Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5253545556575859606162...LastNext
Current Page: 57 of 106
Re: OT: The Who stuff
Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: May 13, 2019 00:19

Roger has a great head of hair.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: May 13, 2019 01:01

keefriff99

That´s almost all he has to offer these days. These two guys who call themselves The Who although they aren´t should retire as soon as possible. Haven´t seen them live since 1989 but their last live albums (Hyde Park, Quadrophenia) were very very weak and disappointing. No Moonie, no Ox, no The Who. I would never ever pay a lousy dime for a ticket. They carry on for the money but in fact they are done, done, done, done. I used to love The Who (as long as they were The Who) and it´s sad to see it end this way.

Posted by: ThePaleRider ()
Date: May 13, 2019 02:23

HMS
keefriff99

That´s almost all he has to offer these days. These two guys who call themselves The Who although they aren´t should retire as soon as possible. Haven´t seen them live since 1989 but their last live albums (Hyde Park, Quadrophenia) were very very weak and disappointing. No Moonie, no Ox, no The Who. I would never ever pay a lousy dime for a ticket. They carry on for the money but in fact they are done, done, done, done. I used to love The Who (as long as they were The Who) and it´s sad to see it end this way.

You are so wrong about all that. The best concert I've seen the last few years were the Who at Quebec City. They played great and sounded great in an outdoor venue on a warm summer night. They earned a lot of money and they made thousands of fans very happy. That's rock and roll...

Posted by: Mr.D ()
Date: May 13, 2019 02:27

There's an excellent recording by Lostbrook 2.0 up on DIME this afternoon:[www.dimeadozen.org]

The Who

Moving On! Tour
Show #3

May 11, 2019
Jiffy Lube Live
Bristow, VA
USA

Lostbrook 2.0 Volume 303

Source: CA11(cards)>SPSB-12>Sony M10(24/48)

Transfer: Sony M10>Micro SDHC>PC>Sound Forge 10>WAV 16/44.1>Trader's Little Helper>FLAC(level 8)

Taper/Transfer: Lostbrook
Covers: ethiessen1

01 Intro (1:04)
02 Overture (5:52)
03 It's A Boy (0:40)
04 1921 (3:03)
05 Amazing Journey (3:34)
06 Sparks (4:07)
07 Pinball Wizard (3:26)
08 We're Not Gonna Take It (9:51)
09 Who Are You (7:18)
10 Eminence Front (6:36)
11 Imagine A Man (4:57)
12 Join Together (7:25)
13 Substitute (3:53)
14 The Seeker (3:51)
15 Won't Get Fooled Again (7:07)
16 Behind Blue Eyes (5:19)
17 Tea & Theatre (4:24)
18 The Real Me (3:52)
19 I'm One (3:11)
20 The Punk And The Godfather (5:16)
21 5:15 (6:49)
22 Drowned (4:35)
23 The Rock (6:48)
24 Love, Reign O'er Me (9:47)
25 Baba O'Riley (8:42)

Time: 2:11:41

Roger Daltrey - vocals, guitar, harmonica, tambourine
Pete Townshend - guitars, vocals
Zak Starkey - drums, percussion
Simon Townshend - guitars, backing vocals
Jon Button - bass, backing vocals
Loren Gold - keyboards, backing vocals
Billy Nicholls - backing vocals
Katie Jacoby - violin
Audrey Snyder - cello

Orchestra conducted by Keith Levensen

Date: May 13, 2019 02:27

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: May 13, 2019 02:46

HMS
keefriff99

So you didn't see The Who 1989 ... you saw something else...

Date: May 13, 2019 02:53

shortfatfanny
HMS
keefriff99

LOL, good catch.

Posted by: mosthigh ()
Date: May 13, 2019 03:02

shortfatfanny
HMS
keefriff99

89 did have The Ox - albeit sonically neutered, but it it easily the most reviled all all 'Who' tours (referred by many as: "The Who on Ice"), with an unknown guitarist mostly handling the electric parts, and basically Townshend's Deep End band as backing.

I think on a good night these days there is still plenty of classic Who-type energy - although on not-so-good ones Townshend can get distracted and sloppy.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: May 13, 2019 04:17

Heard part of a Roger and Pete interiew on Sirius Radio channel 26 earlier this evening. They sounded in good form. Pete has a novel coming out.
I heard they answer a question about a fire at a Fillmore Show back in the day when they were doing Tommy. Apparantly a plainclothes policeman tried to grab the mike from Roger and Pete kicked him in the nuts. Both gave good answers -- Roger was still amused, Pete was apologetic.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: May 13, 2019 04:55

Mr.D
There's an excellent recording by Lostbrook 2.0 up on DIME this afternoon:[www.dimeadozen.org]

The Who

Moving On! Tour
Show #3

May 11, 2019
Jiffy Lube Live
Bristow, VA
USA

Lostbrook 2.0 Volume 303

Source: CA11(cards)>SPSB-12>Sony M10(24/48)

Transfer: Sony M10>Micro SDHC>PC>Sound Forge 10>WAV 16/44.1>Trader's Little Helper>FLAC(level 8)

Taper/Transfer: Lostbrook
Covers: ethiessen1

01 Intro (1:04)
02 Overture (5:52)
03 It's A Boy (0:40)
04 1921 (3:03)
05 Amazing Journey (3:34)
06 Sparks (4:07)
07 Pinball Wizard (3:26)
08 We're Not Gonna Take It (9:51)
09 Who Are You (7:18)
10 Eminence Front (6:36)
11 Imagine A Man (4:57)
12 Join Together (7:25)
13 Substitute (3:53)
14 The Seeker (3:51)
15 Won't Get Fooled Again (7:07)
16 Behind Blue Eyes (5:19)
17 Tea & Theatre (4:24)
18 The Real Me (3:52)
19 I'm One (3:11)
20 The Punk And The Godfather (5:16)
21 5:15 (6:49)
22 Drowned (4:35)
23 The Rock (6:48)
24 Love, Reign O'er Me (9:47)
25 Baba O'Riley (8:42)

Time: 2:11:41

Roger Daltrey - vocals, guitar, harmonica, tambourine
Pete Townshend - guitars, vocals
Zak Starkey - drums, percussion
Simon Townshend - guitars, backing vocals
Jon Button - bass, backing vocals
Loren Gold - keyboards, backing vocals
Billy Nicholls - backing vocals
Katie Jacoby - violin
Audrey Snyder - cello

Orchestra conducted by Keith Levensen

Useless trivia. The Who orchestra conductor Keith Levenson is Beck’s father

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: May 13, 2019 07:38

mosthigh
shortfatfanny
HMS
keefriff99

89 did have The Ox - albeit sonically neutered, but it it easily the most reviled all all 'Who' tours (referred by many as: "The Who on Ice"), with an unknown guitarist mostly handling the electric parts, and basically Townshend's Deep End band as backing.

I think on a good night these days there is still plenty of classic Who-type energy - although on not-so-good ones Townshend can get distracted and sloppy.

If you can consider the Who with the Ox still alive (I do) and Ringo's son on drums, their tour in 99/2000 was excellent. Definite Who energy and they were all playing and singing great. The live album from that time is definitely up to Who standards IMO even though I obviously agree its hard to have the Who without Keith Moon. But what they did then was pretty remarkable. I agree they probably should have hung it up when John died. I really enjoyed the show I saw in 2011 or so, but I know its not the Who, its just what's left. Still good though. Roger sounded great and Pete is still a masterful guitarist with a strong voice left.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: May 13, 2019 15:27

With Detroit only 2 weeks away, the majority of the floor seats remain unsold. I may grab one if they come down in price, but right now anything close to the stage is over $300. I'll keep an eye on it ....

Posted by: ukcal ()
Date: May 13, 2019 17:21

albeit sonically neutered?..please explain,

as I met the Ox in 96 at Manchester Arena, and he was in top form. Thought he had a small hearing aid or maybe he had left his stage ear plugs in or what ever they are called nowadays

Posted by: rbk ()
Date: May 13, 2019 17:34

I saw the opening night and to paraphrase Lemmy it was "Everything Quieter Than Everything Else." I learned from friends (who worked the show) that Zakk played electronic drums because putting mics on real drums would pick up the orchestra and make an aural mess. Hence Zakk looked, but didn't sound, as explosive as his usual self. He was pulling double duty playing with the conductor and orchestra via a click track and then (with mixed success) counting the band into the arrangement while following the click track. Sometimes they'd be off and it would be a bit of racket until he could get everybody in line. They were still getting the show dialed in, I realize, but the sound had no dynamics.

Pete initially thought he was in Detroit but was fortunately apprised of his correct location in time for the obligatory shout outs. I kept waiting for a Townsend power chord to roll over me but it never came. Again, they were obviously trying to find the sweet spot between the band and orchestra.

I had assumed they'd work for several days, at least, with our local orchestra toget things dialedin for our show and the future. Instead they rehearsed with a "pick up" orchestra in Orlando and apparently flew to GR on show day and walked on cold.

I liked the opening Tommy segment better than the "Quadrophenia" perhaps because they had expanded more on Tommy while they closely followed Quadrophenia.
"Emminence Front" was breathtaking. "Imagine a Man" was beautiful and a great surprise. "The Seeker" crashed as the band and orchestra got out of sync with Pete barking at the end "Roger, this was a sh*t idea!!!" and then proceeding to explain how he created the original track piecemeal. "Won't Get Fooled Again" acoustically (with the violin and cello) was pretty cool but it was at this point that the fair weather fans realized they weren't going to get the bombastic Who at all. Indeed,the extensive advertising for the show (and tour) made no mention of the orchestral accompaniment. Thy must have calculated it would scare off more ticket buyers than it would attract so they sort of lied by omission.

All in all I gave it an A for effort and a B-/C+ for execution. I may go back to see it in Detroit next week just to see if it evolved.

Date: May 13, 2019 17:38

Zakk's kit did look odd...the cymbals looked like thick pancakes. It makes sense that he was playing an electronic kit though.

Posted by: Woz ()
Date: May 13, 2019 17:56

The reviews are disappointing., I hope the show gets better or they ditch the orchestra.

Posted by: JimmyTheSaint ()
Date: May 14, 2019 02:12

I very much enjoyed the show in Buffalo. There were some sound issues early, but nothing that was too off putting.

Daltry still sings a razor line everytime. He's a real pro.

Long live rock!

Posted by: forsure ()
Date: May 14, 2019 02:30

I also really enjoyed buffalo. Fun night out, pulled 4th row in from of petecfew days before the show for $125. I’d do it again tomorrow

Posted by: mnewman505 ()
Date: May 14, 2019 15:20

Hey it's going to be a very inexpensive evening for me in Detroit -- $20 ticket, $10 prepaid to park. How bad can it be?

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: May 14, 2019 15:45

mnewman505
Hey it's going to be a very inexpensive evening for me in Detroit -- $20 ticket, $10 prepaid to park. How bad can it be?

smileys with beer

Posted by: tonyc ()
Date: May 14, 2019 15:57

I have never seen The Who. I had a ticket for a few years ago in Louisville but they canceled the original date and I could not do the rescheduled one. I'm going to Nashville on Thursday. I was too young to see the peak years but I'm excited about this one and look forward to Roger being in good voice, the added sound of the orchestra and reworkings of some of the hits. "I Can See For Miles" was added to MSG which is one of my favorite hits of theirs so I hope it stays in the setlist. I'm disappointed I paid full price for my ticket on the first day of sale when they just had the $20 National Concert Week deal but it's not the end of the world. Nashville has thousands of seats available so I hope they don't do a last minute cancel. But, if they do I will get a full refund or I will finally get to see them. Either way I'm good.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: May 14, 2019 16:19

I listened to the Virginia show. OK tape. I was underwhelmed but it is still early in the tour. For me the orchestra has neutered 1 of the greatest rock bands ever. Kind of sucks the life out of the performance. Few & brief flashes of brilliance from Pete & Zak Starkey has to play electronic drums to a click track. There's a bit of fire when the orchestra takes a break but that's about it. Will check back as tour progresses. "I Can See for Miles" is a nice addition. Would like to hear that.

Posted by: MrMibbs ()
Date: May 14, 2019 18:17

Saw them last night at MSG WOW! Incredible show!! do not know what the complaints are about... Put out as much if not more than the other band always talked about here.

Posted by: daniel t ()
Date: May 14, 2019 23:06

Great show in Quebec City in 2017. I don't get why people complain... At least, they try to present something different. A new album is coming. Roger still has a great voice and Pete can rock the place.

My band is the Stones but, to be honest, their last 6-7 tours were exactly the same. I find it funny that people accuse The Who of doing it ''just for the money''... Why would their motivation be different from the Stones'???

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-14 23:07 by daniel t.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 15, 2019 00:04

Third date added for the Hollywood Bowl Oct. 24 with presales happening now.

EDIT: w/Liam Gallagher opening who I assume might open for the other two Hollywood Bowl shows?
As far as I know, those two shows haven't had an opener listed yet.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-15 00:10 by Hairball.

Posted by: Woz ()
Date: May 15, 2019 00:45

I just finished listening to the 5/11 show posted here.....not bad at all and it will only get better!

OT: The Who stuff
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: May 15, 2019 03:32

MSG review by Bobby Olivier of nj.com:

The Who’s titanic concert tour, with full orchestra in tow, is its grandest : review

Matt Smith

[www.nj.com]

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 15, 2019 05:18

Thanks bye bye johnny.

“No shouting,” Pete Townshend yelled, chastising the cheering crowd. “It’s a f***ing opera!”

grinning smiley

Seems it's all part of the act - grumpy Pete at his best.

"Considering the boundless vision Townshend shed upon these sprawling albums decades ago,
as the projects that would push The Who beyond its previous pop-rock restraints and into a space far more radical,
this latest reality — which features the 73-year-old luminary windmill-strumming his six-string surrounded by violins,
french horns, bassoon and timpani — must resemble what he’d always imagined these songs could (and should) be".

I'm sure he loves it, but won't admit it as it was Rogers idea to bring on the orchestra!

Looking forward to Pete yelling at me when I stand, shout, and applaud as loud as I can. winking smiley

Posted by: TornAndFried ()
Date: May 15, 2019 05:45

ukcal
albeit sonically neutered?..please explain,

as I met the Ox in 96 at Manchester Arena, and he was in top form. Thought he had a small hearing aid or maybe he had left his stage ear plugs in or what ever they are called nowadays

I think he means that on The Who's 1989 tour John Entwhistle was required to keep his stage volume low so as not to upset Pete Townshend...who was having difficulty performing due to his painful tinnitus and played only acoustic guitar on the tour. A combination of medication and audio therapy as well as advances in sound technology enabled Townshend to perform more comfortably and by 1996 he began playing electric guitar again and "The Ox" was able to return to a more formidable onstage volume.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-15 06:12 by TornAndFried.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: May 15, 2019 10:41

just found out Liam Gallagher is opening in seattle. that's a plus in my book. saw him on tv when the new record came out & he sounded great. hmmmmm

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5253545556575859606162...LastNext
Current Page: 57 of 106

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1754
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home