I saw Liam last year at the London stadium gig and enjoyed him. Still has a great voice. It’s been 1996 since I saw Oasis so maybe there was a bit of nostalgia but I thought he sounded ok.

Posted by: tonyc ()
Date: May 17, 2019 10:18

I just got back from Nashville to see my first Who show. Pete and Roger were in a good spirits. At one point, Pete tripped on stage and landed on the back of his head. After the song, he said he was practicing his Mick dancing and he went on about how dear friends they are and how their kids grew up together. Then, Pete joked that everyone wonder if he or Roger is going to die first and it might be him tonight. "You Better You Bet" replaced "I Can See For Miles". I thought the flow of the show was a bit uneven but I enjoyed the orchestra. They sounded crystal clear to me and drew a compliment from Pete that we have a good one here tonight. Roger is singing with full conviction and no worries about his vocals. I would say all the cheap last minute tickets pushed the arena to about 2/3 full. I know this tour is divisive but I'm glad I went.

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: May 17, 2019 10:54

tonyc
I just got back from Nashville to see my first Who show. Pete and Roger were in a good spirits. At one point, Pete tripped on stage and landed on the back of his head. After the song, he said he was practicing his Mick dancing and he went on about how dear friends they are and how their kids grew up together. Then, Pete joked that everyone wonder if he or Roger is going to die first and it might be him tonight. "You Better You Bet" replaced "I Can See For Miles". I thought the flow of the show was a bit uneven but I enjoyed the orchestra. They sounded crystal clear to me and drew a compliment from Pete that we have a good one here tonight. Roger is singing with full conviction and no worries about his vocals. I would say all the cheap last minute tickets pushed the arena to about 2/3 full. I know this tour is divisive but I'm glad I went.

Glad you had a good time Tony, what songs worked best with the orchestra did you think?

Posted by: johnnythunders ()
Date: May 17, 2019 11:21

Elmo Lewis
Go see Peter Wolf if ya get a chance. They're really risking being upstaged by him.

Saw PW supporting Tom Petty on his final tour and you are right on the money: Wolf has a great band and performs a good mix of solo tunes and JGeils hits. Admittedly I saw him on his home turf in Boston but on a good night he is one of the all-time great frontmen.

Great double bill!

Date: May 17, 2019 11:42

I liked almost all the orchestra in the first half and the end of the second half. "Sparks", "Pinball Wizard", "Who Are You", "Eminence Front", "Join Together", "The Rock" with a powerful video, "Love, Reign Over Me" with Roger giving it his all and "Baba" had a great violin solo. I thought the weakest part of the show was the end of the acoustic and the first part of Quad. They really want to give the orchestra a break in the middle and Roger leaves for a few songs later on so I get why they structure the show that way but the flow is a bit inconsistent.

OT: The Who stuff
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: May 17, 2019 19:10

5/16 review:

The Who played Nashville backed by a 48-person orchestra

Matthew Leimkuehler May 17, 2019

Andrew Nelles

[www.tennessean.com]

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 17, 2019 19:16

thumbs up

"The orchestra didn't overpower or outshine Townshend's chords or Daltrey's familiar bellow,
but added a new spectacle for Who faithful who've come to celebrate these songs for five decades".

Sounds like some of the issues have already been sorted out!

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: May 17, 2019 20:41

tonyc
kovach
To anyone who has seen them this tour:

Approximately what time have The Who been hitting the stage? Relative to the stated start time on the ticket?

I might be running late so would like to know how late I can be and not miss them.

Thanks!

I'm going tonight. It starts at 7:30.

I followed Grand Rapids song by song and it was around 8:45 to 11.

I have seen other reports that most of the opening acts are doing 30 minutes so following the break I think being there by 8:30 should get you there in time.

Thanks! We're those guesses pretty accurate?

Date: May 17, 2019 21:04

kovach
tonyc
kovach

Approximately what time have The Who been hitting the stage? Relative to the stated start time on the ticket?

I might be running late so would like to know how late I can be and not miss them.

Thanks!

I have seen other reports that most of the opening acts are doing 30 minutes so following the break I think being there by 8:30 should get you there in time.

I missed by one minute! Lukas Nelson & The Promise Of The Real was 30 minutes. The Who from 8:29-10:44.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-17 21:05 by tonyc.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: May 18, 2019 23:05

Hairball
thumbs up

"The orchestra didn't overpower or outshine Townshend's chords or Daltrey's familiar bellow,
but added a new spectacle for Who faithful who've come to celebrate these songs for five decades".

Sounds like some of the issues have already been sorted out!

They're just polite in the South.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: May 18, 2019 23:29

People just go! It’s a great show!

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: May 19, 2019 01:49

tonyc
kovach
tonyc
kovach

Thanks!

I missed by one minute! Lukas Nelson & The Promise Of The Real was 30 minutes. The Who from 8:29-10:44.

Thanks for the info!

Posted by: ThePaleRider ()
Date: May 20, 2019 00:57

What a beautiful ending to the concert...when the violinist come on at 5:21...amazing. I wasn't sure about this 'orchestra ' tour...but I can't wait now. Something bold, something different at least. The Who still got it.

Baba O'Riley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-20 01:11 by ThePaleRider.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: May 20, 2019 01:50

ThePaleRider
What a beautiful ending to the concert...when the violinist come on at 5:21...amazing. I wasn't sure about this 'orchestra ' tour...but I can't wait now. Something bold, something different at least. The Who still got it.

Baba O'Riley

Pete salutes Roger for his 'courage and audacity' in coming up with the idea.
Very nice.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 20, 2019 04:06

wonderboy
ThePaleRider

Baba O'Riley

Pete salutes Roger for his 'courage and audacity' in coming up with the idea.
Very nice.

Very nice, and a far cry from “I just think this is a shit idea Roger had" which he said less than two weeks ago. thumbs up

Posted by: erad ()
Date: May 20, 2019 05:59

hopkins
excellente
best album by far.

Dude are you okay?

Seriously, every post of yours is nonsensical...

Date: May 20, 2019 06:08

hopkins

You left out Live at Leeds...

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: May 20, 2019 10:30

erad
hopkins
excellente
best album by far.

Dude are you okay?

Seriously, every post of yours is nonsensical...

He just wants attention and now we have given it to him. He is no Rockman.

plexi

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-20 10:31 by timbernardis.

Posted by: steverogan ()
Date: May 20, 2019 19:11

I saw The Who at MSG w/orchestra. I thought it was a great show. Here is Love Reign O'er Me.
[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: steverogan ()
Date: May 20, 2019 19:12

Same MSG show... Tour debut of " I Can See For Miles".....
[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-20 19:15 by steverogan.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: May 20, 2019 19:59

Neve seen/heard a more lame version of "Miles". Sorry, but they are done. Blessed are those who still can enjoy it. Me personally - I can´t, no matter how hard I try.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: May 20, 2019 20:18

HMS
Neve seen/heard a more lame version of "Miles". Sorry, but they are done. Blessed are those who still can enjoy it. Me personally - I can´t, no matter how hard I try.

I thought that was fine. Dare I say, really good. Obviously its not the Who of old, and also thats a song that is just kind of there. Don't get me wrong, love I Can See For Miles. But it doesn't really build. It starts at a level and stays there. its more of a groove than anything else. I thought they did a great job with it. Roger sounded good, Pete did some great guitar work, the song keeps moving. I'm all for shitting on a band past their prime. Personally, I can't do that based on that example. They sounded absolutely fine. I've heard them way worse.

Date: May 21, 2019 02:40

HMS

It's a cell phone video...I'm sure it sounded much, much better in the room...

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: May 21, 2019 15:23

RollingFreak
HMS

I thought that was fine. Dare I say, really good. Obviously its not the Who of old, and also thats a song that is just kind of there. Don't get me wrong, love I Can See For Miles. But it doesn't really build. It starts at a level and stays there. its more of a groove than anything else. I thought they did a great job with it. Roger sounded good, Pete did some great guitar work, the song keeps moving. I'm all for shitting on a band past their prime. Personally, I can't do that based on that example. They sounded absolutely fine. I've heard them way worse.
HMS is hopelessly addicted to contrarianism.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: May 21, 2019 16:39

I miss the energy and the passion in Roger´s singing... it all sounds tired and worn out. He used to have one of rock´s greatest voices, but now it´s gone, no wonder at the age of 75. Another thing sadly missed is The Ox - his persona, his usual spot in the show and most of all the incredible energy of his playing, an essential part of The Who. And I am not even talking about one of the most unique drummers in Rock-history. The loss of these two men marks the end of The Who. Some of Rock´s dinosaurs age gracefully and some do not. Roger & Pete unforunately do not.

Date: May 21, 2019 21:16

HMS
Some of Rock´s dinosaurs age gracefully and some do not. Roger & Pete unforunately do not.

Very unnecessary age-shaming, HMS....If you don't know what that means, you'll find out...

Posted by: thegroove ()
Date: May 22, 2019 18:56

Last night The Who played the Chicago area show.The weather was awful for an outdoor show.Very windy and chilly.The show itself was pretty enjoyable with the orchestra adding a nice element to the songs from Quadrophenia and Tommy.The opening band ReignWolf was heavy heavy music.They got a great bass drum sound.My favorite tunes from The Who were The Rock ...Drowned.....Join Together....Baba O.....on and on.Unlike any other time I have I have heard them.Love to hear this at an indoor show.Long Live Rock

t

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: May 22, 2019 19:10

They have been running radio ads here in Detroit for the upcoming show, which is still selling horribly despite the ticket fire-sale.

(insert BIG ANNOUNCER VOICE heresmiling smiley
THE WHO is finally MOVING ON!

Then they play Roger's classic Won't Get Fooled Again scream...
YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
Full powered electric riffs that crash into MY GENERATION and Pinball Wizard.

Not a single mention of an orchestra.

You've been warned...

Posted by: reg thorpe ()
Date: May 22, 2019 19:55

Kurt
They have been running radio ads here in Detroit for the upcoming show, which is still selling horribly despite the ticket fire-sale.

(insert BIG ANNOUNCER VOICE heresmiling smiley
THE WHO is finally MOVING ON!

Then they play Roger's classic Won't Get Fooled Again scream...
YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
Full powered electric riffs that crash into MY GENERATION and Pinball Wizard.

Not a single mention of an orchestra.

You've been warned...

I appreciate the fact that The Who are trying something new and different by bringing an orchestra into the mix and they are in the process of producing a new album of material be it good/bad or mixed... I give them a pass; at least they are not sitting on their laurels by dragging out the old greatest hits package show done a million times before.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5455565758596061626364...LastNext
Current Page: 59 of 106

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1820
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home