Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5354555657585960616263...LastNext
Current Page: 58 of 106
Re: OT: The Who stuff
Posted by: Valeswood ()
Date: May 15, 2019 14:23

crholmstrom
just found out Liam Gallagher is opening in seattle. that's a plus in my book. saw him on tv when the new record came out & he sounded great. hmmmmm

I thought he was pretty poor at London Stadium last year. Glad he didn't get to duet with Mick that day.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: May 15, 2019 14:36

TornAndFried
ukcal
albeit sonically neutered?..please explain,

as I met the Ox in 96 at Manchester Arena, and he was in top form. Thought he had a small hearing aid or maybe he had left his stage ear plugs in or what ever they are called nowadays

I think he means that on The Who's 1989 tour John Entwhistle was required to keep his stage volume low so as not to upset Pete Townshend...who was having difficulty performing due to his painful tinnitus and played only acoustic guitar on the tour. A combination of medication and audio therapy as well as advances in sound technology enabled Townshend to perform more comfortably and by 1996 he began playing electric guitar again and "The Ox" was able to return to a more formidable onstage volume.

Even in '96, John was still using a much smaller and quieter bass rig at Who concerts than the one he used at his own John Entwistle Band gigs. The JEB actually sounded more like the old, Live At Leeds era Who than The Who did at that point.

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-15 14:37 by tatters.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: May 15, 2019 15:38

tatters
TornAndFried
ukcal
albeit sonically neutered?..please explain,

as I met the Ox in 96 at Manchester Arena, and he was in top form. Thought he had a small hearing aid or maybe he had left his stage ear plugs in or what ever they are called nowadays

I think he means that on The Who's 1989 tour John Entwhistle was required to keep his stage volume low so as not to upset Pete Townshend...who was having difficulty performing due to his painful tinnitus and played only acoustic guitar on the tour. A combination of medication and audio therapy as well as advances in sound technology enabled Townshend to perform more comfortably and by 1996 he began playing electric guitar again and "The Ox" was able to return to a more formidable onstage volume.

Even in '96, John was still using a much smaller and quieter bass rig at Who concerts than the one he used at his own John Entwistle Band gigs. The JEB actually sounded more like the old, Live At Leeds era Who than The Who did at that point.

[www.youtube.com]
Goddamn, you can just hear the volume thundering in that recording even if you're not listening to it loud.

Posted by: ukcal ()
Date: May 15, 2019 16:13

Acoustic guitar and pony tail if I remember correctly, the US tour warm up shows at the NEC in 82 ...louder than anything including zz top

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: May 15, 2019 17:37

Watched some of the recent clips and it was horrible beyond my wildest dreams. Roger & Pete, PLEASE stop pretending and go home fishing or something... that´s not THE WHO, that´s not almost what is left of THE WHO. The way these guys damage their image is ridiculous. Roger´s voice for instance was in bad bad shape in 1982 but still ten times better than today. There is zero energy in these recent performances, a bad joke IMO.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: May 15, 2019 19:16

HMS
Watched some of the recent clips and it was horrible beyond my wildest dreams. Roger & Pete, PLEASE stop pretending and go home fishing or something... that´s not THE WHO, that´s not almost what is left of THE WHO. The way these guys damage their image is ridiculous. Roger´s voice for instance was in bad bad shape in 1982 but still ten times better than today. There is zero energy in these recent performances, a bad joke IMO.

Roger was in strong voice as "recently" as 1989, but the 3-hour-long shows they played on that tour did irreparable harm. I noticed a drastic deterioration when he did that "Daltrey Sings Townshend" solo tour in '94. He'd start out okay, but in some instances, his voice was pretty much gone by the second song. Special guests were employed on the 1996-97 Quadrophenia tour mainly so that Roger wouldn't have to sing the entire show all by himself.

Posted by: MrMibbs ()
Date: May 15, 2019 19:26

HMS
YOU COULD NOT BE MORE WRONG !!!!

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: May 15, 2019 19:32

Roger's voice is okay not really strong though - at best singing around the notes
on the you tube clicks from grand rapids.

Date: May 15, 2019 20:22

Not only his voice has long gone, he moves very very slow like a man who´s body is aching all over... what a sad sight to see. And Pete... oh my goodness... with his red scarf and no hair at all he looks like some sort of Nosferatu... yes, we all get older and so on, but these two guys surely missed the point when to stop. They don´t leave in style, instead of that they ruin their well-earned reputation, it´s a pity indeed. And I am afraid this will not be the last tour, they just can´t resist the money. Are all the fans out there at the concerts deaf dumb & blind not to notice what´s going on?

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 15, 2019 20:32

Enough with the trolling HMS - you've made you're point loud and clear.
Isn't there a Dirty Work thread you can go back to? winking smiley

"Some sort of Nosferatu"...lol

Posted by: MrMibbs ()
Date: May 15, 2019 20:42

HMS
Not only his voice has long gone, he moves very very slow like a man who´s body is aching all over... what a sad sight to see. And Pete... oh my goodness... with his red scarf and no hair at all he looks like some sort of Nosferatu... yes, we all get older and so on, but these two guys surely missed the point when to stop. They don´t leave in style, instead of that they ruin their well-earned reputation, it´s a pity indeed. And I am afraid this will not be the last tour, they just can´t resist the money. Are all the fans out there at the concerts deaf dumb & blind not to notice what´s going on?
ZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: May 15, 2019 21:49

tatters
HMS

Roger was in strong voice as "recently" as 1989, but the 3-hour-long shows they played on that tour did irreparable harm. I noticed a drastic deterioration when he did that "Daltrey Sings Townshend" solo tour in '94. He'd start out okay, but in some instances, his voice was pretty much gone by the second song. Special guests were employed on the 1996-97 Quadrophenia tour mainly so that Roger wouldn't have to sing the entire show all by himself.
Well part of the issue is he had nodes on his vocal cords! I just saw them in Grand Rapids and his voice was fantastic!

Date: May 15, 2019 22:19

His voice isn´t "fantastic" anymore since who knows when. You guys pay a lot of money to see the show and so you only hear what you want to hear and only see what you want to see. That´s alright with me, but - with all respect - it´s just a trick of the mind. It´s easy to be fooled by the "glory of the moment".

They released several live albums like Quadrophenia or Hyde Park and with all studio tricks applied his singing is very very weak. Go listen for yourself if you don´t believe me. If you are looking for Roger with his voice in "fantastic" shape, you will have to get on a time machine. That´s the only way. His voice is gone, his energy is gone, his charisma is gone. Saying that isn´t trolling it´s just plain truth... Next time they go on tour both Roger & Pete will be sitting on bar-stools for two hours and people will still cheer and think what a fantastic show it was...

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: May 15, 2019 22:42

To anyone who has seen them this tour:

Approximately what time have The Who been hitting the stage? Relative to the stated start time on the ticket?

I might be running late so would like to know how late I can be and not miss them.

Thanks!

Posted by: marianna ()
Date: May 15, 2019 23:35

Roger sounded okay in the "Magic Bus" clip from MSG. I don't know what you'd expect from that type of voice at that age. There are only two of them. It's not the same as when they had Entwistle (or Moon). It sounds adequate, considering.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: May 16, 2019 06:29

[www.dailymail.co.uk]

Roger Daltrey loses his cool with fans smoking cannabis at a gig in New York
The singer, 74, moaned during a concert that he is allergic to cannabis smoke
The incident happened during The Who’s Moving On! tour of North America

Ha ha ha ha smoking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-16 06:30 by 35love.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: May 16, 2019 07:45

The Who joins Jimmy and The Roots to perform their hit classic "Won't Get Fooled Again" with classroom instruments.

Video: [www.facebook.com]

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: May 16, 2019 07:56

I don't care what any of you negatives say, I plan on seeing both Hollywood Bowl shows in October.

plexi

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 16, 2019 08:20

Cristiano Radtke
The Who joins Jimmy and The Roots to perform their hit classic "Won't Get Fooled Again" with classroom instruments.

Thanks Cristiano, that was great! smiling smiley

I anticipated the end, and it was just as I hoped for!

Posted by: ukcal ()
Date: May 16, 2019 11:04

The full blurb on support acts and the fact its going very well!!...what else would thewho.com say

THE WHO ADD THIRD HOLLYWOOD BOWL SHOW ON FALL LEG OF 2019 MOVING ON! TOUR
SPECIAL GUESTS LIAM GALLAGHER, PETER WOLF, DEAD HORSES AND REIGNWOLF FOR AUTUMN TREK

“…tastefully blended rock and richness, bolstering the songs with well-fitted layers of sonic shimmer and, when appropriate, bombast.” – Billboard Magazine

The Who have added a third Hollywood Bowl date to the fall leg of their 2019 North American MOVING ON! TOUR. Due to intense demand, the new show will take place on October 24, following the two previous Hollywood Bowl dates on October 11 and October 13. It’s the first time in the band’s celebrated history that they’ve played three dates at the historic venue during one touring cycle. The Bowl dates will also mark their first appearance at the famed amphitheater since a two-show run they performed there in April and May of 2006. Tickets for the Hollywood Bowl go on sale Friday, May 17th at 12pm local time at LiveNation.com. The Who Fan Club pre-sale runs from Tuesday May 14th 12.00pm PDT until Thursday May 16th at 10.00am PDT. If you are already a member of The Who Fan Club the code you were given on joining will be valid for the pre-sale.

The Who also announced an exciting lineup of special guests opening up for the band on selected dates throughout the autumn leg of the trek: Oasis front man Liam Gallagher, iconic Boston rocker Peter Wolf, and Canadian indie/blues band Reignwolf and Dead Horses. Gallagher will open the third Hollywood Bowl show on October 24. The outspoken singer known for his electrifying stage presence and unblinking perspective released his debut solo album As You Were in 2017 to worldwide acclaim. The album went platinum in the UK and top 40 in the U.S., with the singer currently working on his follow-up album and readying a much-anticipated documentary on his return to music, Liam Gallagher; As It Was, which traces his road back to the rock spotlight. The Who just wrapped up the first week of shows on the kick-off leg of MOVING ON!, performing to a sold-out crowd in New York City’s rock cathedral Madison Square Garden on Monday night.

Details of all dates on the 2019 tour plus ticket links can be found here.

The concert scheduled for Roger’s Place, Edmonton, AL on October 23 has been cancelled. All tickets will be refunded.
North American Fall Dates
SPECIAL GUESTS

Peter Wolf

Reignwolf

Dead Horses

Liam Gallagher

Sept 6 Xcel Energy Center, St. Paul, MN. Special Guests: Reignwolf

Sept 8 Alpine Valley Music Theatre, Alpine Valley, WI. Special Guests: Dead Horses

Sept 10 Blossom Music Center, Cuyahoga Falls, OH. Special Guest: Peter Wolf

Sept 13 Fenway Park, Boston, MA. Special Guest: Peter Wolf

Sept 15 Northwell Health at Jones Beach Theater, Wantagh, NY. Special Guests: Reignwolf

Sept 18 State Farm Arena, Atlanta, GA. Special Guests: Reignwolf

Sept 20 BB&T Center, Ft. Lauderdale, FL. Special Guests: Reignwolf

Sept 22 Amalie Arena, Tampa, FL. Special Guests: Reignwolf

Sept 25 Toyota Center, Houston, TX. Special Guests: Reignwolf

Sept 27 American Airlines Center, Dallas, TX. Special Guests: Reignwolf

Sept 29 Pepsi Center, Denver, CO. Special Guests: Reignwolf

Oct 9 Chase Center, San Francisco, CA. Special Guest: Liam Gallagher

Oct 11 Hollywood Bowl, Los Angeles, CA. Special Guests: TBA

Oct 13 Hollywood Bowl, Los Angeles, CA. Special Guests: TBA

Oct 16 Viejas Arena at Aztec Bowl San Diego State University, San Diego, CA. Special Guest: Liam Gallagher

Oct 19 T-Mobile Park, Home of the Seattle Mariners, Seattle, WA. Special Guest: Liam Gallagher

Oct 21 Pepsi Live at Rogers Arena, Vancouver, BC. Special Guest: Liam Gallagher

Oct 24 Hollywood Bowl, Los Angeles, CA. Special Guest: Liam Gallagher

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: May 16, 2019 13:36

35love
[www.dailymail.co.uk]

Roger Daltrey loses his cool with fans smoking cannabis at a gig in New York
The singer, 74, moaned during a concert that he is allergic to cannabis smoke
The incident happened during The Who’s Moving On! tour of North America

[youtu.be]

BTW, the age obsessed Daily Mail, which mentions everyone's age in every article, got it wrong. Daltrey is 75.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: May 16, 2019 15:43

Cristiano Radtke

That was fun.

I often find Fallon to be too cloying and cutesy, but he seems to be a nice guy.

Posted by: tonyc ()
Date: May 16, 2019 15:44

kovach
To anyone who has seen them this tour:

Approximately what time have The Who been hitting the stage? Relative to the stated start time on the ticket?

I might be running late so would like to know how late I can be and not miss them.

Thanks!

I'm going tonight. It starts at 7:30.

I followed Grand Rapids song by song and it was around 8:45 to 11.

I have seen other reports that most of the opening acts are doing 30 minutes so following the break I think being there by 8:30 should get you there in time.

Posted by: Madcap ()
Date: May 16, 2019 16:45

What the hell is Dead Horses? I’m going to the Alpine show and was kind of hoping there wouldn’t be an opening act since it’s on a Sunday night.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: May 16, 2019 16:56

Go see Peter Wolf if ya get a chance. They're really risking being upstaged by him.

Posted by: daniel t ()
Date: May 17, 2019 01:13

HMS

Sorry but, although I'm the Stones biggest fan, Pete's playing is far superior than Keith and Ronnie combined these days.

Posted by: daniel t ()
Date: May 17, 2019 01:16

Was there an interview? Did they play a song, apart from the ''classroom instruments'' bit?

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: May 17, 2019 04:05

maybe next project just drop all that shit;
they got a good drummer;
find a bass player like pino or someone in that sick jazzy thump nuts zone...
there's a few of 'em; or just take someone who is really studied and give
him tons of vodka and coke non stop for a month; that should do it,
ok; three cats work it out; don't phone mommy for your brother;
roger needs to dye his hair and start working out; that fringy shit
that sucked at woodstocck would be cool now; he should check craigslist in
senior citizen heavy areas....what else...who stuff...yeh turn up the guitar...
if he goes completely deaf, so much the better; beethoven considered it a challenge. zak needs to sing a country song; maybe squeeze box,
if you're gonna raid the dam beetles, exploit them. half of them are with meher baba; a quarter of them lost his shit in 72 but everybodys scared to tell him....
beatlemania; a simlation; like a blow up doll that's hoarse; tho that does
get some people off i hear; what else. they like the look of each other now?
super. now that it looks like a bingo party in the old age home for developmentally disabled....super....see me, wow do i have to...
feel me, keep praying loser, touch me, wallet first, heal me,...yeh i'm dr. drew pete's a drunk you're over thirty years before this century.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: May 17, 2019 04:06

well 25

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: May 17, 2019 04:10

So I see the final show in Edmonton was cancelled for the added show in LA. Must have been poor ticket sales. Checking online, I see Vancouver still has lots of tickets available. I got mine but I got cheaper upper bowl tickets since I just saw them in town a couple years ago.
Glad to see Liam Gallagher is the opening act. I've always been an Oasis fan but haven't followed his or Noel's solo careers.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5354555657585960616263...LastNext
Current Page: 58 of 106

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1809
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home